Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Still no Beta 3?

So, back when E3 was happening, Sigil said that beta 3 would start "soon". And they also mentioned that the x-fer to $OE would cause some delays in starting the next phase of beta. And yet they still say that the game will be released "this winter". "Soon" seems to mean something different to Brad and Sigil than it does to the average person. E3 was a long time ago, and still no beta 3 started, let alone beta 4, beta 5, open beta, etc.

Oh, and sometime ago, we went to beta 2 to beta 2.5.

Well, it's starting to look more and more that the game will not be ready for this winter. If it takes multiple months between each phase of beta, and each phase is 6 months to a year in length, I'd guess that a 2010 release seems like a more realistic estimate of a release. There's still only one of three continents completed, after 5 years of development. Numerous classes are not implemented yet, let alone tested. Diplomacy has no info at all, other than generalities that give no concrete information.

How long will it actually take for this game to be created, let alone tested, fianalized, and released in patches to non-existant beta-tests that are going to start "soon"?

In short, is Vanguard just Vapourware? It's certainly starting to look like it.

Those that know, don't need to be told.
Those that don't know, won't listen.

Comments

• knightmendesknightmendes Member Posts: 24

Im quite ansious aswell for the arrival of this new game, but i must agree with you, most of the game isnt ready yet to be released, few continents are done, the classes are still undone (most of them anyways), and there is still another beta testing? I think that it wont be ready at winter 2006, but i seriously doubt it that 2010 is the release date.
    I hope they keep they're word and release the game this year, but that just seems somewhat impossible...

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926
    You do know that winter starts in the middle of December, right? The could release March next year and still be released in the winter. I know lots of people want to hurry the game up, but when has a hurried game ever been worth a damn? The game will release when it is ready, and it is far from being ready. Beta 3 will start when they think it is time, but that won't be until after they make the switch to SOE servers which has yet to happen. So instead of hoping for an early release, hope for a good release of a quality game no matter how long that takes. After all, I would rather play a good game in 2007 than another incomplete piece of garbage in 2006.

image image

• furyjubfuryjub Member Posts: 15
    I agree with slow beta's making me want to cry  I want to see it out soon too, but I also totally agree with n2sooners that I'd much rather wait a bit longer, than be dissapointed after a hurried release.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    OP, your post would of been appropriate if it were posted at the end of this year. Nobody knows the exact release date. All we have is "this game may be released this winter", nothing certain.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• Deva-stateDeva-state Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by knightmendes

Im quite ansious aswell for the arrival of this new game, but i must agree with you, most of the game isnt ready yet to be released, few continents are done, the classes are still undone (most of them anyways), and there is still another beta testing? I think that it wont be ready at winter 2006, but i seriously doubt it that 2010 is the release date.
    I hope they keep they're word and release the game this year, but that just seems somewhat impossible...

No one every said it would be released this year.. Brad said Winter. that could mean Jan, Feb, March of 07.
  • Deva-stateDeva-state Member Posts: 64

Originally posted by furyjub
    I agree with slow beta's making me want to cry  I want to see it out soon too, but I also totally agree with n2sooners that I'd much rather wait a bit longer, than be dissapointed after a hurried release.

Trust me if it was released now it would fail.
  • furyjubfuryjub Member Posts: 15

Let me make my first post a little clearer. Slow beta and no set release date is very frustrating because everyone is so excited about this new game. But I think everyone out there knows that the wait will be well worth it.

Am I saying I wish it was released tomorrow? Yes in a perfect world it would be rdy

If it was released tomorrow would I even touch it? Heck no, because I know it's no where near rdy

Hence my first post I said slow beta's make me want to cry, but the wait will be worth it because when it does come out be it in Jan or Mar I will know they took the time needed to make it the great game we all know it can be. Simply a way to express my frustrations and at the say time say that I know the wait will be worth it.

tentonhammer.com  keeps pretty well upto date good site to dig around and find some info

• HaradekHaradek Member Posts: 47

Originally posted by Deva-state

Originally posted by furyjub
    Trust me if it was released now it would fail.

I think that I can speak for Brad here...if the game was released now...he wouldnt play it. Brad has always stood by the promise that he will not let this game go Gold in a unfinished state.

I am very anxious for the game to start, or get a chance to beta test,but I am willing to wait for a great game. I just wish that I could have waited for SWG... 

