Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

NCSOFT suspends my account.

PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956
So i decide to give CoV yet another whirl.

I create a character called Stalin's Hammer and i make him a brute with invulnerable and stone hammer/melee.Keep in mind i see another character with the name "Brokeback mountain man".

Well apparently i violated the EULA somehow with the name.

Here is what i dont get.

I dont think that anyone that was involved in that part of world history is even playing the game.I seriously doubt that anyone in the 12 to 16 year old age bracket even KNOWS who Joseph Stalin was.

I replied to the email telling them all they had to do was ASK me ingame to change the name wich i would have gladly done anyway.As it is i was actually looking for a reason to stop playing anyway i just dont have the time to dedicate to ANY mmo.

So is it just me or is the NCSOFT naming policy a bit over the top?

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Dont start a guild and dont be a leader or volunteer to be coleader or captain.

Just play the damn game:)

Comments

• tigris67tigris67 Member UncommonPosts: 1,762
    I agree with NCSOFT for not allowing the name. I mean, they wouldn't let somone name their character abraham lincoln I don't think, mainly because its not an origonal type of superhero name. But I DO disagree with them for suspending you, I mean they should have given you a warning e-mail or ingame message and just had asked you to change your account name.

Hi! My name is paper. Nerf scissors, rock is fine.
    MMORPG = Mostly Men Online Roleplaying Girls
    http://www.MichaelLuckhardt.com

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by tigris67
    I agree with NCSOFT for not allowing the name. I mean, they wouldn't let somone name their character abraham lincoln I don't think, mainly because its not an origonal type of superhero name. But I DO disagree with them for suspending you, I mean they should have given you a warning e-mail or ingame message and just had asked you to change your account name.

ok, but he didn't name the toon joseph stalin.  would you find   lincoln's hat   unacceptable?

i find it hard to believe that only one person in the history of the world ever had the name stalin or lincoln. 

what exact aspect of the eula does stalin's hammer break? 

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Congrats to NCSoft.

..for taking action against your "Stalin" name.

Shame on them for not simply logging you out and telling you that you need to choose a different name before being able to log back in. A suspension was definately not called for it doesn't seem...
    unless they actually suspended you for what you might have been saying or doing with that character in the game. For example if you were talking racist talk or trying to re-enact as Stalin or harassing someone in the game with your Stalin character... then that would make a little more sense on their part.

- Zaxx

• PraorPraor Member Posts: 519
    Did ya at least report the Butt-Pirate with the other name ?

Waiting on Guild Wars 2

• PuoltryPuoltry Member Posts: 956
    Ok if were talking offensive names here what about "brokeback mountainman"?I mean kids DO play this game right?
    Would you REALLY want to explain THAT to a 8 year old?

I just seems to me that they were making it a generalization here.Stalin was a monster of a human being sure but my character was in no way portraying him whatsoever.

After all its called City of Villians right?

My bio for the character was along the lines of a secret lab creating a "super soldier"that resulted in Stalin's HAMMER.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

Originally posted by Praor
    Did ya at least report the Butt-Pirate with the other name ?

No i was merely pointing out the inconsistencies in the naming policy.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Originally posted by damian7
    ok, but he didn't name the toon joseph stalin. would you find lincoln's hat unacceptable?i find it hard to believe that only one person in the history of the world ever had the name stalin or lincoln. what exact aspect of the eula does stalin's hammer break?

I agree with you to some degree Damian, but Stalin isn't exactly a common name I don't think and it is pretty obvious (much more then Lincoln) what his name refers to.

If I were NCSoft, I would also make a character rename his toon if he named it something like "Bin Ladens Aircraft". Just because the toon wasn't named "Osama Bin Laden", it is pretty obvious that the name alone can be offensive to other players and that really is the only important thing. Can other players take strong offense to the name? If yes, then a new name is needed.

- Zaxx

• baffbaff Member Posts: 9,457

As far as I'm concerned Stalin and Lincoln's names are both cool, they are neither offensive nor copywrighted.

I'm personally not bothered about Bin Laden names either, although I recognise that other people might take that as an excuse to flame. If Bin Laden's name was censored, I'd see the point, Stalin and Lincoln however.......

What's that all about?

