Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Considering trying EQ2 and I have a class question

Prophet621Prophet621 Member Posts: 13

Though I hated the original EQ due to it being very solo unfriendly and the insane downtime I had heard EQ2 isn't nearly as bad.

I don't often have hours to play so I solo a lot (also hate dealing with kiddies telling me how to play my character which is a big problem in WoW) and was wondering what classes do well soloing but are viable in groups.

Comments

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

What type of soloing, there are many measures.  Ability to do solo quests, ability to explore, ability to older quests intended for groups, ability to kill solo mobs quickly, ability to kill some tough named mobs but at a slower rate, etc

Basically every class can kill solo mobs and do solo quests, but some will be faster the others.  Classes with invisibility make better explorers, classes with roots can generally solo tougher mobs.

As a quick answer I would say consider the pet classes, Necromancers, Conjurers and Coercers.  Conjurers and necromancers are probably a little faster while coercers can generally kill tougher mobs, though all there have been known to kill some selected X2 raid encounters.  Not true Epic mobs, mind you but encounters consisting of multiple named mobs.

After that bruisers, brigands, swashbucklers and monks have a good balance between soloing tough mobs and solo speed with bruisers being the best.  Wizards and in some cases Warlocks are know for their ability to kill yellow ^^^ named mobs solo but it’s a little slow and it’s a lot easier if they are in an open area rather then a dungeon.  Furys and Wardens are the best priest soloers and can do some nice things overall, as can rangers and assassins shadowknights and paladins.

The only classes I would say to avoid are Guardians, Templars, Inquisitors, troubadours, and dirges.  They can still do solo content but it’s a slow process.

• TheKrakenTheKraken Member Posts: 154
    I would also like to add Defiler to lomiller's list of non-solo-friendly classes.  They have awesome power, and many nice abilities for both solo and group situations, but it just flat-out takes too long to kill mobs.  Getting jumped by a 2nd spawn while still fighting the first is an exercise in tedium
  • CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Originally posted by Prophet621
    Though I hated the original EQ due to it being very solo unfriendly and the insane downtime I had heard EQ2 isn't nearly as bad. I don't often have hours to play so I solo a lot (also hate dealing with kiddies telling me how to play my character which is a big problem in WoW) and was wondering what classes do well soloing but are viable in groups.

You're kidding right? I soloed my beastlord to 65 before needing a group and i probably didn't need one then i was just bored. Wizards, druids and necros could all solo to 70 pretty easy.

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    Most can solo to some degree, but it is a little easier with either a Conjuror or a Berserker. 
  • herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

All classes solo well in EQ2 .Some do better then others.I say best solo class are pet classes-conjuror,necromancer.

Bottom of them might be bards- troub a bit worse then dirges.Guardians solo reasonably well but the kill to time ratio is one of the worst .

I say if u are really into soloing then

mage-conjuror,necromancer

fighter-bruiser,monk,zerker

priest-fury

scout-ranger,assasin

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

I was able to solo my Ranger to 20, Assassin to 28, Shadowknight to 17, and Wizard to 18.

As you can see my max is level 28, so I can only speak for level up until that.

• BigfootBigfoot Member Posts: 364
    How well do Shadowknight's solo compared to the classes mentioned above?  SK is the only class I've played so far and they seem like a fun hybrid.

Looking for something new.

• SlntasnSlntasn Member Posts: 711

Well, I solo'ed a SK and Assassin about a year ago, before any major changes were really implemented. At that time, Assassins seemed a bit easier because of the sheer amount of damage they dealt, but SK's could handle 2-3 encounters at once.

I'm sure its much different now.

• DarkikonDarkikon Member UncommonPosts: 42

Any class can solo pretty well, so don't let lack of solo content stop you from picking up this game. You do get better exp grouped and killing appropriate mobs, but soloing allows you to set your own agenda with regard to completing quests, which often can boost your exp as well. Of course, there is still some content that you'll have to grouped to experience, some quests you'll need a group to complete.

• RenessaRenessa Member Posts: 79
    I have soloed my Swashbuckler to 53. It is possible and I had a lot of fun doing it, but you have to realize it does take longer than grouping. If you don't mind that, there are a lot of quests you can do on your own.
  • WombaWomba Member Posts: 35

Dunno about other classes but i soloed my Paladin to 60, needed party only for heritages before they went grey. Of course that was back when eq2 launched and was harder but pallys selfheal let me kill mobs safely that others had hard time.

• lomillerlomiller Member Posts: 1,810

Originally posted by Bigfoot
    How well do Shadowknight's solo compared to the classes mentioned above?  SK is the only class I've played so far and they seem like a fun hybrid.

They have good DPS for a fighter, can wear the best armor in the game and can heal themselves with lifetaps, what more could you ask for.  :)  They don’t quite keep up with bruisers, but IMO they are comparable to monks and not far behind the top four. (Bruisers, Necromancers, Conjurers and Coercers)

If they have a MasterI or even Adept III charm I would rate Coercers as the best overall soloers.  Charm is basically another form of pet, and can be very powerful with the right pet.  A charmed ^^^ a few levels above yourself can chain kill group content you own level with relative ease.  Not only that when the pet does die you get loot and XP for that as well.  Add in crowd control and you have a very powerful combination. 

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Considering soloing is not the only way to get exp in EQ2 its worth picking what you like.I say any class but bards if you are new.To make my bard solo at near the rate my assasin did(my assasin was on  a new server so never had much money ) i had to gear him in best crafted items and buy and make master /adept 3 spells.

I did collection quests,discoveries and non combat quests to get my dirge from 1 to 40 without even having to fight .