~H

Haradek Shadowstalker
    EQ,EQII,SWG,AO,DAOC,Planetside,COH,WOW

• oakthornnoakthornn Member UncommonPosts: 863

Originally posted by Painthane

So, back when E3 was happening, Sigil said that beta 3 would start "soon". And they also mentioned that the x-fer to $OE would cause some delays in starting the next phase of beta. And yet they still say that the game will be released "this winter". "Soon" seems to mean something different to Brad and Sigil than it does to the average person. E3 was a long time ago, and still no beta 3 started, let alone beta 4, beta 5, open beta, etc

E3 was last month..How does that qualify as being a long time ago? You must have the aging span of a feline to think a little more than a month was "a long time ago"  Patience my friend..Beta 3 is coming soon.Most likely within the next couple weeks..

There is going to be no Beta 5 or open beta... Beta 4 will be the last stage of Beta and its supposed to be the shortest stage..

Also,Beta 1 lasted just 2 months from October to December.. They originally stated that Beta 3 would be the longest Beta phase,but perhaps Sigil changed their mind and made Beta 2 the longest phase..

And theres no way Vanguard looks like vapourware.. :) 

Patience is a virtue my friend.Mr Brad Mcquaid is one of the most experienced Developers on the planet,"if not the best"  I believe Vanguard will be an amazing game..I loved EQ for many years,as I'm sure I'll enjoy VSOH for years to come.. Just gotta be patient..The rewards will come eventually.

Rallithon Oakthornn
    (Retired Heirophant of the 60th season)

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by oakthornn

There is going to be no Beta 5 or open beta... Beta 4 will be the last stage of Beta and its supposed to be the shortest stage..

Brad said about a month or two ago they may add an additional stage or two to beta so there may be a beta 5 and possibly a beta 6.

read this if u want to know a little about the Diplomacy system.

http://www.vgtact.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=197

Rallithon Oakthornn

Originally posted by Zippy

Brad said about a month or two ago they may add an additional stage or two to beta so there may be a beta 5 and possibly a beta 6.

Ya I heard about that too,but as of now its speculation and not official..We'll see If this happens though..

Rallithon Oakthornn

• GrimmWrathGrimmWrath Member Posts: 59

There's really no such thing as an official development schedual, they make it up as they go along adjusting to changes along the way.  The way things are shaping up if testing goes well beta 3 will run late-July/August thru December, beta 4 will be December thru February with release in late February or March 2007--

if testing doesn't go well we could be looking at beta 4 January thru April, with beta 5 running to release in summer 2007

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926
    Last I heard, there will be a beta 5, but it will likely just be to stress test the servers and things like the billing system and it sounds like it may even be after the game has gone gold. Beta 3 will be when they start inviting many more people and guilds. The game will still be far from complete and they will still be adding classes and content. Beta 4 will likely be when the game is mostly finished and they are just polishing the game and want to start stressing the servers and such. In beta 4 the game should be in the shape all those who are whining about beta 2 were expecting.

image image

• ChoctawChoctaw Member Posts: 2

Link please.  I haven't seen a post by the devs on this.

Originally posted by Choctaw

Link please.  I haven't seen a post by the devs on this.

Heres the official information..Everything else you've heard is just rumors and speculation..This comes from Brad himself..

- 2.2 When will you start Beta Testing?

We began Beta 0 “Friends and Family” testing with a very small group of people in August 2005.

In August 2005 we began Phase 1 of Beta, and as of October 2005 we have been in Phase 2 of beta. We plan on having a total of at least 4 phases. Our general goals for our beta phases have been and are as follows:

Phase 0: Work out issues between Sigil and Microsoft -- how do we get the code up there, testing issues, patching, etc. Basic infrastructure stuff. Then stability -- get the code at least stable enough that beta testers will not be overly frustrated. Start with a small portion of the world and slowly turn additional regions on over time.

Phase 1: Start testing gameplay. Begin with the basics, then move on to the systems that make Vanguard more unique. Also study how both world size and the world being seamless affects the game. Preferably have at least one full continent online (Thestra) for people to explore and test in.

Phase 2: Continue testing, but with a lot more people. Focus on the mid to higher level game, as well as continue on with crafting, diplomacy, and the other more Vanguard-specific systems. Preferably have all or most of the world online for people to explore and play in.

