Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Think twice before starting this game

2»

Comments

• ladyloreladylore Member Posts: 126

Originally posted by SobaMan

Originally posted by Fadeus

Originally posted by Novaseeker

Originally posted by CopelandYou're 100% wrong sorry. This game is all about casual play. If you got over involved in it and it sucked you in that was your choice.

Actually no. If you play EVE casually all you are going to end up doing is secure space mining, mission grinding, and logging in to change your skills. To get into the serious corps that offer some real action you need to guarantee time and effort towards the game that is abit more then casual friendly.
    I just went through this and this is the exact reason why I am cancelling my subs for the second time around. Playing EVE casually means paying to be able to log in and set skills to train every so often. If you want to enjoy the sandbox gameplay aspect you need to get into 0.0 space which requires abit more commitment.
    Not true.I am a director of a 0.0 living corp and I play, on average, about 2 hours a day.  Some days I am more inspired and I play 4 hours, and sometimes it is around that on weekends as well, but on average it's between 8pm and 10pm or 11pm.  I don't live in high-sec, I do get involved in PvP, corporate diplomacy and politics, and I also help to run a corp of around 80 players.  When I need to make ISK I can go hunt NPCs in the system next door that have 1m bounties on them for a couple of days, for 2-3 hours at a time, and replenish the wallet rather fast.So, no.  It's very, very possible to play EVE at a very high level in 0.0 on a rather casual basis.

Since when is 2 to 4 hours a day casual? Casual is like a few times a week. Sorry I don't see how you proved me wrong with your statement, you are putting a sizeable time investment into the game and far from casual play.

Your defenition of casual, mate.  Sounds like you shouldn't be playing MMOs at all.  You should switch to FPSs.  I say this because ALL MMOs require time.  Eve is simply one of the best games for us casual gamers.  If you can't find yourself improving in Eve... then you're playing the wrong genre or you need to losen up your schedule.  I won't make you do either (duh!), but I think that's the soundest advice I can give you.

Actually - that is a LOT of people's definition of casual - one where you can actually only play for a few hours on Saturdays and Sundays and still feel like you are making progress.  WOW is an example of a MMO that is like that, at least for now (we are in our mid 30's).  I and the people I play with literally log in 2 or 3 times a week and don't feel like we are missing much in the meantime.

I don't see how doing anything that is only of entertainment value for 2 to 4 hours a day (including watching television) can be considered merely 'casual' by anyone.
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Your defenition of casual, mate.  Sounds like you shouldn't be playing MMOs at all.  You should switch to FPSs.  I say this because ALL MMOs require time.  Eve is simply one of the best games for us casual gamers.  If you can't find yourself improving in Eve... then you're playing the wrong genre or you need to losen up your schedule.  I won't make you do either (duh!), but I think that's the soundest advice I can give you.

You are making some pretty hefty assumptions of me. I said I play EVE casually, not all MMO's. And I am sory but you are mistaken, if I shouldn't be playing MMO's because of the times I listed then feel free to explain all the success with games that are geared to the casual player versus the hardcore games on the market.

ANY game requires time to play it. However with other MMO's my advancement is directly related to the amount of time put in and not how long I leave my account alive so I can set a new skill to train. I really don't see your point with this, EVE is not a casual friendly game unless you can accept the grind of missions and mining and not get bored to tears with it after a long time of play. Or you want to just keep training skills and not utilizing the game to a fraction of it's potential. I have watched many casual players and even non-casual players burn out of EVE for 2 reasons. They either don't want to PvP or they don't have the time to put into a good PvP corp.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• KnightblastKnightblast Member UncommonPosts: 1,787
    Well eventually discussions like this always come down to the definition of what is "casual". 

I do consider 2-3 hours a day as "casual".  Others think it isn't.   It's a definitional issue and we will go around and around and around in circles not convincing each other.  To me, it starts to get non-casual when it gets to 4-6 hours a day, particularly for those who work for a living, because that means the game is taking up almost all of your free time.  For me 2-3 hours is just that ... 2-3 hours.  It's less than half of the free time I have in any given evening, and I still have plenty of time to read, go to the gym and so forth.  So to me, that is casual.

