Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE Will Buy Sigil Eventually

For those of you who argue "I hate SOE too, but SOE is just doing hosting and markeitng for Sigil", then I have news for you.

In this thread http://www.vanguardsoh.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51136 I believe, Jon Grande, the VP of Business Development, has twice said that it is possible that SOE may someday acquire Sigil. He says it's unlikely to happen, but he is very careful to explicitly say that is a possibility... twice.

You have to understand that folks like Grande have private equity in Sigil. If SOE buys out Sigil, then people like Grande could probably retire as millionaires from this one transaction. As a result, Grande and others in the Sigil company that are not yet milliionaires like McQuaid, have a fiduciary interest in SOE eventually buying out Sigil.

The fact is that McQuaid has called Smedley one of his best friends. He has said that he disagrees with some of SOE's moves in the past, but he speaks of it in a very morally neutral manner.

In terms of the partnership, they kept emphasizing that they partnered with SOE because they know and trust the people there.

Many times, before an M&A happens, 2 companies will engage in a strategic partnership so that high level executives from both sides will get to know each other and develop trust before a full on acquisition happens.

Smedley knows that growth is tapped out on EQ2, EQ, PlanetSide and SWG. None of these games will make SOE a giant in the MMO space like it used to be. So what do executives like that do when they can't grow organically? That's right. They go on a buying spree. Do not be surprised if Smedley buys out Sigil and Gods & Heroes and maybe some other smaller MMOs so that he can expand the "value" of the Station Pass.

If Smedley can't organically grow into the MMO marketplace, he has the money from Sony to buy his way into it.

Comments

• duncan_922duncan_922 Member Posts: 1,670
    SOE seems to be trying to be the EA of MMO games.   Sadly, that isn't saying much about the quality of their games!

SOE knows what you like... You don't!
    And don't forget... I am forcing you to read this!

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

Ofcourse SOE will buy Sigil just as they did Verant. While SOE has had the bad luck of having George Lucas mandate ludacris changes to SWG they've done a magnificent job listening to players and making changes to EQ2. SOE like any large company is a mixed bag where some teams are genius some are tards. I'll be playing Vanguard for years to come. I guarantee it.

• SpiritofGameSpiritofGame Member UncommonPosts: 1,332

So ... just wondering.

If you just agree with a troll to make him happy, will he just go away eventually?

~ Ancient Membership ~

• ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Not saying they will or won't, however it wouldn't suprise me if they did in 2 years.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• anarchyartanarchyart Member Posts: 5,378

Originally posted by Fadeus

Not saying they will or won't, however it wouldn't suprise me if they did in 2 years.

I would think you would be above this sort of thing, saddens me that you're not. Speculating along with the trolls makes you a troll. Nothing can be gained from this except you spreading the anti-SOE gospel, of which Vanguard deserves none.

/flip

• VengefulVengeful Member Posts: 473

Anyone with a right mind wouldn't deny possibility of something.

You might possibly spontaneously combust, but it isn't probably. It's not likely to happen. Same thing. Quit nitpicking. Grand just isn't ruleing out the possibilities of Brad and Jeff dying in a car accident (who holds the majority of stock on Sigil) and the the rest of the stock holders agreeing to sell to SOE.

It's a possibility....just not probable.

• n2soonersn2sooners Member UncommonPosts: 926
    I predict that the Saints will win the Super Bowl eventually

image image

Originally posted by anarchyart

Not saying they will or won't, however it wouldn't suprise me if they did in 2 years.I would think you would be above this sort of thing, saddens me that you're not. Speculating along with the trolls makes you a troll. Nothing can be gained from this except you spreading the anti-SOE gospel, of which Vanguard deserves none.
    /flip

Umm, whatever AA. What saddens me is you had to take time out to take a shot at me for voicing non-inflamatory opinion about what I think may happen. I didn't spread anything, nor was my post anti-SOE. Perhaps you should think before you type the next time.