Phase 3: Fill up a server. Determine the target number of people in a single shard, preferably arriving with a number in between over populated and too sparsely populated. Continue to monitor how fast people are advancing, plus everything else that was in phase 1 and 2. This probably should be the longest phase. Test even more high level areas, but probably not the highest level areas, unless with specific, hand chosen focus groups.

Phase 4: The shortest phase. Bring in a LOT of people (I think EQ had 25,000+). Have multiple shards online and make sure there are no issues there. Test billing, login, etc. Do everything we can to make sure nothing catastrophic happens when we turn on the game for real. Perhaps open some of the high end content briefly, but still being careful to keep mystery in the game.

Launch

And heres the link to the vanguard FAQ Homepage...

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/faq.php?eid=2&faqid=2&ptext=Beta+%26+Release

Hope that helps... As of now,they are right on schedule with beta 3 right around the corner..This is where they'll be adding thousands more beta testers to fill up the servers..And which is where the people who purchased the CGM come in...  :)

As to how long Beta 3 will last still remains to be seen obviously.. But remember,Beta 1 lasted exactly 2 months..Beta 2 has taken the longest so far..I know initially Brad said he planned on having beta 3 last the longest,but perhaps Sigil changed their mind and decided to have Beta 2 be the longest phase..Only time will tell...

Rallithon Oakthornn

• ChoctawChoctaw Member Posts: 2

Thank you for the link.  With that in mind, how do you know that phase 4 won't be an open beta?  That would certainly be one way to get *a LOT* of people in at one time.  :)

Thank you for the link.  With that in mind, how do you know that phase 4 won't be an open beta?  That would certainly be one way to get *a LOT* of people in at one time.  :)

Initially Phase 4 was supposed to be the "stress test phase" where 25,000+ ppl would be brought in to test the server stability..The phase was supposedly only going to last about a few weeks or so since phase 1,2,3 were the actual "game features Beta phases" But there are rumors and speculation going around stating that VG will possibly add a couple more phases but Brad isn't sure yet,. This information was said at E3..

Rallithon Oakthornn

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

Probably won't be an open beta since tens of thousands have applied as beta testers.

It will be quite easy to invite 25,000 testers to the game.

I don't recall Brad McQuaid ever saying he was considering an open beta either.

~ Ancient Membership ~

Brad has not committed to an open beta.  He has said they had 25,000 people in their last stage of beta of EQ1 and the world of Vanguard is much much larger and will most likley need many more people.  Will that be 50k? 100k? Will they need to test multiple servers, their login servers with hundreds of thousands tryying to log in at once, or even mutiple server types?  Most game companies use the last stage of beta more as a marketing tool rather than a stress test.  WoW had 500k in its open beta.  There are 90k accounts on the official forums now plus who knows how many people in the CGM pool.  Probably most if not all of those registered now will get invites.  How many forum accts are duplicate names or bad addresses or will not join beta when invited, probably a very high percentage.   Will SOE present customers get in for the last stage?  Probably not as they will most likely want as little bad SOE publicity as possible.  But I would bet they do a fileplanet get into beta program at some point.
  • GrimmWrathGrimmWrath Member Posts: 59

Originally posted by Zippy

Ya I heard about that too,but as of now its speculation and not official..We'll see If this happens though..

Really, the quote seems fairly solid and official to me.

http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showpost.php?p=1031908&postcount=50

Originally posted by Aradune Mithara

Beta for Vanguard will likely be 5 phases, not 4 as originally planned.  I don't have any dates right now, but the last phases will require a LOT of people.  The second to last beta will require filling up an entire shard, and we are guessing 4-5k per shard, meaning we will need 10-15k people just for that.  Then when we hit the final phase, we will be opening up multiple shards. 

• KariTRKariTR Member Posts: 375
    Five phases. Seeing as the current phase is numbered 2.5 I wouldnt presume we will see an actual beta numbered 5. Semantics I know...
    Just to clarify they started with beta 0 and planned on 5 stages of beta so adding another stage will make 6 stages of beta.  While they are in beta 2 now its really the third stage of beta (4th if you count 2.5 as a seperate stage although the goals do not appear to have changed from those of beta two).