Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Getting an Xbox 360...

2»

Comments

• InflictionInfliction Member Posts: 1,115
    From all I can tell, all the good 360 games are on PC as well, and some of the PC versions of those games have better graphics than their 360 counterparts.

• royevansroyevans Member Posts: 213

Originally posted by Infliction
    From all I can tell, all the good 360 games are on PC as well, and some of the PC versions of those games have better graphics than their 360 counterparts.

this is because 1) xbox is a part of microsoft aka a computer and 2) a computer has a bigger hard drive thus more power ultimately leading to better grphfx!

Warning: The above message contains extreme sarcasm.oderint dum metuant

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217

Originally posted by royevans

this is because 1) xbox is a part of microsoft aka a computer and 2) a computer has a bigger hard drive thus more power ultimately leading to better grphfx!

I fail to see how that makes a difference to the graphics. It does make a difference as to how much data is packed within the hard drive, obviously, but it "gives more power"?

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

yes because in order to make the fx to look better they have to use more data which in turn uses hardrive space which is why the fx on a pc looks better than on a consloe.

yes because in order to make the fx to look better they have to use more data which in turn uses hardrive space which is why the fx on a pc looks better than on a consloe.

Yep, that's what I said. You said it gives more power, which in turns gives better graphics.

Originally posted by Anageth

I fail to see how that makes a difference to the graphics. It does make a difference as to how much data is packed within the hard drive, obviously, but it "gives more power"?

its what you said (highlighted in blue) here are the specs for the xbox 360:

Xbox 360 Technical Specifications

General

General Power requirements:

Refer to ratings plate on power supply unit

Dimensions (approximate):

310 x 80 x 260 mm (12 x 3 x 10 in)

Mass (approximate):

3.5 kg (7.7 lb)

Operating temperature:

5 °C to 35 °C (41 °F to 95 °F)

Inputs/Outputs

• Memory Unit ports (2)
    • USB ports (2 front, 1 rear)
    • Ethernet port
    • AV Port
    • DC IN power port
    • IR remote receiver
    • Wireless: 2.4 GHz Digital Spread Spectrum (up to four players)

Custom PowerPC-based CPU

• 3 symmetrical cores running at 3.2 GHz
    • 2 hardware threads per core (6 hardware threads total)
    • 1 MB L2 cache
    • 2.7GHz Front Side Bus

Custom ATI Graphics

• Processor 500 MHz clock speed
    • 10 MB embedded DRAM (256GB/s)
    • 48-way parallel floating-point dynamically scheduled shader pipelines
    • Unified shader architecture

Memory

• 512 MB GDDR3 RAM
    • Unified memory architecture

Note

Because the Xbox 360 system software uses some of the memory from the hard drive and memory unit when installed, less than the stated memory is available to the user.

High Definition Game Support

• All games support 16:9 widescreen, anti-aliasing, and high-definition video (720p minimum)
    • Standard definition and high-definition video output supported

Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.

compare that to the most recent pc and the 360 will look like a NES next to a ps2

Originally posted by Anageth

its what you said (highlighted in blue) here are the specs for the xbox 360:

compare that to the most recent pc and the 360 will look like a NES next to a ps2

Yes, I mean in terms of hard drive "power". Not the other specs.

oh... hmmmm...... here's an example: if a car has 150 hp and a mortor cycle has 200 which on has te most power? another one if the 360's hard drive pops out 500mil polygons a min and a pc lets out 1bil a min which one will ahve the most power?

oh... hmmmm...... here's an example: if a car has 150 hp and a mortor cycle has 200 which on has te most power? another one if the 360's hard drive pops out 500mil polygons a min and a pc lets out 1bil a min which one will ahve the most power?

I'm so confused, I was talking about you saying the hard drive is directly proportionate to the quality of the graphics, which is not completely right.

no that is right because fx need space aka harddrive and the more space the better the fx!

• AlcananAlcanan Member UncommonPosts: 268
    I like my Xbox but at the moment the 360 has only ONE good game for it...There selection really sucks. If you plan on buying a new system avoid the hype and look good and hard at the selection of games and those comming soon because all of the cool features in the world don't help if you have nothing to play.

