Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW sinking in the site ratings

Comments

• lsutiglsutig Member UncommonPosts: 92

Originally posted by damian7

Originally posted by Pride7

Originally posted by LeGray
    just a thougt: wow caters the casuals - most casuals have something better to do than sit in front of a pc and farm when its warm outside ;) the numbers ARE dropping. maybe not much and only seasonal, but they are dropping. most ppl I know canceled their account and wait for more info about the expansion and if its worth reactivating. depending on the games coming out this fall they'll spend their money on another game (you can call that a trend what I hear in my guild and guilds other ppl I know). btw, good post about the virgins up there ;)
    The only numbers that are dropping are the reviews on this site (which are pretty meaningless).  Saying they are losing numbers as in subscriptions only proves how out of touch and how willing this audience is to accept the facts.

quoting numbers time and again only proves that you either haven't played the game, or you can't articulate an intelligent review of said game so that you can defend how great the game is.

interesting.

the slayer of men comes not boldly in the day; rather it stalks it's prey in the darkness, patiently waiting for the eyes to close and breathing to steady, patiently waiting for it's kill.   book of ezoran chapter 7 verse 2.

what does it matter if he reviews the game or not? it would only be his opinion, just like your obvious hate for the game is only your opinion. the numbers speak for themselves.

take EVE for example a game i dont like, yet it started off small and is growing bigger. i think thats a great thing. i guess if i was you i would feel the need to tell the people playing and apparently enjoying the game they are wrong and stupid.

glad im not you.
  • Pride7Pride7 Member Posts: 289

your fact has what to do exactly with how the game plays?  with how fun it is?

Before you speak you really should do some research...  Let's compare how WOW rates vs. Eve the #1 MMO on this site in FUN,

EVE = 7.7
    WOW = 8.6

Your WOW jealousy has hit a new high, step back from the keyboard sit quietly and take a long hard look at your life.

you sit here and say sales = fun.  how does that make the first bit of sense?  hate, love, neither have ANYTHING to do.  you're making no sense.

feed the lemming well, and watch it consume itself.   --book of Ezoran chapter 26, verse 19

I suppose when the facts are stacked against you I shouldn't be surprised you would resort to flat out lying...  Show me where I said sales = fun?  I didn't I did say and pointed to the FACT that WOW is rated higher in the FUN category than the #1 ranked MMO on these boards - Eve.

All joking aside I really think you should question why you have such a hard time with WOW's continued success. 

Don't feed the troll that isn't smart enough to know WOW has grow each month since launch.
    lemming.  post something of substance to support your argument about why a game is good/bad.  only people with stock in a company should use subs/boxes sold as an argument for "mah game eez betta than j00r gam".

great game, has XYZ pros.   sucky game has ABC cons. 

so i can say, american idol gets more votes every season, wowzers batman, they must be the bestest show of all time, just look at the numbers.

if the growing votes doesn't equate bestest show ever, then your statement makes as much sense as supporting "this is why a game is good".

take your sign, sit down.

Post something of substance?  That is ironic seeing as you can never post any facts.  Come to the harsh reality that WOW is the #1 rated MMO on the market.  Actually it is #3 of all games according to Gamespot (http://www.gamespot.com/misc/top100_score.html). 

I am afraid I have some more facts...

On Gamespot WOW is the #1 MMO with 26k reviews, that dwarfs the 6k on this site now doesn't it :)

As for the "here is your sign comment" that is rich coming from the guy that didn't know  Over 1 year and 19 months were the same thing! LOL

still a lemming with nothing to say.

you HONESTLY don't see the difference between saying "a little over a year" and "19 months", do you?  you're that asinine? 

game putting out a new expansion in over a year (13 months), hey, normalcy there.  game putting out an expansion around the two year mark (19 months + 4 or 5 more), not quite normal, jacked up.

but you don't have the intelligence to understand that AFTER i stated that a few times?

wow.  but you're right, whatever, go on being a brilliant asshat.

do not hesitate to kick the heathen in the groin whilst they falter, looking for others to hold them up as their lack of logic destroys them inwardly.   --book of Alana  chapter 36 verse 2

You have 0 facts to support any of your theories, I provide fact after fact to support what I say yet I am the lemming?  LOL

I suppose I should expect childish name calling from someone that has no support to back up their argument.  Also there you go lying again I said "over a year" I never said "a little over a year", 19 months and over a year are the same thing (I fear what your SAT scores were if you don't know that).

