Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Up comming Korean MMO's look much better then the western

GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
Well, as the title says, I personally think the upcomming wave of Korean MMO's like Archlord, Aion and SUN look far more intresting then the new wave of western MMO's like Vanguard (YES! Finally an Everquest copy!) and Lord of the rings online, and a bunch of other titles.

here, look at the Aion E3 trailer

to me, it looks far more impressive then anything vanguard has shown.

so what do you guys think?

Comments

• katriellkatriell Member UncommonPosts: 977

OMFG the wings...!

I will try/play Aion simply for the wings. ::::03::

Some rather cool-looking locations and monsters, as well...pity it looks like they undermined that with a simple PnC combat system. Although all the moving about during some of the combat scenes looks unusual.

-----------
    In memory of Laura "Taera" Genender. Passed away on August 13, 2008.

• AnagethAnageth Member Posts: 2,217

WOW. All I can say, that trailer was incredible! Normally I hate the korean MMOs, but that blew me away, especially the part with the angel-like wings.

Only thing I didn't like was the fighting, looks and sounds too much like Mortal Kombat for my liking.

No longer visiting MMORPG.com.

• SalvatorisSalvatoris Member Posts: 1,360

I am generally unimpressed by the depth of features in Korean MMOs. I'll'' certainly agree with you that there are a lot of lackluster western MMOs coming out, the ones you mentioned are good examples. I also prefer the graphics in western games. I prefer a highly detailed model to a highly detailed texture trying to simulate a highly detailed model. I understand that graphics are less of a concern for some people, but I personally feel like if two games are going to be equally fun, I'll take the one with better graphics. It is just a matter of preference i suppose, but I prefer the graphics style of Western games to their Korean counterparts.

I do think there are still a few games coming out that look promising. Age of Conan has the potential to be great. Looking at how the multiplayer battles play out, as a slow moving RTS style battle where you can manage the growth of structures and siege weapons while still playing a part directly in the battle with your character. the persige classes that all offer different advantages to your guild seem really interesting. It will also offer crafting, player cities and keeps, as well as some innovative combat for MMO. I also believe that if Mythic can survive the borg-like assimilation in to EA with their artistic vision in tact, Warhammer Online has the potential to a pretty decent game.

• LaneoLaneo Member Posts: 359

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Well, as the title says, I personally think the upcomming wave of Korean MMO's like Archlord, Aion and SUN look far more intresting then the new wave of western MMO's like Vanguard (YES! Finally an Everquest copy!) and Lord of the rings online, and a bunch of other titles.

Hmm..I'm my past..All the trailers of every game were better than the game itself hehe.

I have yet to see a game that is actually as good as it's trailer depicts!

All those games look good to me, even Vanguard. I wont judge a game by it's trailer thou since it is only "Advertisement", I'll give my 2 copper's worth AFTER I play it.

Nice Vid thou btw.

Nobody is perfect...My name is Nobody

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Yeah the ingame video looked pretty good.. But one thing that struck me
    that is the same in every KOrean MMORPG ever made was the CLONES..
    People look to much alike.. When those 2 warriors (?) were fighting
    those other two characters (PVP?) they look identical in ever way..

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• JodandoJodando Member Posts: 280
    The movement looks a lot like WoW movement.

But yeah, that game looks pretty amazing. Definitely worth giving a good look at. Maybe even a GREAT look at.

Hm... Will the Korean gaming industry finally place a bigger flag in the States?

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490
    good if you're looking for a arcade mmo.

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I think many of you will be glad to hear this:

"According to Yong Taek Bae, Associate Producer for NCsoft Seoul, there
    will be none of the level-grinding which is common in Korean MMOs.
    Although not fully disclosed at this time, the leveling-up system will
    be different from what you would normally expect."

http://pc.ign.com/articles/708/708762p1.html

• MylonMylon Member Posts: 975
    Korean MMORPGs look good.  I won't doubt that.  However, the gameplay in each and every one of them sucks.  Maybe these games could prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

• loversriotloversriot Member Posts: 11

Originally posted by Tinybina
    Yeah the ingame video looked pretty good.. But one thing that struck me
    that is the same in every KOrean MMORPG ever made was the CLONES..
    People look to much alike.. When those 2 warriors (?) were fighting
    those other two characters (PVP?) they look identical in ever way..

