Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW sinking in the site ratings

gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
Could it be that people are finally beginning to come to their senses?

I am amazed that it actually took as long as it did for WoW's rating to start to fall.  I guess it was some peoples first MMO though.  So they didn't know any better.  Myself included. 

Thank God I had some friends that showed me other MMO's so I could experience the real fun of online gaming. 

===============================

Comments

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

The game is going on 2 years old, it cant be expected to be uptop forever. Plus this argument has been recycled time and time again, the raitings on this site mean nothing. Its just a number that represents how the members of this forum feel about the game. Its not a set-in-stone judgement of the game. DaoC has an 8.2, GuildWars is on the list twice, same goes for CoH/V. And EVE has been at the top for ages, that tells you something.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182
    Nope, it has nothing to do with it. This site is visited by a lot of EVE players. hence the reason EVE is on top. WoW is the most popular game, but also the most hated. a lot of people are jealous of WoW´s success and give it low rates, altough not many will admit that.

WoW isn´t losing any subscribers. in fact, if we can believe mmochart, then the numbers NEVER dropped. they only keep growing and growing. you can´t build a tower without a strong base. not many people are leaving as some haters would like to see.

I consider myself an MMO veteran. I played both western and korean MMO´s. and let me tell you, its been a looooooong time since I had as much fun as I did in WoW. WoW felt right, and it was FUN. it was finally a complete MMO.

Originally posted by Gameloading
    Nope, it has nothing to do with it. This site is visited by a lot of EVE players. hence the reason EVE is on top. WoW is the most popular game, but also the most hated. a lot of people are jealous of WoW´s success and give it low rates, altough not many will admit that.

WoW isn´t losing any subscribers. in fact, if we can believe mmochart, then the numbers NEVER dropped. they only keep growing and growing. you can´t build a tower without a strong base. not many people are leaving as some haters would like to see.

I consider myself an MMO veteran. I played both western and korean MMO´s. and let me tell you, its been a looooooong time since I had as much fun as I did in WoW. WoW felt right, and it was FUN. it was finally a complete MMO.

Yep. Glad im not alone on this one.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• BobCrazytonBobCrazyton Member UncommonPosts: 2,117

Originally posted by Spathotan

Yep it's the only game that keeps me interested at 3 in the morning. Most games lose appeal when I'm dead tired.

My only regret is rolling rogue, thinking they're amazingling powerful (which they kind of are) , and then realizing they're worthless for end game.

• AgewynAgewyn Member Posts: 2

As a PvE MMO its pretty good, however its starting to get into to much of a raid orientated focus with a huge gap between players that can/want to raid and those that cant (and im not calling for casual epics, I raid myself).  When this is taken across to their so called "PvP" it truly fails.  The itemisation between PvP rewards and PvE are so far from each other its not funny (Except maybe WL/GM). 

They should have kept the itemisation different for each play type, e.g. PvP gear designed to boost talents/specs that are purely for PvP with PvE gear aimed at the specs for PvE (obviously not simple to do, but still possible)...

Coming from a good PvP system (DAoC's with a great reward base) I hate having to spend +3-4 hrs 4 days a week to raid with my guild just so i can PvP when they dont need me...

Originally posted by BobCrazyton

Yep it's the only game that keeps me interested at 3 in the morning. Most games lose appeal when I'm dead tired.

My only regret is rolling rogue, thinking they're amazingling powerful (which they kind of are) , and then realizing they're worthless for end game.

I avoid Rouge and Hunter because of the rouge issue there, and because Hunters are generally the same, they offer nothing to the group at all and are a purely selfish class. My highest character is only level 29, im not in any hurry to hit 60, so what I do is always roll alts, right now I have a 19 Warlock, 29 Paladin and a 13 Warrior. Ive been playing for almost 4 months straight and about 7 all together and thats all i have. I had a 33 Paladin on Gilneas but shes been abandoned due to gold farmer invasion.

— Boba Fett

• VexinVexin Member Posts: 297

I avoid Rouge and Hunter because of the rouge issue there, and because Hunters are generally the same, they offer nothing to the group at all and are a purely selfish class. My highest character is only level 29, im not in any hurry to hit 60, so what I do is always roll alts, right now I have a 19 Warlock, 29 Paladin and a 13 Warrior. Ive been playing for almost 4 months straight and about 7 all together and thats all i have. I had a 33 Paladin on Gilneas but shes been abandoned due to gold farmer invasion.

Well, good luck with that.  I did the same thing over a solid year of playing World of Warcraft (out of my six alts, my highest toon is level 45).  It works well for a while, but there's no new content to experience as you create new alts.  It becomes the same thing over and over.  That monotony was what finally caused me to leave WoW.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    As ye SOE, so shall ye weep.

• britocabritoca Member Posts: 1,484

Originally posted by Vexin

Well, good luck with that.  I did the same thing over a solid year of playing World of Warcraft (out of my six alts, my highest toon is level 45).  It works well for a while, but there's no new content to experience as you create new alts.  It becomes the same thing over and over.  That monotony was what finally caused me to leave WoW.

