Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW sinking in the site ratings

Comments

• Pride7Pride7 Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by Zythyl
    I think it is about time that people identify WoW as an ultimate n00b fest. Face it - the game is designed for those virgins of the MMORPG industry, and, it was designed BY the virgins of the MMORPG industry. Go figure.

Let WoW die. It's dying, don't save it, it would be a waste of your time.

Don't feed the troll that isn't smart enough to know WOW has grow each month since launch.
  • paravionparavion Member Posts: 422

Originally posted by Pride7

Originally posted by Zythyl
    I think it is about time that people identify WoW as an ultimate n00b fest. Face it - the game is designed for those virgins of the MMORPG industry, and, it was designed BY the virgins of the MMORPG industry. Go figure.

Let WoW die. It's dying, don't save it, it would be a waste of your time.

Don't feed the troll that isn't smart enough to know WOW has grow each month since launch.

Wow isn't good enough as ppl find out the truth...admit it buddy. don't deny it.
  • ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008
    as much as I like mmorpg.com... its ratings are not the end all be all for a game.

And no matter how much people try to derail WoW, the facts remain the same.   It is the most popular mmorpg.

• ikraikra Member Posts: 339
    wow doesnt deserve to be in the top 5 places.... its just a horrible game which luckily got a whole fanbase of mmorpg virgins

i~ku~ra

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

Originally posted by paravion

Wow isn't good enough as ppl find out the truth...admit it buddy. don't deny it.

Paravion, I'd agree with you if the game was still young. WoW's been in release for almost two years now, and I've never seen a subscription curve like it. Sure, you can account for new markets, however I think if WoW was that bad the rate of new subscribers would've been mitigated.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• wuxxwuxx Member Posts: 3

WoW is a great game. Its sooo fun!!!

• Murtagh21Murtagh21 Member Posts: 13
    I got WoW after it came out quit 2 months ago game is fun at first, but after the constant item grinding. Its crap and the reason the subscription keeps goin up is like what upallnights quote said its a virgin game for vigin mmorpg players. WOW is very possible the worst mmorpg that is and ever will be made.

I wish my grass was emo...

• C.L.O.U.DC.L.O.U.D Member UncommonPosts: 365
    I dont get why everyone thinks its a bad game becuase its really hard to keep up with all the players expectations and blizzard does a good job of that. You all complain about this game and say its the worst ever, but ikno you have all heard this thousands of times but it cant be all that bad with so many players. You all need to lower your expectations of a GAME. I mean setting expectations high is a good thing but not in games. Developers can only do so much. No game is perfect out there and i see flaming for every game out there. If you all dont like these games so much why dont you just quit mmos and go play some single player RPG's or make your own mmo with what you like, then you can say my mmo is da best there is and then others will come allong and say it sux and flame that too. So stop making these random post about how bad WoW sucks, cause those who do like it dont really give and shit and others who hate WoW dont really give a shit either. Everyone who post's about how it sucks is insecure and needs approval of others so that they can feel good.

• reavoreavo Member Posts: 2,173

Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D
    I dont get why everyone thinks its a bad game becuase its really hard to keep up with all the players expectations and blizzard does a good job of that. You all complain about this game and say its the worst ever, but ikno you have all heard this thousands of times but it cant be all that bad with so many players. You all need to lower your expectations of a GAME. I mean setting expectations high is a good thing but not in games. Developers can only do so much. No game is perfect out there and i see flaming for every game out there. If you all dont like these games so much why dont you just quit mmos and go play some single player RPG's or make your own mmo with what you like, then you can say my mmo is da best there is and then others will come allong and say it sux and flame that too. So stop making these random post about how bad WoW sucks, cause those who do like it dont really give and shit and others who hate WoW dont really give a shit either. Everyone who post's about how it sucks is insecure and needs approval of others so that they can feel good.

Insecure?  You mean like people who put banners in their bottom sig showing what they play and what video card they use?  What, are you seeking approval of others by doing that?

This is just people in a public forum expressing themselves.
    ok dude nice try at a comback...not that you needed to really comment back to me seeing this had nothing to do with you. But i dont have those there cause im insecure idk where that came from but i have them there to let people know that im a fan of WoW and FF series. I didnt say which card i use i only have the nividia company logo there,and that i like to use TS in game, incase others play too then they can talk to me if they want. If i was seeking the approval of others i would have said "o what do you think of my banners". You say this is a forum for expressing ourselves, well the post you commented about was an expression. so idk why your here trying to flame my post when you really arnt involved at all in this topic. All you did was get the subject off topic. so plz next time you try to flame somone make sure you know what your talking about.

