Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SWG at 190k subs?

Comments

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by admriker444

And I don't think the game is where it needs to be yet to aquire new subs. But it's getting there with each and every publish.

I don't think I'll ever be quite where you're at as far as hating SOE, but this statement I have quoted is both good and horrendously bad. Good, because it shows they are dedicated to working on the game and 'listening to players™'.  But bad because, a company that bears the name Sony should have had the game where it needs to be to aquire new subs BEFORE IT WENT LIVE!!!

Imagine, Norton coming out and saying "We're making Norton Antivirus into a Firewall. Catch is, what they come out with isn't finished, yet they keep charging you every month and say it won't be done for a while. Say a year.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Obraik
    Says who?  You can't quote someone as a reliable source in one sentence and then go and say the exact opposite thing in the next sentence.

ROFL don't you love when they do that Obraik? The art of Spin.

• SquidiSquidi Member Posts: 419

Here is your proof once again Squidi....
    Smedley wrote on March 24th 2006
    The SWG community has been voting with it's feet since the NGE came about. Either we end up being right about our ability to turn the ship around and make a game that's BETTER than it was before, or we were wrong and we fail. Either way we were losing subs before the NGE and believe it or not, we are losing them at a slower rate than before. I'm not going to pretend we didn't lose a bunch of subs from this. We did. And I don't think the game is where it needs to be yet to aquire new subs. But it's getting there with each and every publish.

I doubt in the 9 weeks since his statement that the game magically started growing again. It hasnt grown in 2 years so why would anyone think the game in its current inferior state would now ?
    checkmate, you lose

It's simple. If they were losing subs at a greater rate than they were gaining subs, the net result is that the game is shrinking. If they are gaining subs at a greater rate than they are losing subs, the game is growing. There are only so many vets that can quit the game in disgust, and after six months, I think it's fair to say that those that were going to leave have already left. Less people are leaving. The number of players coming in doesn't even have to be that great so long as it is more than those leaving.

Also, you have to factor what has happened in those 9 weeks. Two publishes and a very anticipated one one test.

I can't say for sure that all these players are vets or complete newbies. I can't say for sure that they will stay once their one month subscription is up. What I can say is that there is a VERY noticable difference in the population over the past month on Ahazi. I'm not sure why that's so difficult to take.
  • ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776

Originally posted by Squidi

The SWG community has been voting with it's feet since the NGE came about. Either we end up being right about our ability to turn the ship around and make a game that's BETTER than it was before, or we were wrong and we fail. Either way we were losing subs before the NGE and believe it or not, we are losing them at a slower rate than before. I'm not going to pretend we didn't lose a bunch of subs from this. We did. And I don't think the game is where it needs to be yet to aquire new subs. But it's getting there with each and every publish.

I doubt in the 9 weeks since his statement that the game magically started growing again. It hasnt grown in 2 years so why would anyone think the game in its current inferior state would now ?
    checkmate, you lose

It's simple. If they were losing subs at a greater rate than they were gaining subs, the net result is that the game is shrinking. If they are gaining subs at a greater rate than they are losing subs, the game is growing. There are only so many vets that can quit the game in disgust, and after six months, I think it's fair to say that those that were going to leave have already left. Less people are leaving. The number of players coming in doesn't even have to be that great so long as it is more than those leaving.

Also, you have to factor what has happened in those 9 weeks. Two publishes and a very anticipated one one test.

I can't say for sure that all these players are vets or complete newbies. I can't say for sure that they will stay once their one month subscription is up. What I can say is that there is a VERY noticable difference in the population over the past month on Ahazi. I'm not sure why that's so difficult to take.

It is simple Squidi: you opinions have no merit after going on and on about quantifiable increases in the server population and then to say you have never quoted a single number.  The fact is, NGE is the worse mistake that SOE made.   In this case, the timing of Smedley's remark is suspect.  After the NGE lost 80% of the remaining subs, the slower rate was simply prepaid accounts.
  • SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    I posted a pic up here earlier which basically described this whole argument and the end result, but It was sorta offensive ( if you saw it you know what im talking about, if not thats nice) so I just wanna apologize to anybody who found it offensive. Wasnt my true intent, the reason im doing this is because it got deleted and I got a mod warning lol.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• viadiviadi Member Posts: 816
    190k subs that is funny

Tin Foil hats dont work.. its all a conspiracy

• deliamberdeliamber Member Posts: 1

Even in SOE's best dreams that figure wont appear ....