Originally posted by Novaseeker
    Well eventually discussions like this always come down to the definition of what is "casual".  I do consider 2-3 hours a day as "casual".  Others think it isn't.   It's a definitional issue and we will go around and around and around in circles not convincing each other.  To me, it starts to get non-casual when it gets to 4-6 hours a day, particularly for those who work for a living, because that means the game is taking up almost all of your free time.  For me 2-3 hours is just that ... 2-3 hours.  It's less than half of the free time I have in any given evening, and I still have plenty of time to read, go to the gym and so forth.  So to me, that is casual.

Unfortunetly with my work week 4 days a week 4 hours is my entire evening before bed but yes it's different for everyone however between the need to be active in the better corps to hold your place AND how susicious many are now of "spies" casual play makes trying to break in to that area a real pain in the ass.

I tried to get my miner into a few, it was aggrivating to say the least. I am bored to sin with secure space. I NEVER liked doing missions, and mining has lost what little luster it had for me. That leaves me down to logging in to change skills, which to me isn't worth paying for. I have 2 toons, 22 million SP between the 2 and I am just going to let them go idle. They aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread but they are highly specialized and very effective.

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

You are making some pretty hefty assumptions of me. I said I play EVE casually, not all MMO's. And I am sory but you are mistaken, if I shouldn't be playing MMO's because of the times I listed then feel free to explain all the success with games that are geared to the casual player versus the hardcore games on the market.

ANY game requires time to play it. However with other MMO's my advancement is directly related to the amount of time put in and not how long I leave my account alive so I can set a new skill to train. I really don't see your point with this, EVE is not a casual friendly game unless you can accept the grind of missions and mining and not get bored to tears with it after a long time of play. Or you want to just keep training skills and not utilizing the game to a fraction of it's potential. I have watched many casual players and even non-casual players burn out of EVE for 2 reasons. They either don't want to PvP or they don't have the time to put into a good PvP corp.

I didn't mean to insult you, nor did I suggest you were playing other MMOs... so...

I guess I could give you a bit of background on me.  I work full time.  That's 8 hours a day, 5 days a week.  Up until a couple weeks ago, I was also going to college.  Not to mention, my girlfriend hates when I'm playing Eve, so she tries to get me away from it as much as possible.  Needless to say, I couldn't really find much time to play Eve, either.  But, the way the game is, it allowed me to "keep going" without progression... if that made sense.  I kept training and getting better character wise, while my faction and my money and everything else that comes with gameplay were only progressing when I got on.

Somebody brought up how WoW allows this kind of stuff too.  The only difference being, WoW is a complete grind game.  You must be playing in order to get better at anything.  There's nothing wrong with that if that's what you like, but if you can keep up in WoW then... well... bad example...  Eve is casual friendly.  The skill tree was designed specifically for people who could only be on for an hour or so a night.

Of course casual gamers aren't going to have as much money as the hardcore gamers... that happens in any game.  Funny thing is though, that if you really want to, you'll make it to the proverbial "top" in any game.  I usually play for about an hour a day.  I'm lucky if I get more time.  Believe it or not, but my weekends are even worse than my week days.  I still make plenty of money.  I've managed to get a level 3 agent to 10.0 standing with me, and I'm still working on getting a faction Raven... to trade for a faction Megathron... even though Gallente have been getting _teh shaft 01_ lately...

I think when people have a "casual gamer" problem with Eve it's because there is no end game.  In WoW, or EQ(2), Lineage (2), DAoC, etc... there are end games and level caps.  That makes it a lot easier to decifer where the "top" is.  People are able to grasp on to a comparison and a "catch-up point."  In Eve, you keep playing.  There are "dungeons" that only "top" players can go in (and survive... anybody can go in them), but Eve has no end point.  No cap.  Its open-endedness makes it seem much "harder" to some casual gamers.

I tried to get my miner into a few, it was aggrivating to say the least. I am bored to sin with secure space. I NEVER liked doing missions, and mining has lost what little luster it had for me. That leaves me down to logging in to change skills, which to me isn't worth paying for. I have 2 toons, 22 million SP between the 2 and I am just going to let them go idle. They aren't the greatest thing since sliced bread but they are highly specialized and very effective.

You have to find the fun, mate.  It won't find you.  To lots, that's what makes Eve so great.  To lots, that's what makes Eve suck.  Good luck with that, but it sounds more like you have a problem with boredom rather than Eve's casual friendlyness.

