Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Station Pass Price INCREASES

tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Yup thats right. And also starting June 1st it doesnt matter if you only play one of there games, you gotta pay for the station pass. The station pass went from 21.99 to 24.99. This is just plain stupid too me, again $OE is putting $$$ before quality.

this really makes me ponder. The Nazi forums flaming up asking for rollbacks ....... would you pay 25$ to play pre-cu?

Playing: EVE Online
Favorite MMOs: WoW, SWG Pre-cu, Lineage 2, UO, EQ, EVE online
Looking forward to: Archeage, Kingdom Under Fire 2
KUF2's Official Website - http://www.kufii.com/ENG/ -

Comments

• ClackamasClackamas Member Posts: 776

Originally posted by tvalentine
    Yup thats right. And also starting June 1st it doesnt matter if you only play one of there games, you gotta pay for the station pass. The station pass went from 21.99 to 24.99. This is just plain stupid too me, again $OE is putting $$$ before quality.

Old news.  This was announced serveral weeks ago.  After all, SWG is loosing money so they combined it with the Station Pass.  Since the Station Pass now has extra value with SWG, they up the price.  Don't  you understand how business people think?
  • tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Clackamas

Old news.  This was announced serveral weeks ago.  After all, SWG is loosing money so they combined it with the Station Pass.  Since the Station Pass now has extra value with SWG, they up the price.  Don't  you understand how business people think?

oh ... my bad, i just didnt see anyone make a thread about it, so i got the news a bit late heh.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Maybe SoE should consider 'partial pass' access, since Marketing is their strong lead, there is no reason to stop from leveling the ground in front of the competition when they are doing better.

Now as to what a 'partial pass' access would give or grant, I am kinda unsure, but I am sure they would get a good portion of peoples and most importantly, even if some peoples don't pick those and remain with other options, they would still appreciate the option been offered to them.

I can see all those plans:

- Norrath access:  Grant access only to EQish games, a price somewhere between full-pass and single MMO would sound right.

- Dual or triple access: Grant access to 2 or 3 MMOs of the player choices, for the price of the old all-access pass.

I dunno, this is kinda a brainstorm for the fun of it.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• tvalentinetvalentine Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 4,216

Originally posted by Anofalye

Maybe SoE should consider 'partial pass' access, since Marketing is their strong lead, there is no reason to stop from leveling the ground in front of the competition when they are doing better.

Now as to what a 'partial pass' access would give or grant, I am kinda unsure, but I am sure they would get a good portion of peoples and most importantly, even if some peoples don't pick those and remain with other options, they would still appreciate the option been offered to them.

- Norrath access:  Grant access only to EQish games, a price somewhere between full-pass and single MMO would sound right.
    - Dual or triple access: Grant access to 2 or 3 MMOs of the player choices, for the price of the old all-access pass.

kinda like how if they put a pre-cu server (partial pass) they would get more peoples.

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

kinda like how if they put a pre-cu server (partial pass) they would get more peoples.

Yup, but the pre-CU server relly on programmers mostly, while the partial pass relly on marketing mostly.

SoE programmers are good, their marketing folks are great.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

• ObraikObraik Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,261
    I thought it was pretty much agreed that the price increase was due to Vanguard being added on?

Originally posted by Obraik
    I thought it was pretty much agreed that the price increase was due to Vanguard being added on?

You mean you admit SWG being added to the Station Pass wasn't enough to justify a value added price increase?  I am in shock Obraik! 
  • ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

Errr.... SWG has been on the station pass since 2004 there genius.  It was added December 2004.  That's when I went back to PlanetSide because SWG, Planetside and EQ1 were all on the pass so It made sense for me to get it since I played all 3 at the time.

Also, where do you get that you MUST use the pass?  I haven't gotten any notification of the kind.  I do not currently have a station pass.  I pay $12 a month for PlanetSide on a single game subscription... I don't have to get the pass, I already checked with support.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Originally posted by Elnator

Errr.... SWG has been on the station pass since 2004 there genius.

So?  They still view the addtion of SWG as "value added" so there for the Station Pass required a price increase.... or did I sense a pathetic attempt at an insult?

So?  They still view the addtion of SWG as "value added" so there for the Station Pass required a price increase.... or did I sense a pathetic attempt at an insult?

