Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

mounts?

will there be mounts in LOTRO? please reply

Comments

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    nope. they said they might add them later.

• MedazzaMedazza Member Posts: 4

Ive been playing EQ2 since launch and just bought my first mount a week ago. So, having a mount is something to work for.. Hey, just look at the fellowship, none of them used horses much, so its ok for me they add them in later. Better to stay focused on the game mechanics etc first. :)

• DrgonzothxDrgonzothx Member Posts: 59

Fellowship never used mounts?  The only time Gandalf isn't using Shadowfax is from Rivendell to Moria.  Yes we aren't introduced to him until Gandalfs return in Fangorn, but through the entire first part of the book Shadowfax is his main source of transportation.  The hobbits left the shire on pony's but lost them during the attack on the prancing pony.   They do however get good old trusty Bill the mule to help them, who they eventually have to let go at the gates of Moria.  So from Moria , thru Lorien to Rohan the fellowship they don't have mounts.  As soon as they get to Rohan however, Strider, Gimli and Legolas are given horses to ride, which they ride to the battles of helms deep, to Isengard and then through the cavern of the dead. 

Mounts play a very important part in the lore of Middle Earth.  An entire race is mount based.  So at launch sure its ok if they don't have mounts, but if they want to stay true to the "lore" they better have mounts by the time Rohan is introduced.

• MedazzaMedazza Member Posts: 4

Originally posted by Drgonzothx

Fellowship never used mounts? 

So, im curiuos.. where in my previous post did i write NEVER ?

Jeez.. *rolleyes*

• DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

lol..

I hear ya Medazza.

I love how people will jump at anything to start a flame war

• paadepaade Member Posts: 471
    No, no mounts, that wouldnt be enough like the books were. Instead they will have teleportation in every stable, you know, just like in the books...

• Wartorn[SC]Wartorn[SC] Member Posts: 97
    Yeah sadly no mounts - but as allready stated above they might come in as an update later on. Though i'm almost certain that we will have to pay for it - possible Add-On?

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by paade
    No, no mounts, that wouldnt be enough like the books were. Instead they will have teleportation in every stable, you know, just like in the books...

It is not a tele in every stable. It is a form of fast transportaion. That you will have to go to the stabel in the shire and unlock it thru a quest probably. Then you have to walk to the next closes stable, i would say bree and unlock it. Then you can fast travel back to the shire. It won't be an instant teleport. There will be a cut scene of a person riding a horse, not sure how long it is, then you will be at the shire. As alot of us have agreed there are certain bending of the lore that has to be done in order to make the game playable. This is one of them. And if you do not want to use fast travel you just don't unlock any of the stables and walk everywere you go.

imageimage

• Distortion0Distortion0 Member Posts: 668
    Wow, I wasn't that interested in this game to begin with but can it really be considered LOTR without at least horses to ride?

Originally posted by Distortion0
    Wow, I wasn't that interested in this game to begin with but can it really be considered LOTR without at least horses to ride?

The current plan is to bring mounts in with ther expansion that includes Rohan. When that is has not been said yet. So we will get mounts just not at launch.

imageimage

• admriker444admriker444 Member Posts: 1,526

Im fine with or without mounts really. For some reason it just doesnt matter to me and Im a huge fan of the lore and books.

If anything, mounts tend to make the world much much smaller.

• aharoniaharoni Member Posts: 7
    I'm ok without mounts before reaching Rohan.

For the arguments about whether mounts were used during the early days of the Fellowship expedition. Remember Bill the Pony? He traveled with the Company through the leagues of Eriador to the West-gate of Moria. It could be argued that he wasn't used primarily as a mount but rather as a burden for carrying items. Regardless, Sam was sure sad to see him go :(
  • TruXurTTruXurT Member UncommonPosts: 18

Originally posted by Medazza

Ive been playing EQ2 since launch and just bought my first mount a week ago. So, having a mount is something to work for.. Hey, just look at the fellowship, none of them used horses much, so its ok for me they add them in later. Better to stay focused on the game mechanics etc first. :)

Well if you want to go by Tolkien's version of events (not Jackson's), the Fellowship did use mounts (ponies) all the way from Buckland to Bree...

