Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Another patch 1am June 16th

anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

I will give them this: they are patching fast. Last patch was good  and did shore up all the things the other patches borked. Let's see how they forge ahead with this one. I'm still able to play because refund hasn't gotten through yet.

Only reason I have hope is because this game could be even better than UO was if they get it running. That and every other game seems to bore me to beers.

Comments

• virtuellavirtuella Member UncommonPosts: 699

Originally posted by anarchyart

I will give them this: they are patching fast. Last patch was good  and did shore up all the things the other patches borked. Let's see how they forge ahead with this one. I'm still able to play because refund hasn't gotten through yet.
    Only reason I have hope is because this game could be even better than UO was if they get it running. That and every other game seems to bore me to beers.

Better than Ultima Online??!!
    You have got to be kidding me.

That's the biggest insult i have heard in a along time.

As for the patch today.
    They hopefully fix the broken baloons but then they break 10 more things as they always do when making patches.

• infra172infra172 Member UncommonPosts: 145
    If I were you guys I would be ashamed to admit I payed money for this crap.

blank

• PwynnPwynn Member Posts: 45
    Nothing will ever beat Ultima Online 

• AlouisiousAlouisious Member Posts: 201

I will give them this: they are patching fast. Last patch was good  and did shore up all the things the other patches borked

Thats a damn lie. Not only am I in game, I tried to play after the last patch and it forked up even more. Take just one glance at the DNL boards for "the last patch was good" lie. Several posts with the bs forkups. Their patches are simple ametuer practice patches. THey have yet to do one right.
  • anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Pwynn

Dark and Light, if it worked perfectly, could top UO for ME in terms of fun. The world is so vast and you really have to dig in to it and just go exploring sometimes. Add to that Hang gliders, snowboards (!!!), parachutes and ridable dragons along with their unique PVP system, yes it could top UO. Only time will tell.

BTW it wasn't a patch last night, just server maintenance.

Originally posted by virtuella
    Better than Ultima Online??!!
    You have got to be kidding me.

That's the biggest insult i have heard in a along time.

I'm saying if the game worked perfectly, yes for ME it could top UO. Have you played it? I find it has a real UO type of vibe. Take your ritalin though.

• ZippyZippy Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,412

Originally posted by Pwynn

Dark and Light, if it worked perfectly, could top UO for ME in terms of fun. The world is so vast and you really have to dig in to it and just go exploring sometimes. Add to that Hang gliders, snowboards (!!!), parachutes and ridable dragons along with their unique PVP system, yes it could top UO. Only time will tell.

BTW it wasn't a patch last night, just server maintenance.

If DnL worked perfectly with no bugs, lag or stability problems it would still be the worst game ever released.  To make DnL competitve with other games they would have to rebuild the entire game.  That would mean throwing out the combat system and putting in a modern combat system, redoing the skills system, spending at least 6 months (multiply that time by 6 for the DnL devs) fleshing out the skills and balancing the classes in testing, putting in actual mob A1 along with some scripts and attacks for mobs, adding in animations for combat, putting in dungeons and mob camps rather than wandering mobs waiting to be killed, fleshing out the crafting sysem and balancing it with drops and rapair costs, spending at least a year testing and developing the siege system and so much more. 

The problem with DnL is not the bugs, the lag or the stabilty its the design,.  Everythiong was just randomly thrown togethr with little to no thought.  Give this game to a professional development team with an actual budget and they could turn DnL into a semi0releaseable game with a limited amount of content in 2-4 years.  Ask the present incometents to get the game in  releaseable form and we will all be lucky to live long enough to see the game in a releaseable form.

With all the lack of content, bugs and stability problems I don't see how this game will be any better this year, next year or next decade.  Its the worst game ever made now, it will be the worst game ever made next year and next decade it will be the same.  There is really no saving this game other than putting it back in development, firing every dev and starting compeletely from scratch.

