Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The final WoW vs. EQ2 Thread - Hopefully :)

porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

Okay.   

I have played EQ2 and WoW extensively.  I am not biased.  You may not believe me after reading this, but if not, then you're wrong.  I have been a fan of Blizzard's for years.  And I was looking forward to WoW long before I ever gave EQ2 a second glance.  So keep that in mind if you feel like judging me.

Now, having played both games.  I can honestly say that I have NO idea how first off the reviews for both games that came out were so slanted.  EQ2 is a very complex game.  WoW is not.  It's a ripoff of every other game that has come out, with bonus pretty cartoon graphics that can run on almost any computer, post-Commodore. 

I am not normally a conspiracy theorist, but if there is any situation that merits a conspiracy theory it's the reviews that came in for both games when they came out.

Next point is that having played both games, can anyone (who has also played both games) tell me honestly that they see any originality in WoW?   If you feel you can then I invite you to prove me wrong.  Actually, I challenge you to prove me wrong.  Because I know that any feature in WoW that you call original I can point to another game that had it first. 

And last.  The fun factor.  Now that EQ2 has PvP that is actually fun (as opposed to WoW's), anyone who has played both games will tell you (if they're honest) that EQ2 kicks WoW's butt in the fun factory.  WoW gets so boring that it takes a defibrillator and two vials of epinephrine to get me going again after that. 

I know that a bunch of people are going to disagree with me on the basis that they think SOE sucks.  But I ask, please, if you feel that that's the reason to disagree with me, then just stick to the "I HATE SOE" threads and let this one be an honest debate.

---------------------------------

Update:
I just wanted to make my intention on starting this post really clear...

I know that it may seem like I am just trying to flame to some people for posting this.  But honestly, it was not my intent.  My intent in starting this post is to let people know that EQ2, at it's current stage, is a far superior game in so many ways.

I know that there are going to be some people that will like WoW better.  That's obvious to me.  But what I'm trying to do is let people in general know that they really should give EQ2 a chance. 

I'm not one to subscribe to the idea that popularity makes for quality.  So anyone making that argument to me just know that it doesn't matter.  It's like saying that McDonald's has better food than Ruth's Chris Steakhouse.  More people eat at McDonalds, but the quality isn't there.  If anything it's mostly convenience.  Which makes a good point. 

WoW is an easier game to pick up quickly.  And there's a reason for that.  It's a simpler game.  There's not nearly the complexity or things to learn and do in it. 

I learned everything I needed to know in WoW in about a month.  That was it.  It didn't take that long to learn all the eccentricities of that game.  The crafting system, the combat system, the questing system.  They were easy to learn and convenient to pick up.  But that's not what I think most people who really like gaming want.  And to this day I am STILL finding things to learn about in EQ2.  And that amazes me that the designers were able to put so much depth into the game.

I promise that I am just trying to get a point across to MMO players from a nice guy perspective.  If you are a big time gamer who wants to pick up a great game that will hold your attention and intrigue for a long amount of time and are trying to decide between WoW and EQ2 I KNOW that 90% of the big time gamers who pick up both games and stick with them will find EQ2 way better.

And one last thing I want to say.  Please believe me.  You can't know anything about EQ2 by doing the island trial.  Doing that trial just doesn't introduce you to anything. 

I hope that this gets more people to try EQ2.  Because I'm absolutely confident that anyone looking for a good complex MMO with bigtime fun and lot's of activities will be happy with my advice. 

-----------------------
</OBAMA>

Comments

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    Thank you for your unbiased opinions. I can see that you really took the time to weigh the important issues that player have with each game against one another. Nice job.

• EnterraEnterra Member Posts: 10

i agree 100%, never got how every loves wow and its grafix,

and by the way i been a huge fan of blizzard, even before they were blizzard

they use to make snes games like rock and roll racing(with larry the huffer hofman)

under the named silicone synape

and have had several friends work there

diablo is probly my favorite game all time, non mmorp

with wc2 second, i quit smoking for that game, i thought youd have to start lvl over if you saved

just cant click with wow for alot of reasons

but i honestly cant think of a complaint for eq2

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    Ive played both games, but Im only currently playing WoW right now and unfortunately I never got to experience the PvP in EQ2, but my GF who still plays says its preety fun. There isnt really any "uber" classes in the PvP, shes seen a Warden destroy an Assassin, then a Berserker take out the Warden, then a Paladin take out the Berserker, then a Coercer take out the Paladin, you get the idea; balanced.