Originally posted by C.L.O.U.D
    ok dude nice try at a comback...not that you needed to really comment back to me seeing this had nothing to do with you. But i dont have those there cause im insecure idk where that came from but i have them there to let people know that im a fan of WoW and FF series. I didnt say which card i use i only have the nividia company logo there,and that i like to use TS in game, incase others play too then they can talk to me if they want. If i was seeking the approval of others i would have said "o what do you think of my banners". You say this is a forum for expressing ourselves, well the post you commented about was an expression. so idk why your here trying to flame my post when you really arnt involved at all in this topic. All you did was get the subject off topic. so plz next time you try to flame somone make sure you know what your talking about.

I wasn't flaming anyone.  Don't be so sensitive that you read into something and see what's not there.

Go back and read what I wrote.  I was defending people discussing their likes and dislikes on these boards.  I think it's fine to express yourself, just as you do with your banners.  I'm not putting you down for it.  I was just using your bannes in your sig as a way to reflect your argument back on you.

You're putting people down in your initial comment for just expressing their opinion.  That's what forums are for.  For them as well as you to use that way.

I like your banners.  Expressing who you are is fine.  But you were putting others down for it.
    Hey they knew what was coming for them when they started this shit about saying WoW sucks,they dont need defending, they are big boys and girls... i hope.
    Im not gonna start another fight to add on the thousands on this site. So I will end this disscussion now

One thing that I didn't like about WoW is the lack of unique character options.

There's no way to change what you're wearing.  No dyes for your armor.  No way to really change the appearance of your character at all.  Everyone looks alike pretty much.  Especially if they have the same armor set on.

I think a game like DAoC was successful in allowing you to give your character a unique look with armor dyes and being able to change your character's looks when you feel like it.

It's hard to develop a characters personality in an MMO.  And I think that's one of the things that the developers need to figure out a way to do. 

EQ2 allows you to change your characters voice.  That's one step in the right direction.  Anything that allows you to build your character up to be unique and give it the impression of having a cool personality, through actions and such, is great.

But WoW just doesn't offer anything along those lines.

Here are the facts about WOW:

- In the top 5 best selling PC Games every week since it launched over a year ago.

- Has the most subscribers in the US and Worldwide by a wide margin.

- Is the #1 rated/reviewed MMO on the market.

While it may not be the best MMO to a few members on this board, it is #1 by a wide margin in every category that counts.  While WOW haters may try to impart their opinions about the game on others realize that is only their opinion, anything else is factless fiction.

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

- In the top 5 best selling PC Games every week since it launched over a year ago.
    While it may not be the best MMO to a few members on this board, it is #1 by a wide margin in every category that counts.  While WOW haters may try to impart their opinions about the game on others realize that is only their opinion, anything else is factless fiction.

The only category that "counts" to me is my personal opinion. 

I've read reviews for tons of games that were supposed to be good and they turned out bad.  They just weren't what I was looking for.

I think the difference between the people who are buying and playing WoW and the majority of people who come to this site is that most of the people who would come to an MMO site such as this know a little more about MMO's than most other people.  We also expect a little more. 

That's the reason it's dropping on these boards and that's the reason so many people here complain about it.  We're like the expert players of MMO's or the most knowledgable at least. 

Everday people like to go watch movies like R.V., but you wouldn't expect it to win an Oscar.  Because the people who pick the Oscar's look for something more in a movie.  It's not saying that R.V. is a bad movie.  It could be entertaining.  But to a person looking for a complete movie with award winning qualities, they tend to look elsewhere.

Game review sites play to the masses too.  You've got to remember that.  A site like Gamespot needs to make sure that the review they give a game has to be agreeable to the most number of people.  But that doesn't necessarily mean that a game played by more people is a game that has the most complexity, best artistic appearance, best music, or most originality.  It just means more people will like it.  And most people will go to a shiny game with lot's of publicity like WoW just like a moth to a flame.  It's just the way consumers are.

Look at it this way, if you were wanting to put together a list of best movies that you would want to stand the test of time and have a legacy would you put a redneck in charge of the list or someone trained in film and movie production?

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• slapme7timesslapme7times Member Posts: 436

i didnt come to any mmo sites until i got bored of wow and quit.

since wow has the greatest numbers of players, regardless of how good the game is, it will still have a greater number of quitters than other mmos.

the majority, from my experience on this site, of us have quit alot of mmos.  people with an actively fun mmo dont come here to cry or search for a new one =)

wow's primary problem isnt that it lacks a player driven economy, or more character options, or better pvp, or a non grind-tastic honor system imo...

it's that i've played the game, watched the loading screen, been to the website 500,000,000, and the core game mechanics just arent as fun as they used to be.

now everything that was once ignored is now a knife in the back, because i am simply too used to the game =)

maybe thats why the ratings are so low... i mean, comon, remember those old nostalgic games you used to love, but really dont play any more?

i can think of tons, but with mmo's, you play until you absolutely burn out.   that is why i beleive people who quit mmos dont have friendly memories. =)

--people who believe in abstinence are unsurprisingly also some of the ugliest most sexually undesired people in the world.--

• mhexmhex Member Posts: 29
    im playing daoc now because the pvp is so much better.. wow just didnt deliver

Originally posted by porgie
    The only category that "counts" to me is my personal opinion. 