Get a life NCSOFT.

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    The funny part about this is theyve banned you for using "Stalin" but the U.S.S.R Hook and Hammer is a detail you can put on your chest in character creation.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• niakoriniakori Member Posts: 53
    Well, I guess someone was bored enough with life to report you.
    I actually thought a brute with the name Stalin's Hammer would be cool, I mean, you're a villian right?
    I dont know what's their problem, like removing the neo nazi baddies... forgot the name, haven't played in forever.

~dai

• BuZZKilgoreBuZZKilgore Member Posts: 525

Did they let you know how long you're suspended for? This happend to me once and it lasted about 3 days, when I logged back on my character's name had been changed to " Hero 632452" an no way I could change it. They wanted me to email them some names and "they" would change it for me, so I just deleted that character and started a new one.

• GreatnessGreatness Member UncommonPosts: 2,180
    Actually, I believe people in the 12-16 year old range would know Stalin. World War II is being taught early on now adays.

~Greatness~

Currently Playing:
    Nothing

• NeptusNeptus Member UncommonPosts: 988

But what idiot would take offense to Stalin's Hammer?
    I wouldn't dood, I seriously think that is a awesome name for a villian.
    I named my hero Rodney Dangerfield and they asked me to rename, but....I guess one of the guys at NCSOFT must have been in WWII and took offense.

Neptus - FFXI - Pandemonium
    Neptus - WoW - Detheroc

• GamewizeGamewize Member Posts: 956

It just shows how stupid they are, getting upset about a name, Stalin was evil but he was a human nonetheless. I remember in the C&C Red Alert chat you couldnt say "Hitler" otherwise you'd get a 30 minute ban.

Nothing to fear or get upset about a name...

I think it's the objective of your past self to make you cringe.

• KormacKormac Member Posts: 297

Pro-name: Stalin's Hammer is an appropriate name for a person who has been "developed" (as a weapon would). It is rather cool too, and implies that the creature is a merciless and powerful tool (again, appropriate for the story given).

But then. Consider the possibility that you might get sued for inappropriate content, or get a modified rating in one nation, or whatever may happen. It may happen, and I'm sure they all want to stay on the safe side. And the simplest ways to avoid active discrimination: Allow everything, or ban everything.

Regardless of their reasons however, their handling of the issue is horrible. It is beyond making little sense and well into actively emptying servers. At least, that's what I imagine.

And how mister brokeback escaped?

Either, nobody bothered to report him, or the particular moderator didn't think it was such a horrible name. There may be possibilities I have not thought of here, certainly. I can see personal opinion affecting judgement on many levels here, though - where flat out policy line with no exceptions would be the tidiest procedure. (Under such conditions, Stalin's Hammer would have awfully slim chances of surviving, but the company would not be discriminating actively or by accident).

And the contradiction in offering a Hammer-and-Sickle adornment for your character... Duh!

Much you could do in other names. But Stalin's Hammer did feel like a good, strong name. Sorry you couldn't keep it. Amazed you got suspended.

Regards, Kormac

The future: Adellion
    Common flaw in MMORPGs: The ability to die casually
    Advantages of Adellion: Dynamic world (affected by its inhabitants)
    Player-driven world (beasts won't be an endless supply of mighty swords, gold will come from mines, not dragonly dens)
    Player-driven world (Leadership is the privilege of a player, not an npc)

Originally posted by Spathotan
    The funny part about this is theyve banned you for using "Stalin" but the U.S.S.R Hook and Hammer is a detail you can put on your chest in character creation.

Well i did in fact have that detail on my chest.I mean really what did they expect?

They enable people to use their imaginations through the character creation tool that imho is the best of any mmo.

Funny thing about it is i had ANOTHER character called Miracle Man that i based on the actual comic book character,i had the look almost perfect.I played that character for well over 6 months BEFORE the marvel lawsuit.I even had a VERY similar bio.

They didnt even know that i had the name before i told them and voluntarily changed it to "Miraculous man".

BTW the suspension was for the standard 3 days its just too bad they have a no tolerance policy when it suits them to have 1.Ive seen so many truly offensive names that are just completly juvenile that you know the person did it just to get negative attention.

