Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I am tired of hearing people wanting a pre NGE server

2»

Comments

• SquidiSquidi Member Posts: 419

Originally posted by jandrsn

Well, I can't remember what publish was going when I started, but it was April 04ish and ran until NGE.
    Okay, that's about 9 months after launch. Consider yourself lucky. You at least have vehicles. Back in my day, we had to run between towns because we didn't have enough credits to afford shuttles. Seriously. Try it some day. Run between Coronet and Bela Vista.

Don't feel like grinding XP, or going for 'phat loot' drops?  You could go off and just window shop on a random planet; I found a lot of great stuff that way.  Or ( I'll admit to it, I got a second account so I could try all kinds of different proffs on the same server)  craft things, or just go fishing.

How has this changed?

I'm really into CoH, mostly for the community, and the game itself is fun enough.  But nothing can compare to having to sneak all over dagobah to drop a harvie when the rancors weren't looking.  Sitting in a cantina or med-center and healing up after a buff wore off.  Stalking a paddie across a planet and dropping the hammer when they let their guard down.  Heck, even the theme parks weren't a total time sink, you got to see some interesting places and got a few decent rewards to boot.
    I don't understand. The game still has theme parks (unfortunately, the same ones at the moment). You can still bounty hunt players. You can still sit in a cantina. Sneaking across dagobah would be difficult now, as degobah isn't in the game :)

Was there stuff to fix?  You bet, but they didn't fix anything, they just decided to
    But they did. They tried at least. The CU started as a full effort to correct player's problems with the combat system. As they worked on it, they realized that to address some of the complaitns, they needed to change a little more than buff durations. For instance, one of the major complaints was that the combat queue was boring - just spam specials and go make coffee. To fix that complaint required the removal of the queue. This was ultimately a good thing, but it changes the feel of the combat significantly.

The professions had no identity. Originally, each combat profession was supposed to be different from the next, but most of the specials were identical in purpose. For example, Rifleman had essentially the same specials as Pistoleer, except they focusd on mind instead of health. They decided to give each combat class its own unique purpose in the game, from tanking, to dps, to healing, to mezzing, and with that had to change the specials. Most of the specials had to be changed anyway because the HAM bar (terrible idea) was changed.

Another problem was that when they added combat levels (that's a whole different discussion), they found that people had to use crappy first tier weapons while level 54 in a different profession, so they made weapons dependant on the combat level rather than the skillbox. They hadn't really anticipated this change, so it sort of felt tacked on. The CU wasn't so much a revamp as much as it was one giant attempt to fix a dozen little problems at the same time. The NGE, however, that was a true revamp of epic proportions. A total revamp in every sense of the word.

wait for total revamps that, in my opinion (and from the looks of it a lot of others), gutted the community and sandbox approach in, at last incarnation, was just a really crappy game that if it wasn't our old SWG and was released today as new, would be laughed at in many circles.

SWG was always laughed at. It won coaster of the year several times even before the CU. Someone in this forum posted a video review of the game from launch - and it wasn't nice. The only significant change to the sandbox hsa been explicit player levels, but the things which people would laugh at in today's SWG are the same things they laughed at preCU.

Change the loot tables to prevent pikeman dot's from being overpowered?
    How are those two things related?

Find a way to keep jedi levels low by having some sort of mini-permadeath, so people wouldnt play them all the time (By mini-permadeath I'm thinking more like you die, you cant be the jedi for a week or 2, have to log in that other toon for a bit.) ?  Nah, we want as many friggin jedi as we can because that's all ADD ridden kiddies want.
    That wouldn't really be PERMAdeath would it? Besides, there are only as many jedi as there are people who WANT to play Jedi. It's no SOE's fault that everybody wants to be a Jedi. I don't. That's my choice. If everybody else was running around as an Ithorian Commando, I'd still be one. Same with Jedi. It's like complaining that WoW has too many Night Elf Rogues. Every MMORPG has to have a scrub class.

Why patch bugs for this system, when the higher ups KNEW they were going to totally change the game?  And not once, but 2 times?

Well, you patch bugs because players are still playing the game, and if you can fix the bug for them, if even for a few days, you should. IF you are talking about profession revamps like Chef, Squad Leader, or Creature Handler before the NGE (especially in CH's case, where a major revamp happened two months before the class was removed altogether), apparently new features are worked on independantly and low priority ones are planned for future publishes when there is time to integrate them properly (don't want to do a Squad Leader revamp and CH revamp in the same publish, even if they are both done and ready).