Originally posted by LeGray
    just a thougt: wow caters the casuals - most casuals have something better to do than sit in front of a pc and farm when its warm outside ;) the numbers ARE dropping. maybe not much and only seasonal, but they are dropping. most ppl I know canceled their account and wait for more info about the expansion and if its worth reactivating. depending on the games coming out this fall they'll spend their money on another game (you can call that a trend what I hear in my guild and guilds other ppl I know). btw, good post about the virgins up there ;)
    The only numbers that are dropping are the reviews on this site (which are pretty meaningless).  Saying they are losing numbers as in subscriptions only proves how out of touch and how willing this audience is to accept the facts.

quoting numbers time and again only proves that you either haven't played the game, or you can't articulate an intelligent review of said game so that you can defend how great the game is.

interesting.

the slayer of men comes not boldly in the day; rather it stalks it's prey in the darkness, patiently waiting for the eyes to close and breathing to steady, patiently waiting for it's kill.   book of ezoran chapter 7 verse 2.

How dare I quote facts!  You are right I should just make up my own theories, throw in a lie or two, call some childish names and develop a hatred so deep that the reality of the world is meaningless in my own virtual kingdom.

By the way, if you look back you will see I said I played two characters to 60 in WOW and stopped playing.  Just because I stopped playing doesn't take away from the fact that it was an outstanding game.  Hopefully one day you will acheive a better level of clarity to understand that.

• nmalthusnmalthus Member CommonPosts: 98

Originally posted by gnomexxx
    Could it be that people are finally beginning to come to their senses?

I am amazed that it actually took as long as it did for WoW's rating to start to fall.  I guess it was some peoples first MMO though.  So they didn't know any better.  Myself included. 

Thank God I had some friends that showed me other MMO's so I could experience the real fun of online gaming. 

Take Dark & Light, it's so horrible it won't be able to sink in ratings. WoW's still a hot game though it's been out near 2 years now and less people are playing and are waiting until the expansion comes out which will no doubt renew interest in the game for a lot of people.
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by lsutig

what does it matter if he reviews the game or not? it would only be his opinion, just like your obvious hate for the game is only your opinion. the numbers speak for themselves.

take EVE for example a game i dont like, yet it started off small and is growing bigger. i think thats a great thing. i guess if i was you i would feel the need to tell the people playing and apparently enjoying the game they are wrong and stupid.

glad im not you.

does he play and enjoy the game?  or does he just sit there and quote "oh it's got the biggest numbers so it's the best".   if he plays and enjoys the game, shouldn't he INSTEAD speak to it's great points?

stupid people are stupid.  oh i can't think of a reason this game is great, so imma quote it's sales.  that's stupid.  if you love a game, and you feel the need to express your opinion on it in a thread, then DO SO.  don't sit there and say something so incredibly stupid as "oh it's got the most sales THAT MEANS IT'S THE BEST".

if anyone can't understand why doing that,  vice actually reviewing the game or pointing out it's good points, is asinine; then, i guess that person also is a retard.

but just to point out for about the 20th time why that thinking is STUPID.   that is EXACTLY the same as saying "5 billion chinese worship buddha, that's more than any religion in the world, that means it's the best religion" INSTEAD of pointing out what makes that religion so good.   THAT is what i'm talking about. 

enjoy the game, hate the game, who cares. but have an opinion on it.  don't quote some numbers and act like those numbers mean a damned thing other than "yes it's sold a lot". because that is ALL sales numbers mean.

if you argue otherwise, then tell me why worshipping buddha is NOT something everyone should do all their lilves, it's got the most adherents in the world.  you can add up all the other religions' worshippers together and you won't even come close to this religions' numbers.

that is the same no-logic-having argument that you are defending.

does that make you brilliant?  smart? a retard?

do you like the game? do you hate it?  hell if i know, why don't you point out some more sales figures, because i know when i'm playing a game i sit there and go, "hey, i could probably kill this ogre if only the game would sell about 500 more copies..."

one hand does not always know what the other hand does.  chop off one hand and then you will not have this problem.  - book of Ezoran chapter 53 verse 16

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

How dare I quote facts!  You are right I should just make up my own theories, throw in a lie or two, call some childish names and develop a hatred so deep that the reality of the world is meaningless in my own virtual kingdom.