Nope merely pointing out a fact.  They aren't raising the price because SWG is a value-add.  It was already ON the pass... how would it increase the value when it was already there???  No, they're raising the price because they want more money :)  And they think they can get away with it.  The real reason they think they can get away with it is Vanguard will be on it when it releases later this year.  They're banking on it being a smash hit and driving station access subs up.  Two other titles will be released on the pass as well...  Their Marvel MMO that is in development and slated for release late this year / early next year and that other MMO being developed by an indie company that they're publishing as well.

Sig image Pending

• RabiaRabia Member Posts: 622

Nope merely pointing out a fact.  They aren't raising the price because SWG is a value-add.  It was already ON the pass... how would it increase the value when it was already there???  No, they're raising the price because they want more money :)  And they think they can get away with it.  The real reason they think they can get away with it is Vanguard will be on it when it releases later this year.  They're banking on it being a smash hit and driving station access subs up.  Two other titles will be released on the pass as well...  Their Marvel MMO that is in development and slated for release late this year / early next year and that other MMO being developed by an indie company that they're publishing as well.

Dude, go dig through the SOE forums.  They specifically tied the price increase to value-added software including Star Wars Galaxies.

Originally posted by Rabia

Dude, go dig through the SOE forums.  They specifically tied the price increase to value-added software including Star Wars Galaxies.

Ok so they're insane then :)  LOL.  If they're claiming that a game that's been on the pass for nearly 2 years is a 'value add' then they're smoking something.

I don't read the SOE forums thanks.  I only play PlanetSide and I don't have a station pass so it doesn't affect me :)

Sig image Pending

• RabiaRabia Member Posts: 622

Originally posted by Rabia

Ok so they're insane then :)  LOL.  If they're claiming that a game that's been on the pass for nearly 2 years is a 'value add' then they're smoking something.

I don't read the SOE forums thanks.  I only play PlanetSide and I don't have a station pass so it doesn't affect me :)

No worries... I am too lazy to go find the announcement on a web site I loath to vist. 
  • bugzonlsdbugzonlsd Member Posts: 410

this really makes me ponder. The Nazi forums flaming up asking for rollbacks ....... would you pay 25$ to play pre-cu?

Nah, whats his name umm...frikkin thundernads er whoever said on the forums the price for station pass went up not the swg monthly fee.

http://forums.station.sony.com/swg/board/message?board.id=Announcements&message.id=3090

No i wouldnt pay 25$ to holo grind and run across planets lol.

• WakizashiWakizashi Member Posts: 893
    I guess now would be a good time to sign up for the Station Pass. NOT!
  • milkman1997milkman1997 Member UncommonPosts: 11

Oh man their gonna add Vangaurd! Really!? I can't wait! I love fantasy MMO's! The swords, the elves and the ZZZZzzzzzZZZzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........oh...uh...I fell asleep, what I miss? NOTHING!

Sorry but come on, another fantasy MMO, hey they're popular but can Sony afford to attempt another same-as-the rest MMO. With WoW, Guild Wars Factions, and oh yeah EQII? I know their just the publisher but the market seems swamped with these.

Not that there's anything wrong with the genre, but their is such a lack of sci fi and it seems all the would be decent sci fi games are on the Station Pass account. Too bad the only goodone seems to be Planetside.

Originally posted by milkman1997

Oh man their gonna add Vangaurd! Really!? I can't wait! I love fantasy MMO's! The swords, the elves and the ZZZZzzzzzZZZzzzZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzz........oh...uh...I fell asleep, what I miss? NOTHING!
    Sorry but come on, another fantasy MMO, hey they're popular but can Sony afford to attempt another same-as-the rest MMO. With WoW, Guild Wars Factions, and oh yeah EQII? I know their just the publisher but the market seems swamped with these.
    Not that there's anything wrong with the genre, but their is such a lack of sci fi and it seems all the would be decent sci fi games are on the Station Pass account. Too bad the only goodone seems to be Planetside.

It's fairly obvious by now that fantasy sells well.  Just a few weeks ago (of course, before the announcement that SOE was publishing it, now it's suddenly "omg this game sucks" ;) ) people were raving on how unique Vanguard is going to be.  I dunno, I haven't really been following the game that much I'm just going by what I saw people posting here on this SWG forum. 

