Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oh my... possible true new home for us SWG Refugees...

ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
Saw this in another forum here, It's true, it's on the official UO Site:

Ultima Online and Mythic Teaming Up

These are exciting days for MMORPG fans here at EA.
With the acquisition of Mythic, the UO team will be working with the
creative folks who brought us Dark Age of Camelot and are hard at work
on the spectacular-looking Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. I’m
thrilled that the UO team and Mythic will work together to forge
Britannia’s future.

There is much to talk about with our new
partners, and it will take some time to review and finalize our plans.
Because we need to take that time, we are postponing the announcement
that we were going to make this week. The in-game fiction cycle will
take a break for a bit and will return soon.

Taken from uo.com

What exactly this means nobody knows yet but a team the caliber of Mythic Entertainment working with UO has some very very interesting possibilities.

I posted this here because, as we all know (well, ok some of the new folks might not know), SWG was based very heavily on ideas pioneered in UO.  For a long time SWG was considered UO's successor.

Anyway, thought it was interesting enough to cross-post over here.  I know a lot of us have been looking for a 'new home' since the NGE hit.... While nothing is concrete yet this may signal hope on the horizon.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
Sig image Pending
Still in: A couple Betas

Comments

• RekrulRekrul Member Posts: 2,961
    Original authors are long gone.

EA has set their goals early, I think 1 mil is the number tossed around. It will be head-to-head WoW competition, and will make sure to apeal those customers.

When looking for sandbox models, future is with indie developers.

• tjvoodootjvoodoo Member Posts: 293

Originally posted by Elnator

Saw this in another forum here, It's true, it's on the official UO Site:

Ultima Online and Mythic Teaming Up

These are exciting days for MMORPG fans here at EA. With the acquisition of Mythic, the UO team will be working with the creative folks who brought us Dark Age of Camelot and are hard at work on the spectacular-looking Warhammer Online: Age of Reckoning. I’m thrilled that the UO team and Mythic will work together to forge Britannia’s future.

There is much to talk about with our new partners, and it will take some time to review and finalize our plans. Because we need to take that time, we are postponing the announcement that we were going to make this week. The in-game fiction cycle will take a break for a bit and will return soon.

Taken from uo.com

What exactly this means nobody knows yet but a team the caliber of Mythic Entertainment working with UO has some very very interesting possibilities.

I posted this here because, as we all know (well, ok some of the new folks might not know), SWG was based very heavily on ideas pioneered in UO.  For a long time SWG was considered UO's successor.

Anyway, thought it was interesting enough to cross-post over here.  I know a lot of us have been looking for a 'new home' since the NGE hit.... While nothing is concrete yet this may signal hope on the horizon.

All though i will buy EA single player games & they make some dam good sand box games (sim anything anyone) they have the second best CS only beat by SOE themselfs, if its EA do MMO its certainly without me .

• KenshuAniKenshuAni Member CommonPosts: 851

Originally posted by Rekrul
    Original authors are long gone.

EA has set their goals early, I think 1 mil is the number tossed around. It will be head-to-head WoW competition, and will make sure to apeal those customers.

When looking for sandbox models, future is with indie developers.

I agree.  100%
  • xPaladinxPaladin Member UncommonPosts: 741
    That's bad news for Warhammer -- it means Mythic is going to be bogged down with another project whilst they're still trying to get Warhammer on store shelves. Curses.

It's exactly the kind of EA tampering that people were afraid of when the acquisition went through. Hopefully they mean something a little softcore, like maybe Mythic giving the UO guys a graphics or combat engine to play around with.

But knowing EA... if whatever their plan is fails, then there will be huge backlash.

It's not a surprise that WAR is slipping from the hype meter post-acquisition, and I think they'll plummet further if this kind of talk keeps up.

-- xpaladin

[MMOz]
    AC1/2, AO, DAoC, EQ1/2, SoR, SWG, UO, WAR, WoW

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Originally posted by xPaladin
    That's bad news for Warhammer -- it means Mythic is going to be bogged down with another project whilst they're still trying to get Warhammer on store shelves. Curses.

It's exactly the kind of EA tampering that people were afraid of when the acquisition went through. Hopefully they mean something a little softcore, like maybe Mythic giving the UO guys a graphics or combat engine to play around with.

But knowing EA... if whatever their plan is fails, then there will be huge backlash.

It's not a surprise that WAR is slipping from the hype meter post-acquisition, and I think they'll plummet further if this kind of talk keeps up.

I dunno... I don't think Mythic is going to divert current resources from WAR.  Might be something they have the DAOC team work on though... Once they finish the expansion they're working on.  Once WAR releases I suspect DAOC is going to go on life support.. 

Or the folks from the Imperator Project.... could be a lot of them still around with their thumbs twiddling since Mythic cancelled that project. 

Either way, Mythic helping out with UO is good for UO... I don't see it as something that will impact WAR.  I honestly don't think they'd really divert resources from that particular project. 

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• AthelaAthela Member Posts: 492

I don't have any bad thoughts about EA-actually I just think of them for sports games so...I don't think of them.

This, however, the teaming of Mythic people and UO people, now that sounds really intriguing.  Maybe we're just in an era of consolidation that hasn't an end in sight.  Why wouldn't these two groups of people work well together like Bioware/Pandemic?

EA also has Project Gray Company on the horizon which sounds good-not mmorpg, but it was described somewhere as an "Oblivion killer" which got my attention. Maybe there is hope for them, eh?