Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

How do you make an MMORPG??

2»

Comments

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

raitzu wrote:

I would like to know where I can find information, or code to be able to start an mmorp.
    What code are they normally written in? C++? I know there are a few Java based games, any
    advantages/disadvantages?

Slow down, just what are you planning on coding? The server? The graphics engine? The AI? If I were you, I'd skip doing a whole graphics engine and just pick something off of Sourceforge. I'm currently experimenting with plugging different graphics engines into custom servers. The project I'm on now involves hooking up a Quake 3 mod to a dedicated server that parses client messages into MySQL commands. It's slow going since I have to gut much of Quake 3's client side netcode.

As a computer science major, I'm sure you already know how vast a field AI is. You're pretty much on your own on that one. Ditto with serverside processing and databases. Although you might gain some insight into what you're trying to achieve by STUDYING some open-source server emulators. The Lineage 2 emu is good if you're a Java guru, while just about every other emu is done in C++. Although I think that there is one emu that was written entirely in Python, but don't quote me on that.

As for tools, I believe that there's a free version of Microsoft Visual C++ out now. I personally use Code::Blocks although I originally used Dev C++.

and that's all you'll need for the programming side. The real problem is content creation. For making content you'll want to have a small army of artists ( don't worry, they aren't that hard to find) and the following tools...

Blender this is really hard to get used to if you're used to modellers like Maya and 3D Studio Max. It's open source and just as powerful as any comercial modeller so you might as well save some cash and use this.

Paint Shop Pro not as nice as photoshop, but definately priced more realistically. Don't forget to buy a Watcom graphics tablet while you're at it.

QuArk I really can't recommend this enough. If you plan on making any BSP data, this is about as easy as it gets. A lot of people use GTK Radiant, but I don't have much luck with any program that includes the letters G T K....

Finally, you should probably shop around for some sound effects CDs. Sound Dogs is a good start.

You said that you were an experienced MUD player and I think that would probably be the best place for you to start. Build and host a MUD before you even THINK about doing an MMORPG. The whole process kinda loses it's charm after you have to put up with irrate players and inscrutible bugs, crashes and DOS attacks. Running a MUD (or MMORPG) is a totally thankless job, and you're very likely to be spit on and hated for all your work. Not trying to put you off, just thought you might like to know before you commit to this....

• DomoclusDomoclus Member Posts: 28
    Are this and similar posts even for real? I don't want to sound rude,
    but where are you from, people? Moon? The best way to start working on
    a MMROPG alone without any knowledge and experience is by buying a
    clue.

So there, buy a clue, then come back here for an advice 

• SnaKeySnaKey Member Posts: 3,386

Originally posted by Domoclus
    Are this and similar posts even for real? I don't want to sound rude,
    but where are you from, people? Moon? The best way to start working on
    a MMROPG alone without any knowledge and experience is by buying a
    clue.
    So there, buy a clue, then come back here for an advice image

Yeah man. Go to any MMORPG forum or any video game forum for that matter and you will see hundreds of posts like these.

Mostly they are kids who don't know any better though.

myspace.com/angryblogr
    A Work in Progress.
    Add Me
  • OwynOwyn Member Posts: 337
    Hey, getting into the game industry is really not all THAT hard.

If that's your goal, stop thinking about making your own MMO engine though, and start working toward it.

Go buy a copy of Game Developer magazine - a good bookstore will have it, or order it online.  The back is chock full of ads for colleges with decent training programs, AND companies seeking qualified employees.

Go out and get real training, something you can put on a resume.  Unfortunately, reading a lot of books on C++ doesn't cut it in the real world, usually - people look for the degree as a measure of employability more often than not.  So go get your B.S. in something programming oriented.

Learn C++, Java, or C#; better, learn more than one.  Learn them WELL.

Once you've graduated, with your strong knowledge of programming and your good GPA (grades DO count for immediate post-grad apps) send your resume to every game company you see hiring.  Game Dev magazine is a good source; Gamasutra is another decent source.  You will almost certainly have to travel to wherever you will be working - game companies are spread thinly all over, and you will probably be moving several times in your career.  You will work obnoxiously long hours, be paid less than programmers working in many other fields - but you CAN work in the game industry right out of college.  Plenty of people do.

Owyn
    Commander, Defenders of Order
    http://www.defendersoforder.com

• SycondamanSycondaman Member Posts: 262
    I agree with most of your ideas that make it interesting.  However, there are many issues in actually programming it.  First off, the amount of player interaction you are suggesting would be (at present) a massive coding commitment.  Think about simple games--like RPGs that you can beat in several hours.  A short game with limited environment interaction, and still there were 20-50 programmers working on that game for a year or more.

