Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New MMOGCHART.com Results - What do they suggest

13»

Comments

• InvaderInvader Member Posts: 22

I read the first few replies to this post, but didn't bother to read the rest.

I'm not sure if it was mentioned, but in MY opinion, yes, games do tend to try to imitate others without bringing much of anything new to the table.

I would imagine MOST players are 18 and older, with most of those players having a wife/girlfriend, husband/boyfriend, kids, and a JOB. I would say that most of us don't have the time to play most of these games. That's what turned me off of WoW, I just don't have TIME for the endgame. Nor the desire, but that's another story.

I think that things need to change if these gaming companies want to be successful. All it is to them is how to make the biggest time sink. And ya can't really blame them, that's how they make their money. But if their 1-way thinking doesn't change soon, if they can't actually THINK of new ideas to keep us casual players playing, ( because I think MOST of us are casual players) then we are just going to find other ways to entertain ourselves.

Like I said, this is all my opinion, but I would say the end game has a lot to do with it. Who wants to join up with 50 other people and raid a dungeon for 4 hours? And I would say that this type of end game is probably in most games, not just WoW. It's the biggest time sink of all. And like I said, if the programmers/developers don't change their ways of thinking, the whole business may be in trouble on down the line.

• LeGrayLeGray Member UncommonPosts: 65

Originally posted by Invader

I would imagine MOST players are 18 and older, with most of those players having a wife/girlfriend, husband/boyfriend, kids, and a JOB.

that used to be the way BEFORE wow. wow was hyped, almost everyone wanted to play it. look at the endgame or the pvp grind, only kids or unemployed are able to invest that time. wow attracted MANY MANY teens, thats the one of the reasons they have that subscriber numbers.

Originally posted by gestalt11
    I think BC is very likely to crash the last bit of their reputation; they've been hyping it as the solution for all nonraider woes, but from the actual information they've released it's a very temporary solution.

yeah, they thought t0.5 would appeal to casuals - farming the same instances another hundred times. or meeting stones would be a valuable lfg-solution. heck, they even classify the darkmoon fairy as content !
    with every patch blizzard proves that they have absolutely no clue what the players want or how to keep them satisfied at least.

slightly OT, sry ;)

• SouldrainerSouldrainer Member Posts: 1,857

Originally posted by reavo
    MMOGCHART.COM

Thank you for transcribing a summary of the article.  The way the colors clash on that site, it's far too painful to read, ever.

Error: 37. Signature not found. Please connect to my server for signature access.

• SirBruceSirBruce Member Posts: 95

Originally posted by apertotes

Originally posted by SirBruce
    I don't think all that many people are quitting WoW yet.  The average customer life is over 14 months now.  And a lot of people who have quit are expected to come back to WoW when the expansion finally comes out.
    Bruce

hi SirBruce. is this 14 months you are taling about the average life of a WoW customer or an all-game average customer life?

and if it is a WoW customer average life, can you explain where do you get that data from? i mean, does Blizzard public that kind of information or it can be calculated from sales and suscriptions?

is there any web page that lists average customer life for the most popular MMORPGs?

and thanks a lot for your great work.

14 months is the average WoW customer life.  For MMOGs in general, you hear various things; I used to hear 8-10 months, but others say the number is closer to 12.  These are "insider" numbers that people inside the industry exchange with-each other; there's no way to calculate this and no definitive list on a per-game basis to use.  It's just a good rule of thumb; every game is different.

Bruce

Analyst, Consultant, Writer
    http://www.mmogchart.com

Originally posted by Souldrainer

Originally posted by reavo
    MMOGCHART.COM

Thank you for transcribing a summary of the article.  The way the colors clash on that site, it's far too painful to read, ever.

Sorry you don't like blue and purple on white.  Myself, I find it a very refreshing change from the dark backgrounds that populate most other gaming sites.

Bruce

• HelldogHelldog Member Posts: 169
    People who left other MMO's to play WoW are now leaving WoW and not
    liking what is out there.  So they're just choosing not to play
    anything.  In other words, everyone is trying to be the new WoW and
    veteran MMO players aren't looking for another WoW.  So they're saying
    everything new stinks and waiting for something else.  Hmmm...  I
    wonder what that is?

for me...

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

14 months is the average WoW customer life.  For MMOGs in general, you hear various things; I used to hear 8-10 months, but others say the number is closer to 12.  These are "insider" numbers that people inside the industry exchange with-each other; there's no way to calculate this and no definitive list on a per-game basis to use.  It's just a good rule of thumb; every game is different.
    Bruce

Your numbers don't show this degradation...

Originally posted by Vyava

Bruce

Your numbers don't show this degradation...

What "degradation"?

Bruce

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

What "degradation"?
    Bruce

Are you serious? Attend a statistics class.
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

What "degradation"?
    Bruce

Look, you made a friend

What "degradation"?
    Bruce

Okay, I did that.  Now, what "degradation" are you talking about that my data don't show?  Seriously, just say it.

Bruce

Originally posted by Torak

Look, you made a friend

I wouldn't mind so much if I knew what he was talking about.

Bruce

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Personally I think what is happening is that a lot of veterans are starting to leave WoW for other games.  With their subscription numbers on the rise again, other game companies are now willing to write down subscriber numbers that haven’t been accurate for several years so they can publicize their currently rising numbers. 

• LathialLathial Member UncommonPosts: 166

What "degradation"?
    Bruce

Okay, I did that.  Now, what "degradation" are you talking about that my data don't show?  Seriously, just say it.

Bruce

Its painfully obvious, of course.  Your degrading data is degrading from a lack of statistical degradation!

Lath