Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

noob class?

pwncoreypwncorey Member Posts: 56

torrenting the game now,

any thoughts on a fun, open ended noob class.

(open ended = multiple roles... a hybrid you might say)

Comments

• starman999starman999 Member Posts: 1,232

Well.....

To break it down for you. The adventurer is probably the most versatile class in the game as hybrid goes. Its basically a cross between a Doc and a tank. You basically get to be a decent healer and a decent fighter and there are some nice travel speed nanos that allow you to get places quicker.

If you are looking for the easiest class to play (especially solo) then Martial artist is the way to go. Most of the classes in the game require you to spend huge amounts of time and credits looking for weapons and armor. At least the MA only needs the armor which is usually easier to find. MA kills fast and is pretty easy to figure out where to put the skill points. Not having any ranged attacks can be a problem in PVP but makes no difference whatsoever versus mobs because they run up to you regardless of whether they are using a ranged weapon or not.

Critical thinking is a desire to seek, patience to doubt, fondness to meditate, slowness to assert, readiness to consider, carefulness to dispose and set in order; and hatred for every kind of imposture.

• beautyisinbeautyisin Member Posts: 405

Martial Artist every time, any other class and a noob will be gimped for a long time because of lack of experience/money.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by starman999

Not having any ranged attacks can be a problem in PVP but makes no difference whatsoever versus mobs because they run up to you regardless of whether they are using a ranged weapon or not.

QFT :)

The AI in AO is pretty weak, one of the reasons melee classes are a good option. :) 

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361
    I am by no means and Ao vet, as i only played for a month.  However I played an Adventurere and found him to be a fun well rounded class.  While I wasn't rolling in cash, I was able to keep him pretty well equiped by running tons of door missions and using that addon (spacing on the name) to sort through them for the upgrades I wanted.  I also seem to recall many players saying that MA was a great class for begginners (as stated above).

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• ncbwilsonncbwilson Member UncommonPosts: 11

I'd try either a Martial Artist or Adventurer until you get the hang of the interface then maybe roll an alt for something different. You can create up to 7 or 9 toons on your account at anytime so give several a try.

• pwncoreypwncorey Member Posts: 56

yea, i made an enforcer at first... no thanks.

then a soldier.. bleh.

martial artist is pretty cool atm, they hit hard. but get hit hard as well...

im thinking about just making an adventurer but ive got a question... whats the deal with the parrot above the persons head when your picking your class? just decorations or do i get a pet later on?

honestly i wanted to play a beurocrat... they sound like a bamf class but i stayed away seeing as the class had a HARD to play rating.

• beautyisinbeautyisin Member Posts: 405

Have you maxed evades? the Ma class is dependant on evades, so max them and you should be evading most attacks.
    As for the Advy question they are a shapeshifting class so can shift later on in game to parrot, wolf, cat, dragon, i think the parrot just represents the link to nature, as the adventurer class is not a pet class. Although if i recollect correctly you can get a couple of leets to follow you around, but they are just a bit of fun. The three pet classes are Metaphysicist, Bureaucrat and Engineer, and of the three i would choose engineer.

These classes are all a good choice: Adventurer, keeper, Agent, Soldier, Doctor. but it's all down to personal preference.

• paadepaade Member Posts: 471
    Fixer is a nice choice, you can choose to be a thief type or a full blast nuker at later lvls.

If you choose a fixer, dont go with dual sub guns. It can be a pain to find improved dual wieldable weapons.

• pwncoreypwncorey Member Posts: 56

im loving the adventurer actually!

great soloer and team class... just what i was looking for.

• theratmonkeytheratmonkey Member Posts: 684
    I still think adventurers should have some kind of pets.
    I don't know though. That might just make them a bit too powerful.

Groovy.

• bouncebounce Member UncommonPosts: 24

c'mon stop advertising the carebear developer's pet class
    we have enough of them already...
    the frequently suggested MA might be easy to figure but
    could as easily become boring

my personal approach would be to decide between
    playing a pet class or not
    the rest decided by intuition
    to aid that intuition auno.org is an excellent site to get an
    overview what you can expact buff and gear wise for your char

honesstly..any class is playable and enjoyable once you've
    grown into it

• BeezlyBeezly Member Posts: 19
    if you want melee go for a martial artist, enforcer or adventurer.
    ranged: soldier or adventurer
    nano(magic):Metaphyisist or doc (these classes are usualy harder no matter what)

• RiotgirlRiotgirl Member UncommonPosts: 520

I'm playing a 'crat because I've always enjoyed challenging classes. More importantly, as an ex-Chanter in EQ, I feel right at home: crowd-control, charms and er, pets. From doing quite a bit of research, 'crats [Bureaucrats] are at an advantage in that they do not require such heavy armour and weapon commitments as other classes [Enforcer, for example]. The kicker is that they can be quite a complex class to play.

Due to the maturity of the game, there is a wealth of information out there to help the newbie player (like myself). So I would advise you to check out the AO links in the sticky and read up on your prospective profession. I've always preferred to play the class/profession that I find offers me interesting and rewarding game-play - no matter how complex or hard. Providing that you read up, understand the pros and cons of each profession, then you can manage your expectations and game-play accordingly.

I would say that the veterans are right with respect that AO has a steep learning curve. It's difficult learning the principles of Investment Points [IPs], upgrading and implants, let alone your profession and how your profession changes as you hit Titles. Funcom have given players a lot of freedom to customize their characters within the game - with such freedom, comes responsibility and the ability to completely gimp your character.

Providing you read up and educate yourself on the professions and your career-path, understand the pros or cons, and accept that choosing a harder classes means that you increase the possibility of gimping your character straight off the bat, then choose the profession that appeals to you. The advantage in mature games is that there is a wealth of experience to help new players. The disadvantage is that equipment dependent roles e.g. Enforcer, can be seriously gimped due to the amount of twinked characters around.

2 weeks into AO as a Froob and it feels like my 1st MMORPG (again). There are many warts with venerable 1st generation MMORPGs - but the game-play element isn't on of them. Absolutely loving my AO experience.

Regards,
    Riotgirl

"If you think I'm plucky and scrappy and all I need is love, you're in way over your head. I don't have a heart of gold or get nice. There are a lot nicer people coming up. We call them losers."