My warlock is 46 and still delicious to play,  did u try those?  They're fun.

Anyways, to the OP: who cares, really.

-virtual tourist
    want your game back?

Well no, I just dont set a specific level for an alt, stop and make another, it just depends on my mood really. The highest level instance ive ever been to is Gnomeregan so i have plenty of stuff left to check out, im not really worried about it. I play with my girlfriend and we rarely have nothing to do.

— Boba Fett

• VexinVexin Member Posts: 297

Originally posted by britoca

My level 45 is an Undead Warlock. 

It was just the continual repeating of content that finally pushed me out the door.  I was never really interested in PvP or end-game (I personally think the concept of "end-game" in an MMO is a contridiction of the spirit of an MMO).

--------------------------------------------------------------------
    As ye SOE, so shall ye weep.

Originally posted by britoca

Lol, yea no kidding. Post topic got kinna derailed here. Back to subject; WoW still has 5 million + players, what a couple of joes and janes on MMORPG.com have to say means nothing.

— Boba Fett

• ianubisiianubisi Member Posts: 4,201

Honestly ask yourself this question: does the rating actually influence your decision to play?

• Pride7Pride7 Member Posts: 289
    The #1 Ranked MMO on this site (Eve) is not even in the top 10 in terms of subscribers according to MMOGCHART.com, so that should show you the correlation between this boards ratings and reality.
  • The current crop of designers at Blizzard has begun to accomplish something very bad: they are turning fanbois into anti-fanbois.  If you would like to see an example of this visit the various SOE is evil threads.  WoW will almost certainly fall off the top ranks on this site (although that means little) since they are losing irrational support and gaining irrational dislike.

You can see people quitting WoW after leveling three chars to 60 and then rating it at 6/10 or 5/10.  I have my problems the current direction of WoW and i do believe they mislead people.  But you played the game that much and admittedly enjoyed it then a 5/10 rating is simply irrational.

I believe that WoW is quickly approaching a point of no-return.  A line will be crossed about 1 or 2 months after Naxx and solidify once some sort of info about 1.12 comes out.  Around that time all hope will be crushed for most people who care about such things.  Fanbois, like any irrationally commited person, will react like spurned lovers and that love will turn to hate.  The less irrational people will simply give up.  I'm not predicting mass cancellations.  People seem to stick around even though they know they shouldn't.  But in regards to the "end-game" the atmosphere will turn decidedly morose and nasty and vitriolic.  You might say "Isn't that the way it is now?".  To that I say you ain't seen nothing yet.  But instead of threads trying to discuss it you will just get a unified front of dismissive insults and most people won't even bother making any thread directly about it but simply mention it in every other thread and throw insults anytime raiding is mentioned.  Expect to see more "QQ more you purple-pride loot queen."

This only applies to the US (possibly europe), probably Chinese subscriptions will continue to grow.

Anyway the point is WoW isn't dropping because of anything to do with honest or astute ratings.  Its going down because they are pissing alot of people off and at the same time eroding the support that kept them up.  If you read some of the ratings a number of people are going back and changing their rating.

• CelestianCelestian Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

Originally posted by Pride7
    The #1 Ranked MMO on this site (Eve) is not even in the top 10 in terms of subscribers according to MMOGCHART.com, so that should show you the correlation between this boards ratings and reality.

So you will believe what mmogchart posts but you won't believe whats on a ranking here? Neither are accurate.

My personal opinion on WoW, it gets old, fast and with the slowest development cycle EVER it's not hard to believe. Pretty much the only new content was raid and to raid in WoW you gotta get in a guild that can field 40 people which is about 70 players.

It's to bad, I was hoping the game would be about PvP/RVR at end game but they pretty much ruined that.

@gestalt11

I agree with the endgame thing and devs are just prolonging the envitable maybe, and Necropolis is just further extention on this. What the devs need to do is start adding some low-mid level instances and just plain content. Hopefully this will come before The Burning Crusade, because if it dosent or it will be  part of the expansion, all hope is lost for the people that need that kind of content. I wont be paying $40-$50 for that expansion if all it will offer me is 2 "new" races and 2 new level 1-10 zones, and thats all its looking like so far.

— Boba Fett

• DimitrioDimitrio Member UncommonPosts: 152

Well is not only about that this site is visited abouta lot of Eve players, is that they like it and think the game they play deserve it.

Second it makes sense, people really are starting to see, what I saw after the free month they gave me when I bought the game, I think WoW is a good game don't get me wrong but is far away from being the best, they made the things simple for gamers that didn't understand the Gnere or the mechanics of the Gnere, so from now the future mmorpg developers will have to thank world of warcraft for expanding the market. Gosh WoW lost to Vanguard in a poll where Vanguard was not included. People complained about about Vanguard not being include but casted their vote by posting.