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Anofalye

You shouldn't drink near the computer, Ano.

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Wakizashi
    I guess now would be a good time to sign up for the Station Pass. NOT!

I guess we all have our off days lol that was not your finest man.

• kymekyme Member Posts: 411
    Does a player need to buy a station pass or can they just pay for one game? (Not that I intend to join until pre-cu servers are created).
  • SagoSago Member Posts: 516

No ... the price for the Station Pass went up weeks before Sigil jumped into bedd with the Evil Darth Smedley.

In addition, if you look on the Vanguard forum youb would see that you can subscribe to JUST Vanguard for $15 per month. No need for the Station Pass. But $OE still gets a cut of your monthly subscription fee.

Also I believe that when Vanguard becomes under $OE control that $OE will drop EQ and EQ2 as they are old and out dated. Vanguard woud be newer code with newer features. Why have 2 Fantasy MMOs?

Sago Mactow
    Former SWG 2yr 7 month Vet
    6/26/03 - 1/26/06
    Jedi, Master Shipwright, Master Architect
    DFR Councilman
    Tarq Server

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304
    I know this is old news, but it takes balls the size of the Atlantic Ocean to raise prices at a time when all their game sub bases are declining...

It's not as if all their games combined even add up to the amount of subscribers Blizzard GAINED for WoW in any quarter of 2005...

• Wildcat84Wildcat84 Member Posts: 2,304

Originally posted by Sago

No ... the price for the Station Pass went up weeks before Sigil jumped into bedd with the Evil Darth Smedley.

In addition, if you look on the Vanguard forum youb would see that you can subscribe to JUST Vanguard for $15 per month. No need for the Station Pass. But $OE still gets a cut of your monthly subscription fee.

Also I believe that when Vanguard becomes under $OE control that $OE will drop EQ and EQ2 as they are old and out dated. Vanguard woud be newer code with newer features. Why have 2 Fantasy MMOs?

It depends.  EQ/EQ2 have a solid following, no need to do away with that.  Basically the EQ franchise is the only thing SOE owns that's worth anything.  The only other MMO they've ever had crack 300K subs was SWG,  but they've managed to run off more than 100K of those people.

IF Vanguard is a hit (IE, pulls over 200-300K subs, which is a possibility I suppose), I look for them to snap up Sigil.  If it ends up being a mediocre success (say it pulls 50-100K)  I still look for them to buy it out, strip the Dev team, CUNGE it, and maintain it cheaply on the station pass.

If it flops, SOE loses nothing, they are being paid for the hosting.

The only way I see Vanguard not becoming a SOE property is if it fails completely.  SOE has money, Sigil does not.  Brad would happily walk away with a tidy profit on his investment in Sigil.

Actually I think it was only a week before the Vanguard deal was announced, stuff was probably happening behind the scenes well before that.

You can also sub to any of the SOE games seperatley too, none of which are being increased in price ;)

I'm honestly not sure if you're being serious in the final paragraph.  I'm going to assume you're joking :)

• SagoSago Member Posts: 516

Actually I think it was only a week before the Vanguard deal was announced, stuff was probably happening behind the scenes well before that.

You can also sub to any of the SOE games seperatley too, none of which are being increased in price ;)

I'm honestly not sure if you're being serious in the final paragraph.  I'm going to assume you're joking :)

Nope ... I am serious. Why have 2 er 3 fantasy games? Especialy when the newer fantasy game offers more.

Keeping EQ, EQ2, and Vanguard means more servers to support, more Dev time working on 3 different fantasy games, more CS support, and it goes on and on.

Now do NOT read into what I am saying .... as you usually do ..... I would not expct this to happen until AFTER Vanguard comes under total $OE control. Meaning when Brad and company leave to start their next project after Vanguard.

As we all know $OE is all about money. More stuff to support mean less cash in the $OE wallet.

I would also expect that there are only so many Fantasy gamers at $OE and I don't believe that when Vanguard comes online there will be many left playing EQ and EQ2.

Sago Mactow
    Former SWG 2yr 7 month Vet
    6/26/03 - 1/26/06
    Jedi, Master Shipwright, Master Architect
    DFR Councilman
    Tarq Server