Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW sinking in the site ratings

Comments

• shmigshmig Member Posts: 43
    Now only if there wasn't so much downtime while playing Eve. I could finish a novel in the time it takes me to rebuild my ship from choosing the wrong agent mission.

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by shmig
    Now only if there wasn't so much downtime while playing Eve. I could finish a novel in the time it takes me to rebuild my ship from choosing the wrong agent mission.

I wouldn't call that a failing of the game so much. There are no wrong agent missions, but there are plenty of wrong ship fittings for completing them.

When I'm doing agent missions the only real downtime I have is collecting loot cans after finishing them, partly because I'm such a klepto ingame. Travelling is a total of 5 minutes each way and 75% of the rest of the time is doing the actual mission.

You are never REQUIRED to travel in EVE unless you CHOOSE to do trade/courier missions. Some people enjoy them just as some people enjoy mining but both of those activities are entirely OPTIONAL.
  • baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Originally posted by angelofmercy

Eve has no end game: indeed not, hence why you do not get bored of it.

Incorrect.

Eve has no end game: indeed hence why you do not get bored of it.

Not only does it not have an end game, it doesn't have much of a beginning game or a middle game either.

I get very bored of big empty spaces with nothing to do. I quite enjoyed all the mad things people do when they are all online in the same game with nothing to do. But you get that in every MMO.

Eve is not accessable. Take 20 gamers and 19 of them won't want to play Eve. So if you want to enjoy a game with all your friends most likely Eve isn't for you.

Originally posted by baff

Incorrect.

Not only does it not have an end game, it doesn't have much of a beginning game or a middle game either.

I get very bored of big empty spaces with nothing to do. I quite enjoyed all the mad things people do when they are all online in the same game with nothing to do. But you get that in every MMO.

Eve is not accessable. Take 20 gamers and 19 of them won't want to play Eve. So if you want to enjoy a game with all your friends most likely Eve isn't for you.

Or more accurately, 19 out of 20 will never have heard of it.

Well said.

95% of those gamers that have heard of it won't want to play it.

Well said.
    95% of those gamers that have heard of it won't want to play it.

Uh, reading comprehension maybe?

I said 19 of 20 players will have never have heard of it.
  • IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Hence the italics Minsc.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• VulturnusVulturnus Member Posts: 36
    well IMO the fact that WoW has huge numbers playing the game has nothing to do with quality. And the rating chart shows that. IMO DAoC, GW, EVE and such are better games, plain and simple.

Originally posted by IcoGames

Hence the italics Minsc.

Well 95% of 1 would pretty much round to 1, so we've already seen that is not the case, hence his numbers are off.
  • Pride7Pride7 Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by Minsc

Originally posted by Pride7

Originally posted by Precusor

So.. that site gave WoW a 8.5 while mmorpg.com gave it a 8.1

liek omgawd

Not quite as big of a gap as the 7.7 it gives Eve but still #1.  Personally I think the average score of 91.5% is a little more telling.

FYI they gave EVE Online: EXODUS an 89%, but nice try.

I was talking about the 91.5% score for WOW but thanks for helping drive home my point :)

Originally posted by Vulturnus
    well IMO the fact that WoW has huge numbers playing the game has nothing to do with quality. And the rating chart shows that. IMO DAoC, GW, EVE and such are better games, plain and simple.

If you said "the rating chart on this site", rating charts on much larger sites like Gamespot & IGN show WOW to be the #1 MMO.

Originally posted by Gameloading

Originally posted by damian7

FINALLY somebody who answered my question. if you hate WoW so much, then mention a better game to play. well I see this comes out...EVE..a game where time played > all even more then other games, a very bad skill system and s l o w....well, I rest my case.

horizons, eve, ryzom, uo (yes even uo), shadowbane, COx, to just list 6.

but i'm sure everyone has their opinions, and people who can only flame, will flame, because well, they're stupid.

funny thing about that, you're one of the flamers.

haha, your really the right person to say that, aren't you ;)
    oh well, I geuss this proves your not really someone to be taken seriously.
    horizons, eve, ryzom, uo (yes even uo), shadowbane, COx, to just list 6.

but i'm sure everyone has their opinions, and people who can only flame, will flame, because well, they're stupid.

