Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Slashdot: Vanguard Beta In Trouble

Comments

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Fadeus

Most aren't predicting SOE is going to buy Vanguard slick, we are saying it's POSSIBLE. Maybe you should take some of your own advice and relax alittle.

K.

/relax

Now you do a little more wait and see and a little less wait and pee.

• jonakujonaku Member Posts: 281

In my experience, the criticisms that beta testers had about DDO, MXO, SWG, EQ2 all turned out to be correct. The praises that beta testers had about WOW turned out to be correct. Whenever you have a chorus of beta testers complaining about the same thing, I think that's a very potent early warning signal.

• WoodenDummyWoodenDummy Member Posts: 208

Originally posted by jonaku

In my experience, the criticisms that beta testers had about DDO, MXO, SWG, EQ2 all turned out to be correct. The praises that beta testers had about WOW turned out to be correct. Whenever you have a chorus of beta testers complaining about the same thing, I think that's a very potent early warning signal.

I think I have to agree with this.  I was a fan of DDO in beta and I still am now, but what people had to say about it in beta was true and the game is suffering because of it.

MXO, SWG and EQ2 had a lot of beta testers in a line trying to let people know there was going to be some big problems.

I find this comment very worrying -

" Even a developer was called on the
    carpet by beta players as recent as two weeks ago. The disrespect and
    rudeness of the regular, vocal dissenters of MMOG-today, ruthlessly bit
    into this poor guy like a pack of wolves. Just as the animals they are,
    at the first smell of blood, they all wanted a piece of him. The crime?
    The mere suggestion that corpse runs were not a fun factor and should
    be removed to a lesser penalty then what currently exists in Vanguard
    right now. What did Brad do? He basically apologized for his staff's
    outburst."

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by WoodenDummy

I think I have to agree with this.  I was a fan of DDO in beta and I still am now, but what people had to say about it in beta was true and the game is suffering because of it.

MXO, SWG and EQ2 had a lot of beta testers in a line trying to let people know there was going to be some big problems.

I find this comment very worrying -

" Even a developer was called on the carpet by beta players as recent as two weeks ago. The disrespect and rudeness of the regular, vocal dissenters of MMOG-today, ruthlessly bit into this poor guy like a pack of wolves. Just as the animals they are, at the first smell of blood, they all wanted a piece of him. The crime? The mere suggestion that corpse runs were not a fun factor and should be removed to a lesser penalty then what currently exists in Vanguard right now. What did Brad do? He basically apologized for his staff's outburst."

Did you really own a sinclair? i remember when those came out, I wanted one so bad!

Anyways, the bitchy vocally upset beta testers exist for every game, even WoW. If you have an axe to grind, forgive me, but lets just see what the full release brings. It's still a long ways off.

• NerdyChickNerdyChick Member Posts: 16

Other then WoW, (who lifted their NDA allowing beta testers to give positive feedback on it), what other games have gotten positive publicity from NDA-leaks?  I honestly don't know of any, which is why I am asking.

I dont know if it was in this thread or another similar one, but someone had said that the people who break the NDA and give negative feedback already dislike the game and don't care if they get booted.  The people who are working with the companies and enjoying the game in Beta, dont want to get kicked out, so they dont break the NDA to defend the game.

~~
    Nerissa
    World Of Roleplayers Radio
    http://www.wor-radio.com

• pingofdeathpingofdeath Member Posts: 83
    exactly.  there HAVE been a lot of positive NDA leaks as well, just not as many as the negatives.

Insert generic anime quote/My Chemical Romance lyrics here.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

One thing you left out was those people were complaining about the beta saying "this game isn't ready for release" just prior to release and the games were released anyway. Vanguard is nowhere near release. If some of those other games had been given another six months of beta, then they would have done much better when released. Vanguard has at least another six months of beta and they are changing things according to player feedback all the time. It is just far too soon to be writing this game off because of the complaints of a few beta testers who don't know what beta means. (btw, many of those complaints are out dated now as much of the game, such as the combat system, has and is still undergoing changes)

image image

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

Originally posted by anarchyart

Originally posted by Tuvarin

I doubt I will play Vangard, but I won't know until its released.  However, one thing that I've noticed on these boards is that the fans of this game (vanbois if you will), have incredible powers of telling the future. 