By the way, if you look back you will see I said I played two characters to 60 in WOW and stopped playing.  Just because I stopped playing doesn't take away from the fact that it was an outstanding game.  Hopefully one day you will acheive a better level of clarity to understand that.

then what made it an outstanding game?  you played two characters to 60.  was it because it sold millions of boxes and had millions of subs?  is THAT what made it an outstanding game?

because THAT is what you're arguing and saying.  oh wait, is that me putting words in your mouth?  i think it's me reading post after post by YOU and all you say is "most sales, most subs, great game".

but hey, you can't fix stupid.

fish must be in water.  sharks must be on the move. put them on land and they all die.   -book of Ezoran chapter 23 verse 17

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Or that I recognise that a personal view of the game is subjective and hence am not so intrested in them.

Or even that "defending the game" is not the reason any one here is making posts.

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

Originally posted by mistermask
    I think it comes from the fact the game is fun from level1to 60, and then it gets boring, as you need to do the same things again and again for months

Can't speak for anyone else, but I had more fun after I hit 60.
  • duncan1745duncan1745 Member Posts: 9

Death at 60 and ruin of war.

I loved wow. I became a guild master of over 150 people. The moment I turned 60 it all went downhill. I've done everything but to do groupings with others to get into dungeons. OR THE WORSE PART - Playing in the battlegrounds - FLAG. OMG, two times I was bored with it.  Sigh. I have created alts but all seems rehashed. Done that, been there.

When the game first begin, we attacked regions and horde groups surprised us in attacked inside our towns. We did raids and the horde responded immediately.  Now, there are no constant little battle ground fightings. Rarely are there sneak attacks of large groups upon alliance cities.  We had creted a whole world defense network. When an area was attacked, we responded. That's all but over now.

AND ANOTHER GUILD KILLER:  With the Raid Dungeon - prizes, Guilds have been created solely to gather 60 levels to collect all the good drops.  Everytime a person hits 60 in their family guild, they leave and join one of these groups.  The regular RP guilds are now just a growing field for the 60's that after we've helped them, tended to them, guided them, they just leave for the great drops of armor and weapons. 

It has destroyed the RP in so many of our groups. We no longer have the big horde attacks at anytime. Our 60's leave us for 60 only raid groups. There are no more lands. Only battlefields are the Flag and tag you're it kind of battlefields.

And now this new expansion - way tooooo late and too little.  The characters look even more cartoonish.  Too little too late.

It's a great game until 60, less great with the launching of flag battlegrounds. 

• PhusPhus Member UncommonPosts: 40

I share many of the same sentiments. Playing on a PVP server for the entirety of my stay in Wow was always an aspect of the "wartime feel" that I've enjoyed, mostly before I had a 60 (or two). That constant paranoia of maybe there's a Smurf-rogue right behind me just waiting for me to tag some mob so they'd get an easy kill.

Very fun.

But as progression is demanding, gear becomes a necessity. You find these huge guilds, people stuck in with eachother not out of a sense of comradery, grinding these huge dungeons for the soul purpose to fuel their need for better gear, which in turn provides them more firepower to kill people/mobs/whatever.

The main concept we lack here is substance. Obviously when leveling, one should be at least mildy excited to take part in any kind of interaction within the world of warcraft, be it from just mere quests to getting rid of a few pesky opposing faction players killing the same mobs as you. But what Bliz messed up on, in my opinion, is the ability to keep the player interested in actually playing his/her character, reguardless of the server type, instead of making it a grind to get the best gear to kill as efficiently as possible. War is brutal, yes, and acknowledgement of it being part of the name of the game is clear, but war is interesting and complex; not taking one flag from one base to another. Given the trend in how many WoW players are leaving for other games, it would not surprise me if the expansion doesn't do as well as Bliz expects it to.

As for BGs, if I wanted to play capture the flag or an assault-like game I'd play a fps.

• niccoli00niccoli00 Member Posts: 98
    I hit 60 in WoW.  Went something like this:

DING 60!!

WOot! Gratz! etc.

me: Now what?