In terms of coding, you can probably choose any language you want if you know how to use it well enough.  The key thing, is you're going to need some help.  If you have friends that can code, storyboard, or do graphics then get them involved too.  If you're really serious about making this you need to start working on the code and graphics and get enough done that you can get a business loan from a bank and sponsors (usually hardware companies).

With the resources we have today the best way to make such an interactive world would be to follow the MUD tradition: that is, have programmer "Game Masters" playing the game all the time with the ability to change the world according to player actions.  And the graphics would be rough as well.  If you want people to be able to build NEW items you either need standard graphics  categories many items would fall under or you need graphics tied to each piece.  The issue with that is you need many items to be able to fit together without looking, well, stupid.
  • mushalanwacmushalanwac Member Posts: 60
    ok i would like to say i am ambitious too and have some ideas..... but man hold on to them and wait,, maybe write them down and then just try to get experance in learning codes and what not and making friends that maybe also want to do this for their life.. because u never know what u will be able to do... but everything takes alot of time in this world

musha

Exactly.  There's a lot you have to do to make this game and its no small, on-the-side task.  If you want to really make a new game, you either need to work on your idea and present it to a company you feel is ready to handle your game, or start your own company.  Which is no small task.

• Jimmy_ScytheJimmy_Scythe Member CommonPosts: 3,586

<sigh> People have been talking about how impossible it is for one person to break into the gaming biz since the early 80's. Probably longer if you consider that the first computer games required an arcane knowledge of assembly and computer hardware that was difficult to find and expensive to purchase.

Then there are those of us who DO NOT WANT TO GO PROFESSIONAL, but make games as a hobby. Some of the best games I've played recently were freeware, open-source projects with teams of 10 or less. In fact, most mod developement teams are comprised of about 10 to 15 people.

You wanna know why there are 50 to 100 people working 16 hour days, 7 days a week for five years straight? Most of those people are artist, level designers, and scripters. Only a small portion of these team's members touch the actual game engine code. Often times, because the project is using a third party engine. And actually, you can make a game in about a year with a 20 man team and a finished engine. Doom 3, Half-Life 2 and Unreal Tournament 2007 all took so long because they decided to make a new game engine from scratch. Most games don't do this. Especially console games that only make whole new game engines at the launch of the next generation of systems. After that, they incrementally tweak the engine between projects.

Alas, I don't like the idea of being chained to my work station for five years straight in order to produce something that most people will breeze through in two weeks, if that. Not to mention the fact that the games depriciate quickly. You have a three month shelf life and then it's time for retailers to make room for new stuff. When you look at it from that perspective, it's hard to justify making games for a living.

Back on subject. Make and host a MUD before you go any further. If you haven't made any games yet, make some. Start with simple stuff like Breakout and Space Invaders and slowly work your way up to a platform game or something along the lines of the original Zelda. You should also try to do a networked version of Pong. Believe me, you'll learn more about net programming by making internet Pong in C++ than a thousand network programming books could ever teach you. You might also try your hand at a Rogue-like game to get a feel for how RPGs operate under the hood. Once you have a good grasp of client / server networking and realtime programming, you should be able to make a client from any number of game engines and a dedicated server capable of hosting about 200 users on it's own.

You don't have to make games for profit. You don't have to have the resources of "El Heffe" to make games. You DO need programming experience and a few friends to work with you on the project. Some people can't seem to wrap their brains around the concept of making games out of a love of gaming rather than a need for profit. Most MUDs are operated out of the garage for free and MMORPGs are basically just MUDs on the server side. You can make an MMO. But don't expect it to be as polished as World of Warcraft.

Concentrate on gameplay. It's really all you have here...

To a point that is true.  However, most games its not just the level designers and graphic artists that spend a lot of time, programmers have a great deal of work to do, moreso when it comes to MMOs.

As for the MUD thing and freeware: yup, there are some really awesome freeware games out there that small teams have made as a hobby.  However, the game he's talking about is not a small-time freeware game.  He's looking to build something huge, something bigger than anyone has done before.  I doubt it would come out as he wants if he just does a small freeware game.

• MapleafMapleaf Member Posts: 41
    The only way to make a game is to make it yourself. You can't expect other people to do it for you, free. The most important to start with is to decide: What types of games do I like and what types of games do I want to make. You must of course know what other people likes. An unique game with a lot of innovation is also something to struggle for. You should learn programming FIRST! Then graphics. They are two quite easy way to learn program games which I know. Gamemaker and Rpgmaker, althought I love Gamermaker, you can learn a lot from that program and actually make nice games. Sure it is nice to come with good ideas, but you have to build the game your self - if you want the creds for it.