Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC worst failure since MxO and SWG?

Comments

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883
    Good to see ya, Masta! Hail to the mightiest of NT's
  • ChrillchenChrillchen Member Posts: 22
    im just getting so f****** tired of u and all i got to say is that u sounds more stupid then LEEROY!

DaoC-43 Ranger-Excalibur
    WoW-43 Paladin-Twilights Hammer

• spungerspunger Member Posts: 42
    What crack are you smoking? AoC is bringing a whole new revolutionary combat system with pvp politics like in SB. What more can you want? If you want more PvE content, just play WoW. If you want real time combat instead of target mob, spam 1,2,3,4 ect ect, then play AoC. A game that actually will require skill is always more fun than just spamming keys...
  • RomokoRomoko Member Posts: 95
    Sounds to me like it'll be a WoW all over again. The whole, OMG!! this is going to be soooooo awsome! - then once it has come out - Geez! this is really cool! ( acually thinking that this is lame, but there are so many ppl playing it that there has to be something fun. ) Stop leading yourself into another dead end! WoW was so hyped up it was insane... People, don't get caught up in the hype, make your own decisions!

• Fenrir767Fenrir767 Member Posts: 595
    I ain't getting caught up in the hype I just think it could be good and am looking forward to it.

• FrenziFrenzi Member Posts: 34

Originally posted by Romoko
    Sounds to me like it'll be a WoW all over again. The whole, OMG!! this is going to be soooooo awsome! - then once it has come out - Geez! this is really cool! ( acually thinking that this is lame, but there are so many ppl playing it that there has to be something fun. ) Stop leading yourself into another dead end! WoW was so hyped up it was insane... People, don't get caught up in the hype, make your own decisions!

Actually its the 40 man raiding that is killing WoW.....if they released lots of little 5 man dungeons like Dire Maul I think more would still be playing it.

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    Me thinks a lot of the naysayers posting here are those that are afraid their own chosen favorites (Vanguard, Warhammer Online) are threatened by this potential sleeper hit.

I don't think I need to say more, as the proof WILL come out in the pudding.  I think this game is going to seperate the men from the boys.....literally.

• pingofdeathpingofdeath Member Posts: 83

Originally posted by Romoko

Right because a game with 6.5 million active subs HAS TO SUCK!!!!

Insert generic anime quote/My Chemical Romance lyrics here.

• HajenHajen Member Posts: 50
    How many threads are you going to make about how badly this game sucks? i think it´s going to be great anyway. Now you have 3 threads about the same thing, plz its enough!
  • spherisspheris Member Posts: 5

Not my opinion.

Knowledge is the weapon

• Xbuster231Xbuster231 Member Posts: 39
    yes this game will be a true disaster, for the .00000001% who actually gives a crap about lore more than the gameplay
  • ImplantmakerImplantmaker Member Posts: 27
    Not anything new...???? they are implementing a totaly new combat system man. Well, at least I am looking forward to try this game out

• macabrespmacabresp Member Posts: 15
    I have a lot of hope for this game.  The only thing that concerns me so far is that the combat system sounds similar to DDO's.  The premise is good, but DDO combat was just missing something IMO.  I hope AoC's combat is superior to DDO.
  • Xbuster231Xbuster231 Member Posts: 39

There just has to always be a nay sayer, even if a game had the hardware power to host 1000 vs 1000 siege battles thered still be someone saying it isent providing anything new, the fact is this game has way more new things than games coming out and is the furthest game from a EQ or WoW clone

1/10 troll score

• Silver.Silver. Member Posts: 368

Another Fanboy VS Sceptical Discussion...

Cheers! I'm out ::::28::::
    ---------------------------------------------

• ResetgunResetgun Member Posts: 471

Reposting my message from official AoC forums:

My pessimistic prediction is that the game is going to be pretty average that really doesn't offer anything new to genre. It might improve some areas, but nothing really revolutionary isn't coming.

Game world is going to be tuned down version of Conan's brutal world. It is going to be static like others game worlds, Player cities are going to be instanced to own zone and they are going to be pretty meaningless "great looking buildings" like AOs cities - instead of reason to fight. PvE content is going to be "kill X monster Ys" and "deliver X for Y in place Z". First 20 levels are going to offer bit change for this.

PvP is going to be same old class-level-equipment shit. PvP servers are filled with gankers who like to sneak to newbiew zones and kill lower level players (who can just run and hope that higher level player get bored and leaves area). Combat is going to be more interactive, but holy healer-tanker-damage trinity is hiding behind scenes. Pulling is going to be standard combat practice.

After character creation, you are not allowed to change your character's hair color, hair style or weight. Every 5 level you need to find new equipment, because your old equipment magically stops working. Crafters can't change items colors or styles: they don't know how to do that cool level 23 helmet for level 43 player and change its color red. Crafters are also so good in crafting that they are able to replicate their previous work flawlessly. In fact, all crafters are connected magically together and they are replicating each others work. At level 80, all players from same class, are going to look same with their uber raid gear. Interesting enough, all players have same looking equipment when they start game.

