Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

spellborn: original and interesting....

ste3vunste3vun Member UncommonPosts: 24
We should take a better look at this game, I know that if you visit the site and see the first few screens that you won't like it. But if you look further too the combat system and take a look at some more screens... Than I think you like it. Making your own combo's having your own houses, and more. And look at the classes, they are unique and very surprising in a positif way:
the combat system
the character statistics
and the 3 main classes (wich are seperated in 3 different classes from lvl 10)
the rogues
the casters
the warriors

The skills are also quite nice and original (ok I do have seen backstep of course ;) ), at least for an MMO.
For example we take the Bloodwarrior class, it's a whole class based on making blood links between himself, his enemys and his alies. He can for example make a combo like this: (just an example)

1: Make a link between the blood warrior and his enemys, draining health slowly
2: Reducing his life to 1 health and doing the same to all the linked
3: Violent cut of, destroying the blood link and dealing damage to the enemys

I know this is only a 3 moves combo but it's quite nice tough I really would like to see this game in action so peopls, look a bit further then the frontpage of this game and you'll find a lot of interesting aspects...

Comments

• DarraessDarraess Member Posts: 59
    CotS has cought my eye for a long time now, the overall game seems very interesting, and believe it or not the graphics especially avatar graphics is what intrigues me most, they definately have and artistic Surrealistic touch which intrigues me greatly.

From the East engine of L2, GW, RF etc etc, to the western type of EQ, DAoC, AC etc etc or Toonish anime or not styles, i think CotS is the first to bring interesting graphics in play seemingly made more by artists then just animators.

• ste3vunste3vun Member UncommonPosts: 24

maybe if the makers of TCOS would do more marketing, then the game would be more famous, and be more accepted. The most people skip it on seeing it the first time, I think they try to get customers with the wrong information, for example this is what stands here on MMORPG at overview:

What differentiates ‘The Chronicles of Spellborn’ from other MMORPG's?

Having your own virtual identity from the start and to grow this identity meaningful by:

* Dress to impress: From day 1 you will be able to look cool by choosing and changing clothes, armors, weapons, skills.
    * Influencing the world with your actions: This ranges from lifelike statues of your character in Quarterstone to unlocking and owning new parts of the worlds through questing, politics and conquest.
    * ‘Join and play’, you don’t have to walk whole marathons before the fun starts.
    * ‘The Chronicles of Spellborn’ combat system based on skill decks. You will be able to create your own individual fighting style.

This are a view good points but not the most important (i think), at least not clear enough. If you ask me the it whould be a bit more like:

Having your own virtual identity from the start and to grow this identity meaningful by:

* Dress to impress: From day 1 you will be able to look cool by choosing and changing clothes, armors, weapons, skills, and you will be able to get rare armor and special skills later on the game
    * Influencing the world with your actions: This ranges from lifelike statues of your character in Quarterstone to unlocking and owning new parts of the worlds through questing, building guild halsl, politics, conquest and more!
    * ‘The Chronicles of Spellborn’ combat system based on skill decks. You will be able to create your own individual fighting style and combo's.
    * A fresh European (NOT KOREAN ::::18:: ) art style and an original story line, together with music of Within Temptation!
    * Skill based combat, you have a crosshair and you can for example evade by running away, no longer will spells fikkiw you untill they finally hit!

• HauntHaunt Member Posts: 86

Joined the site and added it to my "games to watch" list.  They are in beta so all we can do at this time is join the site, participate in forums and hope to be added to beta phase2.

Thanks for the information, though.  This game does look interesting.

Vagabond Spirit in search of a home...
    Which FF Character Are You?

this thread needs to get to the front page, so I just post another post here I guess ::::02::

• theanimedudetheanimedude Member UncommonPosts: 1,610

I too have been watching TCoS for a long time.

I desperately tried to get into the beta, but i'm not fanboyish enough to pass their test. I frankly stopped being a fanboy for any MMO after Ryzom failed. I was a total Ryzom fanboy, but they let me down, and therefore I have lost all faith in indie devs ::::16::

The game has the chance to be great, let's just hope it struts its stuff early and attracts the clientel it needs to stay strong.

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295

I've been following this mmorpg since I first heard about it.  Besides it's different setting, I am anxious to see the games features and most of all, see just how much fun it will be to play.  I am definitely going to give this one a try when it comes out.

My favorite feature so far is the way you can customize your character.

• saydursaydur Member UncommonPosts: 185
    Upsides I see- Innovative skill system, new style of combat, interesting style to art, not another stereotypical regional setting.  Stereotypical European fantasy IS as irritating as stereotypical Korean fantasy, it's just more likely you can read the uninspired dialogue.

Downsides- Skills will be narrowed to a handful of the "best", anything that's not the best in skills will be ignored by most players.  Combat style could be terribly awkward, or particularly vulnerable to lag making things unplayable.  Still based on European fantasy from what I can see.  Honestly, I'd love to see a decent Korean/Chinese setting for an MMO that was done right, translated well, and looked nice.  I suppose I'm in the minority there.

Also, I have to wonder how the timed tiers will work.  The active combat setting increases combat versatility, but the tiers seem to set players into mindless zombie mode.  I really don't like the idea, especially for PvP.  When PvP is done right, response to a situation is most important, not whether your skilldeck is stacked properly against a certain type of opponent which may or may not show up.  I'm very hesitant about that.

In the end, it looks more promising than a lot of what's out there, but these are rightfully skeptical times.  It's not a complete revolution by any means, but a little bit of innovation could be quite nice.  Let's see what comes of it.

good you all think 'bout the game like that :)

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

I am looking forward to this game also.

Lots of good ideas, quality graphics.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh

• TheWarcTheWarc Member Posts: 1,199

Very original and interesting, but so far no new original game has reached the top..

• JorevJorev Member Posts: 1,500

By top I guess you mean being popular, well I have found that quality is often not the most popular. Most people just don't have good taste and are too sheepish to actually develop any of their own.

Take music for instance. The best bands will never be in the billboard top 100 or be on the MTV music award show.

"We feel gold selling and websites that promote it damage games like Vanguard and will do everything possible to combat it."
    Brad McQuaid
    Chairman & CEO, Sigil Games Online, Inc.
    Executive Producer, Vanguard: Saga of Heroes
    www.vanguardsoh