I m former SWG player and still owner of 3 games boxes :p , and all I can say is when game launched and there were about 250k subs , you could go ingame to the capital cities and you could find hundreds of players in those cities , poping around, in cantinas , etc ...

Last time I checked it , about 6 month ago , I went to the capital cities, Naboo or Coronet, and I only could find ONE single player, so we went from hundrends or almost 1 thousand to one .... and He was AFK !!! And I checked in radiant and another "most populated servers" .

I dont think SWG has more thant 20k accounts currently, and  I think Im exageting . Maybe there are no more than 10k .

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Originally posted by Fadeus
    So you are saying contrary to EVERY peice of data that has been published including comments by Smedley himself, the playerbase of SWG is growing?At what point will you accept that Smed's comments may be a little too old for this kind of reference? One publish? Two? Six months? Six years? And what EXACTLY did he say? Did he say the game wasn't gaining new players? Or did he say the game lost a lot of vets? NOT THE SAME THING. The game can experience a period where the players lost is greater than the players gained - and then it stops losing players at such a high rate and the net gain is positive. That's called growth. It had to happen some time because there's only so many so many vets who can quit in righteous indignation.Honestly, with the way you guys love manipulating facts, I half expect the game to have twice the population in four years time and you STILL saying the game isn't growing because a long time ago Smed once said people were leaving.The game is most certainly growing in population. If you have logged in regularly and actually saw the population, you'd know this. But you haven't, so you are using everything EXCEPT the actual population to tell me what the population is. It's more. I'm not the only person saying so.

he didn't say either, he said the game has been on a steady decline since launch. So stop trying to twist what I said as some anti SOE hate post. You seem to be the one manipulating and guesstimating facts, I questioned you on your opinion versus actual official statements and non official statements such as mmogchart.com that SUPPORT the official statements. Yet yoou want to throw out growth statements and then accuse me of twisting facts.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

checkmate, you lose

I doubt they have even the slightest possibility to increase the number of subscriptions. Even if SWG does become better than what it used to be pre-NGE (and they're still a few months away from delivering a concrete game), altering fundamental aspects of the game and alienating your old subscribers caused enough bad publicity to refrain new customers.

Moreover, despite the changes, for the average potential customer this is still a three-year old product. Any new title is more likely to draw attention, rather than an older game such SWG.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

• Aetius73Aetius73 Member Posts: 1,257

Originally posted by hercules
    You need the retail box of the game to even play it and if you read thru sirbruce's site he often states he does not want to take in account all access users

Yeah but wanting and getting are two different things.

Says who?  You can't quote someone as a reliable source in one sentence and then go and say the exact opposite thing in the next sentence.

Sure you can especially in the case of SOE. Keep in mind they constantly over report good news and under report bad news so any instance of them reporting bad news is recognized as at least partially truthful (its probably even worse than what they are reporting but if the watered down version is enough to prove his point and it was then it defintly fits the bill).

Let us not forget the way they tried to twist the 80% of the players that are playing the NGE are vets into 80% of the people that were playing pre-nge are playing post nge remeber that one?

Incidentally EVE gained 50k subscribers in the months immediatly after the release of the NGE it went from a game of 70k subscribers to 120k in a very short time gee I wonder were they came from.

Originally posted by anarchyart

I don't think I'll ever be quite where you're at as far as hating SOE, but this statement I have quoted is both good and horrendously bad. Good, because it shows they are dedicated to working on the game and 'listening to players™'.  But bad because, a company that bears the name Sony should have had the game where it needs to be to aquire new subs BEFORE IT WENT LIVE!!!

Yeah but we are talking about a company that has to order parts from Samsung to build their TV's. Sony's glory days are over they have lost their R&D edge so now all that is left is the company that was founded by Stealing an American tape recorder design. Even in the begining Sony was a bunch of lieing thieves nothing has changed in 50 years except the compitence of their R&D department.

he didn't say either, he said the game has been on a steady decline since launch. So stop trying to twist what I said as some anti SOE hate post. You seem to be the one manipulating and guesstimating facts, I questioned you on your opinion versus actual official statements and non official statements such as mmogchart.com that SUPPORT the official statements. Yet yoou want to throw out growth statements and then accuse me of twisting facts.