I completely agree that personal opinion is the only thing that should matter when you decide to play a game or not, but what is most important to any company is marketshare and those that think WOW is "sinking" are simply wrong.  Personally I agree that the end game of WOW and PVP system are not that great, but as someone else pointed out the ride getting to the end was one of the best in any game I have ever played.  Just remember that those of the opinion that WOW isn't the best MMO on the market today are in the minority.
  • XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

WoW has blah blah blah millions of subs blah blah. Read the flipping topic heading.

"WoW sinking in the site ratings"

Debate the relevance or "accuracy" of this site ratings all you like I think it's a pretty good guide myself. Those rated 7 or below tend to be turkeys, anything about 7 is worth subscribing to imho.

Thhe observation the OP made, which has been largely ignored by everyone in this thread is that the rating has lowered, in fact is 10th on the list.

Lets take a look at the rating breakdown

Graphics: 8.8
    Sound: 8.8
    Role Playing: 7.7
    Value: 8.3
    Fun: 8.6
    Community: 7.4
    Performance / Lag: 7.9
    Customer Service: 7.5

If anyone actually bothered to compare the sub categories like I have, they will see that apart from Everquest 2 with Customer Service rating of 7.3, the two categories that the 9 games above World of Warcraft that are consistently higher are Community and Customer Service.

Yes, even Guild Wars has a higher Community rating than World of Warcraft. That's your reason and I would say that's very accurate indeed.

No annoying animated GIF here!

Originally posted by Xenduli

WoW has blah blah blah millions of subs blah blah. Read the flipping topic heading.
    Debate the relevance or "accuracy" of this site ratings all you like I think it's a pretty good guide myself. Those rated 7 or below tend to be turkeys, anything about 7 is worth subscribing to imho.
    Thhe observation the OP made, which has been largely ignored by everyone in this thread is that the rating has lowered, in fact is 10th on the list.

Just because you agree with this sites rankings doesn't make them an accurate reflection of the entire MMO market.  You are correct about the OP being related specifically to this site but I think you will see the majority of the rebutals have been to those that said WOW can't keep players and isn't gaining any ground in the US.  The fact is a bigger percentage of other MMO subscribers are registered to this board than WOW subs.  How do I know this?  Simple...

Eve has 4210 reviews on this site.  As of May Eve has approx. 121k subscribers, that would mean 3.5% of their current subs reviewed the game.

WOW has 6181 reviews on this site.  As of May WOW has approx. 6.5M subscribers, that would mean less than .001% of their players reviewed the game.

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

Just because you agree with this sites rankings doesn't make them an accurate reflection of the entire MMO market.  You are correct about the OP being related specifically to this site but I think you will see the majority of the rebutals have been to those that said WOW can't keep players and isn't gaining any ground in the US.  The fact is a bigger percentage of other MMO subscribers are registered to this board than WOW subs.  How do I know this?  Simple...

Eve has 4210 reviews on this site.  As of May Eve has approx. 121k subscribers, that would mean 3.5% of their current subs reviewed the game.

WOW has 6181 reviews on this site.  As of May WOW has approx. 6.5M subscribers, that would mean less than .01% of their players reviewed the game.

We're not talking about the entire MMO market.  We're talking about the people that come to this site.  The people that come to this site with our unique perspective on MMO's. 

Most people who come to this site are a little more experienced when it comes to playing MMO's.  Some of these guys have been playing since MUD's were it. 

That's what we're talking about. 

The ratings for WoW on THIS SITE have dropped. 

Now discuss the reasons for that if you wish, but leave the rest of the market out of the discussion.  For this discussion thread we're not interested in them. 

I hope you, and anyone else who has talked about anyone outside of this sites members, see what everyone is trying to explain to you now. 

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

Originally posted by porgie

WOW has 6181 reviews on this site.  As of May WOW has approx. 6.5M subscribers, that would mean less than .01% of their players reviewed the game.

We're not talking about the entire MMO market.  We're talking about the people that come to this site.  The people that come to this site with our unique perspective on MMO's. 

Most people who come to this site are a little more experienced when it comes to playing MMO's.  Some of these guys have been playing since MUD's were it. 

