Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Skill system?

VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

I still haven't heard what time of system AoC will use.  I was hoping for something along the lines of AO.  Out of the dozens of mmorpgs I've played, I still say that was/is the best system to date.  It's a level system, based on experience, and you gain skill points each level.  You then spend those points in over a hundred different areas.  Depending on the area you spend, you gradually increase your effectiveness in certain things, get faster at others, and the best part, enable you to equip certain items that have requirements of a certain amount of skill. 

The entire buffing/twinking system alone in AO makes it the coolest system I've ever seen.  It not only requires a TON of forethought, but is incredibly fun and satisfying when you equip that level 100 gun on your level 40 character. :) 

Anyone know if AoC will be using something at least similar?  With all the love for that system, I'd hate to think Funcom would just drop it on their next game.  Without that system, AO wouldn't be near as good as it is.  Yes, it does open up the possibility to gimp your character.  But only if you're an idiot.  :)

One last thing.  I see people talk about character customizarion alot.  Well, I'd think that can be 3 different meanings. 

One of course, is the graphical aspect (the one you go through at character creation).  This one usually tends to be underwhelming every single time.  Nobody gives a rats ass about whether your nose is hooked up or down. 

2nd, would be the equipment diversity while playing.  Seeing a level 50 of the same class, and you're both wearing the same thing, because there isn't a whole lot to choose from.  

Finally, is the topic I present above.  The effectivness of 2 of the same classes, races, levels.  Will they be VERY different, as in AO?  Or will they be only marginally different (which is usually the case with only a few "special skill" choices).  This can be seen with pretty much any game right now.  WoW comes to mind.  For example, all mages have access to 95% of any of the mage spells.  Your so-called character diversity there lies in the latter 5% of talents, which might give you a couple of new spells, and being more efficient at the regular ones, or a given type. 

Comments

• AngervienAngervien Member UncommonPosts: 24

The game is based around a level progression, as you grow stronger more adventures will open up to you, and you will be able to take part in epic battles with other players in many diverse regions of Hyboria.

For the first five levels you are a “commoner”, without class, but of Cimmerian, Aquilonian or Stygian origin. Then at level five you choose your base class from four archetypes: Mage, Priest, Thief or Warrior.

At level twenty you get further three to four class selections for each archetype (14 in total), which branches again into two specialized classes for each selection at level sixty.

Additionally you can pick one of four distinct professions at level 40, which gives an additional, parallel, path of development. You can be a Craftsman (making things), a Master (earning you a full time squire), a Commander (adept at multiplayer gameplay) or a General - an expert on siege gameplay.

So its more like DAoC than it is AO.

• VhayneVhayne Member UncommonPosts: 632

Well that's disappointing as hell. :(  I mean, even though it "sounds" like a lot of diversity, when you have thousands of people playing, you'll still end up with tons of people that all chose the exact same paths as you did, and therefore have all identical skills and abilities.  Still cookie cutter, although just more cookies.

Anyway at all to tweak your character beyond the class structure?  (example: WoW's talent points, EQ's AA system, a stat system, spell/skill selections or rarity, etc.)

• jimmyman99jimmyman99 Member UncommonPosts: 3,221

Originally posted by Vhayne

Well that's disappointing as hell. :(  I mean, even though it "sounds" like a lot of diversity, when you have thousands of people playing, you'll still end up with tons of people that all chose the exact same paths as you did, and therefore have all identical skills and abilities.  Still cookie cutter, although just more cookies.
    Anyway at all to tweak your character beyond the class structure?  (example: WoW's talent points, EQ's AA system, a stat system, spell/skill selections or rarity, etc.)

I dont think you undestood what he was trying to say. The cookie cutter classes exist at the beginning, the more advanced you are, the more unique your character skills become. After all, we cant all make a level 1 character and suddenly each have 50 unique skills in your hotbar.

Im guessing there will be enough number of combat skills to rival WoW ( I love how in WoW I can fill 2-4 rows of hotbars with various skills, talents, potions, items..etc ). I dont think AoC is gonna go back to EQ1 style with 4 combat skills: attack, kick, bash and taunt - those days are long gone ( i hope ).

There is no such game with such immersity to have unique skill set even at the highest level. Thats pretty much impossible from both the technical AND development point of view. Imagine if each top level chars would have just one unique skill that noone else has it. And lets assume there are only 1000 players. Imagine how painfull it would be to balance ALL 1000 skills in comparizon to each other... impossible I say. You either make them more or less generic, or you wake up from your dream .

I am the type of player where I like to do everything and anything from time to time.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holodomor - pre-WW2 genocide.
    imageimage