AMEN!  He must have forgotten his childish name calling.  I am still waiting for him to respond with facts but he won't/can't.  He can only call those that use facts names.  Here are my two take aways from this thread before I leave for vacation (Napa Valley here I come!):

Pride7:  WOW has been out over a year.
    damian7:  No it hasn't it's been out 19 months.

damian7: You can't fix stupid.
    Pride7: I agree you can't fix stupid, so please send me your parents phone number so I can talk to them about preventing it in the future.

AMEN!  He must have forgotten his childish name calling.  I am still waiting for him to respond with facts but he won't/can't.  He can only call those that use facts names.  Here are my two take aways from this thread before I leave for vacation (Napa Valley here I come!):

Pride7: I agree you can't fix stupid, so please send me your parents phone number so I can talk to them about preventing it in the future.

If you said "the rating chart on this site", rating charts on much larger sites like Gamespot & IGN show WOW to be the #1 MMO.

Well the game is designed for console kiddies, so that would make sense.

Originally posted by Precusor

So.. that site gave WoW a 8.5 while mmorpg.com gave it a 8.1

liek omgawd

Not quite as big of a gap as the 7.7 it gives Eve but still #1.  Personally I think the average score of 91.5% is a little more telling.

FYI they gave EVE Online: EXODUS an 89%, but nice try.

I was talking about the 91.5% score for WOW but thanks for helping drive home my point :)

OMG 2% higher....that's like SOOOO much...I mean that's a huge difference!!!!111elevenone!1eleventyone!!!
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Incorrect.

you must've hated ultima online before eq came out.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• plucajplucaj Member Posts: 8

I've played uo when it first came out in sept of 1997,  on great lakes server, some of my character names include smokey and omicida and thought it was a great game (I still have some innactive accounts)  EVE-Online is a great game as well with plenty to do if you're in a player run corporation, so your correlation between dissliking uo and liking eq is false.  Granted eve isn't for everyone it's a futuristic space genre,  so if that isn't your niche you won't like it.  However the skill system in eve is well thought out and works well for eve it could use a combination of grinding and time trained skills in order to work out in a typicall mmo.  a word of caution to everyone DON'T BUY DARK AND LIGHT the game seems to be a well thought out scam with a product so poor it could only be a scam (gameboy advanced graphics, with mr. packman type gameplay depth).

you must've hated ultima online before eq came out.

Never played it mate. I wasn't especially online in those days. I played a good many of the other Ultima's. I had a 286 game with Iolo and his horse and Lord British, orange demons and the like. Ultima Underworld springs to mind as the one in the series I enjoyed the most. Can't remember what it was about. I think it was first person. Ultima Online was online only so it wasn't much use to me.

My friend had a copy but he never managed to get it to work or something.

I haven't played EQ either. It sounds like it was the game of it's day.

Planetside was my first MMO.

Originally posted by plucaj

I've played uo when it first came out in sept of 1997,  on great lakes server, some of my character names include smokey and omicida and thought it was a great game (I still have some innactive accounts)  EVE-Online is a great game as well with plenty to do if you're in a player run corporation, so your correlation between dissliking uo and liking eq is false.  Granted eve isn't for everyone it's a futuristic space genre,  so if that isn't your niche you won't like it.  However the skill system in eve is well thought out and works well for eve it could use a combination of grinding and time trained skills in order to work out in a typicall mmo.  a word of caution to everyone DON'T BUY DARK AND LIGHT the game seems to be a well thought out scam with a product so poor it could only be a scam (gameboy advanced graphics, with mr. packman type gameplay depth).

actually, the comment baff made which i was referring to was his "no end game - boring" one (about eve).  uo has no end game.  it was the first popular mmo, followed by eq (which introduced the garbage we know as raiding).  so my correlation was more along the lines of end game vs no end game.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• variusvarius Member Posts: 32

actually, the comment baff made which i was referring to was his "no end game - boring" one (about eve).  uo has no end game.  it was the first popular mmo, followed by eq (which introduced the garbage we know as raiding).  so my correlation was more along the lines of end game vs no end game.