If you can't handle a little critisizm on your flavor of the month then don't come to the discussion.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• GrimSkunk2GrimSkunk2 Member Posts: 451
    Regardless what has or hasn't been said, it is all speculation.  Remember that both are businesses, though, and out to make money.  So anything, including the sale/buy of Sigil, is always possible.  No one can predict the future except future tellers/seers- and they all lie.

-W.

• HelternHeltern Member Posts: 193

Originally posted by SpiritofGame

So ... just wondering.
    If you just agree with a troll to make him happy, will he just go away eventually?

No, and the fanbois will just keep being fanbois no matter how bad. I have a message for SOE and Brad, "screw me once shame on you, screw me twice shame on me". You just don't get it, you and the five others that are going to play go right ahead. The rest of us know better.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

By agreeing with you I will get critism on my end as well, but what you speak is true imho. Your stating whats on your mind and there is nothing wrong with that and totally agree with you, which now will set me up as a anit-soe player  troll or whatever ppl dictate.

I rarley post on the vanguard forums now due to this nature. All it does it sets me up on being a troll, because I have nothing good about this game in its current state. I have nothing agaist the users wanting to play this game and will not bash them for it, but I to have my right to speak my mind if a certain post attracts my attention on a subject.

And your right about critism, even some of the infamous posters on mmorpg.com get upset when someone says a derogatory remark on a game they are anticipating on and will flame you on the spot for pissing in their pool.

If you cannot take critism on the forums, I hate to see how you take critism in a real life scenario.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I would think you would be above this sort of thing, saddens me that you're not. Speculating along with the trolls makes you a troll. Nothing can be gained from this except you spreading the anti-SOE gospel, of which Vanguard deserves none.

AA, shouldn't you be attending to your 'Guild Wars Sucks' thread? ^_^

I can't see SOE taking ownership of Vanguard. Imo, SOE will move more to a hosting company, and away from developing their own games.

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

Originally posted by IcoGames

I can't see SOE taking ownership of Vanguard. Imo, SOE will move more to a hosting company, and away from developing their own games.

I'm kinda seeing that in their future as well. I think they've already prooven to themselves that they suck balls at developing and maintaing their own games. Maybe with Vanguard they've gotten the hint and are just going to start hosting games and putting them into the All Access/Station Pass. Could be a nice incentive for other Developers to publish games through SOE, and is definately good for us gamers.

• TamalanTamalan Member Posts: 1,117

I'm kinda seeing that in their future as well. I think they've already prooven to themselves that they suck balls at developing and maintaing their own games. Maybe with Vanguard they've gotten the hint and are just going to start hosting games and putting them into the All Access/Station Pass. Could be a nice incentive for other Developers to publish games through SOE, and is definately good for us gamers.

My thoughts as well,  and the kind of reply I hoped to get to a thread I posted a few days ago :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/79676

I still have some hope for Vanguard

Tam

Originally posted by Tamalan

My thoughts as well,  and the kind of reply I hoped to get to a thread I posted a few days ago :)

http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/79676

I still have some hope for Vanguard

Tam

I'm not necissarily saything that they would take on Vanguard as a PR move, more so they are making a shift in their buisness plan. I'm not exactly informed 100% about all of SOE's titles, but how many MMOs on SOE's bill  were developed in other houses?

• StraddenStradden Managing EditorMember CommonPosts: 6,696
    Hi guys!

Just popping in to say that while i think theis thread is certainly worthy of discussion, please stay on the original poster's topic (as many of you are!). If you just generally want to bash SOE, please take it to the stickied thread http://www.mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/79044.

Much appreciated.

Happy Posting

Cheers,
    Jon "Stradden" Wood, Community Manager, MMORPG.com

Cheers,
    Jon Wood
    Managing Editor
    MMORPG.com

• jonakujonaku Member Posts: 281

Some people say "The partnership between SOE and Sigil doesn't matter because SOE is only handling hosting and marketing".

I am just saying that this view is short-sighted because 6 to 12 months from now, you could see SOE buying out Sigil.

And where does that leave you?