Ohh and in your 10 post career here have you noticed that the anti-SOE flambois seem to predict the future a heck of a lot more? Saying this game will never have 500k subs (Dis_0rdur) which is BS, you have no clue how many subs it will have. Predicting Sony will buy the game from Sigil or buy Sigil outright. Predicting doom and gloom all the way down the line for this game?

Come now AA, I am not an anti-SOE flameboy, I am payin fer EQ2 fer christs sake!

I hate what they did to SWG, and overall feel SOE to be sort of like the Paul Reuben of MMO companies, but hey, we all like Pee Wee Herman at one time didn't we?

VSoH will never hit 500k subs...  This is believable and you know it...  Don't put the blinders up chief...

And to the poster a few above from me, cries from beta testers are almost always good indicators of what a game is going to release like...

Remember CoH beta?  Nobody really screamed bloody murder before that dropped, and the CoH launch is up there with best launches of all time, same with CoV, minus a little lag...

I WILL be trying VSoH for sure, hell, I have money to blow left and right...  It is well worth my time to check it out...  I am worried that it won't keep me long though...  I am sure it will pass the "First 10 Minutes of Fun Test", but I am worried that game-sweeping changes (like what happens with every other damn MMO) that will effectively change my character's play-style after investing so much time into it...

Remember LU13?  Remember what it did to Warlocks?  The Warlock boards are "taking the piss" now...  This is my greatest fear with VSoH, and any other MMO for that matter...

Given the fact that you are an irrate SOE fanboi, I really love your avatar...  Stella Artois FTW...

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

VSoH will never hit 500k subs...  This is believable and you know it...  Don't put the blinders up chief...

I agree. With the advanced warnings from the beta testers and the super hard core game mechanics that will scare off anyone who can't commit 8 hours a day to the game, this game is just not going to get anywhere near 500 K subscribers. Then the fit will hit the shan and then Sigil will start begging SOE to buy them out of their misery, SOE will comply, and the more fit will hit the shan.

Look at the MMOCHart.com write up on VSOH. He doesn't think VSOH will hit 500 K either, he's predicitng 250 K at most:

"Sigil is talking about 250K -- 500K subscribers being a conservative estimate; I’m looking at something more in the 150K – 250K range for North America, assuming they execute well on most of their design goals.]"

http://www.mmogchart.com/E32006.html

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630

No more dumbed down games

Down with EZ mode

Casual players ruin everything

Corpse runs

No maps

Harsh death penalties

Go back to WoW

I hate kiddie games

My guild is elite and will pwn you

No more hand holding

Hardcore

EQ pre-Velious

PoP ruined everything

No easy transportation

Anyone who disagrees with me is a kid and lazy

You need to work and earn

No handouts

Soe sucks. No wait, SOE is ok now because Brad says so.

If you memorize these simple catch phrases, you too can participate on the Vanguard forums. Better yet, read that over and over and you will never need to. That's all that's been said over there for years.

Gosh that sounds like a fun game. Oh wait, I forgot one:

Fun is for losers. You should feel pain.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by Dis_Ordur

And to the poster a few above from me, cries from beta testers are almost always good indicators of what a game is going to release like...
    Remember CoH beta?  Nobody really screamed bloody murder before that dropped, and the CoH launch is up there with best launches of all time, same with CoV, minus a little lag...

Like I said, that would be true if Vanguard were releasing soon and the devs were plowing through with their release date over the objections of their beta testers (like just about every game before Vanguard). If SWG had another six months of beta, it might have been a great game with a solid release. Instead, Lucas and/or SOE plowed forward with release over the objections of testers and the game NEVER recovered.

