Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

About of beta

Ok I dont know why are players speaking when will be beta. and when will be beta out what we will expect then? You will be able play a DEMO?

Comments

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

is english your first language?

not a flame, but i'm not clear on what you are trying to convey.

• KlemenKlemen Member Posts: 9

yes i know im the most weaklikn man in the world i learning english 5 years and still cant speak well this is my second language.

I tryed ask what mean BETA?

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

I think you're asking what a beta is. A beta test is an early version of the game that is run to find and fix the problems before the game actually is released. In an online game like the ones on this web site, people can sign up to test the game before it comes out (or play for free early, depending on how you look at it). It's like being able to play the game before release, and help the company make the game work better by finding bugs, errors, and connection issues. Beta tests usually have a lot of problems to work out so they shouldn't be taken as what the final game is going to be like.

I'm starting to ramble. Think that sort of explains it.

• TinybinaTinybina Member Posts: 2,130
    Yes it does. +1 to you sir

------------------------------
    You see, every mammal on this planet instinctively develops a natural equilibrium with their surrounding environment, but you humans do not. You spread to an area, and you multiply, and you multiply, until every natural resource is consumed. The only way you can survive is to spread to another area. There is another organism on this planet that follows the same pattern. Do you know what it is? A virus. Human beings are a disease, a cancer of this planet.-Mr.Smith

• KlemenKlemen Member Posts: 9
    Thanks man! I have one more question... Are we be able to play beta all peoples these they want to play?
  • cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

Not everyone will be able to play in the beta. Funcom will pick a select number of people for each phase of Beta testing. The first phase is most likely going to be for a small number of people closely involved in the AoC community.

Funcom might have an open beta to stress test the servers closer to the release date.

-Cheggelund

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043
    Another thing about beta.

though I've never been part of a video game beta, I have been a tester for other types of software. My assumtion isn't that they just give you a game to play but responsibility comes with it. For example, you have to write out reports on your thoughts about certain features and what not.

Is that true?
  • RadiotreeRadiotree Member Posts: 81

In my Beta experience, yes feedback is the main thing a company is looking for in a beta tester.  Many times you'll be asked to fill out surveys, but mostly a tester fills out bug reports;  If you crash, what you were doing, and where you where when it happens.  Also in-game bugs, like if your character gets stuck and can't get loose, or you have weird graphics issues with the game. 

Companies want to fix the in-game stuff before the release, because when it goes live, there is a good chance the devs are going to have to turn to issues with the game that are always going to pop up only when the loads get heavy. 

Guess I should have said most companies.  SOE is still beta testing SWG after three years(although they're making you pay), and have never fixed a bug, pre or post launch.  If you want to see what most companies are trying to fix pre-launch, subscribe to SWG for a month, you'll see what a good company tries to avoid. 

Sorry, couldn't help that shot at SOE, it has been entirely too long, and the pressure had built greatly...

<and release>.

• tetsultetsul Member Posts: 1,020

During the regular beta time, there is a form you fill out with information like where you live, what you have tested before, operating system, information like that. If the game makers think they need more people with, for example, Windows xp they will pick people who have it to test. Mostly it's random though.

At the end of testing GOOD companies with GOOD games (not DnL) have what is known as an Open Beta. Anyone can play that wants to for usually around a week. It's to test vast number of people playing and a good way to build up interest in their game.

If Radiotree can sneak a shot in so can I.

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221
    The last beta is often open beta for EVERYONE. Basicaly it lasts several days and the point of that beta is to test server/database stability. That way they can test how well their servers will behave when hordes of people try to log in to their servers at once.

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage

• cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

Based on how the launch of Funcom's last MMO (AO) went, they better plan for a prolonged open beta (stress test). I think that Funcom has learned a lot about launcing an MMO from AO, and hopefully those lessons will be prevalent when AoC is released.

-Cheggelund