Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Will it be better?

I was wondering if Vanguard:SoH is going to smash the others MMORPGs with its new ideas, graphics and style. Or if simply wont have many sucess because of the new ideas that may have lots of errors. What do you guys think?

Comments

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

First it doesn't matter if it "smashes" other MMO's. As long as the individual player enjoys playing, thats all that counts. All this "my game population is bigger then yours" talk is no better then listening to two eight years olds argue over who has the coolest toy.

So that being said, will it out-do WoW? probably not. Its looks to be geared to a more mature play style then hyperactive WoW. Younger players simply will be put off by anything slower paced then WoW or with more complexity then WoW. Younger players make up the vast majority of the WoW community (default - MMO players right now)

The real question is...will Vanguard just be a content clone of everything else out there right now? If it is filled with slow paced gameplay and the idea of content is "kill task" and "high end raids", then no it will not do well because we already have that type of game many times over. It will not be unique and will be lost in an ocean of generic fantasy games releasing next year.

It "sounds" like it has some really interesting ideas but will they work out? And if not, will we see a gradual simplification (revamp) to bring it more in line of the general market? (WoW) It's going to be interesting to see. I know one thing, I will not be pre-ordering after getting burned on the "MMO that will change everything". (D&DO)

• knightmendesknightmendes Member Posts: 24
    thx for posting and giving your oppinion, and im sry if i sounded a little childish when i said "smash".
  • dinkdink Member Posts: 438

New ideas?

Mostly they are just recycling bad ideas from games that were not as successful as the industry leaders today. . .  like corpse runs and xp debt.

i think they are using both old ideas and new ideas, and some of them sound really interesting, like player made transports, horses, houses and shops, and a lot more. But the question is if this ideas will work, what do u think?
  • Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Originally posted by knightmendes
    i think they are using both old ideas and new ideas, and some of them sound really interesting, like player made transports, horses, houses and shops, and a lot more. But the question is if this ideas will work, what do u think?

It's simply a case of having to wait and see, although in my opinion it may come out in the top five fantasy titles. Though that depends on the company maintaining the game in the long run, not how the game plays on release.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

i hope so...
  • TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Strangely enough, I like the idea of the caravan travel.

Teleporting around was always an emersion breaker for me. The challenge to difficult travel will be this....keeping all of the local areas interesting enough to keep you engaged while you are there. I can imagine it will take quit a bit of "content" (cities, towns, dungeons, NPC's, adventures) to keep you busy since travel will not be easy AND an "adventure" in itself.

Once you are there it will need to be worth your while. 

by the way, please vote on my poll. Thank you

If theres any1 that is a beta player on the forums, i would be very gratefull if those players vote on the poll.
    Thank you again

• moonspellmoonspell Member Posts: 1
    for what i have seen of the game it seemed to be really good! it has great graphics and some cool features. I think the won't have as much players as wow because of its complexity, nowadays younger prefer simple games. In few words this game requires patience and maturity.

I kind of agree with moonspell just said. I believe that WoW its an amazing game at the first months, the graphics are amazing, the map is huge and there is all that excitment of the "new game", but since the leveling its so easy the game can get booring in few time. I hope that vanguard can " fix the hole" that WoW left in my gaming, and has a hardcore style playing that can give the players a sense of reallism. Of course my oppinion may not please everyone, but im just here to express my oppinio.

Thank you all again for posting and voting on the poll

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

I think that Vanguard will be a highly influential game, but not very widely played. It'll be an example that other developers will look to with respects to focused goals, PR, and putting more weight on immersion than shortcuts.

It'll be like, the Velvet Underground, or the Pixies of the MMO world. Not a whole lot of people listen to them, but those that make music do =)

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558
    wow 75% think it will be either good or great.  That's VERY surprising considering all the hate talk on this message board.
  • furyjubfuryjub Member Posts: 15
    From the sounds of everything going on this looks like something I myself will enjoya great deal, there is no game out there that is for everyone. I am very excited and hope that it will hold up to my hopes.

On an added note the caravan idea sounded a little odd at first but the more I've thought about it the better I like it I wonder if you can 'hire on' to guard it or something

• EthanaelEthanael Member UncommonPosts: 194
    You'll have to wait to see. Who knows until that launch date.  I highly doubt anybody thought wow would blow up like it did and i've read a lot about how EQ went above and beyond anybodies expectations..  Things happen without notice.  Rest, relax, enjoy some other mmo until this one comes out;  be patient.

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451
    I hope they do very well with this game.  I am really looking forward to it.

-W.

• achellisachellis Member Posts: 542
    its going to be a great game