The PvP in WoW is to shaped, every battle follows the same path, espically Rouge battles. Battles against Rouges are probably the worse PvP ive ever seen in any game ive ever played, its that bad. Its basically a dizzy battle, Rouge does nothing but jump and run in circles trying to get behind the target, and always ends in the same way, either the Rouge wins by getting some help, or the Rouge gouges then sprints away right before he/she dies. Ive never lost to a Rouge 1vs1, ever, no chance whatsoever against a Paladin, end of story. The same can be applied to Mages, frost nova, teleport, frost bolt to slow, then just back pedal casting frost nova when recharged and flame strike or whatever its called, the instant cast one. Same thing every single time, its never different.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

• gnomexxxgnomexxx Member Posts: 2,920
    I too have played both games.  A lot.

But I have to admit, I went into both biased towards WoW.  I thought it was going to be the end all of games.

But after playing both and after much thought, I agree with you.  EQ2 is a MUCH better game.  In many ways too.

===============================

• Zaxx99Zaxx99 Member Posts: 1,761

Okay. I have played WoW quite a lot, and ofcourse it became insanely boring way too fast. Pretty game. Fluid animations. Obviously great coding as expected from Blizzard. Well made game, just made for the masses as a simple game that gets boring in no time. I doubt it will ever really hold any real mmo fan satisfied for more then 10 months or a year at the most.

Now EQ2 I also tried when it first launched. The graphics were absolutely incredible. I will give SoE credit for that. The one thing I didn't like about it however was the narrow paths that led to harder and harder mobs as you followed the paths. I never really felt a sense of a wide open world to explore and get lost in and that's one thing that I like a lot in my mmos. I also hated the yellow string of lights showing you back to your corpse after you died. I thought this made death way too easy of an experience.

I guess my question is this: Can you people that have played both WoW and EQ2 really tell me that EQ2 is more hardcore then WoW or that it isn't way too simple and stream-lined so that every 6 year old to 96 year old that tries it won't have a chance of quitting in frustration? When I played it November of 04, all I saw was a super simple game made for the masses... and while that's good for most - It's just not what I want or desire im my preferred mmo.

However, I have no doubt that PvP in EQ2 blows away that of WoW. I also wouldn't doubt that EQ2 is a better game then WoW once a player gets knee deep into it.

My post here is not a disagreement with the OP at all. It actually is much more of a question about EQ2 since I didn't play it much more then 4 hours or so before I decided it wasn't the game I was looking for back at it's launch date.

- Zaxx

• SpathotanSpathotan Member Posts: 3,928
    @ Zax

Its a totally different game now man, EQ2 I mean. IF you are looking for an MMO id highly recomend checking it out again.

"There's no star system Slave I can't reach, and there's no planet I can't find. There's nowhere in the Galaxy for you to run. Might as well give up now."
    — Boba Fett

Maybe so Spathotan... maybe so.

Can you tell me however one thing... after you get off the isle that you start on, does the world open up into a completely open world to explore or does it stay kinda linear with narrow canyons with too-steep-to-cross walls on either side of you? If it is indeed a vast, open world where I can pretty much go any direction I want, (as In DAoC, WoW, AC, and UO) then I might just give it another try.

- Zaxx

• porgieporgie Member Posts: 1,516

Originally posted by zaxtor99

Can you tell me however one thing... after you get off the isle that you start on, does the world open up into a completely open world to explore or does it stay kinda linear with narrow canyons with too-steep-to-cross walls on either side of you? If it is indeed a vast, open world where I can pretty much go any direction I want, (as In DAoC, WoW, AC, and UO) then I might just give it another try.

- Zaxx

Not trying to answer for Spath, but in one word....

YES!  It opens up immensely.

Seriously.  Try it out past the island now.  I have played EQ2 since launch, and after they did that major upgrade, no one could say they are the same game after that.  I wouldn't lie to you. 

-----------------------
    </OBAMA>

• GameloadingGameloading Member UncommonPosts: 14,182

I have also played both games, and I have come to this conclusion.they are equal. SOE clearly put more time, work and money in Everquest 2 then Blizzard did in WOW. an amazing graphic engine and voice overs for npcs just give it that little extra that it needs. For the combat, I have to go with Everquest 2. it looks better, and it feels much more traditional then WoW´s does. however, the pvp in WoW is better then Everquest 2´s. WoW´s pvp has a nice mix between skill and the skills of your character, where Everquest 2 fully depends on your characters skill. with that said, the pvp SYSTEM (or the reason to pvp) is much better iN Everquest 2.

now exploring the world, and this is where WoW wins over Everquest 2. Azeroth feels so much more "real" then Norrath does. I always felt WoW had much more to explore then Everquest 2. WoW has an incredible amount of detail in its world, more then any MMORPG. especialy if you played the warcraft series, you will recognise lots of things.

also, WoW is much more easy to learn then everquest 2. altough you will quickly get the ropes in EQ2 as well, WoW doesn't even need a tutorial to learn the game.

