Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Vanguard and AMD x2

CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I just bought me a AMD x2 4200 (hooray).

While seeing little benefit with older games like WoW and EQ2 i have read that the unreal 3 engine was built specifically for dual core processing.

So my question is this. Is Vanguard going to take advantage of the engines ability to use dual core technology to enhance its performance? If so this would truly make Vanguard the first next generation MMO. Anyone know?

Comments

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646
    First of all Vanguard is using a heavily modified Unreal 2 engine. So what Unreal Engine 3 does, doesn't apply for Vanguard 

All games that are released will have to support and reflect the current hardware. So when Vanguard is released Dual core processors will be pretty common. Unless the devs are totally retarted, something they aren't.

If the game "uses" dual core processors is a whole different story. I'm not sure if Vanguard will do that. The core of the engine is from the pre dual core days. But that doesn't have to mean that it won't use dual core processors. If the devs are smart they will add true dual core support. If the game uses the dual core processors it doesn't make it a true next generation mmo. Next generation mmo's are determined by their gameplay, not what next generation hardware they support.

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

damn i thought it used unreal 3 :(

to me next generation means better perfomance with better game play. to me that means the technology behind it.

Guess i'll have to find a game built on unreal 3 engine to see my dual core hum.

• PhoenixsPhoenixs Member Posts: 2,646

Originally posted by Copeland

to me next generation means better perfomance with better game play. to me that means the technology behind it.
    Guess i'll have to find a game built on unreal 3 engine to see my dual core hum.

It can still use dual core processors. Even if it's not running on Unreal 3. It's up to the programmers.

Originally posted by Phoenixs

Originally posted by Copeland
    It can still use dual core processors. Even if it's not running on Unreal 3. It's up to the programmers.

Yeah but from what i have read it won't be able to maximize its use. Even games like EQ2 and WoW use some it but mainly they just split sound off to the other processor.. at least thats what i've been reading. I just got my box i haven't actually looked at what the 2nd cpu is doing while i play EQ2.. something to check tonight if i remember too lol.

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Originally posted by Phoenixs
    First of all Vanguard is using a heavily modified Unreal 2 engine. So what Unreal Engine 3 does, doesn't apply for Vanguard 

All games that are released will have to support and reflect the current hardware. So when Vanguard is released Dual core processors will be pretty common. Unless the devs are totally retarted, something they aren't.

If the game "uses" dual core processors is a whole different story. I'm not sure if Vanguard will do that. The core of the engine is from the pre dual core days. But that doesn't have to mean that it won't use dual core processors. If the devs are smart they will add true dual core support. If the game uses the dual core processors it doesn't make it a true next generation mmo. Next generation mmo's are determined by their gameplay, not what next generation hardware they support.

Actually, the "Heavily Modified Unreal 2" engine already includes parts from the Unreal 3 engine, and beings that they have been working heavily with the Unreal developers, have engineerd the game so that it will make a very easy transition in the not so distant future. Dual Core will help with Vanguard, just not yet. =)   Lemme go find the quotes...

When asked about the current engine and future transitions-

Our Director of Technology Ryan Elam is great friends with Tim Sweeny and has been for over a decade. They talk and share ideas all of the time. Bits of 3.0 are already in Vanguard, and some of Vanguard is already in 3.0 to my knowledge. Also, we have full access to 3.0 code and tools and our programmers are architecting the Vanguard engine with a future transition into using more and more 3.0 tech in mind. -Brad McQuaid

Other Info Listed on the Silky Venom FAQ about Dual Processors and Vanguard-

1. Dual core already works fine. That said, we've not finished moving things to different threads to fully take advantage of it, so it will just get better. I run a 3.2EE dual core at home and use it to play almost nightly.

2. Just ran Vanguard the other day on a 64 bit CPU on XP 64. Ran fine. Some who had used the box more claimed it ran faster, but I didn't notice a huge difference. This was a 32 bit client (Vanguard) running on a 64 bit chip and OS. We hope to release a true 64 bit client at some point as well.

3. We have it running on SLI machines. Runs fine. SLI mostly helps with fill rate, and depending on which build we're on, we're poly or passes or fill rate or cpu bound, so how much it helps varies as well But this will be sorted out well before release.
    4. We have it running on various machines with fast ram.

Source: Aradune Mithara

It already does to some degree and we plan to, as we finish up the game and optimize, to continue to architect it such that it will more and more.

It also runs great, or so I've been told by serveral people, on XP 64, even though the beta .exe is 32 bit.

We hope to have both a 32 and 64 bit client available, as well as support both XP and Vista.

Source: Aradune Mithara

Help a friend. Use a FAQ.

Sounds great thanks for looking all that up for my lazy ass :P

• TuvarinTuvarin Member Posts: 11

Even if the game you are playing doesn't support multi-core processors (or dual processors, which is essentially the same), you may still benefit from a multi-core processor.  Even if you have no other applications running other than the game you are playing, there are still processes running in the background on your PC.If you don't believe me, shut down all the apps on your PC and then right-click the task bar, choose "Task Manager" and click on the "Processes" tab.  You'll probably see 30 or more processes running.  With a dual-core processor, the operating system can shift some of the processing for the background processes to the other core leaving the core that's running the game more cycles to commit to running your game.However, the bus speed of the dual core processors is usually less than that of a single core processor by about 25%.  An AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800+ dual core processor runs each core at 2.0Ghz.  An AMD Athlon 64 3800+ processor runs at 2.4Ghz.  Most game benchmarks show the single core processors out performing the dual core processors on games.  You can check Tom's Hardware for an interactive benchmark comparison.