Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Travel in EVE.

whackerswhackers Member Posts: 30
I've been thinking about trying out eve since wow is getting boring but i have one big question. Does space travel use 3d space, like piloting ships in SWG? I've tried many other games that have 3d travel and just cant seem to get the hang of it.  Please tell me retards like me can travel easily:)

Comments

• AzirophosAzirophos Member Posts: 447

Originally posted by whackers
    I've been thinking about trying out eve since wow is getting boring but i have one big question. Does space travel use 3d space, like piloting ships in SWG? I've tried many other games that have 3d travel and just cant seem to get the hang of it. Please tell me retards like me can travel easily:)

Travel in EVE is mainly done by autopilot. You pick your destination system and hit the A button. Your ship then warps to the next jump gate, aprroaches it and then jumps to the next system in route. This seqence (warp to next gate, approach it, jump) is repeated till you have arrived at the destination system.

Sometimes it is better to disable the autopilot and do the travelling manually (by the use of bookarks, which are essentially coordinates in space in jump range of a jumpgate), especially when you are travelling through potentially hostile territory. Doing it manually requires you to select the currently needed bookmark from a right click menu, warping to it, and then jumping. Essentially this method goes faster, because you skip the approach to gate pahse of travel, but it requires you to have the appropriate bookmarks for your route (can be made or purchased from players).

Travelling in-system is usually done by right click context menu (select object and warp to it, approach it, dock, etc). You can also steer your ship (in 3D) by clicking in the appropriate direction with the mouse, which is usually used to maneuver in a fleet action, or to get your ship into a certain position.

So, no, piloting a ship in EVE is not like it is in SWG, the X Series, Elite, or Wing Commander. And yes, travel in EVE is easy (despite it being 3D), because of the contextmenu based movements and the autopilot.

I am a bit tired, so I hope that made sense :s

------------------------------------------------------
    Originally posted by Mandolin

Designers need to move away from the old D&D level-based model which was never designed for player vs player combat in the first place.

• RychekRychek Member Posts: 55
    travel in 0.0 can be very exciting.

Running gate camps.

bouncing between safespots to avoid probes.

using instas to land 500m from a gate with 20 pirates on it.

using afterburner to get out of warp bubbles and aligning into warp just in time.

bouncing off a gate at 100km despite a huge gate camp so you are aligned with your insta to a gate on the other side of the system.

Safespoting in the warp lane while being chased and watching your pursuer blip by on your overview.

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by whackers
    I've been thinking about trying out eve since wow is getting boring but i have one big question. Does space travel use 3d space, like piloting ships in SWG? I've tried many other games that have 3d travel and just cant seem to get the hang of it.  Please tell me retards like me can travel easily:)

Well...

Travel isn't something you should be doing all the time.  If you're setting destinations which consist over 6 jumps in a single direction you should have a damned good reason. 

Too commonly do we hear "i hate eve 'cs i spend hours taking 30 jumps!"  The problem in this example would be the factor of the lowest denominator.  There's absolutely no reason to perform 30 jumps unless you plain and simply intend to.

EVE is a sandbox where you are allowed to the play the game through your own wishes without developers dictating where and what you can do based upon a level or quest. 

Character's skill levels are the main factor inrelation to equipment used and have little impact upon game play.

• whackerswhackers Member Posts: 30

Thanks for the reply guys, i got my trial code and will download it tonight to check it out:)

whack