I was merely using my imagination and attempting to create a history.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928

Originally posted by Puoltry

Originally posted by Spathotan

Well i did in fact have that detail on my chest.I mean really what did they expect?

They enable people to use their imaginations through the character creation tool that imho is the best of any mmo.

Funny thing about it is i had ANOTHER character called Miracle Man that i based on the actual comic book character,i had the look almost perfect.I played that character for well over 6 months BEFORE the marvel lawsuit.I even had a VERY similar bio.

They didnt even know that i had the name before i told them and voluntarily changed it to "Miraculous man".

BTW the suspension was for the standard 3 days its just too bad they have a no tolerance policy when it suits them to have 1.Ive seen so many truly offensive names that are just completly juvenile that you know the person did it just to get negative attention.

I was merely using my imagination and attempting to create a history.

I hear ya man, I dont agree with the ban. I played on Villian side on uhhh Infinity I think, I saw Iron Mann....Captain American (notice its American...not America) just to name a few. Not only are those very similiar to copyrighted characters, but these people were playing villains with those names....lol.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Well, they didn't ban a subscribing customer.  You have a free trial, they should have treated you like a subscribing player, but you say they didn't.

I never see a subscribing player been banned for such a reason, he was running around with a name like: Generichero212.

Maybe they do differently to trial folks...or maybe you are just making up a story.

They are enforcing the naming policy a LOT, more than they used to...but you should thanks Marvel for that, by sueing them and asking that the naming policy was enforced, Marvel did change this aspect of CoH, so if you are really angry about that:

http://www.marvel.com/

Feedback them how their sueing of NCsoft and Cryptic impact your experience negatively, they are to be remember their actions.

I did run around with a toon named Pacini Ro, it was looking like some Italian giant with a heavy beard(a fire tanker)...I guess the restaurant or SoE could have request my toon to change name...but the restaurant prolly never know and if SoE saw my toon, they prolly enjoy it even more than anyone else, as this is, after all, an homage to their world, no matter what the form take, an homage is an homage and it is also, free publicity!

A guy was playing a MasterMind with GI pets, sending them to their deaths abusively and enjoying to see them die...he was nammed George W. Bush...he was not banned, but he has to change his name.

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Originally posted by Anofalye

Well, they didn't ban a subscribing customer.  You have a free trial, they should have treated you like a subscribing player, but you say they didn't.

I never see a subscribing player been banned for such a reason, he was running around with a name like: Generichero212.

Maybe they do differently to trial folks...or maybe you are just making up a story.

They are enforcing the naming policy a LOT, more than they used to...but you should thanks Marvel for that, by sueing them and asking that the naming policy was enforced, Marvel did change this aspect of CoH, so if you are really angry about that:

http://www.marvel.com/

Feedback them how their sueing of NCsoft and Cryptic impact your experience negatively, they are to be remember their actions.

I did run around with a toon named Pacini Ro, it was looking like some Italian giant with a heavy beard(a fire tanker)...I guess the restaurant or SoE could have request my toon to change name...but the restaurant prolly never know and if SoE saw my toon, they prolly enjoy it even more than anyone else, as this is, after all, an homage to their world, no matter what the form take, an homage is an homage and it is also, free publicity!

A guy was playing a MasterMind with GI pets, sending them to their deaths abusively and enjoying to see them die...he was nammed George W. Bush...he was not banned, but he has to change his name.

I was not banned i was suspended for 72 hours.

Im not angry whatsoever i was just pointing out the inconsistencies in the policy they have towards naming characters.This was a paid account and to be honest the game really isnt that good i was just killing time.This was just the push that made me cancel the account.

Did you actually read my original posting?Like i have nothing better to do than lie about a stupid friggin game for whatever reason?

There is a big difference between banning and suspension.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077
    Suspension was a bit much but the EULA is pretty clear about the naming policy.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

Originally posted by Elnator
    Suspension was a bit much but the EULA is pretty clear about the naming policy.

Yeah i know and im really cool with that.They do have to protect their bottom line after all.I just took issue with so many more offensive names in that game then the 1 i came up with.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• AnofalyeAnofalye Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 7,433

Originally posted by Puoltry
    I was not banned i was suspended for 72 hours.

