Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Having Trouble getting into the game

KamolahyKamolahy Member Posts: 23

I like a lot about Lineage 2, but there's a few things that may break the game for me. I'm new, so I wanted to present them here to see if there's a way to get around them.

1. The controls. Is there absolutely no WASD control interface? The click and move style worked for games like Diablo, mainly because you didn't have to move a camera around. But when you mix the two together, it's a nightmare...

2. The Crowded City - This game is beautiful but it's a complete nightmare when in Giran!!! I can't stand the serious amount my computer slows down when in that city. Also, I can't click anywhere without either getting stuck because people are in the way, or accidentally clicking on their shop.. annoying as hell.

3. Those "Bodyguard" guys that just straight kill me when i'm super low lvl. What's the deal with that? Why can't I just play? Why isn't there a penalty for ppl griefing low lvl characters who have no chance against them. I was in the newb zone trying to kill some wolves or something easy like that.. every time i got more than 50 steps outside the town I got smoked by some guy. It sux...

Are these issues avoidable? Should I take my gameplay elsewhere??

Other than that, the game is beautiful and intriguing.

Oh, and what the hell do I do at low lvls.. it seems so open, that there's no real direction.

Teh blog to end all MMO blogs
http://mmoevolution.blogspot.com

Comments

• enzymeenzyme Member UncommonPosts: 464

What server are you on and what level are you?

Current Games:

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787

Originally posted by Kamolahy

1. The controls. Is there absolutely no WASD control interface? The click and move style worked for games like Diablo, mainly because you didn't have to move a camera around. But when you mix the two together, it's a nightmare...

Well, it takes some getting used to, but it shouldn't be a nightmare.  You simply use your mouse right button and swivel your view around ... pretty easy.  Yes, it's different from WASD, but once you're used to it, it gets pretty intuitive.

2. The Crowded City - This game is beautiful but it's a complete nightmare when in Giran!!! I can't stand the serious amount my computer slows down when in that city. Also, I can't click anywhere without either getting stuck because people are in the way, or accidentally clicking on their shop.. annoying as hell.
    Yes in the more populated towns the amount of shops can be an issue.   What are you doing in Giran, if you are a new player?

3. Those "Bodyguard" guys that just straight kill me when i'm super low lvl. What's the deal with that? Why can't I just play? Why isn't there a penalty for ppl griefing low lvl characters who have no chance against them. I was in the newb zone trying to kill some wolves or something easy like that.. every time i got more than 50 steps outside the town I got smoked by some guy. It sux...The way it works is that once they kill you, they turn "red" for a time, meaning they can be attacked by anyone without that attacker becoming red, and if they are killed they have a good chance of dropping their armour or weapon ... pretty undesirable consequences unless you are willing to run that risk.  Lineage 2 is a wide-open PvP game, and you have to like that kind of environment to like L2.  There are consequences to ganking people, as I point out above.

Oh, and what the hell do I do at low lvls.. it seems so open, that there's no real direction.
    It is a wide open game.  Best thing you can do at low level is (1) do the quests that are open to you in the newbie village and (2) go and grind mobs that are green to you so that you level.  Use the newbie magic that's available until level 25, it will speed your levelling substantially through the low levels.

But, yes, Lineage 2 is not like WoW or EQ2 where you are following a more or less scripted, progressive path.  It's a levelling game, but as for where and how you choose to level that's your call ... some people like that, and some people don't.

• KamolahyKamolahy Member Posts: 23

Thanks for the info. I'm a new player and I'm on Bartz...

I don't mind grinding and I love the idea of progression. I like PvP but when there are high lvl chars that grief low lvl characters then what's the benefit?

Teh blog to end all MMO blogs
    http://mmoevolution.blogspot.com

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

I like a lot about Lineage 2, but there's a few things that may break the game for me. I'm new, so I wanted to present them here to see if there's a way to get around them.
    Arrow keys move you like WASD although its not as responsive. You will get use to point and click. Whats not easy about that? You will need to battle the camera if you use the keys. Point and click makes combat much easier to manage trust me on that.
    I gotta echo the question, "if you are new, what are you doing in Giran?"
    3. Those "Bodyguard" guys that just straight kill me when i'm super low lvl. What's the deal with that? Why can't I just play? Why isn't there a penalty for ppl griefing low lvl characters who have no chance against them. I was in the newb zone trying to kill some wolves or something easy like that.. every time i got more than 50 steps outside the town I got smoked by some guy. It sux...
    Well by "bodyguard, Im assuming you mean the town guards?
    If you are RED everyone thinks YOU are the griefer. The town guard will kill you also when you are RED.
    Here is a link to how PvP works in L2
    http://www.lineage2.com/Knowledge/cp.html 
    Are these issues avoidable? Should I take my gameplay elsewhere??
    Well, if it has to do with you being "RED" then its about 100% avoidable.

Other than that, the game is beautiful and intriguing.

Talk to the NPC's like in any other MMO. Many of them have quest and kill task. The first NPC that was standing in front of you at character creation should have pointed you in the right direction. Your trainer should have quest for you also....you are going to have to actually "look" for them, no big neon signs and light trails pointing to quest in this game.
     Also talk to the newbie helper, he will give you buffs and you can trade in your gear for better gear and only pay the difference not full price.
    I think most of the races have a really nice NG weapon quest in the starter zones. That weapon should take you to lvl 20. The Dwarf gets a Hammer and the Humans get the sword of solidarity and the Orcs get a set of punching weapons. Im not sure on the other races. 
    L2 is a game you need to do a bit of research on or you will not do to well unless you have some experienced friends already ingame to help you out.
    Once you hit 20, that economy is gonna punch you square in the nose if you aren't watching.
    Also at 20, I hope you are aware that you will need to do a class transfer quest. Look it up.

Thanks for the info. I'm a new player and I'm on Bartz...
    I don't mind grinding and I love the idea of progression. I like PvP but when there are high lvl chars that grief low lvl characters then what's the benefit?
    NONE
    The griefer will turn RED and and he will be "open season" for anyone who can kill him. When a RED dies he has a very high chance of dropping an item from inventory.(including his armor)
    There is no benefit from griefing other then just being a "meanie" Its actually risky to be a griefer in L2.

• MaxxxMaxxx Member UncommonPosts: 389
    dont' get why people think all high level people grief low levels.

its just 1 person and some times the person isn't even high level they just like to PK people =/

Originally posted by Maxxx
    dont' get why people think all high level people grief low levels.

Because most people never played L2 and have no idea what they are talking about

its just 1 person and some times the person isn't even high level they just like to PK people =/

I don't know anyone personally in L2 who would even waste 1 minute messing with noobs. You would have to traval ALLLL the way back to the starter areas to begin with and for what? To kill some self important noob that thinks the game revolves around him and listen to him boo hoo about it and how X game is way better because it doesn't "allow" that??? (or worse then that, you kill a powerful players alt and get yourself into some hot water with a powerful guild) Its the people who don't know anything about L2 who do / complain about that sort of crap. 

F*ck that, let the noobs fend for themselves. Most of those WoW kids don't survive past 20 anyway.

(In the starter areas its probably some lvl 15 - 20 (your "high level") noob going around killing the lower noobs and everyone there thinks thats how the game is played lol)

• JodandoJodando Member Posts: 280
    Really... I really don't see much of a benefit for griefers, especially for such a system that L2 utilizes.

Although killing farming bots is understandable...

But even that's a bit dangerous.