Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE Will Buy Sigil Eventually

Comments

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by n2sooners
    I predict that the Saints will win the Super Bowl eventually

Oh come on... that ain't gonna happen with the Heart of Gold's Improbibility Drive smacked right in the middle of the field on Superbowl Sunday.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926

Originally posted by Shayde

Originally posted by n2sooners
    I predict that the Saints will win the Super Bowl eventually

Oh come on... that ain't gonna happen with the Heart of Gold's Improbibility Drive smacked right in the middle of the field on Superbowl Sunday.

But with the word eventually thrown in there, I will never be wrong, but I may someday be right.

image image

Originally posted by jonaku

Originally posted by Fadeus

It's not like Brad hasn't decided to move on after finishing development of a game before or something. ::::02::

exactly. good point.

Actually, it isn't a very good point at all. Brad has never owned the company or game he is developing.

image image

• pingofdeathpingofdeath Member Posts: 83
    I don't see how it would be the end of the world if SOE bought out Sigil.  Let's look at their big 4 games: EQ, EQ2, SWG, and PS.  PS was always broken and there's nothing that can be done about it.  Good idea horrible exicution.  SWG needed some fixing but was botched in the process.  Thanks George Lucas.  Neither of those really make SOE a "big evil company."  EQ and EQ2 are both shining examples of how SOE actually DOES respond to player feedback.  EQ was dumbed down pretty heavily but only because that was what the community was wanting.  The changes like those in SoL and PoP made the game easier for casual players, who, like many casuals in WoW, burn out after reaching max level.  Hardcores didn't like the changes and quit.  The community got what it asked for.  In EQ2, the game has actually DRASTICALLY improved because of SOE's responding to customer feedback.  SOE just gets a bad rap, IMO.  While I'd like to see Sigil remain it's own company, SOE taking over wouldn't really be a huge deal.  That is, unless the community wines a la EQ and the game is dumbed down.  Stupid noobs.

Insert generic anime quote/My Chemical Romance lyrics here.

• DarthMindDarthMind Member Posts: 14

Originally posted by pingofdeath
    I don't see how it would be the end of the world if SOE bought out Sigil.  Let's look at their big 4 games: EQ, EQ2, SWG, and PS.  PS was always broken and there's nothing that can be done about it.  Good idea horrible exicution.  SWG needed some fixing but was botched in the process.  Thanks George Lucas.  Neither of those really make SOE a "big evil company."  EQ and EQ2 are both shining examples of how SOE actually DOES respond to player feedback.  EQ was dumbed down pretty heavily but only because that was what the community was wanting.  The changes like those in SoL and PoP made the game easier for casual players, who, like many casuals in WoW, burn out after reaching max level.  Hardcores didn't like the changes and quit.  The community got what it asked for.  In EQ2, the game has actually DRASTICALLY improved because of SOE's responding to customer feedback.  SOE just gets a bad rap, IMO.  While I'd like to see Sigil remain it's own company, SOE taking over wouldn't really be a huge deal.  That is, unless the community wines a la EQ and the game is dumbed down.  Stupid noobs.

Sounds like another sympathizer o.0

However I beg to differ on some of your views. Yes it does make them a evil company. WHY? Becuase a company that had some sense of honor (being asian in decent myself, not to mention the company origins from the asian continant) then it wouldn't have done the dishonorable thing of hiding things from it's own employees. Point? No one, NO ONE, save a few uppers, know about the NGE they were planning on SWG until two weeks before it's release. A company that doesn't trust it's own employees that WORK on the game, including the profession specific ones that would have and were eliminated when NGE hit, is point in fact, UP TO NO GOOD. They issued out plans for CH and Commanders and other things that never had any intent to execute prior to NGE, smugglers, Oh dont' even mention that since they seem to have never been fixed since launch (I was an armorsmith, I can only repeat what my guild mates told me of smuggler).

Points all indicate that in fact it IS an evil company. Run by Lord Smedley. He even sacrificed Lady Tiggs to save face, throwing her to the wolves until she quit and went to turbine o_0 what kinda company do you call that!

An honest company would stand up and say "yes, we screwed up, we're sorry" of course thats seldom happened, save the disney-robin williams thing and the recent Mortal Kombat movie where they said the same thing literally.

Leads us to the point that a majority of companies are evil, but seldom to the extent that SOE is.

Someone needs to stop them.

<bows>
  • qotsaqotsa Member UncommonPosts: 835
    I agree with pingofdeath. SWG never really was all that good. SOE and LA took chances to try making it better and failed. Can't speak for planetside, as I never made it out of beta. EQ2 I was never really fond of. But I can speak for EQ, all they've really done is make the game better. EQ was great, but there were flaws. Besides wasn't verant, just basically a sub-division of SOE? SOE wasn't sure how the game would do so they turned them lose to make it?