Now discuss the reasons for that if you wish, but leave the rest of the market out of the discussion.  For this discussion thread we're not interested in them. 

I hope you, and anyone else who has talked about anyone outside of this sites members, see what everyone is trying to explain to you now. 

You aren't talking about the entire MMO market but I am, and my point is how this site relates the the entire MMO market.  The sites name afterall is MMORPG.com so I think it is fair to show the correlation.
    You aren't talking about the entire MMO market but I am, and my point is how this site relates to the entire MMO market.  The sites name afterall is MMORPG.com so I think it is fair to show the correlation.
  • dtoxdtox Member Posts: 14

Top 5 selling ? Can agree with that untill a month ago, now they dont sell at all. Not a singel copy for the last month has been sold in the stores I went to, they even droped the price to close to nothing. Now this can be a sign of two things. Most ppl already have the game or there is just not enough interest in the game anymore.

My guess is, wow had its time and now its not as interesting as it was the first year. The servers get worse and blizzard dont have enough experince to fix it imo. They just play with there server migration all day long. And when your in a raiding guild that do C'thun and get your epics, you get the "what now" feeling. Is there anything else left?, more or less every raid guild is just doing some farm runs for nexxus crystals and waiting for 1.11 to come live (yes, this dont apply to most guilds. There is alot of guilds thats still working to get to and kill C'tun).

Wow might have most subscribers worldwide but does that say its THE best game?. Alot of ppl I know and play with just use the game as an expencive msn/irc. Logon, stand in whatever place and idle and chat with your friends. Maybe sometimes go wild and do some pvp.

What blizzard could do is give the pvp a meaning. The pvp is the same as when you got the new big bad boss in the latest instance. When you hit rank 14 (if your not bored to death and took your life before that) you will keep pvping for what?, a week? two?.

And yes, WoW was rated high and was praised almost by everyone even before it went live. What made it be so popular?. Was it that it brought new things to the mmo market?. Hardly, what was new?, a set of broken tradeskills where only a handfull things where usefull. The graphics, although its a different cartoony look it has its times. The enviorments can be entertaining at times. The designers went crazy (maybe even found some drugs) for some time with AQ and is now finaly starting to make some good designs again with Naxx, even though the warlock set looks like some leftovers from SWG.

That might have been a bit off topic but the point is, it gets boring fast. In more mmo's there is atleest a meaning with the pvp to lean back on when you need a break from the pve. I see more and more ppl leave the game and delete there characters. In other mmo's ppl just cancel there subscriptions and come back a month or two later, with wow they just know.. I wont come back. I for one dont have any high hopes for 1.11 or the expansion. 1.11 adds a new instance, sure, a bit more fun to explore a new instance. Get another set of epics and then get bored waiting for the next big thing to happen. The expansion is also more of the same, a few more areas that you probably will exlore in what?, 5 hours ?. Yay, 2 new races. Sounds fun at first but realy. They are nothing special, everone and there grandmother will run around in the starter area as it was on the launch of wow to try the new races and then the big battle begins. Who will hit 70 first?.

Unless blizzard gets it right I dont see a very bright future for wow. Thats just my 2 cents.

• XenduliXenduli Member Posts: 654

Just because you agree with this sites rankings doesn't make them an accurate reflection of the entire MMO market. You are correct about the OP being related specifically to this site but I think you will see the majority of the rebutals have been to those that said WOW can't keep players and isn't gaining any ground in the US. The fact is a bigger percentage of other MMO subscribers are registered to this board than WOW subs. How do I know this? Simple...
    Eve has 4210 reviews on this site. As of May Eve has approx. 121k subscribers, that would mean 3.5% of their current subs reviewed the game.
    WOW has 6181 reviews on this site. As of May WOW has approx. 6.5M subscribers, that would mean less than .001% of their players reviewed the game.

Not entirely sure where you get 4210 and 6181 from. There is no "accurate reflection" of the entire MMO market, but these site ratings are a pretty good gauge and I don't understand why they are so readily dismissed. Yes results may be tainted, but what survey doesn't have some tainted results. At least I tried to explain why ratings fell or why WoW can't keep players rather than bang on about subscriber numbers.

No annoying animated GIF here!

• LeGrayLeGray Member UncommonPosts: 65
    just a thougt: wow caters the casuals - most casuals have something better to do than sit in front of a pc and farm when its warm outside ;)

the numbers ARE dropping. maybe not much and only seasonal, but they are dropping. most ppl I know canceled their account and wait for more info about the expansion and if its worth reactivating. depending on the games coming out this fall they'll spend their money on another game (you can call that a trend what I hear in my guild and guilds other ppl I know).

btw, good post about the virgins up there ;)