Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Advise on what game to Pick!

I need some help on what MMO I should play.

I’m currently in Iraq and plan on returning home very soon. 
When I return I have no idea what game I plan on playing.  When I left to come here I was playing WoW, but that got old VERY fast.  I think I was able to max out a character in two months.  I HATED THAT!  I love a game that takes a lot of time invested to reach greatness.  I use to play Ulitma Online for 2 years, I’ve played DAoC(will not play again,EVER) and only 10 hours or so of EQ2.  I played EQ2 the day it came out for about 10 hours. I hear that it has changed a lot since then but I would like to see what everyone thinks.  There are so many new and upcoming games coming out and I don’t have the time right out here to read all the reviews and articles and forums on them.  So the best thing to do was ask everyone.  I would appreciate any impute I can get. Thank

I’m thinking of trying out 3 games right now

1. EQ2

2. Gods and Heroes

3. Conan

Oh yea!  I really really really really dislike Guild Wars.  I didn’t like that every thing was instanced.

Roger
E-5, SGT
US Army

Comments

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Well, if you enjoy WoW and just hate it end so fast and want more...

Maybe you can try old EQ?  WoW take about 75% of it game feature from EQ and 25% from other games, so you would prolly feel home there.  WoW is pretty much an overgrown tutorial to EQ.

If you want a recent game, you can pick between EQ2 (EQlight many would say) or maybe Saga of Ryzom?  SoR is extremely different, but if you max 1 skill in 2 months it would be nice...and there are sooo many to max, so much stuff to earn...I honestly find SoR to be to much hardcore and since I am allergic to gameplay enforcing, I have to quit.

If you want a game that allow you lot of freedom but focus solely on combat, City of Villains is wonderfull, my all time-MMO favorite personnally.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ChrisMatternChrisMattern Member Posts: 1,478

I don't know your feelings on PvP, so I'm not sure it's right for you, but I will mention FFXI as a game where you have to work for what you get. There's no PvP outside of setpiece matches only involve those who explicitly join them, however. Some of us don't regard that as such a problem...

Chris Mattern

• MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353

Originally posted by Petticrew

I’m currently in Iraq and plan on returning home very soon.  When I return I have no idea what game I plan on playing.  When I left to come here I was playing WoW, but that got old VERY fast.  I think I was able to max out a character in two months.  I HATED THAT!  I love a game that takes a lot of time invested to reach greatness.  I use to play Ulitma Online for 2 years, I’ve played DAoC(will not play again,EVER) and only 10 hours or so of EQ2.  I played EQ2 the day it came out for about 10 hours. I hear that it has changed a lot since then but I would like to see what everyone thinks.  There are so many new and upcoming games coming out and I don’t have the time right out here to read all the reviews and articles and forums on them.  So the best thing to do was ask everyone.  I would appreciate any impute I can get. Thank

1. EQ2

2. Gods and Heroes

3. Conan

Oh yea!  I really really really really dislike Guild Wars.  I didn’t like that every thing was instanced.

If you liked UO it's very possible you will like EVE-Online, you can't technically max your character out and you're not required to grind for levels as the training is in realtime. Plus it's open PVP.

They have a 14-day free trial available if you want to try it out.
  • GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I’m currently in Iraq and plan on returning home very soon. 
    When I return I have no idea what game I plan on playing.  When I left to come here I was playing WoW, but that got old VERY fast.  I think I was able to max out a character in two months.  I HATED THAT!  I love a game that takes a lot of time invested to reach greatness.  I use to play Ulitma Online for 2 years, I’ve played DAoC(will not play again,EVER) and only 10 hours or so of EQ2.  I played EQ2 the day it came out for about 10 hours. I hear that it has changed a lot since then but I would like to see what everyone thinks.  There are so many new and upcoming games coming out and I don’t have the time right out here to read all the reviews and articles and forums on them.  So the best thing to do was ask everyone.  I would appreciate any impute I can get. Thank

EQ2

Gods and Heroes

Conan

Well, if you liked WoW but just hated it was over so fast, then I recommend Everquest 2. its similair to WoW in a lot of ways, and with 2 expansions, a 3rd one comming up soon and 2 adventure packs (with another one released very soon), there is plenty of content for you to play trough.
  • PetticrewPetticrew Member Posts: 10

Thank You everyone for you imput.  I've looked at some of the reviews and Forums from each of the games everyone has mentioned.  And yes I do love PVP MMO's,  what would be the point of a MMO once you have reach max level and gear and nothing else to do besides wait for and expansion :).

From the replies I've read I am goingn to post so topics in

Everquest 2 and

Eve Online (I didnt understand what you meant by real time?)

I'm also thinking ov Everquest 1 any opinion on that?

Thanks again

Roger
    E-5, SGT
    US Army

Thank You everyone for your imput.  I've looked at some of the reviews and Forums from each of the games everyone has mentioned.  And yes I do love PVP MMO's,  what would be the point of a MMO once you have reached max level and gear and nothing else to do besides wait for and expansion :).

From the replies I've read I am going to post some topics in

Everquest 2 and

Eve Online (I didnt understand what you meant by real time?)

I'm also thinking ov Everquest 1 any opinion on that?

Thanks again

Roger
    E-5, SGT
    US Army

• RollinDutchRollinDutch Member Posts: 550

hat you meant by real time?)

Skill training is not affected by your in-game actions, or even your presence in-game at all. You start to train a skill, at some time in the future (2 hours or 2 days or etc....) that skill will be complete (reguardless of what you have done in the meantime) and you train a new skill. It is a significant departure from the level grind which most MMOGs use.
  • DedekoDedeko Member Posts: 67
    i played eve online for 2 years with a summer off to maintain sanity.