But lets just say they decided not to shut down the servers when the population peaks at 50-100 subscribers in the next few months.  How long will it take them to make the game stable.  In 7 months they have done almost nothing in terms of stability.  In three full years of beta this is what we have.  Just making this game stable absent of content will take them years.  The only thing saving them is no one plays the game. Rememebr their promise to junk the combat system and put in a modern combat system by December or January.  That sure worked out well. They just simply don't have the budget, number of developers, or the skill to add any meaningful content in time to save this game.  To many free games out there for the kiddies to play thatare a 100 times btter than DnL out there.  While we all would wish they could magically add content, fix stability and all the bugs its impossible.  This game is dead. 

• SigneSigne Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 2,524
    I have to agree with Zippy.  DnL is one of the most disjointed, unstable, badly produced games I've seen.  It's as if they had no plan and just stitched something together at the last moment.  It has a temporary feel to it... as if it's some sort of place holder for a "real" game.   The one bit I agree with anarchyart about is that it's big.  Unfortunately, it's big and empty.

Originally posted by Zippy

If DnL worked perfectly with no bugs, lag or stability problems it would still be the worst game ever released. 

I understand you hate the game and all, but that's just a silly thing to say. There are so many worse games out there. Entirely subjective though.

• vortigen7vortigen7 Member Posts: 116
    The developers scrapped the game "Wish" because it performed so poorly, even though it's potential was good. DnL should follow their lead and scrap this thing now before their image is completely blown. Their next game (if any) will probably be released under a different name.  The company electronics manufacturer Philips released products under the name Magnavox to test the market, and in later years renamed their company Philips Magnavox to boost the recognition of the Philips name, and Farlan/NP3 will probably have to do the same (or do away with the Farlan/NP3 name recognition completely, perhaps claiming they were bought out by a different company).

Originally posted by vortigen7
    The developers scrapped the game "Wish" because it performed so poorly, even though it's potential was good. DnL should follow their lead and scrap this thing now before their image is completely blown. Their next game (if any) will probably be released under a different name.  The company electronics manufacturer Philips released products under the name Magnavox to test the market, and in later years renamed their company Philips Magnavox to boost the recognition of the Philips name, and Farlan/NP3 will probably have to do the same (or do away with the Farlan/NP3 name recognition completely, perhaps claiming they were bought out by a different company).

See I don't think you have played DnL, or at least seen it like I have. You need 2 gigs of ram and at least a 256mb video card just to play it on 1, the lowest engine settting (view distance) so you can see the game with no lag. Once you do, you can see how close the game is to being finished and how inexcplicable it is that Farlan/Npcube seem at a loss to be able to fix what's wrong.

This improvement pace and recent Balloon bug/complete borking feel to me like some pretty senior programmers jumped ship and the programmers left are struggling to tie the balloon strings together. Either way, the game isn't near as bad as many cynics would lead you to believe.

Fix the balloons, Invert mouse, put some more mobs in the game, fix the lag on the higher engine settings or at least put in an auto video configure so people have a chance to see the game wihout lag. That doesn't seem like a lot to ask to me. Oh and fix the camera too. It needs to be 100% tight, no room for a floating camera in a game with that much view distance (mind crushing lag). With those things fixed the game is golden, I don't need too many more quests.

UO didn't have a single quest in the game and yet it was a highly compelling game.

• vortigen7vortigen7 Member Posts: 116

See I don't think you have played DnL, or at least seen it like I have. You need 2 gigs of ram and at least a 256mb video card just to play it on 1, the lowest engine settting (view distance) so you can see the game with no lag. Once you do, you can see how close the game is to being finished and how inexcplicable it is that Farlan/Npcube seem at a loss to be able to fix what's wrong.
    This improvement pace and recent Balloon bug/complete borking feel to me like some pretty senior programmers jumped ship and the programmers left are struggling to tie the balloon strings together. Either way, the game isn't near as bad as many cynics would lead you to believe.

Fix the balloons, Invert mouse, put some more mobs in the game, fix the lag on the higher engine settings or at least put in an auto video configure so people have a chance to see the game wihout lag. That doesn't seem like a lot to ask to me. Oh and fix the camera too. It needs to be 100% tight, no room for a floating camera in a game with that much view distance (mind crushing lag). With those things fixed the game is golden, I don't need too many more quests.

