Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A guess at Bioware's new MMOG

WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

Looks like the Jedi are going to sit this one out.

Here's why: http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/positions/austin_writer.html

Quote: "Examples of the style of game dialogue that we are looking for: Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights."

So my guess is one of the 3:

1) Baldur's Gate

2) Planescape Torment

3) Neverwinter Nights

You wouldn't look for a fantasy writer if you were making a SciFi game.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

Comments

• njmbergernjmberger Member Posts: 19
    Not sure I agree with you there. I do indeed hope that Bioware is making a SW MMORPG, but I do realize it may very well stay a dream of mine  I also believe that Bioware's mmo might very well be fantasy-related (e.g. NWN). I have only dreams (not dry ones ), but no illusions it will be Star Wars related. I just don't agree with your argument.

To me Star Wars is a fantasy consept, not a science fiction consept. Granted that they have space ships and laser weapons. But it is based upon fantasy principles. Good vs evil. It is set "a long time ago". They have knights and "magicians" (both jedi knights). Kings and Emperors. Several different races. Sure there's no dwarves or elves, but that is (to me) only one way of portraying a fantasy consept (which would be based on Tolkien and D&D, and European fairy tales). To me sci-fi is more about how the future looks. How the human society evolved. EVE is a good example of sci-fi.

So, if a gaming company were to make a SW MMORPG, it would (at least to me) make perfect sense to hire professionals that have experience in fantasy games. Coz that is the framework to work within. Fantasy.

(Sure for some parts, like space travel one could use people with experience with sci-fi or possibly Wing Commander-type games, but for the most part).

• yourname00yourname00 Member Posts: 5
    What we really need is for a big company like Bioware to do a totally different style of MMO, everything is too similar nowadays.
    Hmm... After doing some thinking, I do not believe it will be based on either Baldur's gate nor Neverwinter Nights. This I believe coz they are based on Dungeons and Dragons. And there already is a D&D MMO. I don't think Bioware will change the basics of these games to not fit inside a D&D framework. And I do not believe another D&D MMO will emerge so close to the release of DDO.
  • Anthony1991Anthony1991 Member Posts: 1
    I am a Bioware fan started me in with Baldurs Gate 1 and 2 than icewind dale. Baldurs gate is still widly playd but long since dead. There are small rumors of a bg3 but were shot down moments after comeing to the public. So I doubt there will ever be a Baldurs Gate 3 tho I wish it so

Unknown Factor in Life

• ghettochildeghettochilde Member Posts: 50

Originally posted by Wickersham

Here's why: http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/positions/austin_writer.html
    Quote: "Examples of the style of game dialogue that we are looking for: Baldur's Gate 2, Planescape Torment, Neverwinter Nights."
    1) Baldur's Gate
    2) Planescape Torment
    3) Neverwinter Nights

The first thing that makes me think is that it will not be one of those 3, because if it was they wouldnt have given it away by naming it

The desire for fantasy based writing doesnt rule anything out, though admittedly it does lean away from SW, just because if that were the case, they would probably want a mix of fantasy and sci fi.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

My guess is fantasy as well, but only because they say it was STORY-driven and they where extremely enthusiast about it.

I pretty much doubt they would have shown such enthusiasm with Lucas Art and the 937843943 changes they made to KOTOR 2, this leave marks on the goodwill of any team.  I also doubt that they would be alone in this, so their natural partner left is: Wizard of the Coast.  The results of DDO just give more credit to this speculation, since WotC will want to launch back the D&D franchises ASAP...and BioWare is the natural choice, folks at BioWare understand what D&D is more than WotC, especially when it come to computer D&D games legacy.

The game will prolly starts in FR or DL, I think WotC will want to get BioWare as happy and as motivated as possible and leave them the choice of the world and I think BioWare would naturally pick FR or, for some reasons, I always think they would have love to try the DragonLance...but on that I have no proof, it is only a feeling, such silly things you can't explain.  (eh, many persons at BioWare must be fans of SSI like me)

I don't think it will be Neverwinter, the game is nice, but saddly it was not reaching the fans enough, a brand new title would prolly be better.  It could be BG.

Torment is more the stuff of expansions than the stuff of a start IMO.  I would not rule out Torment, but I see it far more in an expansion as a mean to travel among world (and Eberron eventually) than as a starting setting, Torment has content for higher levels characters much more easily than others.