Argh, sorry to ramble, I just really miss the pre-nge game.

Exactly. Finally! Somebody admits the true reason behind all this. You miss the preNGE game. That's perfectly okay. I miss it too in many ways. But I don't blame the NGE for not being preCU. It's like raising a child and blaming him for not being more like his dead brother. I'm not saying you are doing this. It's just that some people here confuse missing something with needing it back.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Either offer classic servers or close SWG down.  It's a joke of a game that will NEVER bring substantial subscribers on the current combat mechanics of the NGE. 

Oh, and don't even claim that there's a new combat system rolling out.  It's exactly the same thing with different scale.  The problems of the communities still exist:

lack of diversity

no dynamics

no tactics

no risk

no thrill

worse bugs then previous the "Enhancements"

I would instantly start over on a paid pre-cu server.  I am also willing to bet that if SOE/LA agreed to launch a pre-cu/classic server that they will obtain a higher subsciber base then currently experianced with the crap currently availble and known as Enhancing; which couldn't be further from the truth.

Pre-cu had the dynamics and diversity sought after in an MMORPG.  It had taste, character and required skill to play.  Post the Enhancements everthing is dependant upon the static element of character levels to inflict dmg with the abillity to spam disfunctional specials. 

When I get a pre-cu server to play on you will find myself, and likely a group of others, running around enjoying content while NOT using buffs and NOT using armor! 

the primary problem with pre-cu was the targetable mind pool which could not be healed and buffs.  Remove buffs and the game takes form.

Originally posted by Morrigane

Not that it matters, but my first account was activated July 10, 2003 and deactived the end of Decemeber 2006.

I just checked my subscription, and it says first opened June 26, 2003 - but GameFaqs says the game came out on July 9th. I know I created my account on launch day. Anybody know which one of these is full of crap?

Anyway, your history makes the you guy I want to ask this question to. You were there before vehicles, when you had to run 8k for deliver missions and had to wait for ten minutes alone in remote places waiting for the shuttle to land. You were there during the terrible Droids Rebuilt publish (I was a droid engineer at the time - first of many disappointments). You were there before vendor searching and max sales were 2k. And when they did add vehicles, you were there when getting off one would cause it to speed off out of the city - when there was guarranteed to be at least two flaming speeders outside Theed. You were there when you had to stand out front of starports and pay people so that YOU could teach THEM skills. You were there during the Christmas hologrind. You were there when they put in the Jedi village. You were there before they added space. You were there when they were promising combat fixes and you were there when those fixes turned into the CU. You were there when they talked about the Smuggler revamp that never happened. And you quit two months into the NGE.

You seen SWG going through many terrible phases, and make mistake after mistake with each publish. You've been there since launch (or essentially launch depending on which website you ask). Nobody was really there at launch, since it crashed non-stop that day. Anyway, my question to you is, compared to all that other crap that you've sat through, what was it about the NGE that was so bad that it got you to quit?

Originally posted by mindspat

Either offer classic servers or close SWG down.
    Oooh, real mature. If SWG can't be yours, then nobody else can have it either? Stalker much?

Pre-cu had the dynamics and diversity sought after in an MMORPG.
    Which is why it was losing players...

the primary problem with pre-cu was the targetable mind pool which could not be healed and buffs.  Remove buffs and the game takes form.
    You are simplifying the problem too greatly. Once you fixed that, then you'd complain that combat was boring due to the combat queue. Or that there was no reason to be a carbineer. Or that there was too much grinding involved in the game. Or AFK entertainers. It was much worse than buffs.

• ShaydeShayde Member Posts: 4,529
    If it's NOT pre-cu then they shouldn't even bother.

Those bugs I can deal with. Sure, I can't stay in a chair, but I'm a Swordsman/Pistoleer/smuggler/CH dammit.

I'd never go back if it were CU. I already quit once over that mess.

Shayde - SWG (dead)
    Proud member of the Cabal.

imageimage
    It sounds great, so great in fact, I pitty those who canceled :( - Some deluded SWG fanboi who pities me.
    I don't like it when you say things. - A Vanguard fan who does too.
    09f911029d74e35bd84156c5635688c0

• JediGeekJediGeek Member Posts: 446
    First, the OP... Yes, I'd take Pre-CU back in a second.  If you died that easily then you needed to learn more about the game.  Not every profession was uber.  If you wanted to PvP you had to work at it to learn what worked best for you.  If you wanted to RP a profession, you could do that too.  The point is that you had the freedom to make it what you wanted to.  Some of us remember the original tagline for SWG.  "Experience the greatest Star Wars saga ever told... Yours."