Vanguard isn't releasing tomorrow, and the devs are determined not to release until the game is ready. And the devs are making changes to the game all the time based on player feedback. All those whines you hear about Vanguard are mostly outdated. Fact is, you can't base Vanguard's release on all those hurried releases because they aren't done. Vanguard is beta the way it is supposed to be, not the way it has been done in the past.

image image

• Neurox1Neurox1 Member Posts: 260

old news to me .... i started hearing about pissed off beta testers a while ago ....

and heard about the game sucking in beta even before i was outraged at the SOE fiasco ...

the SOE fiasco just sealed the coffin for me ...

I was very interested in vanguard for a time ... but now look towards hero's journey, fallen earth, warhammer, age of conan ... and maybe even gods and heros ( if i can stomach SOE's involvement with that game)

it just seems to me " why should i stay loyal to a boring game, if its being published by a cmpany  i hate?"

Originally posted by Neurox1

old news to me .... i started hearing about pissed off beta testers a while ago ....
    and heard about the game sucking in beta even before i was outraged at the SOE fiasco ...
    the SOE fiasco just sealed the coffin for me ...
    I was very interested in vanguard for a time ... but now look towards hero's journey, fallen earth, warhammer, age of conan ... and maybe even gods and heros ( if i can stomach SOE's involvement with that game)
    it just seems to me " why should i stay loyal to a boring game, if its being published by a cmpany  i hate?"

LOL, well said.

it's interesting how pervasive around the internet concerning beta testers complaining about how unfun the game is. it's one thing to hear it from 1 source. but when you hear the same thing from mulitiple sources, you start having to take it seriously, i guess.

• finnmacool1finnmacool1 Member Posts: 453
    Well i think the latest release estimate is jan-mar 07. That should give them time to fix/enhance the game to an "entertaining" state. I think alot depends on how far they are willing to tweak all the major mechanics because they do need major tweaks.

Originally posted by finnmacool1
    Well i think the latest release estimate is jan-mar 07. That should give them time to fix/enhance the game to an "entertaining" state. I think alot depends on how far they are willing to tweak all the major mechanics because they do need major tweaks.

the problem is that the "vision(tm)" is inherently unfun so no amount of tweaking will help unless the "vision(tm)" is altered which will not happen.
  • baphametbaphamet Member RarePosts: 3,311

Originally posted by finnmacool1 Well i think the latest release estimate is jan-mar 07. That should give them time to fix/enhance the game to an "entertaining" state. I think alot depends on how far they are willing to tweak all the major mechanics because they do need major tweaks.
    the problem is that the "vision(tm)" is inherently unfun so no amount of tweaking will help unless the "vision(tm)" is altered which will not happen.

actually "the problem is" you seem to think your opinion is the only opinion that matters, you seem to think "the vision" is unfun while so many others tend to disagree, "the vision" was pretty successful in eq and i will decide if it is unfun or not when vanguard is a finished product.

the question is, if you are so convinced its going to fail so miserably why on earth do you spend so much time "trying" to convince others to believe it to? why do you care? just curious.

Originally posted by baphamet

Originally posted by finnmacool1 Well i think the latest release estimate is jan-mar 07. That should give them time to fix/enhance the game to an "entertaining" state. I think alot depends on how far they are willing to tweak all the major mechanics because they do need major tweaks.

actually "the problem is" you seem to think your opinion is the only opinion that matters,

i don't think my opinion is the only one that matters. i think my opinon matters and i think ur opinion matters. unfortunately, u don't think my opinion matters. hypocrite.

you seem to think "the vision" is unfun while so many others tend to disagree,

so many others thought EQ2 would kill WOW, that WOW would fail, that Guild Wars would kill WOW, that DNL would have a great launch.  what "so many others" think has no bearing on my ability to critically reason and form my own "contrarian" opinion. and that assumes that "so many others" think you propose. IMHO, "so many others" think vanguard is gonna be a dud.