EQ, people bitch about them making so many expansions. It boggles my mind how people bitch for more to do, then people bitch when they are given what they asked for. Only in America, I tell you. I also don't think their customer service is as bad as it's made out to be. Have I had problems? Sure, but customer service is like pulling straws with any company. There are times you get someone who just doesn't care. There are also times when you get someone who does, but the customer is so blinded by rage they swear at the reps, demand this, demand that, put them down. Now I've worked in customer service for a major company and I can tell you that these people never got too far with me. Some people are just too immature to have social interactions. Hell I just went througha n ordeal with with SOE,trying to go back to EQ, at first they basically told me to piss off. I emailed them once again explaining things in greater detail and guess what? Problem was fixed and apology issued.

From what I understand they "bitched" becuase they were more focused on throwing more shiney things in your face then fixing bugs and exploits.

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Originally posted by DarthMind

Originally posted by pingofdeath
    Sounds like another sympathizer o.0

However I beg to differ on some of your views. Yes it does make them a evil company. WHY? Becuase a company that had some sense of honor (being asian in decent myself, not to mention the company origins from the asian continant) then it wouldn't have done the dishonorable thing of hiding things from it's own employees. Point? No one, NO ONE, save a few uppers, know about the NGE they were planning on SWG until two weeks before it's release. A company that doesn't trust it's own employees that WORK on the game, including the profession specific ones that would have and were eliminated when NGE hit, is point in fact, UP TO NO GOOD. They issued out plans for CH and Commanders and other things that never had any intent to execute prior to NGE, smugglers, Oh dont' even mention that since they seem to have never been fixed since launch (I was an armorsmith, I can only repeat what my guild mates told me of smuggler).

Points all indicate that in fact it IS an evil company. Run by Lord Smedley. He even sacrificed Lady Tiggs to save face, throwing her to the wolves until she quit and went to turbine o_0 what kinda company do you call that!

An honest company would stand up and say "yes, we screwed up, we're sorry" of course thats seldom happened, save the disney-robin williams thing and the recent Mortal Kombat movie where they said the same thing literally.

Leads us to the point that a majority of companies are evil, but seldom to the extent that SOE is.

Someone needs to stop them.

<bows>

Evil... You're throwing that word around alot.

I think killing innocent people is Evil... keeping a secret, no. No it isn't. Employee's aren't required to know every bit of direction that a buisness is taking. They're employees! They get paid to do what they are told! If they don't do what they are told they are fired.

Messing up a video game is hardly evil. Stupid...possibly. Not evil. If you didn't like their changes, vote with your wallet. If enough of you don't like what they did and follow suit, they'll get the hint and fix it. Otherwise, you're just whinging.

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Vengeful
    I think killing innocent people is Evil... keeping a secret, no. No it isn't. Employee's aren't required to know every bit of direction that a buisness is taking. They're employees! They get paid to do what they are told! If they don't do what they are told they are fired.
    Messing up a video game is hardly evil. Stupid...possibly. Not evil. If you didn't like their changes, vote with your wallet. If enough of you don't like what they did and follow suit, they'll get the hint and fix it. Otherwise, you're just whinging.

I completely agree with you on this one.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

Originally posted by Vengeful

Yet decieving your employees is not honest business practice is it? I'm failing to see where your justifying the misleading reports to millions as a "tolerable" move on the part of anyone. Save our president, apparently they voted on that and it's legal :P
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by FadeusOriginally posted by VengefulEvil... You're throwing that word around alot. I think killing innocent people is Evil... keeping a secret, no. No it isn't. Employee's aren't required to know every bit of direction that a buisness is taking. They're employees! They get paid to do what they are told! If they don't do what they are told they are fired.Messing up a video game is hardly evil. Stupid...possibly. Not evil. If you didn't like their changes, vote with your wallet. If enough of you don't like what they did and follow suit, they'll get the hint and fix it. Otherwise, you're just whinging.
    Yet decieving your employees is not honest business practice is it? I'm failing to see where your justifying the misleading reports to millions as a "tolerable" move on the part of anyone. Save our president, apparently they voted on that and it's legal :P

Where have you seen any evidence of the employees being mislead? And please explain to me what millions were mislead.

Sony mislead its userbase with the NGE changes. However as Vengeful stated already, it's a video game. You give your approval with your wallet and that is the bottom line. It's a frivalous expense, people can waste their money how they wish and that is exactly what has happenned here. When SOE starts losing to much money they will change their practices.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SinisterCBSinisterCB Member Posts: 302

Originally posted by SpiritofGame
    So ... just wondering.
    If you just agree with a troll to make him happy, will he just go away eventually?