UO didn't have a single quest in the game and yet it was a highly compelling game.

First of all, I have played DnL and SoG, so I'm not just writing crap like most posters. Why would I waste my time to talk about a game I've not experienced first-hand? Besides, your comments in reference to quoting what I'd said are completely irrelevant. You don't address anything that I wrote about.

Secondly, the game was released incomplete and was done so on empty promises. No one pays for "potential" unless you're funding a college student. No one should pay premium prices on a non-premium game: no manual; no boxed set, where you have to download the entire game (not a problem with a download manager, but bittorrent sucks); cookie-cutter avatar graphics, no game content, nice terrain simulator the only thing going for it (which the technology was actually taken from vworldpowered.com, although DnL will claim it's from their "mafate" engine...which is actually based off vworldpowered technology), no character customization (everyone's a clone), clunky animations, world lag (not based on the power of your computer), no content, crafting is tedious, etc.

If you want to try and compare it to Ultima Online, think again. UO didn't have the graphic technology at the time to create a MMO, but because it was the first graphical MMO out there worth note it was groundbreaking in its own right. But Farlan/NP3 has no excuse to use such dated graphics on their characters and yet the terrain seems to show a completely different world...and that's because it is! It's not even Farlans technology, that's why the distance might look nice, but your immediate surroundings look like dog-crap. I don't even know how UO came up in your comparison because there is no comparison between the two. UO didn't have any benchmarks to be compared to, but it also wasn't hyped to be the biggest mmorpg, either. Farlan overhyped their game, and maybe the only thing big about it is the game world...but it's as empty as your head if you think it's got the same quality or potential of UO. You're looking at UO in hindsight, but DnL has been in beta/development for 4-5 years...and THIS is what they come up with? A joke!

Well, you pay to play that crap if you wish. It's just in the best interest of everyone to know the truth about that garbage. If you don't believe it, visit DnL's own forums and read it there. Don't take anyone's word for it yourself, but play it if you want and you'll come to the same conclusion. Just don't sugar-coat Farlan/NP3's shortcomings and say they have "potential". Even YOU have potential...the potential to come to your senses.

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

Dark and Light, if it worked perfectly, could top UO for ME in terms of fun.

Uh huh and if my couch grew wings I could fly to work. Both are about as likely to happen so no sense worrying about it.

Right now I'm eyeballing RV. I play Mount & Blade so graphics are no problem. You played it, now that the NDA is gone, any good?

Originally posted by vortigen7

First of all, I have played DnL and SoG, so I'm not just writing crap like most posters. Why would I waste my time to talk about a game I've not experienced first-hand? Besides, your comments in reference to quoting what I'd said are completely irrelevant. You don't address anything that I wrote about.

Just because you played SoG, doesn't mean you have a clue about anything, including DnL or computers in general for that matter. As far as relevance, you said DnL should just quit. I'm saying either you're crazy or just computer illiterate if you think the game is that for gone. I've seen what I've seen.

Secondly, the game was released incomplete and was done so on empty promises. No one pays for "potential" unless you're funding a college student. No one should pay premium prices on a non-premium game: no manual; no boxed set, where you have to download the entire game (not a problem with a download manager, but bittorrent sucks); cookie-cutter avatar graphics, no game content, nice terrain simulator the only thing going for it (which the technology was actually taken from vworldpowered.com, although DnL will claim it's from their "mafate" engine...which is actually based off vworldpowered technology), no character customization (everyone's a clone), clunky animations, world lag (not based on the power of your computer), no content, crafting is tedious, etc.

I never said it was good right now or even worthy of a fee. I'm saying it's not as far gone as you say.

