Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No combat XP in spellborn?

ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

I don't know if I *really* got that right, but from what I read Spellborn has not levelling by creature killing (aka grinding), but only by completing quests, as recently DDO has. Now I am no fan of a grindfest, and surely mindless grind alone, like in RF Online, is quite boring. But honestly, a game without the possibility to just go out and hunt some creatures for XP is unthinkable to me. Sometimes I just don't want to follow some quest or story, sometimes I just wanna go out and smash some Goblins or Wolves or Spider or whatnot.

Yeah, yeah, good stories and quests blah blah... all nice. But I recall from EQ2 how much some over-complicated quests can be very tiresome. EQ2 was a nice game, but I always preferred the more straightforward quests of WOW, tbh. And again, sometimes I just want to go out and kill.

Any opinions?

"No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience."

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

Comments

• ste3vunste3vun Member UncommonPosts: 24

only from quests... ::::01::

• CyntheCynthe Member UncommonPosts: 1,414

Originally posted by Elikal

But honestly, a game without the possibility to just go out and hunt some creatures for XP is unthinkable to me. Sometimes I just don't want to follow some quest or story, sometimes I just wanna go out and smash some Goblins or Wolves or Spider or whatnot.
    Yeah, yeah, good stories and quests blah blah... all nice. But I recall from EQ2 how much some over-complicated quests can be very tiresome. EQ2 was a nice game, but I always preferred the more straightforward quests of WOW, tbh. And again, sometimes I just want to go out and kill.
    Any opinions?
    "No, we're not mercenaries. We just carry weapons and kill things for the joy of the experience."

If you're content with WoW why are you even considering this game? That's my opinion.

This game has nothing like the dynamics of WoW, you have to come to Spellborn expecting something new, different and challenging. I'm not saying you shouldn't try this game, please do you  might be pleasantly  surprised. The quests are nothing like EQII, which are boring and repetitive, please look up the dev chat on the questing system and see if that appeals to you or not.

If you just want to go kill mobs there will certainly be some to discover and defeat, maybe not for xp, but for other things like a cool soul gems, recipes or maybe just so can get your own statue you never know. Even though the rewards may be different than other games doesn't mean that they won't be as much fun, if not more so.

(,,,)=^__^=(,,,)

• sly220sly220 Member UncommonPosts: 606
    I was woundering were is the discussion about No combat XP in spellborn coming from like ive been searching for a couple days now and cant seem to find were the Dev states anything like that if some one could maby point me in the right direction so to speak that would be wounderful.

• phavengeistphavengeist Member Posts: 3

http://pc.ign.com/articles/694/694574p1.html

This is a great article on TCoS on IGN. It gives a basic overview of the game and discusses the no grinding issue, as well as some other interesting things that they haven't discussed in much detail on tcos.com. I found the link on their website, though, so I'm assuming Spellborn, Intl. approves of it. They seem to farm a lot of their information and screenshots out to other websites, which is good, in that it might be more visible there, but does make it a bit harder to find everything you want to know on the main website.

Yea iive been on the main page for Chronicles of Spellborn and just really havnt learned all to much except what the Devs have lead on about alot of speculations and the screen shots look really good, however the more i look the less confident i feel about the NO MOB XP i mean the grind is going form same mob to you have to do quest to lvl..... i love the idea but common it seems to me that when i kill a mob its gonna almost be like a waste of time you know?

How ever im really excited about the concepts that they arel using in this game and really looking forward to final out come but all my questions will be answered in like 3months when the game comes out...

• HydramanHydraman Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by sly220

Yea iive been on the main page for Chronicles of Spellborn and just really havnt learned all to much except what the Devs have lead on about alot of speculations and the screen shots look really good, however the more i look the less confident i feel about the NO MOB XP i mean the grind is going form same mob to you have to do quest to lvl..... i love the idea but common it seems to me that when i kill a mob its gonna almost be like a waste of time you know?
    How ever im really excited about the concepts that they arel using in this game and really looking forward to final out come but all my questions will be answered in like 3months when the game comes out...

I don't think doing the quests will feel like a grind to me.  Hopefully I will get so caught up in the storyline I won't even notice my level as I progress through meaningful quests.  The feeling and grind resides soley on how well the quests will be presented (hopefully innovative and original).

Also, as far as killing monsters being a waste, I believe they have added something called personal experience points which are gained independently of level.  They are used to give minor stat boosts up till 5 ranks.  If you die, I think you will probably lose all or most of you Personal XP and have to rank up again with out dying.

Hope that helps, I'm really looking forward to the game!