LOL good one...So what's the good word?

"I'm not a racist...I only hate stupid people..."-SinisterCB

• jonakujonaku Member Posts: 281

Originally posted by VengefulEvil... You're throwing that word around alot. I think killing innocent people is Evil... keeping a secret, no. No it isn't. Employee's aren't required to know every bit of direction that a buisness is taking. They're employees! They get paid to do what they are told! If they don't do what they are told they are fired.Messing up a video game is hardly evil. Stupid...possibly. Not evil. If you didn't like their changes, vote with your wallet. If enough of you don't like what they did and follow suit, they'll get the hint and fix it. Otherwise, you're just whinging.

Where have you seen any evidence of the employees being mislead? And please explain to me what millions were mislead.

Sony mislead its userbase with the NGE changes. However as Vengeful stated already, it's a video game. You give your approval with your wallet and that is the bottom line. It's a frivalous expense, people can waste their money how they wish and that is exactly what has happenned here. When SOE starts losing to much money they will change their practices.

So we can agree that SOE has made mistakes on its handlng of SWG. The point is Sigil is telling folks "Hey, for you folks who don't trust SOE, please, you have nothing to worry about, because SOE has no control over the game. So please calm down. The game is fully under our control. The big bad SOE won't touch the code of this game at all so you have nothing to worry about."

Then Sigll releases game in Dec 2006.

Then SOE buys Sigil in Sep 2007.

And the 9 months you just invested into Vanguard goes down the drain by Oct 2007 because SOE starts cutting back dev support and dumbing down the game to attract casual users because Vanguard only has 200 K subscribers. And all your character skills and loot that you spent 9 months acquiring becomes useless as a result.

And then I come back here and say "I told you so." :)

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

So we can agree that SOE has made mistakes on its handlng of SWG. The point is Sigil is telling folks "Hey, for you folks who don't trust SOE, please, you have nothing to worry about, because SOE has no control over the game. So please calm down. The game is fully under our control. The big bad SOE won't touch the code of this game at all so you have nothing to worry about."

And the 9 months you just invested into Vanguard goes down the drain by Oct 2007 because SOE starts cutting back dev support and dumbing down the game to attract casual users because Vanguard only has 200 K subscribers. And all your character skills and loot that you spent 9 months acquiring becomes useless as a result.

Ok, and now will you shut up about it till then?

Originally posted by anarchyart

Ok, and now will you shut up about it till then?

You must be a vanguard fanboi. I can tell by your attempt to silence me.

And no, I will not shut up about it till then. In fact, I'll be sure to ratchet it up next week as a tribute to your fanboism.

• HavokRainerHavokRainer Member Posts: 6
    Sigil must realize that SOE is the laughingstock of the entire gaming world, and i pray that they don't let SOE get their hands completely into this game.

Originally posted by HavokRainer
    Sigil must realize that SOE is the laughingstock of the entire gaming world, and i pray that they don't let SOE get their hands completely into this game.

Yes, I am sure they know that SOE with it's hundreds of thousands of monthly subscribers is a laughing stock of the industry and that they should have stayed with MS and their.... exactly how many MMO subscribers does MS have right now? I believe their last MMO was AC2, how is that one doing again?

image image

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Originally posted by HavokRainer

More likely Sigil will go the "SOE destroyed Vanguard" route and blame them for any issues or lacking areas. Next is to form a new company with empty promises, just like they formed Sigil.

SOE is just doing the calculated risk thign with Vanguard to either buy out EQ/EQ2s competition if it is a success, or kill it off if it fails and boasting EQ2 was a better game because developed in house. I won't be blaming SOE for Vanguard's failures personally, that rests on Sigil.

Of course everything rests on Sigil. Unless SOE screws up the servers or fails to deliver the boxes to the store, they have no impact on the game whatsoever.

image image

• dinkdink Member Posts: 438

jonaku - I find it interesting that you are called a troll by the fanboys even though you post a well thought out opinion and link to a story that is the basis of that opinion.

In any case, I'm not sure you will see it happen because Vanguard was really icky/boring at E3.