Im not angry whatsoever i was just pointing out the inconsistencies in the policy they have towards naming characters.This was a paid account and to be honest the game really isnt that good i was just killing time.This was just the push that made me cancel the account.

Did you actually read my original posting?Like i have nothing better to do than lie about a stupid friggin game for whatever reason?

There is a big difference between banning and suspension.

I apologize, but you must understand that I just find this a bit exagerated for them to suspend a paying customer and since they give me a relatively good service and every person I know confirm that, I still have only your words for it.

I am not calling you a lier even if I am questionning what you say.  Keeping a critic mind and not believing everything because folks tell me it is that way, well this is central to someone growth.

Again I apologize for bruising your feelings, this is not the intend.  But I am still questionning the truth of what you say, I don't say it it a lie, I don't say it is right, I am questionning it.  You would be better just to be happy that I am questionning it, usually peoples who get angry when you question what they say, are either victims (I hope it is not your case) or lying.  Yet, I am merely guessing here.

I will even apologize a 3rd time, but I still have to question the veracity of this information.  If you are right, NCsoft should consider what they are doing, if you are lying, well...anyway, that is not the point now.

These boards are filled with peoples with various intend.  Me if you read my signature, you must have guessed what is my driving goal on been around, everytime I write a message, my signature is spreaded once more.  I really just hope to help peoples in general, this include you and mostly everyone.

And yes, some peoples are just loging in to spread good/evil on some games, to promotes the games they prefer.  I try to be above that and promote the gameplay I enjoy myself, and no, I have nothing better to do then to come around and spread 'my truth'.

Finally, I would be angry myself if a game would ban or suspend any of my account, no matter if I deserve it or not.  Admitting that you are angry (or displeased slightly) is not wrong.  I would indeed be furious if a company suspend me for ANY reason, especially if it was something like that...I mean, suspending me?  For a name code violation?  I would be outraged myself.  I would say just how much they lack and put many:

BioWare rules, real devs at work!  Visit www.BioWare.com!  Since instead of trashing peoples who make me angry, I find it better to praise their most worthy competitors!  It achieve more results anyway, as those devs are avid surfers and easily get jealous!    If I say SoE is ?*%$&*, they read it, they are slightly annoyed, they dismiss it...if I say:  BioWare are walking Gods!  They rules!  They are the best in the industry...they might dream about it, I may even convince them(doubtfull, but a LOT more likely than if I bash them).  Especially that in the case of BioWare, they have peoples in THEIR teams who are AVID fans of BioWare.  Don't tell me that nobody at SoE or Cryptic or even Blizzard are avid fans of BioWare, I know there are at least a FEW in each of those companies.    The reason is simple, it is BioWare is just THAT good!   Even if they know I do it on purpose, it hardly change anything, they would rather read their beloved company be praised than peoples who deserve it a lot more like the walking Gods at BioWare! 

- "If I understand you well, you are telling me until next time. " - Ren

Point taken.

But hey it is just a game nothing more.Ive already canceled the account as it were and moved on.I just thought i would let everyone know how broad and generalized the naming policy is.

Afterall there are other games and developers who want my hard earned cash.

Want to ENJOY an mmo?

• EindrachenEindrachen Member Posts: 211

Considering the total lack of sensible action against worse names, and even worse behavior, NCSoft made a stupid call on this one.

"Stalin's Hammer" isn't nearly as offensive as some of the names, and language, I've seen used in the game, yet it got the entire account suspended?  What kind of ignorant logic is that?

Just because crap is in a EULA doesn't make it "right".  It might protect the company legally for failure to provide a paid-for service, but it's still morally repugnant of them.

Never let lawyers dictate ethics.  It's as moronic as letting politicians decide what's best for you.

• AldaronAldaron Member Posts: 1,048

Anyone who gets offended by "Stalin's Hammer", would be offended by anything.

Rather pathetic if you ask me - Shall we remove all traces of soviet russia in a myriad of games lest it offend someone?

There's a thing called respect, and then there is permanent egg-shell walking; anyone who continually walks on egg-shells and requests/orders everyone around them to do the same can suck the fun out of everything like a blackhole.

"Fear not death; for the sooner we die, the longer shall we be immortal."