Fanboys and girls are going to be bunch of donkeys who think that feature X in patch Y is going fix everything. Any word against feature X is doomed to be heretical. They like to watch forums 24/7 and wait developer posts. When they spot developer posting, they quickly reply to developer message with single word "first!". After that, first 3 pages in the thread are going to be filled by fanboy/girl noise. At page 3 in message 5, you will spot first legitimate question or comment to developer's post.

First level 80 character is played by group of kids who shared same account. They killed chickens 24/7 first 2 weeks in same farm. After that, they will post their "uber template" to forums and all min-max players are going instantly change to this chicken farm template. If those min-max players spot another player that doesn't follow chicken template, they will immediately announce that she is noob who doesn't know how to play game and kick her out from team. Chinese farmers will start farming best raid dungeons after 2 days of release and first bot program will see daylight after month. About 25% players are going to be kids who borrowed their daddy's credit card. These kids want to 1) pull, 2) see boobs, 3) beg money, 4) see boobs, 5) wonder why priest didn't heal them, 6) see more boobs, 7) jump around and 8) see boobs.

After release, developers are going to be using half of their effective work time to PvP content. Other half is used for "rebalancing classes" and fixing bugs that were mostly caused by PvP changes and rebalancing. After two years from release, armor crafters will get their first post-release armor. Generally developers will change their plans every financial quarter and they doesn't have long term vision from the game.

Game developers are also disconnected from game’s community. They really don't know what game’s problems are and what players want. They know that forums are filled up with white noise generated by fans, whiners, home-grown game visionaries (like me) and heavy moderation messages. They also know that most of players, who have already quit game, didn't really give honest answers to mandatory exit poll. Quitters just wanted to quit game and fill 58 mandatory questions as fast possible. So they will get great idea! They are going hire 3rd party consult company to find out what players want. Consult company interviews 5 random guys from the streets, write 421 pages long bullshitreport and send 6-digit invoice. Naturally, the big boss in the game company doesn't want that look like completely idiot when receiving invoice, so he demands that developers are going to convert game to more iconic Conan world...

Funny thing is that, if my pessimistic predictions are going to be true (launch is successful and most of features are in game), then AoC is going to be best fantasy MMORGP all time.

"I know I said this was my last post, but you my friend are a idiotic moron." -Shadow4482

• maxantomaxanto Member Posts: 778

Originally posted by DaBearman

Originally posted by HyborianHero

I'm wondering if anyone else besides myself is feeling the dark cloud that is starting to hang over this game? It seems as more tidbits of information is released that AoC is offering nothing new. In fact the game seems to be actually falling behind some of the games currently available.
    It seems FunCom has hooked onto the Conan name in order to make some easy cash. But apparently their interest in REH's Hyboria begins and ends there. Conan fans on the AoC forums point out the multitude of areas that FC appear to be simply ignoring. I think this game is going to be an absolute disaster. At least for true Conan and REH fans.
    Unfortunately it may live long enough to be the stellar success that Anarchy Online is. And yes I was being sarcastic. As there is certainly enough people who want nothing more then to prove their l33t status to anyone in ear shot in PvP. No doubt to me, that after the initial tide of interest in the release fades, subscriptions will drop off fast and furious.

My problems aren't with the lore in. My problems are with the way their headed with things. The way it's looking this will just be another snorefest from FC like AO is.  They're also making everything revolve around guilds and trying to steer everyone into guilds, so that signals failure to me. The devs there all seem to be of the "we're cooler than Blizz and Mythic" mentality and have let their bloated heads cloud their judgement. If I was a FC investor I'd be making the call to sell my stock asap. This game is going nowhere but out in their "border lands" where hardly anyone will be playing it.

MMORPG stands for massive multiplayer online role playing game.... not the massive multiplayer bit? All MMORPG's should steer people towards working together. Doesn't AoC have a long single-player portion in the beginning?

I can't take this complaint to be vaild what so ever. I think this person should stick to single player games...
  • DilliusDillius Member Posts: 1
    It's not even reached a real beta yet and people are already calling it's downfall? Amazing.

"We rode on the winds of the rising storm,
    We ran to the sounds of the thunder.
    We danced among the lightning bolts,
    and tore the world asunder."
    -Robert Jordan (Crossroads of Twilight)

• EQTarbosEQTarbos Member Posts: 130

Originally posted by HyborianHero

I'm wondering if anyone else besides myself is feeling the dark cloud that is starting to hang over this game? It seems as more tidbits of information is released that AoC is offering nothing new. In fact the game seems to be actually falling behind some of the games currently available.
    It seems FunCom has hooked onto the Conan name in order to make some easy cash. But apparently their interest in REH's Hyboria begins and ends there. Conan fans on the AoC forums point out the multitude of areas that FC appear to be simply ignoring. I think this game is going to be an absolute disaster. At least for true Conan and REH fans.
    Unfortunately it may live long enough to be the stellar success that Anarchy Online is. And yes I was being sarcastic. As there is certainly enough people who want nothing more then to prove their l33t status to anyone in ear shot in PvP. No doubt to me, that after the initial tide of interest in the release fades, subscriptions will drop off fast and furious.