But all this is speculation, it might be Fallout, Star Wars or even in GreyHawk despite all my guess and logical deductions.  Heck, WotC could have requested Eberron, I would disagree with them doing this, but it would make sense from their perspective, rather than from a succesful game perspective.  Forgotten Realms is the leading game world of D&D and DragonLance is the second most favored...FR make perfect sense on every level, while DL make sense on the 'candy' level, as a reward for the developper, allowing them to pick that world if they really want to...still, FR is far more likely for various reasons.  In the gaming cycle, there is a time when you have to do everything to maximised the current product and a time to try stuff...Eberron is trying...and now is the time for a STRONG release...it would make no sense to keep forcing the Eberron road on the game potential results, FR made a lot of sense and DL would be a good second choice...anyway, this is merely my opinion and speculations.   Have no doubts, Eberron will prolly come back, AFTER this game and most likely in the expansions if the game is successful enough.  And guess what...it is BioWare making a MMO, so the game WILL be successfull (unless they stop doing what they do and they try to copy Blizzard, in which case I would cry and they would fail...but I trust them enough to developp what they do further rather than lazily copy their neighbor...this is not a copying company anyway).

It could also be a Magic The Gathering MMO or something among those lines...I dunno if it would be successful and if the MMO market wants that, but it is something quite possible as well.  FR would be a LOT better than that, but *shrug*, nobody can stop WotC from daydreaming and who know, maybe it could work...I would rather go on the safer FR road however! 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• MordothMordoth Member UncommonPosts: 65

If they did Planescape Torment, I would be absolutely the happiest man alive.  That is one of my all time favorite computer games.

Wished I had the NVN stuff needed to make a writing submission.  I have a writing degree and tons of gaming experience, but nada for using that kinda stuff.  Would love to go to work for them.

• Gen00bGen00b Member Posts: 5
    I still hope it's a sci-fi game. Their Xbox 360 game Mass Effect looks very promising, so I'm hoping they're making an MMO based on that game.

• royalpenaltyroyalpenalty Member Posts: 312
    many ppl consider sci-fi to be a sub-genre of fantasy.

SWG ADDICT...clean since the NGE

• cryptologiccryptologic Member Posts: 8
    I wonder if Bioware could do a NWN based MMO since Turbine has the rights for DDO. I would imagine Turbine got some exclusivity when the got the liecense for DDO.

Originally posted by cryptologic
    I wonder if Bioware could do a NWN based MMO since Turbine has the rights for DDO. I would imagine Turbine got some exclusivity when the got the liecense for DDO.

My point exactly!

I still dream about it being a KOTOR-based SW-related MMORPG (I never shorten it to MMO, as the RPG is of some importance to me).

Indeed I agree with those of you who feel that there are to many traditional fantasy-based mmorpgs out there. If BioWare choose to do base it on fantasy, it has to be exeptional to have any chance of at least some sort og success. I know BioWare is upto it though. But they must see that as well. Most mmorpgs are fantasy, and if they want to be noticed in the mmorpg jungle they have to do something to stand out.

But I have absolutely no knowledge whatsoever about the answer. I do have one wish. I want to know as soon as absolutely possible. Or infact sooner than that (though I know that might be asking a bit too much). I very much enjoy BioWares games, and I am certain I will enjoy the MMORPG they release. But I will enjoy it most of all if it is a KOTOR-based game.
  • ColaCola Member Posts: 402

It will be

UNDERWORLD

• kain-iiikain-iii Member Posts: 146

Underworld would be kinda cool.

I extremely enjoyed the movies.

U do have the vampires vs the lycans. (Factions)

Would be different from the other MMO's as it is present day.

Would be very interesting.

However...

I very much enjoyed the original SWG so am praying that Bioware will take the game back to it's roots, Pre-CU with the best of CU and only the quests from NGE.

• naldricnaldric Member UncommonPosts: 909

Originally posted by Cola

It will be
    UNDERWORLD

I dont think they would take such a bad and little background IP for a MMO when they can have White Wolf's Storyteller IP that still nobody used for a MMO (you can check the pen and paper games at www.white-wolf.com ), it got such a great world, and Underworld was almost a rip off it...

And guys, stop dreaming about a Bioware SW MMO (and i would love it to be true ...), since SOE's license of SW for a MMORPG is exclusive.