"the vision" was pretty successful in eq

only because eq had no real competition. today's MMO market is very competitive. and the market has CHANGED. brad still thinks the MMO market consists of powergamers playing 8 hours a day. it. does. not.

and i will decide if it is unfun or not when vanguard is a finished product.

and i too will decide if it is unfun or not when vanguard is a finished product. and before it's a finished product. i have that right.

the question is, if you are so convinced its going to fail so miserably why on earth do you spend so much time "trying" to convince others to believe it to? why do you care? just curious.

i don't want others to be mislead by brad's deceptive statements that vanguard welcomes "core gamers" when in fact, the term "core gamers" is a fabrication and that casuals and medium level players will have an awful time.

Originally posted by baphamet Originally posted by jonakuOriginally posted by finnmacool1 Well i think the latest release estimate is jan-mar 07. That should give them time to fix/enhance the game to an "entertaining" state. I think alot depends on how far they are willing to tweak all the major mechanics because they do need major tweaks.the problem is that the "vision(tm)" is inherently unfun so no amount of tweaking will help unless the "vision(tm)" is altered which will not happen.
    actually "the problem is" you seem to think your opinion is the only opinion that matters,
    i don't think my opinion is the only one that matters. i think my opinon matters and i think ur opinion matters. unfortunately, u don't think my opinion matters. hypocrite. you seem to think "the vision" is unfun while so many others tend to disagree,
    so many others thought EQ2 would kill WOW, that WOW would fail, that Guild Wars would kill WOW, that DNL would have a great launch.  what "so many others" think has no bearing on my ability to critically reason and form my own "contrarian" opinion. and that assumes that "so many others" think you propose. IMHO, "so many others" think vanguard is gonna be a dud.
    "the vision" was pretty successful in eq
    only because eq had no real competition. today's MMO market is very competitive. and the market has CHANGED. brad still thinks the MMO market consists of powergamers playing 8 hours a day. it. does. not.
    and i will decide if it is unfun or not when vanguard is a finished product.
    and i too will decide if it is unfun or not when vanguard is a finished product. and before it's a finished product. i have that right.
    i don't want others to be mislead by brad's deceptive statements that vanguard welcomes "core gamers" when in fact, the term "core gamers" is a fabrication and that casuals and medium level players will have an awful time.

lol i am a hypocrite? go ahead and try and quote me where i am pretending my opinion is fact. like you have done on multiple occasions.

go ahead and try and find a post of mine where i purposely try and start a flame war, like you have on multiple occasions.

good luck with that, and troll more.

weather you want to believe it or not, jonaku there are people that want to play a game like vanguard. if you think that everyone is just happy with games like wow you better think again.

yeah theres alot of casual gamers, but does that mean all the people that play more than casual no longer exist? do you really think that all the vanguard fans are actually casual gamers that have been "fooled" by sigil?

there are still alot of people that want a game like this, obviously by vanguards huge fanbase, and i don't think people need a troll hero telling them what to like or dislike, anyone with half a brain can figure out what type of mmorpg vanguard will be.

and if you are a true casual gamer and still want to play vanguard, knowing how casual unfriendly it will be then later complain about it that is your problem.

there are plenty of other games out there that will be far greater for a true casual gamer than vanguard, go play one of those.

• WoodenDummyWoodenDummy Member Posts: 208

good luck with that, and troll more.

His post was better.

there are plenty of other games out there that will be far greater for a true casual gamer than vanguard, go play one of those.

like 99% of the vanbois at the vanguard forum, you have resorted to the tired old line "i think you would enjoy a game like WOW more."

oh, that reminds me, that's the other reason why i don't like vanguard: the community of vanbois is so repulsive in their elitist sadomasochistic zealous adoration of the vision(tm) that i find it sickening. any game that attracts such a horrid community of people is just bad, bad, bad and must be destroyed or overhauled at any cost.

and when the game launches to a disappointing 150 K subscribers, well below that targeted 500 k subscribers, i will el oh el as the fit hits the shan internally at vanguard when they will have to do an $0e nge revamp of the game.

u vanbois so mindlessly defend the game it's hilarious.