This guy must play WoW LOL    man you can't say any of that garbage atleast funcom is listening to the people on the fourms.
    personaly i think it is looking like the best mmorpg that is comming out soon what else is better? Myst online HAHAHAHA
  • olddaddyolddaddy Member Posts: 3,356

Okay, I rerad the original books and liked them, but do I expect an exact duplicate of the books, with no crusader/paladin type class etc....no. And here's why, the Conan series of books were not about MMORPG, they were single hero adventures. Crom, Conan may have gone into battle with some companions, but generally they either got wasted, or he got seperated from them, and went on to finish the story solo. Disappointed because I cannot name my Cimmerian character Conan and go out and bash things singlehanded...no. This is about the Age of Conan, not about Conan. Disappointed because not all the lands of Hyboria are present at launch, well maybe Funcom is thinking about expansions if the game takes off. Disappointed because I should join a guild, maybe there's supposed to be guild vrs guild combat...

Look, as a guild players can build a village and manage it up to a city. Do it successfully and you attract alot of crafters. Do it more successfully then other guilds and you can recruit new members with neat stuff. Rival guilds should realize this, and be out to knock your guild capabilities down. That means raids on your village to pillage and burn. Want to build your guild village, your architects appear to need to quest for blueprints, hopefully crafters cannot purchase knowledge from the local Walmart. This means the guild leader (thankless job) has to balance protecting his guild area with raiding the other guilds and adventuring to gather knowledge that will advance his craftsmen. May need to make guild alliances too, but how far do you trust your allies? Multi guild raid, hah, why all you guys go out and attack, my boys will be burning your villages. Wasn't much honor among Hyborians during the time of Conan, and even he butchered his allies on occassions if there was something in it for him. This game actually promises more anarchy then AO. And some say it doesn't offer anything new?

• KungfubarKungfubar Member Posts: 34
    only new thing i've seen from this game is mount fighting, and I don't think that it will be as impressive as they are trying to make it sound.
  • Kasp3rKasp3r Member Posts: 67

this thread is retarded.

can anyone who took part in this thread please, not buy the game so you can spare us all with your pathetic rambling.

the game aint even out and already "Its a failure!".

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by Kungfubar
    only new thing i've seen from this game is mount fighting, and I don't think that it will be as impressive as they are trying to make it sound.

look closer bub:

1.) Directed, SKILL based combat

2.) true formation combat (IE. not just a tool for fast transport between battles)

3.) Crafting levels gained by comepleting dynamic quests, not by grinding

4.) Divided PVE and PVP skills, stats, exp, and loot tables

5.) No "kill X mobs of type Y" missions

6.) Multiple sensory systems, enemies can potentially see, smell, and/or or hear you.

7.) Stealth that highly depends on both what your wearing, and your environment. You can never "poof" in the middle of a fricken street in daylight

8.) Need based NPC AI, characters in a city will move about, eating, drinking, talking, working, lighting bonfires when night comes, going to sleep, etc.

9.) Siege combat (Yes, Shadowbane did that before, but badly. Also, your enemy here are human mobs as often as other players)

10.) Spellweaving, with which multiple spells can be woven together into an extremely deadly entity. Failing the delicate process can have disastrous consequences for the caster though.

11.) Soul Corruption, the more magic one uses, the more you get, if not carefull, the caster can go mad, striking at freind and foe alike.

12.) true collision detection for weaponry, if you wing a melee weapon, and it passes through two enemies, it damages both, and not just the one you happened to be targeting.

13.) Near FPS style system for the use of ranged weaponry.

14.) Magic users and priests that do not remotely qualify for the "glass cannon" description.

15.) Preists are much more usefull as an active contributing member of the team than as a buffbot, even if those programs were allowed.

16.) A setting that hasnt been scrubbed squeeky clean, it will never be "politically correct"

There is more, but I've got to run, my job calls me away

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway

• UglekUglek Member Posts: 22

While I am hoping AoC will be true to Howards setting I just do not think Funcom can pull it off.  Look at there track record with AO.....

Saying that I still may buy the game one because a decent amount of players I know are going to try it and two because I enjoy Howards writting and I would love to see it done even part way done in a MMORPG.

• AelfinnAelfinn Member Posts: 3,857

Originally posted by Uglek

While I am hoping AoC will be true to Howards setting I just do not think Funcom can pull it off.  Look at there track record with AO.....
    Saying that I still may buy the game one because a decent amount of players I know are going to try it and two because I enjoy Howards writting and I would love to see it done even part way done in a MMORPG.

Their track record with AO tells us they cant pull off releasing a game before properly testing it, and that they will have the best customer service around, both in terms of bug fixes and ingame support.

Considering the fact that they are taking their time to be sure everything is right in AoC, the first point is moot.

No man is an island, entire of itself; every man is a piece of the continent, a part of the main. any man's death diminishes me, because I am involved in mankind, and therefore never send to know for whom the bell tolls; it tolls for thee.
    Hemingway