I wouldn't pay much attention to him he is the latest pawn of SOE on these boards. He is either on the payroll or hasn't been screwed by them yet. At least he is a bit more civil than pirrg.
  • ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529

Originally posted by Aetius73

Originally posted by hercules
    You need the retail box of the game to even play it and if you read thru sirbruce's site he often states he does not want to take in account all access users

Yeah but wanting and getting are two different things.

Especially when he said he DID factor them in.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Originally posted by deliamber

Even in SOE's best dreams that figure wont appear ....
    I m former SWG player and still owner of 3 games boxes :p , and all I can say is when game launched and there were about 250k subs , you could go ingame to the capital cities and you could find hundreds of players in those cities , poping around, in cantinas , etc ...
    Last time I checked it , about 6 month ago , I went to the capital cities, Naboo or Coronet, and I only could find ONE single player, so we went from hundrends or almost 1 thousand to one .... and He was AFK !!! And I checked in radiant and another "most populated servers" .

I dont think SWG has more thant 20k accounts currently, and  I think Im exageting . Maybe there are no more than 10k .

Well personally i am waiting till sirbruce does more research before saying what i think.Some of his data for some games like EQ2 and some others are still over 6 months+ old.

However,the population in npc cities is not a good indicator ,at launch we were all sitting around the cities .

Now there are player made cities,3 expansion etc so people will dilute much more over the map.

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920

I wouldn't pay much attention to him he is the latest pawn of SOE on these boards. He is either on the payroll or hasn't been screwed by them yet. At least he is a bit more civil than pirrg.

OMG.  So now he's a pawn of SOE?!?!?!?!  

You guys, I feel for you and your game getting changed.  I really do.  So don't get me wrong when I say this.

But, if you feel the need to make comments like this, or even worse if you actually believe it, then you have officially lost your marbles.  You have stepped into a conspiratorial suspicious darkness.  And I would just about bet that only clinical help along with the right mix of an anti-depressant cocktail will guide you back towards the light of reality.

This is a sad comment, indeed. 

I hope you guys get your game back soon so that I don't have to see the horribleness of human psychosis anymore.

===============================

OMG.  So now he's a pawn of SOE?!?!?!?!  

You guys, I feel for you and your game getting changed.  I really do.  So don't get me wrong when I say this.

But, if you feel the need to make comments like this, or even worse if you actually believe it, then you have officially lost your marbles.  You have stepped into a conspiratorial suspicious darkness.  And I would just about bet that only clinical help along with the right mix of an anti-depressant cocktail will guide you back towards the light of reality.

This is a sad comment, indeed. 

I hope you guys get your game back soon so that I don't have to see the horribleness of human psychosis anymore.

I can understand how you could come to that conclusion if that was the only thing I said in that post, but it wasn't so you are either trolling an idiot, or perhaps you suffer from ADHD and you need to find activities better suited to your attention span because you couldn't be bothered to read it all. (and it was short! geez)

Let me spell it out for you in a manner that you can hopefully understand. There were two references one was pawn of SOE and another was on the payroll. As you can see I used one as a synonym of the other in the second sentence. On the payroll equals employee of SOE an accusation that has been made many times on this board with some justification because of the obvious level of pro-nge their posts had (if you hired a faschist propoganda machine to talk about star wars nge they would have sounded like that).

This accusation of certain posters being employees of SOE has been said many time before what gives me the pleasure of your special kind of drivel in this matter? E-peen too short and you needed to wag it a bit?

What makes matters worse is this was stated as an either or position. Most people that get screwed by a company will take up a negative view of that company. People that have not been screwed and are customers of that company will generally support it because psychologically it justifies their purchase decision. Hence option number two which you choose to ignore and to perpetrate your injustice to my original comment.

Finally your last line indicates that you are not on either of the sides and leads me to believe that you haven't even played the game which makes you a troll.

Begone Troll.

• nakumanakuma Member UncommonPosts: 1,310
     awww game over man! game over!! we are perpetuating post on post violence!!cant u see its tearing us apartttt.