• matraquematraque Member Posts: 1,431

For those of you who argue "I hate SOE too, but SOE is just doing hosting and markeitng for Sigil", then I have news for you.
    In this thread http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51136 I believe, Jon Grande, the VP of Business Development, has twice said that it is possible that SOE may someday acquire Sigil. He says it's unlikely to happen, but he is very careful to explicitly say that is a possibility... twice.
    You have to understand that folks like Grande have private equity in Sigil. If SOE buys out Sigil, then people like Grande could probably retire as millionaires from this one transaction. As a result, Grande and others in the Sigil company that are not yet milliionaires like McQuaid, have a fiduciary interest in SOE eventually buying out Sigil.
    The fact is that McQuaid has called Smedley one of his best friends. He has said that he disagrees with some of SOE's moves in the past, but he speaks of it in a very morally neutral manner.
    In terms of the partnership, they kept emphasizing that they partnered with SOE because they know and trust the people there.
    Many times, before an M&A happens, 2 companies will engage in a strategic partnership so that high level executives from both sides will get to know each other and develop trust before a full on acquisition happens.
    Smedley knows that growth is tapped out on EQ2, EQ, PlanetSide and SWG. None of these games will make SOE a giant in the MMO space like it used to be. So what do executives like that do when they can't grow organically? That's right. They go on a buying spree. Do not be surprised if Smedley buys out Sigil and Gods & Heroes and maybe some other smaller MMOs so that he can expand the "value" of the Station Pass.
    If Smedley can't organically grow into the MMO marketplace, he has the money from Sony to buy his way into it.

I don't care.  SOE only destroyed SWG IMO... their other games are ok.

eqnext.wikia.com

Originally posted by dink

jonaku - I find it interesting that you are called a troll by the fanboys even though you post a well thought out opinion and link to a story that is the basis of that opinion.

thank u for your kind words. and i agree. it's almost as if the stereotype of the rabid vanboi who trolls any criticism of the game is true. weird, huh?
  • pmcubedpmcubed Member Posts: 289
    I once read some press interview from the SOE vice-president.  He said something to the effect that the gaming industry has become very competative and it is not just competing against rival games, but TV, movies, or anything that would possibly take people away from games.  Basically that gaming has become just as much of family entertainment as TV or movies.  Each mediums are competing for your time.

I think the entire problem with gaming is that they create a budget and time-limit for whatever they are producing and more often than not they aren't able to produce their original conception with all its glory in an efficient time-span.  We read about these games pre-release and we are influenced by what is promised.  It always seems awesome, until you get to actually try it.  I've had terrible experiences with SOE as many have, but looking at a business point of view, you cant blame them for trying to survive.  They have to compete against more than just other MMO's or other PC titles.

I think gaming companies are always going to produce half-ass products as long as there are people willing to be drawn into their great advertising.  RFO was a good example, seems like a great idea, but there wasn't enough time and money put into the project.  Customers were left hanging, those who continued just figured CM would put out patches and add content, but without money the process is that much slower.

I think they should allow commercials in-game!  Imagine the GnogginFoggers quest in WoW becoming the Pepsi quest.  Once you get a few items from some monsters, the NPC will start selling Pepsi to you to quence your Orc-sized thirst!~

Originally posted by Vyava

SOE is just doing the calculated risk thign with Vanguard to either buy out EQ/EQ2s competition if it is a success, or kill it off if it fails and boasting EQ2 was a better game because developed in house.

I agree, this is SOE's intent. Sigil has gotten into bed with SOE and it's totally misleading for them to trapse around saying "oh, don't worry, we control development" when they know full well that 6 to 12 months after public launch of the game, SOE may just buy them out and ruin the game from there. And all that time you invested in your character in Vanguard for 6 to 12 months? It will go out the window, just like it did in SWG NGE. SOE will rewrite the combat mechanics and make all your weapons and armor accumulated useless and force you to treadmill all over again.
  • wyzwunwyzwun Member Posts: 328

Originally posted by IcoGames

Originally posted by anarchyart

Not saying they will or won't, however it wouldn't suprise me if they did in 2 years.

I would think you would be above this sort of thing, saddens me that you're not. Speculating along with the trolls makes you a troll. Nothing can be gained from this except you spreading the anti-SOE gospel, of which Vanguard deserves none.

AA, shouldn't you be attending to your 'Guild Wars Sucks' thread? ^_^

I can't see SOE taking ownership of Vanguard. Imo, SOE will move more to a hosting company, and away from developing their own games.

I am not sure if I see that. I don’t think renting out infrastructure (IE Co-location) is profitable on the scale it would take to make SoE … well SoE.

I remember before the burst when Co-loco was the future, and then poof, all that infrastructure was never used. Companies like Exodus and such … chap 11…

I just don’t see this, does SoE need a top-flight development house? Sure, but even if they do buy Sigil… that wouldn’t fix there problems.

Rites of the Four Horsemen
    http://www.rotfh.com