Now for Squidi, the uber flamebait/troll.  Normally I won't respond to this troll and I usually don't read most of the drivel he posts, but in answer to his questions.  SWG launched on June 26, 2003.  My account was opened on July 3, 2003.  It stayed open until just after CU went live.  I cancelled for a few months, then went back to it.  Then NGE hit.  My account has been cancelled since November 17, 2005.

SWG Tempest: Cardo Dycen RIP
    Eve: Cardoh Dycen
    I support random drug testing for all SOE employees

• TymoraTymora Member UncommonPosts: 1,295
    I want a pre NGE server
  • Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    PRE-CU FTW

• MorriganeMorrigane Member Posts: 152

Originally posted by Squidi

Originally posted by Morrigane

Not that it matters, but my first account was activated July 10, 2003 and deactived the end of Decemeber 2006.
    I just checked my subscription, and it says first opened June 26, 2003 - but GameFaqs says the game came out on July 9th. I know I created my account on launch day. Anybody know which one of these is full of crap?Anyway, your history makes the you guy I want to ask this question to. You were there before vehicles, when you had to run 8k for deliver missions and had to wait for ten minutes alone in remote places waiting for the shuttle to land. You were there during the terrible Droids Rebuilt publish (I was a droid engineer at the time - first of many disappointments). You were there before vendor searching and max sales were 2k. And when they did add vehicles, you were there when getting off one would cause it to speed off out of the city - when there was guarranteed to be at least two flaming speeders outside Theed. You were there when you had to stand out front of starports and pay people so that YOU could teach THEM skills. You were there during the Christmas hologrind. You were there when they put in the Jedi village. You were there before they added space. You were there when they were promising combat fixes and you were there when those fixes turned into the CU. You were there when they talked about the Smuggler revamp that never happened. And you quit two months into the NGE.You seen SWG going through many terrible phases, and make mistake after mistake with each publish. You've been there since launch (or essentially launch depending on which website you ask). Nobody was really there at launch, since it crashed non-stop that day. Anyway, my question to you is, compared to all that other crap that you've sat through, what was it about the NGE that was so bad that it got you to quit?

I don't think I've got enough time or patience to list everything, but basically the NGE was the straw that broke the camel's back for me. My first reaction when the NGE news broke was, "This is a joke, right?" Sadly no, more like a nightmare. Anyway, a few of my reasons, in no particular order:

*Dropping the NGE bomb on us without warning - invalidating many parts of the latest expansion. I felt lied to, outraged, and disgusted with the entire scenario. For days before the NGE actually took effect, friends and guildmates just stood around, doing nothing but mourning the passing of era and saying goodbye to each other. In some respects it was very much like attending a wake. Heart-wrenching. With all the things that happened in this game, I had never experienced that sort of finality.

*Gutting - eviscerating the professions and winding the remains around a tree in the name iconic Star Warsiness...(god, I loathe those terms) I was a bh/cm and loved it. I enjoyed missions (heck I enjoyed doing the investigation grind - my guildmates thought I was insane), I was a pretty good healer, even if I do say so. My crafter was an armorsmith/architect. There was infinite challenge in searching out the best resources, working toward the best armor I could possibly manufacture, searching out the skill tapes was like garage sale-ing - never knowing if that vendor over there had the bargain of the week - building a business and a rep for good equipment. It all seems so pointless now.

*Roaming Naritus and see the once active, thriving worlds devoid of life had to be one of the most depressing things I've ever experienced. Of the three hundred or so people on my friends list, when I quit, there were possibly 3 or 4 on at peak times. On a busy night.

*The over the shoulder view made me crazy and the return of the old motion sickness problem from the beta days made playing any length of time impossible.

*Watching my character run around in fast forward speed, like a bad movie you are trying to speed through just to see if the end is any better than the beginning. It never is.

*The constant twitching of my character as the crosshairs moved on the screen was intensely irritating - like she had a severe neurological problem. Frankly, it was rather embarrassing.

*To say the UI was poorly designed is one of the understatements of the year. If I had submitted a graphics design project that was as poor executed at that layout while in college, I would have flunked the assignment and rightfully so. It was so bad I could barely stand to look at it.

*The lack of choice of professions with everyone exactly the same and no real hope of ever having the options I once had. Yes I know other games have static professions, but I go into those games expecting that. I didn't appreciate the freedom SWG gave me until it was gone.