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.
  • Stumpy26Stumpy26 Member Posts: 189

The first few days on eve online made me feel like alice in wonderland and a very Huge complicated and confusing wonderland at that. Now I have been 30 days on eve (some may call me a noob and YES I AM :P). But Ive been on long enough to know that eve is a great game!! Yes I agree that it is complicated, unforgiving when it comes to making mistakes but it is a great game none the less.  For those of you that said that noobs just get owned by vet players:

1.  If you goto low sec space expect to get podded or ransomed and

2. When you become a vet I hardly believe that you would do otherwise. 

I also ventured to low sec space and got owned by a pirate Hallee after she popped my ship (but didn’t pod me) and noticed I was only on for 5 days she apologised and sent me isk for a new Merlin.  This gesture got me hooked on eve.

As a closing note I would like to add: Eve IMO is more for the mature gamer and not for teenagers who play WOW which is probably where the majority of negative posts come form.

• BarrowBarrow Member Posts: 48

ive been playing eve for roughly 3.8 years.

In that time ive had casual times where I only logged in 4-8 hours a month and ive had insane times where I logged close to 20 hours a day. This winter I decided that I wanted to do agent missions, for a month I logged 2-4 hours a day and earned a billion isk in that month. Since then ive reduced that to 2-4 hours a week trading on the market.

This summer I plan to help my alliance with some stuff, this will entail a large login time, most if not all of those things however dont need direct interaction from me as a player. I can usually read a book, watch a movie and even clean my apartment while im doing them.

At the same time my friend who is playing WoW is spending all his sundays and one weekday running large instances sometimes for 8 hours each time. The other evenings he's grinding honor points in pvp, last I knew he had 5 lvl 60 toons in WoW. For me thats insane and I look at my accumulative 60 million skillpoints in three characters and I smile, some people disagree and think 5 lvl 60's matter more - thats life.

It's not the game that defines how addictive it is, it's the person playing.

Learn to accept that your not going to create the next ASCN, BOB or Stain Alliance and you will not be a recognised name among the population of eve and you can find a niche where you can enjoy the game without letting it consume your life.

You have to find the fun, mate.  It won't find you.  To lots, that's what makes Eve so great.  To lots, that's what makes Eve suck.  Good luck with that, but it sounds more like you have a problem with boredom rather than Eve's casual friendlyness.

No, I don't think my point is clear still to some. I am bored with the game because of it's lack of casual friendliness.

- Scaris

No, I don't think my point is clear still to some. I am bored with the game because of it's lack of casual friendliness.

You only work 4 days a week with 4 hours a night to yourself.  That's more than some of the most powerful players in Eve can find.  I'm not quite sure what hoops you're expecting CCP to jump through, but come'on man... I WISH I had 4 hours a night to play!  That's 2 level 3 Ganza missions or 1 level 4!  In four hours, hell... in three hours in Eve, it is possible to make several MILLION ISK... and most of the ways to make it don't even require you to be fully attentive... just aware.  You don't need to grind your skills because they train whether your in game or not, and a good mission will generally give you a couple million in bounties and a mil (or close to) in Mission Completion Rewards.  You can AFK mine, or actually mine, and in a short amount of time you can make anywhere from 2 million to 20 million ISK.  All these things require are around 1 to 4 hours of play time.  Hell, AFK mining is something you can do while you sleep.  You can't go anywhere in any other game while you sleep.  Try grinding a WoW dungeon in your sleep... or... more parallel to mining... try "supply farming" in WoW while you sleep.  How much more casual friendly could Eve be, honestly?

SobaKai.com

Originally posted by Fadeus Originally posted by SobaManYou have to find the fun, mate.  It won't find you.  To lots, that's what makes Eve so great.  To lots, that's what makes Eve suck.  Good luck with that, but it sounds more like you have a problem with boredom rather than Eve's casual friendlyness.
    No, I don't think my point is clear still to some. I am bored with the game because of it's lack of casual friendliness.You only work 4 days a week with 4 hours a night to yourself.  That's more than some of the most powerful players in Eve can find.  I'm not quite sure what hoops you're expecting CCP to jump through, but come'on man... I WISH I had 4 hours a night to play!  That's 2 level 3 Ganza missions or 1 level 4!  In four hours, hell... in three hours in Eve, it is possible to make several MILLION ISK... and most of the ways to make it don't even require you to be fully attentive... just aware.  You don't need to grind your skills because they train whether your in game or not, and a good mission will generally give you a couple million in bounties and a mil (or close to) in Mission Completion Rewards.  You can AFK mine, or actually mine, and in a short amount of time you can make anywhere from 2 million to 20 million ISK.  All these things require are around 1 to 4 hours of play time.  Hell, AFK mining is something you can do while you sleep.  You can't go anywhere in any other game while you sleep.  Try grinding a WoW dungeon in your sleep... or... more parallel to mining... try "supply farming" in WoW while you sleep.  How much more casual friendly could Eve be, honestly?

