Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sesterces

CrazyDiamondCrazyDiamond Member Posts: 9

Something like this has probably been posted, but I have a couple of concerns about the payment.

Is there other means to make money? ie: conquer, gladiator battles, crafting, etc, or do you HAVE to pay to survive? and if there was other means to make money, will it be the same money? or will it be money that is limited to certain things?

Comments

• VirtusVirtus Member Posts: 492
    take a look in here under any topic with the word VERM and do a RV forum search using the word VERM. All yours questions will be answered.

• sempiternalsempiternal Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Yes, the money you earn in game from NPCs or other players is the same as what you can buy, Sesterces, and it can be spent on anything.
  • korrikenkorriken Member Posts: 40
    yeah you can gain money other ways, but it would still be good if people would buy money to keep the game afloat. with this i can imagine they will be putting in enough money sinks to keep money from being overly abundant. in games like WoW and EQ2 money is so abundant you can literally give away a "fortune" and not be phased by it you can gain so much money.

yeah this is a first in MMOs that i have seen anyway, a game where the company sells the money instead of selling a "special" currency that can be used to buy "special items". how this will actually pan out, we shall see. personally since you would spend about $15 a month on an mmo anyway, I don't see a problem in buying about that much money each month/every other month.

but its like they say: Cant be a polician without money to back you up.

• elitwebbelitwebb Member Posts: 342

Originally posted by korriken
    yeah you can gain money other ways, but it would still be good if people would buy money to keep the game afloat. with this i can imagine they will be putting in enough money sinks to keep money from being overly abundant. in games like WoW and EQ2 money is so abundant you can literally give away a "fortune" and not be phased by it you can gain so much money.

yeah this is a first in MMOs that i have seen anyway, a game where the company sells the money instead of selling a "special" currency that can be used to buy "special items". how this will actually pan out, we shall see. personally since you would spend about $15 a month on an mmo anyway, I don't see a problem in buying about that much money each month/every other month.

but its like they say: Cant be a polician without money to back you up.

Hell, even if you did the bargin price of $10 a month, that gives them some well deserved cash, and well you some cash as well lol.  I don't have a problem buying money from them.  They will be getting money from me, if the product is worth it.  But I am sure that it will be.
  • korrikenkorriken Member Posts: 40

It's good to see other people are looking at the game for what it is, instead of what it is compared to the big budget games. RV has a lot of potential, and after talking to some of the beta testers on how the game actually plays, I'm loving it even more. Normally I wanna see a free trial before I play any MMO game, with good reason. the 2 weeks the trial runs, i USUALLY grow weary of it, because most games are the same on so many points.

how many level grinding treadmill games can compete on the market? As long as RV can avoid the many troubles that the 'big boys' have, such as...

whining crybabies that scream for nerfs any time they die in a pvp situation.
    "OMG, I couldn't kill a guy in full platemail with my bow in 1 shot! NERF ARMOR!!"

People who constantly want more PvE content in games.
    "OMG you mean i actually have to fight ANOTHER PLAYER?!"

Morons.
    "durr, chuck norris<insert random quote from Somethingaweful> HUR HUR HUR I'm SO FUNNY AND CLEVER!"

Elitists, (ok this is unavoidable...)
    "your skills maxed out? no? then go away! we have no time for those who aren't already good!"

Beggars,
    "GIMME FREE PLZ THX!"

1337 5p34k3Rs, speaks for itself, no quote here...

people who blatantly refuse to RP at all...
    "WTB, WTS, LFG!!, STFU/GTFO!!"

people with "correct/incorrect" syndrome.
    "What's the best weapon to use in this game? I don't wanna be caught using the 2nd best weapon."

Personally I find the community of the large games to suck, badly.
  • bsaerensbsaerens Member Posts: 31

There are ways for people to get through this game without paying (much) monthly.

-Join a barbarian tribe:
    As most of these tribes function as communes, tools and other things are mostly shared. Do your job as xxx(insert job) for your tribe and you will be provided for.

-Join a (roman) house that provides for you, as you offer them your skills and hard work.

-Join the legions:
    Give your life for Rome and you will be rewarded.