*I spent hours doing decorating - it was impossible with any degree of accuracy. For me decorating was an artistic endeavor that was no longer possible.

*The usual - targeting, specials, the impossible task (for me) of keeping track of my target. I just couldn't take any more of it.

I'm sure I could think of more reasons, but I have to pretend to work at some point during the day, and this is long enough. For those that want to tell me how good the game is or becoming, please don't. Even if I were to believe you, its too little, far too late

So'fe Sose, Naritus, SWG- Forcibly Retired
    Friends don't let friends SWG...

• iceman00iceman00 Member Posts: 1,363

Originally posted by wookiee
    Do you really want a bunch of Combat Medics chucking 1000 tick mind poison and disease at everyone and then being finished off with one shot from a rifleman?

Do you really want to go back to holo grinding?

Hehe why not go back to publish 1 where you dont even have a speeder? or how about Imperials owning all with THREE AT-STs in their control?

or how about when you did a bleed shot at the AT-ST and they bleed.. hehe I loved that bug.

There never was any balance and the first CU brought nothing but frustration and whining....

Let it die in peace please... somthing better will eventualy come our way.

Oh geez here we go again.  Yes there were some bugs.  but as far as the combat medics chucking 1000 tick mind poison, not only were they not as common as everyone wanted to think, they were also very easily disposed of if you actually WORKED AS A TEAM.  most people who wanted to pvp wanted to do solo pvp.  Combat medics were never a problem for our guild.  One because they had a nasty combat medic (myself) who knew what he was doing, and second we had carbineers.  If you worked as a team, Combat medics were weak.  But you guys wanted "balance" meaning everyone was the same.  I proposed lengthy reforms to the CM profession i loved, but your guys argumentation is just assinine.

I'd take a few overpowered professions instead of everyone being the same.  All I know is I PvP'ed with a ranger/swordsman and had a 1754 pvp rating.  :)

Originally posted by Squidi
    I have a question. How many people demanding a preCU server have had active accounts since launch? When did you start, and was your account active fully until the CU or NGE?

I was 3 months after launch.  I quit midway between CU and NGE.  I of course missed some of the CU because I was fasting from gaming for Lent.  I had come back when most of the bugs were supposed to be "worked out."  I returned for one month under the NGE, and when I got to level 40 without once requiring a partner, and there being no player community on Eclipse, the horrid features of the game didn't mandate me staying.  (actually it was more like 7 days or less i stayed, but subscribed for a month lol.)

Originally posted by Wakizashi

Originally posted by wookiee Do you really want a bunch of Combat Medics chucking 1000 tick mind poison and disease at everyone and then being finished off with one shot from a rifleman? Do you really want to go back to holo grinding? Hehe why not go back to publish 1 where you dont even have a speeder? or how about Imperials owning all with THREE AT-STs in their control? or how about when you did a bleed shot at the AT-ST and they bleed.. hehe I loved that bug. There never was any balance and the first CU brought nothing but frustration and whining.... Let it die in peace please... somthing better will eventualy come our way.
    ````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````````` So you were one of the people who were no good at PRE-CU. It is not often you see people admit this. Well, guess what. The game is primed right now for all the people who couldn't 'win' before. Hurry and run to play right now.

What ?!? are you joking? I was damd good at pre cu !!!! I was master CM and master rifleman, I had the best damd poison and disease on Gorath !  I used rancor bile and fire spider venom to make crazy stuff.

Night sister hunting was REALLY FUN though I must admit... I loved my mind fire lance... my alt used that.

SOOOOOO

All the things you were whining and complaining about you actually did?  And sorry, just because you had leet poisons and diseases didn't make you any good of a cm.  Those were the easiest to take down.  A good cm made it so his team won, and required the support of others so he wouldn't die.  Rancor biles were also overrated since they destroyed range, and were only good up close.  So chances are you were a noob who could get kited and plucked from a distance.  Something smells of hypocripsy here, because the very things that were wrong with the game were the very things you said you loved doing........

• derektoddderektodd Member Posts: 79

or how about Imperials owning all with THREE AT-STs in their control? I thought it was cool - the Imps were supposed to have the numerical/tactical advantage. And that was before I saw the light and went imperial.

I remember in the beginning when I was on Endor trying to Master Rifleman. A call came out from the leaders of the Rebellion to all Rebels on the Ahazi Server.