There's a purpose for that. Generally, the games will have large scale battles between characters/guilds/factions/whatever, and with all of the stuff going on, having everyone with different armors and such would be very taxing graphically. You do have to remember the popularity of MMOs in Korea.

But for Aion, I figure the reason is because it's an early version shown at E3.

I think many of you will be glad to hear this:

Hm... That oughta keep some Korean MMO haters out there quiet.

Then again... people will always find a way to bring a game down. Buncha BABIES they are!

Anyways. I'm glad they're trying to appeal to the Western audience. Like I said before, Koreans are getting a better and better grasp on the MMO industry. Should we watch out or embrace?
  • abbabaabbaba Member Posts: 1,143
    Looks like WoW with better graphics.
  • godpuppetgodpuppet Member Posts: 1,416
    Cant say that Korean MMO's look better. Western MMO's definately lead the way in creativity on all MMO aspects.

But I can say MMO's in general are on the decline. Fantasy MMO's seem to all be degenerates of EQ + LOTR and Sci-fi MMO's seem largely untapped.

There are some Gems im waiting for: Conan & Fallen Earth.

I cant stand Korean MMO's, I hate the anime style.

---

• AshkentAshkent Member Posts: 772

too bad aion looks incredibly linear and will most likely be a grind fest, like every other korean mmo

too bad aion looks incredibly linear and will most likely be a grind fest, like every other korean mmo

Originally posted by godpuppet
    Cant say that Korean MMO's look better. Western MMO's definately lead the way in creativity on all MMO aspects.

But I can say MMO's in general are on the decline. Fantasy MMO's seem to all be degenerates of EQ + LOTR and Sci-fi MMO's seem largely untapped.

far from it. the korean marker leads on creativity. They have MMORPG's on close about everything. every sport  you can imagine, racing, shooter mmo's. everything. not even 1/3rd comes to the west. trust me mate, do some research on foreign mmo's and you will see that the koreans are far ahead of us.

Originally posted by Ashkent

• brostynbrostyn Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 3,092
    The only Korean games I've ever seen are based on the theory to grind for years and pointless ganking.

Originally posted by brostyn
    The only Korean games I've ever seen are based on the theory to grind for years and pointless ganking.

You haven't seen them all.

Not by a long shot.
  • XzaroXzaro Member UncommonPosts: 1,719
    I hate it when Westerners think they know everything about Asia. To be specific on this topic, I hate westerners that think they have seen all/most MMORPG/Games from the Asian/Korean market.

The only korean MMORPGs you see are the ones where some company that knows english decide to buy the game and make an English version of it, or ones where some Westerner finds the game and makes a fansite about it, to help out non-korean speaking/reading people who is interested.

You have not seen crap. End of story.

far from it. the korean marker leads on creativity. They have MMORPG's on close about everything. every sport  you can imagine, racing, shooter mmo's. everything. not even 1/3rd comes to the west. trust me mate, do some research on foreign mmo's and you will see that the koreans are far ahead of us.

but all of those games are crap or just grind fests. when you start churning out anything at that high rate, quality goes down the toilet.

Originally posted by Ashkent

but all of those games are crap or just grind fests. when you start churning out anything at that high rate, quality goes down the toilet.

then you obviously didn't even play a single korean mmo that didn't get translated to english.
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Mylon
    Korean MMORPGs look good.  I won't doubt that.  However, the gameplay in each and every one of them sucks.  Maybe these games could prove me wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

QFT

They look pretty, and end up being a huge senseless grind with little to no character individuality.

/golf clap

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

I think you love WoW so you and I are on opposite sides of the fence. Interesting that you used Vanguard as your yardstick to compare these games to. Vanguard isn't all eye candy, there's a game underneath the graphics. Time will tell if Aion or SUN or any of the other lovely looking games will have anything but Lineage 2 "Gouge my own eyes out" gameplay.

Originally posted by anarchyart

I think you love WoW so you and I are on opposite sides of the fence. Interesting that you used Vanguard as your yardstick to compare these games to. Vanguard isn't all eye candy, there's a game underneath the graphics. Time will tell if Aion or SUN or any of the other lovely looking games will have anything but Lineage 2 "Gouge my own eyes out" gameplay.

yup, your right about vanguard. it isn't all eye candy. if you unwrap the eye candy paper, you will see a pretty box named: Everquest.