Did a raid or two, realized, I could do this over and over.  (yay MORE grinding)
    I could go out an PK people, been doing that all the way to 60, probably had more fun pre-60.
    Battlegrounds FINALLY came out, I was already bored with the game, found that they weren't that exciting.

Quit WoW, haven't been back.

The problem with all the MMOs now a days seems to be 'grind like hell to get to max level', then 'grind like hell forever to get the 'best' gear'. 

Grind != Fun (for me)

Niccoli

• rockin_uforockin_ufo Member UncommonPosts: 378

WoW is a good game but its need to come out with a WoW4 its jsut gettin to old

Whenever i step outside, somebody claims to see the light
    It seems to me that all of us have lost our patience.
    'cause everyone thinks they're right,
    And nobody thinks that there just might
    Be more than one road to our final destination--

• jmoreejmoree Member Posts: 30

I think the only downfall to WOW is a lack of depth. The game is quite fun for awhile but gets old pretty quick. The reason why I think you see a lot of people hating on WOW is that when a game like this is so sucessful it's going to create a lot of copy cats ( ala reality TV ) and we are going to be given less of a selection for more in depth games ( FFXI, EQ2 ). Don't get me wrong I like all the above mentioned games but when one becomes such a run away sucess everyone else copies and you lose variety but thats just my opinion and we all know opinions are like a holes everyones got one :)

"Get busy living or get busy dieing"   Shawshank Redemtion

then what made it an outstanding game?  you played two characters to 60.  was it because it sold millions of boxes and had millions of subs?  is THAT what made it an outstanding game?

because THAT is what you're arguing and saying.  oh wait, is that me putting words in your mouth?  i think it's me reading post after post by YOU and all you say is "most sales, most subs, great game".

fish must be in water.  sharks must be on the move. put them on land and they all die.   -book of Ezoran chapter 23 verse 17

Poor damian continues to broadcast his ignorance with little to add to this thread.  Brush up on your reading comprehension skills as I never said it was a great game because it sold a lot of copies, although being #1 in sales, subs, and reviews does attest to the fact that it must be pretty darn good.  

If you want to know why it is #1 go read one of the dozens of glowing reviews for it on Gamerankings.com, afterall it is the #1 rated/reviewed game so it shouldn't be that hard to find.  I would give you my reasons why I think it is a good game but I don't think we'd agree on what makes up a good game seeing as I don't find the need to resort to belittling others religious beliefs when I have no facts to support my misguided opinions.

By the way you certainly ask a lot of questions for someone that continues to ignore requests to back up previous statements such as "WOW can't keep subs".

PS. I completely agree with your statement "you can't fix stupid", along those same lines can I have the number for your folks?  I would like to discuss with them the options they have for preventing it to begin with.  Thanks!

• PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

If you want to know why it is #1 go read one of the dozens of glowing reviews for it on Gamerankings.com, afterall it is the #1 rated/reviewed game so it shouldn't be that hard to find. 

I checked that web site out.. and i couldnt even find WoW on its main page

Lol

Originally posted by Precusor

If you want to know why it is #1 go read one of the dozens of glowing reviews for it on Gamerankings.com, afterall it is the #1 rated/reviewed game so it shouldn't be that hard to find. 

I checked that web site out.. and i couldnt even find WoW on its main page

Lol

There are no PC MMO's on it's main page, did you not see it, get confused and quit?  Here is a link to the filter page, you have to filter by PC then RPG: MMO:

http://www.gamerankings.com/itemrankings/simpleratings.asp

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

afterall it is the #1 rated/reviewed game

I hadn't seen that website before, but according to the website its nowhere the #1 rated or reviewed game. If you mean #1 rated or reviewed mmo then that is something different.

Originally posted by nomadian

I hadn't seen that website before, but according to the website its nowhere the #1 rated or reviewed game. If you mean #1 rated or reviewed mmo then that is something different.