But regardless, mounts would be nice but it really all depends how large the world will be and how much time it will take to travel from place A to place B. The idea of 'mounts at future expansion' reminds me of SWG before mounts and vehicles...
  • DabbleDabble Member Posts: 1,043

Originally posted by admriker444

Im fine with or without mounts really. For some reason it just doesnt matter to me and Im a huge fan of the lore and books.

Actually, since there will be no mounts, my guess is the world will be much much smaller than games that do have mounts.

Originally posted by Dabble

Originally posted by admriker444

Actually, since there will be no mounts, my guess is the world will be much much smaller than games that do have mounts.

I wouldn't count on this. Just cause there won't be any mounts at launch doesn't meen the world is going to be real small. I am positive we will all be surprised on the world size.

imageimage

• ElikalElikal Member UncommonPosts: 7,912

The next person starting any answer with "but in the book it was/wasnt that way" I swear I slap!

Seriously, its a game for fun. If the distances are far and quests need much legwork I want a mount. I dont want to spent the entire heroic life walking in a huge world. Its ok not all is there from start, but it should be important and high priority.

Oh an pls make them affordable soon in the game, level-wise. It really sux to have mounts as money sinks, as in wow or eq2, becaus that ONLY serves to feed chinese gold farmers. Believe me, its the no1 reason they get their money.

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert

• paadepaade Member Posts: 471

Originally posted by Grindalyx

Originally posted by paade
    It is not a tele in every stable. It is a form of fast transportaion. That you will have to go to the stabel in the shire and unlock it thru a quest probably. Then you have to walk to the next closes stable, i would say bree and unlock it. Then you can fast travel back to the shire. It won't be an instant teleport. There will be a cut scene of a person riding a horse, not sure how long it is, then you will be at the shire. As alot of us have agreed there are certain bending of the lore that has to be done in order to make the game playable. This is one of them. And if you do not want to use fast travel you just don't unlock any of the stables and walk everywere you go.

So they have teleports to prevent timetaking walking, because everyone has to walk everywhere because they dont have horses, which would prevent walking to everywhere...

To me that sounds: "we just want this shit out as soon as possible, so instead of having a finished product right from the start, we implement stuff afterwards in expansions which of course everyone has to buy".

They do plan on putting in mounts, what i heard is with the rohan expansion. So they don't get around to it at launch. It is one of their big priorities to have mounts in the game. By the time they get to rohan this game will be huge and mounts will be needed.

Fast travel is in the game for those who need to move around quickly. It is not an instant teleport system. From what i understand about it there will be a cut scene were you will see a rider on a horse that will last about a minute then you will be in the desitnation you selected. That is not instant teleporting. Give them a break they are working on a huge license here and can't fit in everything for launch. There has to be sometihngs that are held for later content.

imageimage

• time4killingtime4killing Member Posts: 13

There will not be mounts at the begining of the game.

HOWEVER, i have heard that when some expansions come out you will be able to ride horses so you can be ppl like the rohirrum (or however you spell it)  also with the expansions will come men of the east like harradrim and probably at some point you will be able to play as orcs.

Cheers all

~~~~~Co-Founder of The Guards of Lorien~~~~~

You will already be able to play as orcs in monster play, grant it won't be a persistent playable character but you will still be ablel to play as the evil characters in the books. I also yet have to hear anything on the official forums that men of the east will be entered into the game later. Maybe as mobs for the heros to fight.

imageimage

• Solon22Solon22 Member Posts: 21
    Turbine didn't say 'might', as far as I know unless something else was said just recently, there WILL be mounts in the Rohan expansion. Rohan is the home of the horselords, so it only seemed fitting to put them in there. The reason for the delay is because Turbine wants time to do them right, and not just make it a 'block with four sticks jutting out'. Don't be dismayed that you'll have to wait, instead I would be excited to see the finished product when that expansion comes out, because the graphics so far have been nothing short of awesome.