Alcanan

"The True North Strong and Free"
    "Faith Manages"

• NimuelNimuel Member UncommonPosts: 163
    I dont like consoles because, well, they're consoles, which means they're 'dumb', and i mean that in as in the technical term 'dumb'. It's simply such a limited system, games are only a small part of the real fun, and if you increase the functionality of a console, well, that just makes it a cheapo version of a PC.

Ofcourse, I enjoy Painting on the computer and programming simple stuff to be much more entertaining than playing games, which explains my point of view :P

*i wrote a couple of more paragraphs but i removed it cause there's really no point* :P

"Religion is fundamentally opposed to everything I hold in veneration - courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and, above all, love of the truth." - Henry Mencken

"With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion." - Steven Weinberg

"And what would you do with a brain if you had one?" - Wizard of Oz

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Then I guess it is a good thing that the 360 exceeds the graphical limits of all TVs and HDTVs. All the added power on a PS3 will really add is decreased loading times.

Take that back, since Sony has approved root kit usage on titles for online security as well as to reinforce copyright all that extra power may mean you have to buy games before you try them, unlike being able to rent them on the 360.

• kyo|Nekokyo|Neko Member Posts: 10

no that is right because fx need space aka harddrive and the more space the better the fx!

uh .. if you by fx mean ... graphics ... then ... lol you = stupid ^-^ now go read some about computers and come back ... space isnt required for ANYTHING .. i have a ps2 no .. freaking ... harddrive .. BUT ! memory is important memory on the gfxcard + on the motherboard is very important but, the size isnt the most important .. its SPEED !
    a motercycle has better accelaration and speed then a car ... with the same horsepower why ?.
    Course it only focuses on one thing ! speed ..
    A car can take passengers (well a bike can aswell but lets leave that) so a fully loaded car with 5 people in ( a pc with windows xp running + firewall + antivirus + other stuff + game) seee where im going. :)
    A bike with a passenger on ( xbox 360 + Game ) oh and another passenger ( xbox 360+ game + music) :)
    So basicly the xbox doesnt need to be as powerfull  to be as fast as the car ^-^
    Also the xbox 360 uses a different technology then the pc -_- so plz :) i have the 360 it rox. is it better then my pc ? nope :) why ... becourse i can use my pc for alot of stuff other then gaming ..
    Is my pc fun with friends over ? not really ... is the xbox 360 YES :D

Now see the xbox 360 or consolles generally is for 1 thing and 1 thing only FUN. you dont surf the net for info on it (yet hehe) you watch movies with your friends (or alone :P) play games. Talk with people over the net (which ofc is easier on the pc with stuff like ventrilo :) )

so basicly xbox 360 is for one thing pc is for another you cant compare em... and all this ps3 vs 360 shut up already lol buy one of each .. and if you cant afford one go with the kind of games you like generally xbox = action and driving, ps = rpgs and shoot em up games, fighting games etc now i like both :) so .. im getting one of each problem solved eh :)

now ill shut up and plz .. harddrive = thingy to put games on so they load faster .. since it would be troublesome with 2000+ cd (trust me the amistrad with tapes was hell lol) :D (and yes you can have a pc without a harddisk .. yes you can ... i said yes ... -_-  linux ... :) now sho sho

"They may not be heard, their cries may fall upon deaf ears, but make no mistake, the dead do speak."

• methane47methane47 Member CommonPosts: 3,701

Actually you're wrong. more harddrive space doesn't mean anything. in fact the X360 and PS3 don't even need to put anything on the harddrive. The only reason they will is because harddrives are faster to access then optical disk. like to access a bit on a harddrive would take 8 micro seconds Disks will take 8 milli seconds... So they temporary place large things on the harddrive so that the game will be smoother, shorter load times etc etc.. The real thing that would have a direct effect on graphics power is the size of the RAM.. while this still doesn't directly effect graphics.... There is still a relation because if you have 64Mbs RAM then there is no way you're gonna be able to display a 70Mb picture on screen all at once.

What's your Wu Name?
    Donovan --> Wu Name = Violent Knight
    Methane47 --> Wu Name = Thunderous Leader
    "Some people call me the walking plank, 'cuz any where you go... Death is right behind you.."
    <i>ME<i>