Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC=DnL?

I dunno, the screenshots look absolutely great, the gameplay and ideas surrounding it are awesome and can be every mmo players dream, but that hype was exactly the same way as Dark and Light, and it seems to me from the reviews, is a flop.  Im hoping it wont end up like DnL and the game expands a new horizon for new gamers what do you all think?

Comments

• FatalistFatalist Member UncommonPosts: 44

DnL.. ugh what a piece of &(0-%!!  AoC will do ok..  FunCom has been in the business for awhile, they'll do just fine.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Since AoC is sorta around the corner, this game will fair alot better than DnL did. Funcom got a reputation already in the mmorpg business and with AoC having game support for Windows Vista, even better news.

This game will rock and it wont be a let down IMHO. But you can always tell me, I told you so if it is a let down.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    Someone would really have to try hard to beat D&L in their suckerage.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• NeppeNeppe Member Posts: 15

They will do okay, but they will never get as many players as WoW, since the majority there is under 18. And this game will be rated Mature.

But I belive it will be a better game then other MMORPGS, funcom knows how to bring new stuffiand do twists of the same old.

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893
    There is no "it will do solidly well, but probably won't replace WoW in sales, however it will be a much more enjoyable game" option.
  • VanillacreamVanillacream Member Posts: 344
    Compairing ANY game to DnL is an insult.

DnL is the perfect exsample of how NOT to release a game on all levels. Its sad really, the world looks amazing sadly everything else in it is awful.

AoC will be a very, VERY strong game. FC has alot of expertise in mmo making. I remember ppl saying AO would not last....its still running ppl.
    FC are very deturmaned ppl and know what they are doing. I have full confidince in there work.

• cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

AoC is NOTHING like DnL!

I don't think it will kick WoW off the charts, but I am hopeful of a 500k or so subscription basis for AoC. This assumes that the launch is fairly smooth. Funcom already released one MMO, and I think they learned a lot from that experience. I am looking for the release of AoC to be a lot smoother than the initial release of AO (and DnL off course).

I have posted this link before, but I did write an article on my blog regarding the estimated subscription numbers for AoC. Give it a read if you are interested:

http://aocha.blogspot.com/2006/05/mmo-subscription-numbers-and-aoc.html

-Cheggelund

• FionFion Member UncommonPosts: 2,348

To the OP..

The distance between 'meh.. it'll do alright' and 'it'll rock wow off the charts' is like the grand canyon. You need at LEAST one option between there.

A 'It'll kick arse! Finally give WoW a little competition' and perhaps a

'It'll rock, but it probably wont be as huge as WoW.'

Personally I think, because of the M rating, the adult theme, it wont be such a huge hit as WoW cause it wont draw the kiddies. But it'll still be quite a successfull MMOG.

"

I have posted this link before, but I did write an article on my
    blog regarding the estimated subscription numbers for AoC. Give it a
    read if you are interested:

http://aocha.blogspot.com/2006/05/mmo-subscription-numbers-and-aoc.html"

Nice blog man. :) A few errors there however. First, the MMORPGchart is not only out of date, it's been practicly proven to be based entirely on educated guessing or actual released information. I've had actual information on several games taken from developer posts on forums or actual interviews or my own personal experiences that disputed that sights info. For one.. Anarchy Online hit about 125'000 subscribers, as noted in an interview about 2 years ago. It was never listed on that website. So just FYI. I dont know if the game ever broke that, but as far as I know, it peaked at about 125k players.

• b0rderline99b0rderline99 Member Posts: 1,441

the company actually seems professional unlike the majority of mmo companies, i mean think about it any company that releasess games which are not competed and which are totally half-assed (cough cough DNL) is totally unprofessional and would not make it in any other market except here for some reason.  AoC seems like a very well put together and thought out game which is not going to be thrown out the door as soon as possible like DnL was.  AoC is not going to = DnL because this company actually is working to make a quality product.

p.s. just as a side note unrelated to the topic, i do find pushing a release date back very unprofessional though i do know that it happened to this game i think

• wjrasmussenwjrasmussen Member Posts: 1,493
    I don't care about the numbers, unless it is numbers of fun I have playing it. 
  • cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

Originally posted by Fion

http://aocha.blogspot.com/2006/05/mmo-subscription-numbers-and-aoc.html"

Nice blog man. :) A few errors there however. First, the MMORPGchart is not only out of date, it's been practicly proven to be based entirely on educated guessing or actual released information. I've had actual information on several games taken from developer posts on forums or actual interviews or my own personal experiences that disputed that sights info. For one.. Anarchy Online hit about 125'000 subscribers, as noted in an interview about 2 years ago. It was never listed on that website. So just FYI. I dont know if the game ever broke that, but as far as I know, it peaked at about 125k players.

Thanks for the information on AO subscripion numbers. Do you have a link to that interview? 60k did seem bit low to me, so 125k makes more sense. Hopefully AoC will trump that number easily though :)

-Cheggelund

God it was a few years ago. I believe it was like a Shadowlands preview thing. But yea, I remember that number and I also remember sending that interview to SirBruce, not to mention sending him information on when SWG spiked significantly when the CU came out. Neither got updated and it wasn't long ago I saw a dev post on.. I think, SWG, talking about how that website is innacurate and mostly educated guesses. Any real numbers are taken from the same sources we hear stuff from, the developers actually releasing the information or that information being available to those who look for it. :)

Course AO's rate could be a lot higher these days, what with Froob accounts going. I dont think they count as actual accounts cause they are free, but who knows.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

God it was a few years ago. I believe it was like a Shadowlands preview thing.