Dimitrio Darkblade
    Founder Leader of Vitae Essentia
    http://www.veguild.org

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

I think WoW is a good game don't get me wrong but is far away from being the best, they made the things simple for gamers that didn't understand the Gnere or the mechanics of the Gnere, so from now the future mmorpg developers will have to thank world of warcraft for expanding the market
    Agreed totally, good game but far from great. Fun for a couple of months and thats about it. By the way its very encouraging news that people like the OP have come from WoW and are trying other mmos.
  • Pride7Pride7 Member Posts: 289

Originally posted by Celestian

Originally posted by Pride7
    So you will believe what mmogchart posts but you won't believe whats on a ranking here? Neither are accurate.

My personal opinion on WoW, it gets old, fast and with the slowest development cycle EVER it's not hard to believe. Pretty much the only new content was raid and to raid in WoW you gotta get in a guild that can field 40 people which is about 70 players.

It's to bad, I was hoping the game would be about PvP/RVR at end game but they pretty much ruined that.

You really don't believe Eve is in the top 10 in terms of subscribers, do you?  Besides MMOCHART you can reference NPD sales data.  Granted unit sales do not equal subscribers but do you really think Eve has more subs than WOW, EQ2, EQ1, FF, SWG, GW, DAoC, CoH & CoV, UO, Lineage, or Lineage 2?  Now I am sure the fanbois feel that way but that doesn't make it so...  Personally I think AC is the best MMO ever and that isn't even on the list.

People can trash WOW but the truth is it is a GREAT game that appeals to a broad range of players - you can say it sucks or X is better but realize that is your opinion.  The majority of the gamers disagree which is why WOW is #1.

Understand that I played 2 characters to 60 on WOW, got bored then quit before you call me a fanboi.  The difference is I realize that the majority of the players out there aren't hardcore gamers, if you want a game that appeals to hardcore players that is fine but it will never have the success that WOW has.  The #1 PC game of all time is the Sims, I hate the Sims but I respect it for what it is.  A game with broad appeal that does what it does VERY well, the same formula WOW follows.

• SvayvtiSvayvti Member Posts: 160

The top MMOs are top because of asian players, have the world's population lives in two countries in Asia.

I would honestly be surprised if their U.S. market isn't losing steam and dying off. But WoW's overall subscriber base will continue to soar anyways because they add 10 asians for every 1 U.S. player that leaves. Just as when Starcraft was dying off in the U.S., sales were still soaring in east asia.

• LasraikLasraik Member Posts: 170

Originally posted by Svayvti

The top MMOs are top because of asian players, have the world's population lives in two countries in Asia.
    I would honestly be surprised if their U.S. market isn't losing steam and dying off. But WoW's overall subscriber base will continue to soar anyways because they add 10 asians for every 1 U.S. player that leaves. Just as when Starcraft was dying off in the U.S., sales were still soaring in east asia.

Aye, a large percentage of WoWs population isn't in the states.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    it could be due to people playing wow for a few weeks; then, coming here and giving it glowing reviews.  THEN, two months later, they're sick of it, drop everything to 1s and voila, we have a slowly sinking wow in this site's rankings.

after all 5 billion chinese can't be wrong, can they?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• RazorbackRazorback Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 5,253
    To my own surprise Im actually back playing WoW again now, although only a few hours heere and there. Its definately the best MMO on the market right now. Love it or hate it, its a fact.

+-+-+-+-+-+
    "MMOs, for people that like think chatting is like a skill or something, rotflol"
    http://purepwnage.com
    -+-+-+-+-+-+
    "Far away across the field, the tolling of the iron bell, calls the faithful to their knees. To hear the softly spoken magic spell" Pink Floyd-Dark Side of the Moon

• Originally posted by Svayvti

I have a very strong suspicion that WoW has lost a substantial chunk of US players and are bleeding US players are a fiarly nasty rate.  However I suspect they are gaining in China at a probably greater rate.  However I also  have a strong suspicion they are growing a very large population of US anti-fanbois.  Wow fanbois have always particularly virulent and the anti-fanbois will probably be jsut as bad.  I suspect the US-based anti-fanboi thing will eventually destroy the most valuable thing Blizzard had; its good press/reputation.  Financially they may do fine as Asia will most likely prop them up for some time to come.  PR wise Pardo/Kaplan are running them into the ground.
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by Razorback
    To my own surprise Im actually back playing WoW again now, although only a few hours heere and there. Its definately the best MMO on the market right now. Love it or hate it, its a fact.

no, it's the most popular one on the market right now.  THAT is a fact. 

it is FAR from the best.  games like COx are getting the clue and statesman is no longer in control with his mysterious and ever changing vision.  they also add a lot and are slowly trying to change the bad parts of their game.  this game i go back to and check every now and then to see if the latest issue finally put in the variety i want. 

wow, well, as long as laurel and hardy, i mean pardo and kaplan, are there--there's no reason to even joke about reupping my sub -- as long as those two ass clowns are around, wow will just be a pathetic eq-clone. but it looks pretty and has bright colors~!!   gooooooooo colors~!!

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?