Eve-online is really what YOU make of it.

Everything I say now pertains to eve-online as of december 2005 if I am wrong please correct me.

The learning curve, haha lets call it a learning CLIFF. However, there are shitloads of people, corporations(read guilds) that WILL help you and guide you.  The hugest thing that helped me learn eve online was to keep the help channel open and just read it and ask when i had any questions. Eve-online's skill system is based over time. Each skill has 5 ranks, 1 through 5. Rank 5 takes the longest amount of time. What do I mean by time? Realtime. Earth time. If it says it will take 5 days to train to rank 5, it will be 5 days, or 120 hours until you gain that rank.
    You can do whatever you want to do in eve-online.  You will NOT be uber in a month, or 5. There is always someone with a bigger badder more uber setup than yours.

You only exist as a ship in EO, hopefully not as a pod. Pod is like a very weak cockpit containing your character which when lost causes your clone to be activated and you live again.

Here are some cons I found with the game and why I left, well sold my character
    1. Elitest game, you really are not that valueable as a newbie. The people that started the game since the beginning will be able to fly the "cool uber" stuff and it might take you a period of months to even be able to start training those skills.
    2. Runaway inflation. I found that eve-online economy was very suberb with the supply and demand and how each regions was very different. I also found the amount of isk (eve-onlines in game monetary unit) to be suffering from run-away inflation. Everything in the game can give you isk, thus lowering the value.
    3. Pvp did not do it for me. You may find pvp in eve very interesting and very fun. I found it to be generally: Team A amasses a force. Team B learns from a spy of team A's force. Team B amasses a bigger force. Both teams recon each other. Get numbers on each others forces and thus amass larger forces. It goes on like this until some team says screw this we can do other stuff, or it has to log off for work tomorrow. The remaining team then goes on a rampage in the other teams space. Rinse and repeat the process.
    Also pvp for me was WAY to quick. Ill be flamed for saying I did things wrong then, but it was to quick in my opinion. Commonly pvp can be over in as little as 30 seconds or less.

If time is not an issue with you there are some games in development that might be interesting to try, but games in development commonly are a roll of the dice when it comes to release time....

this is in no way an eve-online sUx0rs post. I loved the game personally, I just found some of those flaws deal breakers for me.

by the way, yes you can build your own Outposts, and construct your own starbases with military operations in mind

=====Dedeko

• MouthMouth Member Posts: 113

IMO you are missing out bigtime on Guildwars. Neverminds its PvE aspect, its in PvP it really shines, and u do not need to PvE at ALL to excell. Playing well in PvP makes u earn points so u can get any skill. And well, Guildwars just rocks in PvP. Its casual and fun.

I am using Guildwars to thread water until the arrival of Conan. Finally an adult, dark MMORPG. No more cartoons and "be nice" stuff. Here the heads go off and your enemy PvPs playerbuilt-city gets CRUSHED.

The people at FunCom making Conan have years of experience from Anarchy Online - their style is different, and their style is good.

I had hopes for Vanguard, but heard the beta was worse than bad - kinda surprising really.

So IMO - give GW another shot PvP only then go barbaric with Conan

(EQ2 ---> stay away.. i 60'ed it, but just out of boredom, it was not worth it)

Cheers,

Mouth the Tactician

Thank you very much for the Info on Eve Online.  From what you say its way to late in the game to start since its been out for a few years I think.  But I might play it on the side when I'm tired of my main MMO.

Thanks Very much for the info mouth,  Conan was one of the games I was looking at and I totally overlooked who was making it.  Dont know how that happend.  Anarchy Online was an ok game.  I didnt the trial run on it and it was good but not my stlye.  But becuase of the diffrent style of play I'll most likey pick up Conan and give it a run. 

Roger
    E-5, SGT
    US Army

• TheelyTheely Member UncommonPosts: 430

I would give EQ2 another try. They did change a lot including adding PVP. With the addition of PVP they added open PVP servers. I'll give you the details of the PVP server just incase it is something you want to know.

*Can attack anyone within 8 levels of yourself, from the start. The further away from your home city you go, they higher the level cap gets.

*When you kill someone you get a percentage of their coin (10% if I remember correctly) and one random item off them (No-Drop, No-Trade, Attuned items excluded).

I believe those are correct. I'm not exactly playing the game so I'm not completely sure, but I think that its correct.

As for other changes, it is really to much to list. All I can say is to give it another try. Every class is a little different now and you choose your exact class right from the start. No more class tree.

Good luck on your game hunting and a pre-welcome home.

Edit: Can't believe I forgot about it. Someone else started it though. Guild Wars. Its all about the PVP. Look into that one as well.

• Lt.DeadendLt.Deadend Member Posts: 325

Thank you very much for the Info on Eve Online.  From what you say its way to late in the game to start since its been out for a few years I think.  But I might play it on the side when I'm tired of my main MMO.
    Thanks Very much for the info mouth,  Conan was one of the games I was looking at and I totally overlooked who was making it.  Dont know how that happend.  Anarchy Online was an ok game.  I didnt the trial run on it and it was good but not my stlye.  But becuase of the diffrent style of play I'll most likey pick up Conan and give it a run. 

Dont fear Eve-online for reasons like that,.Eve-online makes a awsome side dish that will turn into a fulltime game.3 month character trained right can compeat no problem.and theres tons of new players rolling in each day.everything the last guy posted is true,.but pvp can last longer then 30 seconds =p it really depnds.

Eve-online can be stressfull and vary risky,can allso be bloodpumping and vary rewarding,.killing someone for your first time is like catching a fish for your first time.my first time i had to stop playing for a few mins and chill out,my heart was pumping so hard,.