• WickershamWickersham Member UncommonPosts: 2,379

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/positions/austin_lead_world_designer.html

"Familiarity with fantasy role-playing games is a must."

I'm telling you it's gonna be a fantasy based MMORPG. 

Although, i'd take anything Skill based, Sand-box, and non FPS.

"The liberties and resulting economic prosperity that YOU take for granted were granted by those "dead guys"

http://www.bioware.com/bioware_info/jobs/positions/austin_lead_world_designer.html
     "Familiarity with fantasy role-playing games is a must."
    I'm telling you it's gonna be a fantasy based MMORPG. 
    Although, i'd take anything Skill based, Sand-box, and non FPS.

Sand-box, skill based, and non-FPS... Could not have said it better myself  I have stated this before, and I am more than willing to state this again. I do have wet dreams about a KoTOR-based MMORPG. I know it is a long shot, with soe having SW rights etc. But I dream of this. Fantasy works as well, if it is done right. BioWare should be careful though, if they choose fantasy (which there is much evidence pointing at them doing) as there are a huge number of fantasy MMORPG's out there.I also very much liked the storyteller system as a pen and paper game. If BioWare were to involve themselves into a Storyteller MMORPG, I would indeed be very happy.

To conclude, whatever they choose to do, I am sure it will be great. But it should be, it ougth to be, and as a minimum I hope it is (to qoute the qoute above):"Skill based, Sand-box, and non FPS"
  • cryptologiccryptologic Member Posts: 8
    What would be really great (at least I think), is if Bioware would have optional PW servers for NWN2. I loved playing NWN online, but if the guy running the server deciedes to take it down you were out of luck. Just my two cents.

Crypto

• RedFlameRedFlame Member Posts: 21
    I hope its something totally unique, but BioWare has a legendary reputation, so I think all will be well. I'm hoping its a fantasy as opposed to sci-fi, we're lacking in fantasy games with actual content.

http://reviewmmo.blogspot.com Where I review any and all MMO's. Takes more then fancy graphics to impress me.

• DeserttFoxxDeserttFoxx Member UncommonPosts: 2,402
    Bioware did a pimp job with Knights of the old republic, i would give anything they make a solid try.

Quotations Those Who make peaceful resolutions impossible, make violent resolutions inevitable. John F. Kennedy

Life... is the shit that happens while you wait for moments that never come - Lester Freeman

Lie to no one. If there 's somebody close to you, you'll ruin it with a lie. If they're a stranger, who the fuck are they you gotta lie to them? - Willy Nelson

• BaltherBalther Member Posts: 1

I dream of Bioware doing Fallout online, if someone can pull it off it would be them.

• HakikoHakiko Member Posts: 103
    Bioware has been moving towards using their own IPs over the last few
    years. They also have an unsued fantasy IP that can be seen on their
    website. A game has been listed in development for this for a long time
    with no new news.

I for one would love to see a Jade Empire MMO.

• bigfish26101bigfish26101 Member Posts: 4
    I heard it was going to be a Babylon 5 based game and am surprised that nothing is mentioned of that here.  Perhaps I heard wrong wherever it was I read that....
  • GunnyFisherGunnyFisher Member Posts: 65

Originally posted by bigfish26101
    I heard it was going to be a Babylon 5 based game and am surprised that nothing is mentioned of that here.  Perhaps I heard wrong wherever it was I read that....
    That woudl be rather cool actually

Have faith in God, believe in antimatter.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125

1) Baldur's Gate
    2) Planescape Torment
    3) Neverwinter Nights

Out of all the games BioWare has made what is one of the “single” most successful games the have made? KOTOR. The other concepts ( Jade Empire, Dragon Age, Mass Effect) I’ve seen people come up with are not even out yet or have not been out long enough to warrant basing an MMO off of. As for Baldur’s Gate I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again. “You can rule Baldur's Gate out. There is already a D&D MMO and it is far to new for Wizards to jump ship on it. “
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• mickstaggermickstagger Member Posts: 8
    Imagine, Baldurs Gate MMO....i bet that would be a cool MMO. I know id give it a whirl as long as they did it right. Nothing worse then taking something grea t a making a mess of it. SOE knows alot about that, hopefully Bio will heed the mistakes of some of these companies like EA, SOE, etc that continual trash good games or good names.