I do and stated so in a previous post.  By the way for those unfamiliar with GameRankings.com it takes all the ratings/reviews from sites such as Gamespot and magazines like Computer Gaming Monthly and PC Gamer and gives it one overall score. 
  • PrecusorPrecusor Member UncommonPosts: 3,589

So.. that site gave WoW a 8.5 while mmorpg.com gave it a 8.1

liek omgawd

Originally posted by Precusor

So.. that site gave WoW a 8.5 while mmorpg.com gave it a 8.1

liek omgawd

Not quite as big of a gap as the 7.7 it gives Eve but still #1.  Personally I think the average score of 91.5% is a little more telling.
  • boognish75boognish75 Member UncommonPosts: 1,540
    I play wow..once in a gr8 while,..only if my friends r on it, i cant feel immersed in it, as it just doesnt have any real feel to it to me anyway, its fun for awhile, but i tire of it because like i said i cant get ''into'' it, it might be the toony chars and everything is sooo...baloony? Or it may bne the storyline or lack of it,...i am not trying to put it down but i have to say eq2 makes me feel in there world as it has a more real look to it, and the story lines branch out and taker you all over, i think that is a more mature game for older people and wow is for teens and adolescents...all this is just my opinion though...but thats how i feel.

playing eq2 and two worlds

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by nomadian

I do and stated so in a previous post.  By the way for those unfamiliar with GameRankings.com it takes all the ratings/reviews from sites such as Gamespot and magazines like Computer Gaming Monthly and PC Gamer and gives it one overall score. 

C'mon Pride.  Please.  I tried to explain this to you before.

Game review sites are there to make money.  They write reviews that are geared towards the general public.  The majority if you will.  So, if they think that a game is going to appeal to a large number of players then they're going to give it a good score.  It just makes sense, because that way more people are pleased with their reviews which means more people will keep coming back.

Let's say that a game came out that had no real artistic value to, no new ideas, no new gameplay, or not even any new ideas on an interface.  But it took everything and dumbed it down so that anyone could figure it out.  Most people are going to like that game.  But that doesn't mean it's better than a game that has lot's of thought and complex planning behind it. 

Now if a game site says that the new game sucks yet the general public goes and plays it and finds out they like their dumbed down game then they're going to think that review site sucks.  And if they keep it up with game after game then people are going to quit coming back to that site.

The people who come to this site are different than the average game player.  We have a lot more experience wtih MMO's on average.  We expect more from an MMO.  And that's the reason the WoW score is beginning to fall. 

DAoC is still up on the charts.  And right now FFXI is up there.  I saw AO pop up there for a little while.  All those games came out long before WoW.  They are just better games though.  They have more lifetime to them for true MMO players.

That's what this discussion is geared towards.  The people at this site and our decisions in our ranking of WoW on the charts. 

If you want to discuss the general public's perception of the game then why not start a different thread specific to that.  Or go to a forum like IGE where there are gamers and MMO players from all experiences of playing. 

I just feel like the members at this site of a higher caliber when it comes to ranking MMO's. 

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

Not quite as big of a gap as the 7.7 it gives Eve but still #1. Personally I think the average score of 91.5% is a little more telling.
    I'm skeptical because Eve Online I believe is a very good game, one which has attracted people by word of mouth. But its one that doesn't appeal to everyone and this is an important point. People who aren't interested in that type of game will give it low rankings, whereby a game like WoW which is universally appealling will get an average of higher rankings. Additionally, looking at the rankings by magazines this shows the same thing. For example, gamespot give Eve Online 66%, thats one reviewer. Now take the ranking here, and its rating by a lot more people is higher. Now was that 66% a good rating if a lot of users are ranking it a lot higher?

At the end of the day its all about taste. If you have a number of quality cheeses, the mild one which a lot of tasters to the cheese may like and a strong cheese which not so many like but nevertheless gains its fans, you can't say the mild cheese is better. The only thing you can say is that the mild cheese is liked more. WoW maybe widely liked as a mild cheese, but Eve Online maybe also a good cheese but just isn't liked by so many.

• baconBiTzbaconBiTz Member Posts: 2
    its not surprising to me that WoW is losing rating. Its a gateway drug, it leads to other MMOs. WoW is the marijuana of MMOs..not very strong, gets boring quick. Then u get to the really awesome drugs like L2, DAOC, etc etc. actually those are probably the only two ;'(

WoW is too lame imo, its like a side game. I like games where players have total control of the game, like in Lineage 2. Where you can kill any1 you want, meaning that you choose ur enemies, not the game chooses them for u, and i fkn hate BoE and BoP.....there simply be no such thing! WoW is a thumbs down.

!!!