3.4ghz Phenom II X4 965, 8GB PC12800 DDR3 GSKILL, EVGA 560GTX 2GB OC, 640GB HD SATA II, BFG 1000WATT PSU. MSI NF980-G65 TRI-SLI MOBO.

• SquidiSquidi Member Posts: 419

Sweet! It's been like three days since I've been accused of being on SOE's payroll! I was afraid I may go a full week without attempts to invalidate my opinions through ad hominem attacks. Man, good thing you jumped in there! I don't know what I'd do if this forum ever started actually having real discussions without an undertone of aggression and anger. It'd be... *shudder*... civil or something.
  • SinkaelSinkael Member UncommonPosts: 68

Sweet! It's been like three days since I've been accused of being on SOE's payroll! I was afraid I may go a full week without attempts to invalidate my opinions through ad hominem attacks. Man, good thing you jumped in there! I don't know what I'd do if this forum ever started actually having real discussions without an undertone of aggression and anger. It'd be... *shudder*... civil or something.

Yea, because that helped?

All forums suffer from this because no one wants to concede thier position in a debate, if they didn't believe in it then they wouldn't have posted anyway.

I have yet to meet anyone who posts a reply without a strong opinion already made up in thier mind, the reason i think is that thoes that havn't made up t hier mind yet, wait until they do, taking in information and then defend thier point fervently.

Personally I think you fit into the latter category those that haven't been screwed by SOE yet. Just keep in mind that the new game you enjoy was at the expense of my game and many others here so we will perpetually remain hostile to any pro SOE position, and yes most of us have moved on to other games some of us even enjoy them, but the hostility to SOE will remain.

Finally an Ad Hominem: an informal fallacy in which the object of attack is not the merits of some position, but the person who takes that position.

I attacked your position not you personally. I said that you like soe because of this position or that position. I did not say you like soe because your breath smells funny (take as example plz)  I even comented that you were more civil than pirrg. At least read the logic textbook properly if you are going to use it.

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261

Personally I think you fit into the latter category those that haven't been screwed by SOE yet. Just keep in mind that the new game you enjoy was at the expense of my game and many others here so we will perpetually remain hostile to any pro SOE position, and yes most of us have moved on to other games some of us even enjoy them, but the hostility to SOE will remain.

Finally an Ad Hominem: an informal fallacy in which the object of attack is not the merits of some position, but the person who takes that position.

I attacked your position not you personally. I said that you like soe because of this position or that position. I did not say you like soe because your breath smells funny (take as example plz)  I even comented that you were more civil than pirrg. At least read the logic textbook properly if you are going to use it.

Squidi, like I, has been playing since Launch :)

Squidi, like I, has been playing since Launch :)

Thats fine I took him to be new because he just recently popped up on these boards.(not an unreasonable position to take). It still does not change my underlying position he obviously likes the NGE and therefore did not feel screwed when they changed the game. Thus he falls into the position of not having been screwed by SOE which eliminates him as a possible employee of soe (I just liked the sound of pawn of soe to be honest its ashame gnome didn't understand my synonym to clarify what I meant in the second sentence of the original post that got this whole line of thinking going).

• lordhavoc450lordhavoc450 Member Posts: 23

Well, the guy at MMOChart has updated his stats up until May 2006 and he has SWG sitting at 190k subs, a tad above CoH/CoV...
    http://www.mmogchart.com/

lol.. even if those numbers are correct (which they are not**) it only shows a very steady decrease in the amount of subscribers. So using that chart you can figure out when the game will have 0 subscribers. BTW COV/COH numbers are going in the opposite direction, which is what a smart company tries to do...get more people.

**a month ago the same site had WoW listed at 6.5mill subscribers, by Blizzards admission, WoW states only 3.5 mill copies sold from launch.

• WanklerWankler Member Posts: 60
    All you have to do is look at the game list here on the mmorpg.com site.  SWG is rated at 6.5, down there with titles I've never heard of.

SWG rated lower than games that are totally free.

I think that speaks volumes about the quality of the game and the number of subscribers.

The only reason they have any subscribers left at all is because they have the Star Wars license, if they didn't have that, they would have had to turn off the servers and go home a long time ago.