Wrong. UO has endgame. You just expect the game to hand the endgame over to you on a silver platter (ala World of Warcraft). UO was fun because you made your own game. Your endgame could be scouting for IDOC houses, running a vendor, raiding an enemy guild, PKing, Anti PKing, socializing, etc. You just think it doesnt have an endgame because there isn't a button you click on that says "Click here for endgame". Just because UO didnt dumb itself down (at first) to cater to the lazy or unimaginative players that overpopulate the MMO genre these days doesnt mean it has no endgame. You have tons of more fun in UO after maxxing out your skills, whereas in WoW, once you hit 60 the game becomes boring as hell. Now im using WoW as an example im not implying that you're defending WoW or anything vs UO.
  • plucajplucaj Member Posts: 8

Well said varius.  I seem to have made a spelling error in my earlier post, my apologies, it should read EVE as opposed to eq I believe the error is found somewhere in the first few sentences.  Intriguing reply btw damian 7, I couldn't agree more with you in reference to your stance on eq.

Originally posted by varius

Wrong. UO has endgame. You just expect the game to hand the endgame over to you on a silver platter (ala World of Warcraft). UO was fun because you made your own game. Your endgame could be scouting for IDOC houses, running a vendor, raiding an enemy guild, PKing, Anti PKing, socializing, etc. You just think it doesnt have an endgame because there isn't a button you click on that says "Click here for endgame". Just because UO didnt dumb itself down (at first) to cater to the lazy or unimaginative players that overpopulate the MMO genre these days doesnt mean it has no endgame. You have tons of more fun in UO after maxxing out your skills, whereas in WoW, once you hit 60 the game becomes boring as hell. Now im using WoW as an example im not implying that you're defending WoW or anything vs UO.

you explained it like i should've probably thought to explain it.

end game for me means you've hit max level and are now stuck grinding for a bazillion hours, doing the exact same dungeon/boss over and over and over again.

in my mind, a game like uo/eve/pre-cu swg didn't really have an endgame.  you had no max level to reach.  you had to decide what adventure YOU would undertake.  would you slay dragons for a time, then become a killer until you got tired of it and then switch to fishing/treasure hunting?  bounty hunter, then go and fight in the GCW for a time, then just decide to retire to the ranch for a bit and learn droid crafting?  heck, you could play either of those two games, decide you want to be something completely different and then just do it.

but i totally agree with what you're saying.  i just don't consider that to be "end game" because i see those games as more open ended, more dynamic - not dummied down or locking you into X, then Y, then Z, rinse, repeat 500 more times.  when an expansion comes, it's not a "new endgame", it's more content for you to explore and enjoy.

Originally posted by plucaj

Well said varius.  I seem to have made a spelling error in my earlier post, my apologies, it should read EVE as opposed to eq I believe the error is found somewhere in the first few sentences.  Intriguing reply btw damian 7, I couldn't agree more with you in reference to your stance on eq.

in that case, i think we agree on um, how to word it... a more dynamic gaming environment where the players have more input and decisions in how they want THEIR heroic/villainous/mercantile/whatever character to act and live.  <<< THAT is a good thing and lacking in a lot of games, unfortunately.

• DuraheLLDuraheLL Member Posts: 2,951
    Still fun with all these people saying "it's the best and therefore the most hated one too".

I think there are other reasons why WoW ain't number one. Of course most doesn't mean best but logicaly I find EVE the most unique game so far and therefore it deserves a first placement.

Why? Well IMO I'd say to succeed with something the majorities classifies as "difficult" it will take alot from you. They have succeeded and it's an amazing job. It's about as advanced as a game can be and at the same time it does a well job being a MMORPG with a breathing community and so forth.

$OE lies list
    http://www.rlmmo.com/viewtopic.php?t=424&start=0
    "
    And I don't want to hear anything about "I don't believe in vampires" because *I* don't believe in vampires, but I believe in my own two eyes, and what *I* saw is ******* vampires! "

• necbonenecbone Member Posts: 358
    i'm still having lots of fun with wow......its so fun...gettin my 60shammy epic'd out and grinding honor in bg's is fun too...my guild raids every other nite and i really dig it...

the people playing dont care what you haters say about the game, we're obviously enjoying ourselves.... what other game am i going to play? theres nothing better than wow, and its been that way since i was in beta 2yrs ago....

if yur not playing wow right not, yur sleeping and it must suck to play that other shit out there....wow has definitely set the new standard, believe it if you want to

• lsutiglsutig Member UncommonPosts: 92

Well the game is designed for console kiddies, so that would make sense.

heh if anyone actually comes to this site to get info on any MMORPG they are selling themselves short. as you can see by this thread and the 1500 others, this is a site for disgruntled MMORPG'rs not MMORPG players.

while i wouldnt use any site for reviews on MMORPG or opinion polls on online games i certainly wouldnt put this one at the top.