Shadowlands preview has to be right, cause no way in hell did it peak after that horrible expansion was released on the community... Most of my server became a ghost town after that release and the forums became a freaking Flame AO hate nest.... I just hope whoever came up with EQ1.5 erm I mean Shadowlands isnt working on AOC....Cant tell you how much there ruined a great game and community with that horrible expansion... Hopefully having to make the game free shortly after instead of charging the montly fee they used to gave Funcom a huge wakeup call..... That being dont change something that works. 

I dont know 125k seems like alot of people, expecially considering when they only had 2 servers RK1 and RK2... I know not everyone is going to be logging in at the same time but damn lets think about this for a minuite... Lets say they had 30k logged in at the same time on each server that would have smashed some online records.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Funcom is a big company that has a lot of experience with mmorpgs.

Farlan is a group of arrogant french dudes.

AoC will be sold in stores.

DnL is download only.

AoC, whether good or bad, will be playable at release.

DnL is unplayable.

Originally posted by Tinybina

God it was a few years ago. I believe it was like a Shadowlands preview thing.

Shadowlands preview has to be right, cause no way in hell did it peak after that horrible expansion was released on the community... Most of my server became a ghost town after that release and the forums became a freaking Flame AO hate nest.... I just hope whoever came up with EQ1.5 erm I mean Shadowlands isnt working on AOC....Cant tell you how much there ruined a great game and community with that horrible expansion... Hopefully having to make the game free shortly after instead of charging the montly fee they used to gave Funcom a huge wakeup call..... That being dont change something that works. 

I dont know 125k seems like alot of people, expecially considering when they only had 2 servers RK1 and RK2... I know not everyone is going to be logging in at the same time but damn lets think about this for a minuite... Lets say they had 30k logged in at the same time on each server that would have smashed some online records.

I party agree with you, I left when SL came out to, jumped ship to Star Wars Galaxies for a few years. These days however, I am quite suprised to see just how many people are playing good old AO. So apparently they got their player base back, that or thanks to the Froob program, gained a heck of a lot of new ones. :)

Actually they DID smash a few records. It was like a bit over a year ago that they reported the highest number of poeple logged on in history. Granted, it has since been broken by Eve online.

You might be happy to know that the Alien Invasion expansion put the focus of AO squarly back with good old Rubika. SL is still used quite a lot but you see FAR more poeple hanging around in say Athen or West Athen then you do in any SL backyard anymore.. accept for Heckler noobs :p

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130

I party agree with you, I left when SL came out to, jumped ship to Star Wars Galaxies for a few years. These days however, I am quite suprised to see just how many people are playing good old AO. So apparently they got their player base back, that or thanks to the Froob program, gained a heck of a lot of new ones. :)

Actually they DID smash a few records. It was like a bit over a year ago that they reported the highest number of poeple logged on in history. Granted, it has since been broken by Eve online.

You might be happy to know that the Alien Invasion expansion put the focus of AO squarly back with good old Rubika. SL is still used quite a lot but you see FAR more poeple hanging around in say Athen or West Athen then you do in any SL backyard anymore.. accept for Heckler noobs :p

Good to hear, sounds like the people at Funcom might have learned from there mistake and found ways to bring the attention back to the original game..

Man there are times I truely miss that game, the time right after the Notum Wars expansion and the PVP boom that happend shortly after were some of the best days I have ever had online.  I just hope AOC can bring back some of that majic or even inprove on it.

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

You and me both. Thought it goes against my best judgement, I'm putting a lot of hope into AoC that it'll bring back some of the magic of AO. :)

• ValharanValharan Member Posts: 190

AO Ruled on many levels... SL destroyed alot of things in AO esp PVP. Hehe ever watch a 220 keeper and 220 MA fight? It was more fun watching paint dry. I had a 220 keeper and was fighting a master rank 220 MA on Atl server, we fought for 35 mins and no one came close to winning. Only reason I lost was my isp went boom and I was offline for an hour or so. When I came back I was sadly a corpse.

On a side note I loved pvping in Omni cities hehe running to backyards to heal up since you couldn't be attacked there.

Great fun.

Edit - DnL is crap, Farlan is crap.

I left AO originally partly because of just how much Sladowlands had changed the focus on Anarchy. Since I've come back however I've noticed a lot of the focus was shifted back thankfully. I cant say just how much, as I've only be on a month or so, but I'm having fun again, thats for sure.

I'm not sure about PvP as I do little of it, but I understand it's actually to fast now adays. They may have changed something about it from when you were playing. I can tell that in the last few years Funcom has tried at least to bring the game back to it's original glory, though mostly it is long lost.

This gives me hope in their roll in Age of Conan. :)

• ZodanZodan Member Posts: 564

Originally posted by Dabble

Funcom is a big company that has a lot of experience with mmorpgs.
    Farlan is a group of arrogant french dudes.
    AoC will be sold in stores.
    DnL is download only.
    AoC, whether good or bad, will be playable at release.
    DnL is unplayable.

Agreeing 100% to the poster above and adding few pointers

I really tried playing DnL because it has wonderful ideas, but in the world there is nothing but open space and couple of boring monsters sprinkled around, the graphics are 5 years old aswell.

Then again Age of Conan is definately made by company that made AO - a game which is really fun still in terms of innovative gameplay, WoW was not innovative just a compilation of today's ideology of MMO's. AoC is next generation.
This discussion has been closed.