Grouping is for Everquest 2. its much more fun and you can clearly see the game is build for grouping. Solo was harder then in WoW, but at the same time it was a little more fun then in WoW

orginality.neither of them bring anything new to the table, nothing more to say, next!

fun factor:equal. I had just as much fun in WoW as I did in everquest 2. If you liked WoW, you lvl'd your toon to the cap lvl and you want to try something new but also stay traditional, give Everquest 2 a shot. if you liked Everquest 2, but you want something new yet still the same, go for WoW.

on a side note, if you have trouble to decide between those games, go for WoW. its simply rediculous what SOE dares to ask for its game, you have to buy 2 expansions, and a 3rd one comming up. you also have to buy new content for about 5~7$ each on top of your monthly fee, those are called adventure packs and 2 of them have been released so far, with a 3rd one comming up, in WoW, you get all your updates included in your monthly fee, and an expansion comming up over long periods of times, with content worth enough 2 EQ2 expansions

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924

Well despite i currently play only EQ2 and closed my WoW,i will say something in defence of WoW.

If you ever entered  a car that started so smoothly then u went up to 60mph and it was still so smooth and u were smiling.Then you past 60 mph and it gets real noisy and the steering wheel stats to vibrate.Well if you have thats WoW.

I can honestly say i had an amazing time levelling,But once i hit the 60 mark it was a grind galore and totally void of content.

This maybe the point EQ2 takes over from WoW.SoE(ex verrant) developers have always relied on keeping gamers past the level mark with content in EQ1.In EQ2 they took the same route.Logging in with my guardian in EQ2 always offered a fresh and different adventure but with my WoW shaman offered the grueling task of grinding in some raid or BG yet again.

But if i was to pick one that offered me more fun pre max level i say WoW  anyday.However after that its EQ2 any day(i would say even EQ2 becomes more fun at say 50 then WoW at 60.And EQ2 has 70 level).

• nomadiannomadian Member Posts: 3,490

It's a ripoff of every other game that has come out,
    EQ2 and WoW show as much originality and ripoff factor as each other.

Originally posted by Gameloading
    I have also played both games, and I have come to this conclusion.they are equal. SOE clearly put more time, work and money in Everquest 2 then Blizzard did in WOW. an amazing graphic engine and voice overs for npcs just give it that little extra that it needs. For the combat, I have to go with Everquest 2. it looks better, and it feels much more traditional then WoW´s does. however, the pvp in WoW is better then Everquest 2´s. WoW´s pvp has a nice mix between skill and the skills of your character, where Everquest 2 fully depends on your characters skill. with that said, the pvp SYSTEM (or the reason to pvp) is much better iN Everquest 2.

You made an excellent post i totally agree with but here i got to ask.

You say WoW relies on skills.Wrong its gear and gear.No way would my shaman lose 1 vs 1 against any class in his epics if that class is in blues/green.

In short my friend that played a rogue always looked for guild tags to gank.If it was in a known guild that farmed mc regularly he was weary.If not he would be able to stun lock and kill a fully buffed player no matetr the class.

In EQ2 my assassin has killed Queynos players from the top guilds by simply getting into good position almost as easily as he would from unknown guilds(i am assuming the lesser guilds have lower gears naturally) and dies similarly.

EQ2 is less gear based and more into upgrade of your spells/abilities.

I seriously  doubt any of the 2 games are very skill based but i would give it to EQ2 anyday .

As for fun factor well thats what made me quit WoW.Zero fun post 60.Unless you meant the pre 60 fun which is amazing!

• deggilatordeggilator Member Posts: 520

The final thread of such comparisons will come on the joyful and blissful day when people realise that not everyone has the same taste or criteria and there's no game that suits every single gamer. Both games have their own advantages and disadvantages and, therefore, suit a different audience.

Currently playing:
    * City of Heroes: Deggial, Assault Rifle/Devices Blaster. Server: Defiant.
    * City of Villains: Snakeroot, Plant/Thorns Dominator. Server: Defiant.

