Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Shopkeepers

YordoYordo Member Posts: 831
Today there was a new headline on the UXO website about shopkeepers and NPC's selling the best items in the game along with the players.  Even though I'm not the crafter/artisan type, I think that this wrecks those professions, making it much harder for crafters to be successful in the game.  In my opinion, a player-run economy is best.  This way at the beginning of the game the prices are reasonable and the items that are available coincide with the levels of the players.

::Revan::Yordo::
EQ2
Guild Search

Comments

• LebowskiLebowski Member Posts: 147

But there is no crafting in UXO. There's only imbuing weapons.
    Considering that the shopkeeper system sound nice and the right way to go.

When life tastes like lemmon, take tequila and salt.

When life tastes like lemmon, take tequila and salt.

• YordoYordo Member Posts: 831
    Imbuing weapons will not have as big of a function then with the all-including shopkeepers.

EQ2
    Guild Search

• redtigerredtiger Member Posts: 124
    I disagree. I think the imbued weapons will be more important in this case. An imbued weapon will definitely be more powerful in the long run than any magic weapon you can get from a shopkeeper. Plus the bought weapons will decay over time where as the customized weapons will gain stats as the character does. So the more you advance in the game the stronger your personalized weapons/armor will become making it worth much more than your average longsword+1

I hope your right because if not those shopkeepers could wreck the game :(

EQ2
    Guild Search

I think the devs added the decay factor for the shopkeeper gear to cover the impact they'll have on the economy aspect of the game. You'll still have to go out and kill and loot in order to get weapons that won't decay over time and those are the only weapons you can imbue i think (correct me if i'm wrong here). Since there isn't crafting in the economy right now, it's is going to be a pretty straightforward system to start with. I'm sure that if the devs come up with a really cool way of doing player created items other than the intelligent weapons,  we might see something more interesting in future expansions.

Decay is good if it's controlled.  I dont know who would like it when a really expensive item breaks after a day's use :(

EQ2
    Guild Search

• flootieflootie Member Posts: 100

To be quite honest, Yordo..I am really not too concerned about shopkeepers taking away from the game...albeit it a very important and intersting part of the game..imbued weapons compaitively will not be affected by such a large trade with vendors....

I am wondering, if there are no vendors, and no crafting, then how do you anticipate being able to purchase items?

Originally posted by Yordo

Decay is good if it's controlled.  I dont know who would like it when a really expensive item breaks after a day's use :(

EQ2
    Guild Search

I agree about the controls for it. I'd think that the weapons won't have a rate of decay that fast though. I'm sure that it's all integrated into the combat system (infact, I think i read that in the descriptions posted on the website). I figure that after many uses in combat and after a fair amount of time your greatsword from Ye Local Shoppe will crumble into a pile of dust. I highly doubt it will in one day....unless of course you decide to attack a horde of ettins by yourself or something.

• Calandryll_Calandryll_ DeveloperMember Posts: 43

Originally posted by Yordo
    Imbuing weapons will not have as big of a function then with the all-including shopkeepers.

EQ2
    Guild Search

Shopkeepers don't sell imbueable or levelable items. So even if you find a really good weapon on a shopkeeper, you're still going to want to find a looted weapon because it won't decay and because it might be imbueable and/or levelable. The best shopkeeper weapons will never be as good as the best looted weapons of the same type. Shopkeeper items are meant as a way to get you an item if you haven't looted one you like yet and/or to try out weapon varients before deciding what kinds you keep and what kinds you sell as loot.

-Jonathan "Calandryll" Hanna
    Lead Designer, Ultima X: Odyssey

• Calandryll_Calandryll_ DeveloperMember Posts: 43

Originally posted by flootie

To be quite honest, Yordo..I am really not too concerned about shopkeepers taking away from the game...albeit it a very important and intersting part of the game..imbued weapons compaitively will not be affected by such a large trade with vendors....
    I am wondering, if there are no vendors, and no crafting, then how do you anticipate being able to purchase items?

The old fashioned way. You'll buy them from players who are actively selling them. We have a market chat channel and the ability to click and drag an item into the char entry bar. When you hit enter and send your message, other players can click on the item and see its stats.

So you could type: Selling great sword, 2,000 gold!  serpentine longsword

And players could click where it says serpentine longsword to see all of the item's stats and properties. It'll make selling items really easy while still maintaining the interaction between buyer and seller that creates good communities.

Lead Designer, Ultima X: Odyssey

• Regal_TRRegal_TR Member Posts: 249
    Sounds like a GREAT system, thanks for the heads up, and if it helps, is there any chance beta could start january 26th? I kind of have a week off.. :P

I hope that beta starts in either February or March. January 26 would be nice though :)

EQ2
    Guild Search

• DukaseenDukaseen Member Posts: 33

Ya, if it starts in Jan it will be better, the quicker the beta starts the quciker the rest of us can get our hands on. = ) Well thats the idea at least :P

-Dukaseen-

• flootieflootie Member Posts: 100

Just for a little more info...here is a screenshot of the shopkeeper interface

• ErichM5ErichM5 Member Posts: 10
    Yea... no crafting kinda depressed me.... but then again, if the game is fun, who would want to craft!  I'm glad they're focusing on making things fun and such.  As far as beta goes, Wish beta is ending in a few days... would be nice to play this =D.  The only real complaint I have is that on the uxo.ea.com website, the FAQ answer to beta says info will be posted very soon (last updated 11/7/2003). It's been over 2 months, nearly 3!  I guess since the only complaint I really have about the game is my inability to get my hands on it, it should be pretty good =).

Man I'm awsome

Man I'm awsome