It leaves you with the fact that the partnership between SOE and Sigil DOES matter. It could matter VERY, VERY much.

It's not like Brad hasn't decided to move on after finishing development of a game before or something. ::::02::

- Scaris

It's not like Brad hasn't decided to move on after finishing development of a game before or something. ::::02::

exactly. good point.

Umm, whatever AA. What saddens me is you had to take time out to take a shot at me for voicing non-inflamatory opinion about what I think may happen. I didn't spread anything, nor was my post anti-SOE. Perhaps you should think before you type the next time.
    If you can't handle a little critisizm on your flavor of the month then don't come to the discussion.

I've been following this game over 2 years, just so  you know. You're just adding to the anti-Vanguard sentiment and speculating negatively over Vanguards future just like the trolls. It's pretty clear to anyone who can read that you're anti-SOE and that post was just another shot at them.

You aren't going to play Vanguard and you hate everything related to SOE so why even come here? Answers obvious. To troll.

Originally posted by HiGHPLaiNS

If you cannot take critism on the forums, I hate to see how you take critism in a real life scenario.

It's the ignorance and the chronic nature of the posts that gets my goat. People who constantly return day after day posting their negative views on a game over and over, and over, and OVER for a game THEY HAVE NO INTEREST IN PLAYING! They just want to come and 'piss in the pool' as you so eloquently put it.

I just see it as lame and yeah in real life those type of people would get a punch in the face from me. But in real life those type of people wouldn't have the nuts to speak up, just on the internet.

Originally posted by IcoGames

http://mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/77150  Check the title, Ico.

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

It's the ignorance and the chronic nature of the posts that gets my goat. People who constantly return day after day posting their negative views on a game over and over, and over, and OVER for a game THEY HAVE NO INTEREST IN PLAYING! They just want to come and 'piss in the pool' as you so eloquently put it.

I just see it as lame and yeah in real life those type of people would get a punch in the face from me. But in real life those type of people wouldn't have the nuts to speak up, just on the internet.

I totally understand where your coming from and the soe bashing can get quite old. But unfortunately this will never stop. The more you say, the worse it gets. Unfortunatley the VSoH players are just going to have to overcome this obstacle with the way soe reputation is in the mmo world.

Its like talking to a wall. If you got a strong tolerance, well, its time to develop even a stronger one. But I assume its nothing personal agaist people that want to play it. (well at least when I say my piece).

The ones that feed the anti soe peeps are usually the ones that say, get off our forums, stop trolling us, stop feeding the trolls, get lost and yadda yadda yadda. Best advice to anyone, just dont respond to the derogatory remarks about VSoH, if you do, the cycles starts all over again and again.

I hope you find the enjoyment in the game and hope its the mmo that everyone and you claim it to be.

I totally understand where your coming from and the soe bashing can get quite old. But unfortunately this will never stop. The more you say, the worse it gets. Unfortunatley the VSoH players are just going to have to overcome this obstacle with the way soe reputation is in the mmo world.
    Its like talking to a wall. If you got a strong tolerance, well, its time to develop even a stronger one. But I assume its nothing personal agaist people that want to play it. (well at least when I say my piece).
    The ones that feed the anti soe peeps are usually the ones that say, get off our forums, stop trolling us, stop feeding the trolls, get lost and yadda yadda yadda. Best advice to anyone, just dont respond to the derogatory remarks about VSoH, if you do, the cycles starts all over again and again.
    I hope you find the enjoyment in the game and hope its the mmo that everyone and you claim it to be.

You're so right and thanks for a good post.

The point of this post is not to malign SOE. It's to raise this event as a reasonable possibility for the future.

It's relevent because Sigil's argument to its fanbase is that "We know you don't like SOE. We respect that. But you don't have to worry, guy. Cause SOE has no control over development. We're being super serial."

All I'm saying is that argument kinda goes out the window when you realize that 6 months from now, SOE could be owing Sigil. Then where does that leave the fans worried about SOE mismanagement and encroachment?