• ross1893ross1893 Member Posts: 47
    You do have an opinion jonaku and so does dink. Unfortunatly you use it to belittle a game that you have most likely never played. I know dink you saw it at E3 or something like that. They didnt even let anyone play it. The date today it 7/13/06, they said they would be shipping on 1/1/07 just as a mock date. Even so that would give them a little under another 6 months. That is quite a bit of time. The game in my opinion as a fanboy of vanguard for a few years now looks great. And the gameplay has yet to be proven with the lack of information that is ready yet. But that is how MMO's work I guess, I dont see them getting any better. You buy it based on the screens and video and hope that you like playing it. But evidently we didnt like playing them enough to play with our free  time. So basically what I am saying is that I will buy this game just like the last few(i.e. EQ2, WoW, GW). The only difference is that the devs on this game have really impressed me with the posts they make and the FAQ that is full of information. They have ideas that they can only hope work. And if they dont pan out they have said that they will take them out during beta. That is how it goes. You get an idea and see how it looks when the idea isnt on just paper anymore. Not real sure where I was going with this hmm. Also I dont mean to be cruel to other posters on this forum, but I have seen both of you bash this game and still come back to these forums. If you dont like this game and think it will fail. Why waste your time?

Originally posted by ross1893
    You do have an opinion jonaku and so does dink. Unfortunatly you use it to belittle a game that you have most likely never played. I know dink you saw it at E3 or something like that. They didnt even let anyone play it. The date today it 7/13/06, they said they would be shipping on 1/1/07 just as a mock date. Even so that would give them a little under another 6 months. That is quite a bit of time. The game in my opinion as a fanboy of vanguard for a few years now looks great. And the gameplay has yet to be proven with the lack of information that is ready yet. But that is how MMO's work I guess, I dont see them getting any better. You buy it based on the screens and video and hope that you like playing it. But evidently we didnt like playing them enough to play with our free  time. So basically what I am saying is that I will buy this game just like the last few(i.e. EQ2, WoW, GW). The only difference is that the devs on this game have really impressed me with the posts they make and the FAQ that is full of information. They have ideas that they can only hope work. And if they dont pan out they have said that they will take them out during beta. That is how it goes. You get an idea and see how it looks when the idea isnt on just paper anymore. Not real sure where I was going with this hmm. Also I dont mean to be cruel to other posters on this forum, but I have seen both of you bash this game and still come back to these forums. If you dont like this game and think it will fail. Why waste your time?

sorry, tldr, ur wall of text crit me for 11,000 dmg. rezzing now....
  • ross1893ross1893 Member Posts: 47
    haha, good one. Sorry I am at work and no one is coming in. Very bored. I thought about it though and we wouldnt get as many new threads if it werent for you jonaku. So you arent all bad; I just think you would enjoy hyping a game you like more maybe?

like 99% of the vanbois at the vanguard forum, you have resorted to the tired old line "i think you would enjoy a game like WOW more."
    oh, that reminds me, that's the other reason why i don't like vanguard: the community of vanbois is so repulsive in their elitist sadomasochistic zealous adoration of the vision(tm) that i find it sickening. any game that attracts such a horrid community of people is just bad, bad, bad and must be destroyed or overhauled at any cost.
    and when the game launches to a disappointing 150 K subscribers, well below that targeted 500 k subscribers, i will el oh el as the fit hits the shan internally at vanguard when they will have to do an $0e nge revamp of the game.
    u vanbois so mindlessly defend the game it's hilarious.

I'm sorry you don't agree that a game that is more casually friendly would be better for a casual gamer than vanguard, I'm sorry that you feel every single game must be catered just for you "the casual gamer".

I'm sorry you feel so threatened by people that are exited by a game you are not, kind of like the red headed step child thats jealous of her sister for being happy while she is miserable.

you haters so mindlessly bash a game you will never play and spend all of your time doing so its not only hilarious, its pathetic.

for your sake i hope you do go get a hobby or find a game you do like and enjoy, instead of making a living off of spreading negativity about a game you will never play.

and keep on making flame bait threads about your predictions, no matter how much hate and negativity you spread people will still try the game for themselves and decide weather they will like it or not.

no amount of trolling or negativity about vanguard will change that, but have fun trying! ::::02::