• Mikey0002Mikey0002 Member Posts: 97
    Yeah, I remember the Nann-E talking about that. I was asking him, if there is a point to PvP, and that there should be a penalty for death. He mentioned something very similar about the personal experience, but said, the longer you live the more exp you get. I thought it was just for PvP. If you die in Pvp and PvE I guess you loose your personal experience. He said it depends how long you stay alive. If you stay alive long enough, you get these stat boosts and thats your reward for not dying. Kinda the opposite of a death penatly.

Have to put something up!

• MetimaMetima Member Posts: 1
    I think that the no grinding idea is actually pretty good. Like a lot of spellborn, it's slightly different than the norm, but that's good sometimes.
  • Freeze_TCoSFreeze_TCoS TCoS CMMember Posts: 15

Hi All,

The Chronicle of Spellborn does have experience for combat. In fact, it even has 2 forms of combat experience;

- Killing mobs will grant the player a small amount of regular xp. Although most regular xp will be gained by successfully completing quests, we do want to offer players a small incentive for the work they have done even if they have failed the quest... So killing monsters grants small amounts of regular xp.

- Killing monster will grant the player with Pep experience. PeP (Personal experience Points) is used to buff players that manage to stay alive for longer periods. PeP comes in different ranks (-5 to +5) with ranks below zero giving negative bonuses and rank above zero giving positive bonuses. The different PeP states have impact on the character's run speed, combat speed en damage output. The fun part is all this is the fact that many of the combat skills have direct impact on the hight of these states...

For more info check out this (http://www.tcos.com/en/gameworld/?id=statistics) article on tcos.com!

Freeze

www.tcos.com

If we are talking about the PeP system all it states is that...

PeP system
    The Personal experience Point (PeP) system grants characters bonuses to the attributes and states if the character stays alive and gains experience in combat. When a character dies all bonuses are lost and the PeP rank is reset. The bonuses are given based on the ranking below.

OH haha i feel dumb lol thanks for the info and link this may  put an end to the whole no xp in combat 

• HydramanHydraman Member Posts: 15

Originally posted by Freeze_TCoS

Hi All,

The Chronicle of Spellborn does have experience for combat. In fact, it even has 2 forms of combat experience;

- Killing mobs will grant the player a small amount of regular xp. Although most regular xp will be gained by successfully completing quests, we do want to offer players a small incentive for the work they have done even if they have failed the quest... So killing monsters grants small amounts of regular xp.

- Killing monster will grant the player with Pep experience. PeP (Personal experience Points) is used to buff players that manage to stay alive for longer periods. PeP comes in different ranks (-5 to +5) with ranks below zero giving negative bonuses and rank above zero giving positive bonuses. The different PeP states have impact on the character's run speed, combat speed en damage output. The fun part is all this is the fact that many of the combat skills have direct impact on the hight of these states...

For more info check out this (http://www.tcos.com/en/gameworld/?id=statistics) article on tcos.com!

Freeze

You can have negative levels of PeP?  Meaning if you die too much you will go negative?  Doesn't that qualify as a death penalty you were trying to avoid?

• Freeze_TCoSFreeze_TCoS TCoS CMMember Posts: 15

You are right..

Slight slip in the information there..

PeP is always positive. The effects gained by positive PeP ranks have impact on you Morale, Physique and Concentration bars...those bars can be nagative or positive.

For example. When you Physique is lowered by a slowing skill, your runspeed will go down. Your Physique bar will be negative..lets say -4. If you have a PeP rank of 3, you will gain a +3 bonus to your Physique, Morale and Concentration bars. This will mean that the actual impact of the slowing spell will be +3 - 4 = -1. This will mean that players with a higher PeP rank will have an easier time while playing. The numbers used in this example are pure for illustration.

This also explains that losing your PeP rank by dying has quite the impact :)

Freeze

www.tcos.com

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    in TCoS there will not be 2 kinds of Combat xp, there will be 1 where you can get xp for killing mobs - the PeP that range from -5 to +5 - which will make you alittle stronger when you gain xp from killing mobs, if you die it will return to zero or go lower if you already are at 0, and it will go to zero over time if you just sit down and do nothing.

in the other xp pool you will only gain xp from quests, and thats the one you have to advance to get to lvl 50, important thing tho, everyone can do everything, you will just get more class specific skills, and some mobs will be very hard to kill w/o those skills, but everybody can group up nm lvl
  • mutantmagnetmutantmagnet Member Posts: 274

Thanks to the Dev Tracker and Google's online translator I noticed this reversal on their stance confirming a little XP will be given for monsters.

Click Here

It would be wise to use that tracker now and then to get a bit of a somewhat real time update.