If you want to try and compare it to Ultima Online, think again. UO didn't have the graphic technology at the time to create a MMO, but because it was the first graphical MMO out there worth note it was groundbreaking in its own right. But Farlan/NP3 has no excuse to use such dated graphics on their characters and yet the terrain seems to show a completely different world...and that's because it is! It's not even Farlans technology, that's why the distance might look nice, but your immediate surroundings look like dog-crap. I don't even know how UO came up in your comparison because there is no comparison between the two. UO didn't have any benchmarks to be compared to, but it also wasn't hyped to be the biggest mmorpg, either. Farlan overhyped their game, and maybe the only thing big about it is the game world...but it's as empty as your head if you think it's got the same quality or potential of UO. You're looking at UO in hindsight, but DnL has been in beta/development for 4-5 years...and THIS is what they come up with? A joke!

UO comes up as a comparison because it had no quests, there was pvp and a skill system that was open. The world was vast but pales in comparison to the vastness of DnL. Don't tell me about UO, I played it at launch and for years after.

Well, you pay to play that crap if you wish. It's just in the best interest of everyone to know the truth about that garbage. If you don't believe it, visit DnL's own forums and read it there. Don't take anyone's word for it yourself, but play it if you want and you'll come to the same conclusion. Just don't sugar-coat Farlan/NP3's shortcomings and say they have "potential". Even YOU have potential...the potential to come to your senses.

My refund is being processed as we speak and I have never even recommended anyone buy it unless they want to pay for a beta. I'm saying that you're way over the top with your rantings on it and should take several deep breaths. Lame insults btw.

Originally posted by tetsul

Uh huh and if my couch grew wings I could fly to work. Both are about as likely to happen so no sense worrying about it.
    Right now I'm eyeballing RV. I play Mount & Blade so graphics are no problem. You played it, now that the NDA is gone, any good?

LOL I don't think it's that big a task to fix the few things that are wrong with DnL, certainly shouldn't take longer than a month or a miracle.

RV was kewl, I only betad for a short while. Very skill based which I love. Even walking around gains you skill in athletics. Deep and ultra realistic/harsh crafting system. I hope the graphics get lots better though.

• ZorbaneZorbane Member UncommonPosts: 529

Originally posted by Alouisious

Thats a damn lie. Not only am I in game, I tried to play after the last patch and it forked up even more. Take just one glance at the DNL boards for "the last patch was good" lie. Several posts with the bs forkups. Their patches are simple ametuer practice patches. THey have yet to do one right.

The best one was when Ztyx in all his wisdom opened a thraed called "Great patch" or something and said that the patch was doing great and stuff

Then someone came in and asked "what?? the server is up already?"

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

LOL I don't think it's that big a task to fix the few things that are wrong with DnL, certainly shouldn't take longer than a month or a miracle.
    RV was kewl, I only betad for a short while. Very skill based which I love. Even walking around gains you skill in athletics. Deep and ultra realistic/harsh crafting system. I hope the graphics get lots better though.

It wouldn't be that big of a task to fix the problems if it was done by someone else, but considering that each patch to fix a showstopper bug makes another one (FXP -> Timers -> Transports) I would say they don't stand much of a chance.

Well maybe now that they got some cash coming in the RV team can focus on it full time now instead of surviving on other jobs. If I buy it I can always keep it around and pay when I feel like. Besides, I like to support small dev groups (that don't try to charge $60 for bug testing). I'm more interested in the fighting then crafting, since I can't seem to find much about it beyond "not like other MMORPGs" and "aim at locations".

• lysandinglysanding Member Posts: 154

people don't  seem to understand that it isn't only fixing bugs.. the entire fucken game is flawed from the ground up.  the skill system is completely fucked.. the world is about 100 times too big.. the engine code is flawed and dated...

I am sure if someone gave the actual source code og this game to a professional game studio to review they would say rewrite 80% of it.

its amazing they even got dynamic loading to function right since thats so complicated to do right. unless that was already in the server part of the code that was licensed from bigworld.

• JackdogJackdog Member UncommonPosts: 6,321

I'm saying if the game worked perfectly, yes for ME it could top UO. Have you played it? I find it has a real UO type of vibe. Take your ritalin though.

see my sig, ex wife has better odds

I miss DAoC

• AlouisiousAlouisious Member Posts: 201
    the latest patch wasnt crap. It was mostly server crap supposedly altho I dont see any difference. Seems to me they keep doing patches but the patches are server patches.