Here we go again. No I said I have 4 hours from the time I get home til I have to get to bed those nights. I never said I had 4 hours a night to play.

Skills are not supposed to be the highlight of EVE, the gameplay is. I am rather sorry you can't seem to accept that I don't feel it's casual friendly. You seem to have hell bent on disproving me. Had you read my posts completely above you would have already seen 90% of the things you listed I could be doing Iam tired of and do NOT want to do. Missions are NOT fun, just a requirement for faction. Mining is NOT fun, just a requirement to fulfill mineral needs. What does making isk have to do with having fun again? I really don't see your point other then to argue me.

And sorry but I am not going to AFK mine, if I can't be at my keyboard to do it myself then it shouldn't be done IN game. I am sorry you would actually afk mine which is a violation of the game's agreement.

And why would I want to do a WoW dungeon in my sleep exactly? They are FUN.

- Scaris

Originally posted by SobaManYou have to find the fun, mate.  It won't find you.  To lots, that's what makes Eve so great.  To lots, that's what makes Eve suck.  Good luck with that, but it sounds more like you have a problem with boredom rather than Eve's casual friendlyness.

You only work 4 days a week with 4 hours a night to yourself.  That's more than some of the most powerful players in Eve can find.  I'm not quite sure what hoops you're expecting CCP to jump through, but come'on man... I WISH I had 4 hours a night to play!  That's 2 level 3 Ganza missions or 1 level 4!  In four hours, hell... in three hours in Eve, it is possible to make several MILLION ISK... and most of the ways to make it don't even require you to be fully attentive... just aware.  You don't need to grind your skills because they train whether your in game or not, and a good mission will generally give you a couple million in bounties and a mil (or close to) in Mission Completion Rewards.  You can AFK mine, or actually mine, and in a short amount of time you can make anywhere from 2 million to 20 million ISK.  All these things require are around 1 to 4 hours of play time.  Hell, AFK mining is something you can do while you sleep.  You can't go anywhere in any other game while you sleep.  Try grinding a WoW dungeon in your sleep... or... more parallel to mining... try "supply farming" in WoW while you sleep.  How much more casual friendly could Eve be, honestly?

Here we go again. No I said I have 4 hours from the time I get home til I have to get to bed those nights. I never said I had 4 hours a night to play.

Skills are not supposed to be the highlight of EVE, the gameplay is. I am rather sorry you can't seem to accept that I don't feel it's casual friendly. You seem to have hell bent on disproving me. Had you read my posts completely above you would have already seen 90% of the things you listed I could be doing Iam tired of and do NOT want to do. Missions are NOT fun, just a requirement for faction. Mining is NOT fun, just a requirement to fulfill mineral needs. What does making isk have to do with having fun again? I really don't see your point other then to argue me.

And sorry but I am not going to AFK mine, if I can't be at my keyboard to do it myself then it shouldn't be done IN game. I am sorry you would actually afk mine which is a violation of the game's agreement.

And why would I want to do a WoW dungeon in my sleep exactly? They are FUN.

This is why I recommended playing a different game back in the original post.  Again, I'm not trying to insult you or "prove you wrong," but it doesn't sound like your problem is with casual friendlyness.  Go play some different games.  You might find one that's better suited for you, or you might realize what you enjoy about Eve.  Hopefully though, you'll find something you like.

SobaKai.com

This is why I recommended playing a different game back in the original post.  Again, I'm not trying to insult you or "prove you wrong," but it doesn't sound like your problem is with casual friendlyness.  Go play some different games.  You might find one that's better suited for you, or you might realize what you enjoy about Eve.  Hopefully though, you'll find something you like.

I have quite a few I do enjoy. I would like to enjoy EVE more however it will probably be a primary game for me so I am left without much I enjoy in it at the moment. But nothing can be for everyone otherwise it would all be the same and no one would like it! ::::20::

- Scaris