Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Misinformation - Get your facts straight.

RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Expressing your opinion one way or another about a game and/or the people that make the game is one thing. But when you post outright misleading and incorrect information to generate whines or flames its quite another.

The point of this post is hate SOE or Sigil or Vanguard all you want (i'm not a SOE fan and the verdict is out on Vanguard) but when you post things that aren't true you really make yourself look....well...stupid.

Comments

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Rekindle

Expressing your opinion one way or another about a game and/or the people that make the game is one thing. But when you post outright misleading and incorrect information to generate whines or flames its quite another.

The point of this post is hate SOE or Sigil or Vanguard all you want (i'm not a SOE fan and the verdict is out on Vanguard) but when you post things that aren't true you really make yourself look....well...stupid.

I have to agree with you there has been an alarming number of posts of innacurate repetitive posts of late.  All seemingly designed to make Sigil or Vanguard look bad.  Particularily misinformation in regards to the release date and the CGM offer.  There are so many posts with inncaurate information it almost looks like an organized smear campaign. 

There are plenty of legitimate criticisms that people can make about Vanguard and problems they appear to be having in beta.  But rather than bring up these legitimate points the anti-vanguard people seem more inclined to just make things up or pass inaccurate information.

The problem is many of these people don't appear to want to discuss Vanguard, its promise or its faults they just want to bash the game, vent thier frustrations about SOE or just call attention to themselves.  I have to say I am impressed by a recent poster who posted negatively about Vanguard but when he found out the informormation he was relying on was incorrect he changed his mind and became somehwat interested in the game.  Kudos to him.  So many people are concerned about being right not in actual discussion, debate or sharing of information.  It is quite sad.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206
    wasn't this thread was it? lol couldn't resist  - its such a small world.
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Zippy 
    There are so many posts with inncaurate information it almost looks like an organized smear campaign.

Nobody on this message board is THAT organized.

Bad news and rumor spreads like wildfire. It's not like a rumor comes with a certificate of authenticity.

Of course, neither do the "facts". In the world of the"internets", even who should be trusted sources outright lie to make their company/game look better.

If you read ANY post on ANY message board, you must salt it to taste. PERIOD.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451

Originally posted by Rekindle

If you mean to say everyone who posts for you to be happy requires an essay with footnotes and a bibliography, you will never get your wish.  As stated above, some people on forums just aren't concerned with checking facts and go with wihat they read.  Others may have had a unique experience that can not be documented (no proof).  Does this mean they are spreading lies and misinformation?  Sometimes- but other times they are using the knowledge they have to express their opinion.  All you need to do is challenge it.  If it is baseless, it will come out as such.

-W.

• RekindleRekindle Member UncommonPosts: 1,206

Of course that is not what I mean.  What I mean is the doomsayers freaking out becuase they read somewhere that the game was coming out July 11th when its been known for months and months that the game won't be out on that date.  Or when people think vanguard is now 'owned' by SOE.

Or saying the game totally sucks because they saw three screenshots from early beta. Or getting upset because of the beta offering in the gaming magazine which they didn't even buy.

I've expressed my opinions in the past about SOE and Vanguard and what I think of the two.  I've moved from highly anticipating the new game to a general attitude of uncertainity.  But at least I take the time (or try to anyway) to get my facts straight before I start bitching and whining about that the sky is falling regarding things that just aren't true.

Its one thing to say I had a bad experience and here is why.  Its quite another to be talking BS on top of BS just to draw attention to yourself.

My two points are:

1> If you make a statement back it up - if you can't don't say it

2> Message boards is not public office if you mess up admit it and move on.

Nobody wants to use common sense anymore.  The hardcore fanbois have been rightfully accused of calling every opinion other then their own invalid. Uneducated, and  ill informed people have jumped on the "lets flame SOE bandwagon" for no valid reason only to make themselves look entirely stupid.

The net effect is immature bickering less to do about the merits of a game and its publisher/producers and more to do with he said that she said that he said garbage.