Originally posted by hercules

You made an excellent post i totally agree with but here i got to ask.

You say WoW relies on skills.Wrong its gear and gear.No way would my shaman lose 1 vs 1 against any class in his epics if that class is in blues/green.

In short my friend that played a rogue always looked for guild tags to gank.If it was in a known guild that farmed mc regularly he was weary.If not he would be able to stun lock and kill a fully buffed player no matetr the class.

In EQ2 my assassin has killed Queynos players from the top guilds by simply getting into good position almost as easily as he would from unknown guilds(i am assuming the lesser guilds have lower gears naturally) and dies similarly.

EQ2 is less gear based and more into upgrade of your spells/abilities.

I seriously  doubt any of the 2 games are very skill based but i would give it to EQ2 anyday .

As for fun factor well thats what made me quit WoW.Zero fun post 60.Unless you meant the pre 60 fun which is amazing!

I defeated many shamans with my diffrent characters. its a simple trickt that can be done with any class,its the reason why everybody moves around like thet had too much energy drink:get behind your target. if your a rogue, a mage or even a warrior, it doesn't matter, get behind him.  this gives you the ability to strike, but your opponent can't because your behind him. it also matters when you throw out your heals.
  • ScarisScaris Member UncommonPosts: 5,332

Well despite i currently play only EQ2 and closed my WoW,i will say something in defence of WoW.
    If you ever entered  a car that started so smoothly then u went up to 60mph and it was still so smooth and u were smiling.Then you past 60 mph and it gets real noisy and the steering wheel stats to vibrate.Well if you have thats WoW.
    I can honestly say i had an amazing time levelling,But once i hit the 60 mark it was a grind galore and totally void of content.
    This maybe the point EQ2 takes over from WoW.SoE(ex verrant) developers have always relied on keeping gamers past the level mark with content in EQ1.In EQ2 they took the same route.Logging in with my guardian in EQ2 always offered a fresh and different adventure but with my WoW shaman offered the grueling task of grinding in some raid or BG yet again.
    But if i was to pick one that offered me more fun pre max level i say WoW  anyday.However after that its EQ2 any day(i would say even EQ2 becomes more fun at say 50 then WoW at 60.And EQ2 has 70 level).

Ok, so tell me what more EQ 2 has once you hit the level cap then WoW...

- Scaris

"What happened to you, Star Wars Galaxies? You used to look like Leia. Not quite gold bikini Leia (more like bad-British-accent-and-cinnamon-bun-hair Leia), but still Leia nonetheless. Now you look like Chewbacca." - Computer Gaming World

• fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180
    this duel is allready posted at many many gaming sites by proffesionals...goes who wins
    WoW....
    go to gamespot and read the whole review..

i really why this post is here...go to internet and find out..just spamming

• Pride7Pride7 Member Posts: 289

It is amazing how much flack WOW gets on these boards, bottomline is WOW is the #1 MMORPG for a reason.  With close to 6 million subscribers they must be doing something right.  Everyone is free to say "WOW sucks for this reason" but guess what, that is only your opinion, obviously the majority of the MMO players disagree.

Originally posted by Fadeus

Ok, so tell me what more EQ 2 has once you hit the level cap then WoW...

Content.Simple fact is there is much more dungeons to do and raids to do at 50,60 and 70 .The reason is because of the 2 different level rise and expansions .

Also quests are way more.On the pvp server regarding pvp  its basically the same as WoW but its more fluid and open.

I would be first to admit to gain this substaintal amount more dungeons then WoW has there been a copy and paste of a few(not many ) but there is much more variety in the encounters.

TBH i can list quite a few other mmorpg that there is more to do at level cap then WoW.Its pretty easy to do because WoW was released with very little end game and this was added along the line at such a slow rate its still falling way behind

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

- Zaxx

you've honestly never run into unpassable terrain in wow?  or maybe say mountains that only have a single pass which you can go thru?  so, from say ungoro crater, you just run up any hill/mountain and get out into silithus/tanaris?   otherwise, what in the WORLD are you talking about?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by fixif
    this duel is allready posted at many many gaming sites by proffesionals...goes who wins
    WoW....

Professionals?Guess what the professionals are gamers my friend not reviewers.

Many people here have a longer history of playing mmorpg then mst if not all reviewers.So essential that makes them the professionals.