ATTENTION: all Rebels needed on Tatooine at Anchorhead. Imperials from Bestine have raided the Rebel City.

I immediately headed to Anchorhead and when I finished landing, it was freakin awesome to see the city filled with Rebs and Imps. There were 3 ATST's in the city and they were one shot killing us.

I remember we all concentrated all our fire power on one of those ATST's and watching as that thing's health dissappear.

When we finally killed that ATST, man it was the most exciting thing in the world; to actually be apart of the killing of an ATST at that time was simply BAD ASS.

Yeah the imps kept killing us over and over but dude the satisfaction of destroying that ATST was awesome.

• IkosrouIkosrou Member Posts: 40

I beta tested the game in Beta III.   I played up until the NGE thankfully I kept my subscription at 1 month intervals..   I bought every expansion saw the game change from beta to what was becoming a good game after mounts were introduced.

Made it through the CU which I didn't think was a bad thing on the crafting side it stayed pretty much the same.  I never really got into the combat side as much as all the others.  When JTL came out and I saw an almost flawless space game I really began to look up as saying wow this may just make a decent game after all.

Then ROTW, Ugg bugs content broken, worse that usual then the game went to hell in a handbasket. 

Bought Obi-wan expansion with this nagging voice in my head saying "Dont Do IT!" but did anyway

Then NGE got my money back for ToOW cancelled and there went my first experience into MMORPGs.

I turned my attention to WoW because after all it did have 5 million subs and thought wow if it has that many there must be something there.  I never knew another MMORPG, so when I got into the world the first time and didn't encounter lag, bugs, no content, feeling of nothing to do.  I went bonkers. 

My point?  If SWG or even the EMU stuff goes live with Pre NGE in any version CU or Pre-CU.  I'd cancel WoW and be back in a heartbeat!!

Thing is even in Beta they (The DEVS) Never listened to the community.  I remember when Beta was ending all of the testers were on the forums saying "You can't be serious!"  The game has a lot of bugs still!  etc.. I can bet some of the graphical bugs which I've submitted tons of times are still in the game even from BETA!

One I've reported over and over is the stars shining through a moon.  I know it's not game breaking etc.. but damn you'd think it was maybe what maybe 100 lines of code or maybe a shift of layer to get rid of the glitch?  10 minutes to fix it ?  There were tons of stuff like that, which could have been fixed and made the game improve or appear to improve.

Oh well, unless they do go back to pre-NGE they wont be getting this vets money even to try anything out.

• GorairGorair Member Posts: 959

hmmm,

i havent heard it once , except on TS or vent when playing other games.

I have read it a million times but thats only because i made a decision to read the threads making it my fault i saw all thoise threads.

Sounds like a case of if you dont like something , stop doing the thing that leads you there. Thats insanity , doing the same thing over and over and over while expecting a different result.

Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

• duggoduggo Member Posts: 387

Originally posted by Gorair

hmmm,
    i havent heard it once , except on TS or vent when playing other games.
    I have read it a million times but thats only because i made a decision to read the threads making it my fault i saw all thoise threads.
    Sounds like a case of if you dont like something , stop doing the thing that leads you there. Thats insanity , doing the same thing over and over and over while expecting a different result.

Sounds like you're calling everyone who keeps posting for Pre-CU servers "insane"... Guy with axe

-d

Waiting on: Pirates of the Burning Sea and Pirates of the Carribean Online

• ChuckerChucker Member Posts: 10
    All i know is: NGE: Gay, obliterated the community, no fun fighting, dumbed down, bla bla bla. Pre-NGE: I had ton of fun and made a ton of fun memories.
  • wookieewookiee Member Posts: 151
    yes take a poll

• LAW!LAW! Member Posts: 153

Do you really want a bunch of Combat Medics chucking 1000 tick mind poison and disease at everyone and then being finished off with one shot from a rifleman?

There was Combat Balance at publish 11

Do you really want to go back to holo grinding?

When you finished...you had a sense of accomplishment

Hehe why not go back to publish 1 where you dont even have a speeder? or how about Imperials owning all with THREE AT-STs in their control?

Publish 11 was...Perfect

or how about when you did a bleed shot at the AT-ST and they bleed.. hehe I loved
    that bug.

It was "Fuel Oil" leaking silly

There never was any balance and the first CU brought nothing but frustration and whining....

Every profession could own if played right...mind you, some took more work than others, but it was possible.

Let it die in peace please... somthing better will eventualy come our way.

I will never let it DIE...Sorry, it was the best Game I ever played