Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For Better or For Worse

BKOOLBKOOL Member Posts: 67

In the most recent news about Ultima X: Odyssey they are saying that they have added portals to the world for easier travel.  Is this a good idea?  I think not.  In a game that wants to promote adventure like this one, why would they want to put in portals.  Traveling is most of the adventure and if you make it so that you can reach anywhere in the world in 5 minutes than there is no adventure at all.  Now i am not saying that portals are all bad, i just think that they should only be in large towns that are extremely far apart.  And another thing for all those complaing that they can't travel a path because you will be killed by a monster, do what a normal person would do and go around.  Well that is my opinion, what is yours?image

Comments

• YordoYordo Member Posts: 831

Good post....those have always been my thoughts.  I do not like being able to just teleport to any spot when you are a low level.  This should only be available to high level characters in very FEW areas.  One of the coolest parts of MMO's are the humongous worlds which you can explore and move around in.  Teleporting anywhere you want to takes this aspect of gameplay away.  I hope they have some limits on what you can and cannot do with this system.  From what I've read, however, it doesn't sound like it.

::Yordo::
    EQ2 Guild Search
    UXO, Lineage 2, KO, Guild Wars, Dragon Empires, City of Heroes

• OlroxOlrox Member Posts: 46

I dont like the Idea of teleproting any where but I like what daoc did you buy a ticket for a horse and the horse takes you to that location. This way you still get to see the scenery and travel faster than on foot.

Are there going to be horses like in UO in Ultima X?

In Nomine Dei Nostri Satanas Luciferi Excelsi.

Not sure if they have said anything about horses or any creature mounts...would be nice feature to have though.

EQ2 Guild Search

• StijunStijun Member Posts: 100

I suppose this is good and bad, I see it as helping me keep a few spots secret since alot of people will be to lazy to walk and find them. Than I see the fact that people will miss out on all that experience and fun you get from walking along and finding some random high level monster spawn than fleeing like mad. image

I love exploring.  It's one of my favorite parts of online games....and the best part is I never run out of places to explore :)

EQ2 Guild Search

• StijunStijun Member Posts: 100

That's my point it's so much fun finding a spot no one knows about with a spawn no one realised was there and milking it for all it's worth. image

• Billius8Billius8 Member Posts: 574

I agree. IMO, portals are what ruined EQLive, or at least a good part of it.  I remember the fun I used to have in the cross continental treak to get from Halas to Freeport, and how I had to go through Kithicor Forest (and hopefully not get lost when the sun went down).  Also, part of being in a particular geography (i.e., Freeport, for example) was sort of cool.  If you were in an area, you were very aware of that fact and planned your adventures accordingly.  If you left the area, you generally planned your trip and made sure you had all the food, water, bandages, arrows, etc for the long journey.  I hope that portals are limited in upcoming games.  Maybe levels 40 and up can only port, something like that might be a good rule.  Don't spoil the adventure.

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I agree with you guys!  Free ports around don't make the game more fun imo, they detract from the exploration, from the feel of the world, and from my enjoyment in general.

I don't understand why a developer would want to add lots of ports either, all it does is cut out a big chunk of the content they have created.

Many game companies now focus on this "if its not fun, get rid of it" theme.  While this is a good idea they seem to look at it too narrowly.  While running through the same spot repeatedly may not be the pinnacle of joy, it does provide the sense of having to overcome something (monsters, travel, whatever) to get somewhere and the sense of reward and increase of fun that results in the end when you get where you are going.

Taking out all the challenge or repetitive tasks can improve the game in some small degree while it cheapens the whole game on a larger scale.