I recall the pczone uk reviewer of EQ2 openly admitting on the magazine forum that his previous mmorpg experience has been diablo 2 when he was asked to comment about some non existant things he said about EQ2 that never was in theat game but another yet he reviewed it in a major magazine saying it existed in EQ2.

He was immediatly laughed at by posters as he counted diablo 2 as a mmorpg !Post was deleted 1 hr later inculding all who quoted him

Thats your "profesionals"!

WoW has an incredible amount of detail in its world, more then any MMORPG. especialy if you played the warcraft series, you will recognise lots of things.

or if you've watched any movie or tv show since 1970.  wow steals just enough ideas from EVERYTHING in order for people to go "hey, i know this".

clarice talking about sheep screaming at night over in um, the sleepy hollow zone.  the land of the lost (ungoro) is only missing sleestak; they even copied the story of how they got there (raft) and the crystals all over the place with mysterious powers...  the list goes on and on, from npc names to stories they tell, to landscapes.  wow is very good at copying everything.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

Originally posted by fixif
    WoW....

Professionals?Guess what the professionals are gamers my friend not reviewers.

Many people here have a longer history of playing mmorpg then mst if not all reviewers.So essential that makes them the professionals.

I recall the pczone uk reviewer of EQ2 openly admitting on the magazine forum that his previous mmorpg experience has been diablo 2 when he was asked to comment about some non existant things he said about EQ2 that never was in theat game but another yet he reviewed it in a major magazine saying it existed in EQ2.

He was immediatly laughed at by posters as he counted diablo 2 as a mmorpg !Post was deleted 1 hr later inculding all who quoted him

Thats your "profesionals"!

a caveat on this would be -- move reviewers.  how often have you seen a movie and then read professionals' reviews of said movie and you actually agreed with them?

• CopelandCopeland Member Posts: 1,955

I've played both games. I played both at launch and i played/play both recently.

WoW was better than EQ2 at launch. WoW was less buggy and easier to get the flow of. EQ2 had a bad launch. SOE has actually done a good job listening to its players and adjusting the game over the last year. I recently started playing again with my GF and its not nearly so annoying. Theres no more becoming your class in stages. Quest givers now have a feather or a book over their heads much like WoW's exclamation point. I also have a new amd x2 4200 with dual gforce n6600's so the game isn't nearly as laggy for me as it was on my old p4. That made a huge difference. While i enjoyed WoW for a time it quickly became a bore. I'm not sure how long EQ2 will hold my attention but i like the way it feels now so i'm going to give it some time. Both are high quality games for sure.

Originally posted by damian7

WoW has an incredible amount of detail in its world, more then any MMORPG. especialy if you played the warcraft series, you will recognise lots of things.

or if you've watched any movie or tv show since 1970.  wow steals just enough ideas from EVERYTHING in order for people to go "hey, i know this".

clarice talking about sheep screaming at night over in um, the sleepy hollow zone.  the land of the lost (ungoro) is only missing sleestak; they even copied the story of how they got there (raft) and the crystals all over the place with mysterious powers...  the list goes on and on, from npc names to stories they tell, to landscapes.  wow is very good at copying everything.

*gasp* Watson, you don't think they did that on purpose, did they!?

FYI, WoW did that on purpose, they have eastern bunny everywhere. there is a faq about it on gamefaqs. if you really think that is a valid point at bashing the game, because WoW will try to put a smile on your face, then thats just sad..

Originally posted by damian7

- Zaxx
    you've honestly never run into unpassable terrain in wow? or maybe say mountains that only have a single pass which you can go thru? so, from say ungoro crater, you just run up any hill/mountain and get out into silithus/tanaris? otherwise, what in the WORLD are you talking about?

Ofcourse there is unpassable terrain in almost all mmo worlds. That's not at all what I am talking about. In EQ2 when you get off the training boat ride and onto the "Isle"I think it is, you are pretty much forced to go between two canyon walls along a pretty narrow path in which the monsters get progressively harder the further you travel. But it is hardly a huge open world at that point. It is much more like a limited pathways maze. On the otherhand, WoW, or Asherons Call offer you almost complete freedom to go anywhich way you like in a completely open environment. Surely you understand what I am talking about here. I don't know how to explain it much better then I already have. But I do NOT like to be limited on where or how I can travel as I felt when I played EQ2 when it first launched and I very much prefer a complete open world to explore where I wish and if I go the wrong way and run into a level 100 mob as a level 2, then I get crushed and learn not to go back there until I level up some by traveling in a different direction perhaps.

- Zaxx