-Try to make it on your own: Very difficult, but not impossible.
    Concentrate on skills that don't require expensive tools or even skills where you don't need tools at all.
    Exploit your knowledge of the map you are in. Scout around and sell information to those who want/need it.
    Do small tasks for NPC's for a little compensation.
    Steal stuff

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

I could do without people who go overboard with RP as well.

"Hail lowly wench, doth thou contain knowledge on where one aquires a flask of mead to quench Hade's flames in this humble servants throat?" And no, I don't want to see how much Latin you know either.

I see myself spending a lot of time crucified for stabbing people.

Originally posted by tetsul

I could do without people who go overboard with RP as well.
    "Hail lowly wench, doth thou contain knowledge on where one aquires a flask of mead to quench Hade's flames in this humble servants throat?" And no, I don't want to see how much Latin you know either.
    I see myself spending a lot of time crucified for stabbing people.

Only if you spawn kill them or refuse to unattach to thier device that you connected to to stop them crafting.
  • OrdieOrdie Member Posts: 86

That's not real RP, in my opinion. That's lame fantasy RP :P If someone would play a role, he wouldn't magically start to talk like a Shakespeare character. He'd act normally, as someone of that sort would. I will give you an example. In RV, I was a barbarian warrior. I shouted the occasional battlecry, but it was not any constant emote-filled theatre play. Just play the character as he would be normally.

- Starcius

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

Originally posted by Ordie

That's not real RP, in my opinion. That's lame fantasy RP :P If someone would play a role, he wouldn't magically start to talk like a Shakespeare character. He'd act normally, as someone of that sort would. I will give you an example. In RV, I was a barbarian warrior. I shouted the occasional battlecry, but it was not any constant emote-filled theatre play. Just play the character as he would be normally.

Exactly. I don't want to be in the middle of a bad Renaissance fair.

well, if we have any one quoting shakespeare this game has more issues then we first thought
  • jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

A quote from RV site... "And some players may wish to live in greater
    luxury and comfort and could happily spend over £10 a month just
    on enjoying the game to the full!
    "
    So, what does this mean? If Im not paying more then average person, am I not getting to all the content available for the rich?Or is it just a lazy-mans way to get the leet stuff without doing any work? Im gonna have to wait for release to see reviews of this system.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

Originally posted by jimmyman99

A quote from RV site... "And some players may wish to live in greater
    luxury and comfort and could happily spend over £10 a month just
    on enjoying the game to the full!
    "
    So, what does this mean? If Im not paying more then average person, am I not getting to all the content available for the rich?Or is it just a lazy-mans way to get the leet stuff without doing any work? Im gonna have to wait for release to see reviews of this system.

as has been said, by me, at least 500 times there is no +1000 LEET ROXSOR BARB BASHING CLUB OF OMAR.

(people are to lazy to read other posts    /sigh)
  • grenkalgrenkal Member Posts: 58

And now to answer your question.

If you don't pay more than the average person then yes you probably will not get all the content available to the rich, just like in real life.

There is a chance you could make up for it by slaving away in game for ages accumulating wealth slowly but in all probability if someone whacks $100 in to buy a nice house etc then you will not be able to afford the same house.

There is no leet stuff as in a spear is a spear. There will however be differences between a 99QL spear and a 9QL spear and they will be priced accordingly. If you want to deem a 99QL spear as "leet" then that is of course entirely up to you, but they will be available for a price to everyone and crafters who get to max out their skills may be able to make them eventually.

Its really down to time or money and how much your time is worth, skills will always have to be worked at but money can either be put in via the VERM so its immediately available to you or accumulated ingame which will take a while.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by grenkal

And now to answer your question.
    If you don't pay more than the average person then yes you probably will not get all the content available to the rich, just like in real life.
    There is a chance you could make up for it by slaving away in game for ages accumulating wealth slowly but in all probability if someone whacks $100 in to buy a nice house etc then you will not be able to afford the same house.
    There is no leet stuff as in a spear is a spear. There will however be differences between a 99QL spear and a 9QL spear and they will be priced accordingly. If you want to deem a 99QL spear as "leet" then that is of course entirely up to you, but they will be available for a price to everyone and crafters who get to max out their skills may be able to make them eventually.
    Its really down to time or money and how much your time is worth, skills will always have to be worked at but money can either be put in via the VERM so its immediately available to you or accumulated ingame which will take a while.

Thank you, you answered my question much better then Virtus

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage