Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Thinking of playing everquest 2 read this.

2»

Comments

• xminatorxminator Member Posts: 306

Originally posted by daniel240279

Here are the recommended specs for the game in case anyone is interested, off the official site https://store.station.sony.com/hardgood.jsp?SKU=EQ2RE-HG-SW1104-EQ2DVD.
    Recommended Specs:

Windows® 98/2000/ME/XP
    Processor 2 ghz or greater
    1 GB RAM
    Pixel shader and vertex shader compatible hardware with 128MB of texture memory
    DirectSound compatible audio hardware
    Broadband Internet Connection
    DVD-ROM
    10 Gigabytes Hard Drive Space
    DirectX 9.0 compatible video card

And that will probably do the trick if your willing to sacrifice graphics. Just to take a random box of my desk, recomended specs for Rome Total War

* Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP

* P3 1ghz, Athlon 1ghz or greater

* 256MB of ram

* 8x CD-rom

* ATI radeon 8500 or higher, Nvidia GF3 or higher

I can promise one thing, you wouldnt be able  to replicate the screenshots of that game with a recomended speced computer.

My own rig is now 2 years old. The best decision I ever made making that one was having 2 GB of ram. The second best was a large sata disk.

The recomended specs will run the game. The player recomended specs would be at least 256mb of texture memory and 2 GB of ram. And to not run any sort of processor intensive programs in the background. Or do file sharing while playing the game.

When someone asks about "should I try this game" my first answer is a question. How new is your computer. If their computer is pretty good I've got no problems recomending them to try the game out.

• Dis_OrdurDis_Ordur Member Posts: 1,501

With my above post fresh on the brain this weekend, I analyzed the amount of lag this weekend on Antoina Bayle server, and I have to say, it was much better than usual...  I don't know if there was a hot fix or stealth patch done, but EQ2 is running very well for me:

P4 3.0ghz on an Intel board.

ATI xt800 256M

1.5 gigs, 3200 Kingston RAM

My rig well exceeds the recommended requirements, and I am running at high quality with little lag as of this last weekend. 

• newgamer911newgamer911 Member Posts: 7

I agree 100%

My computer is better than both of yours plus i own the full version. Lags terribly

who ever is thinking about buying this game. don 't

• almagillalmagill Member Posts: 279
    1.8Ghz processor*, ATI X1300 512mb, 2Gig RAM.

Goes like sheet off  shiny shovel :)   Unless I go to a 'heavy' load server, in which case I'm with the rest of you in lagland.

*Lightning nuked the faster proc, so had to cannibalise one out of the wife's machine.

So, you all sat in camps and that was fun?

• ShadusShadus Member UncommonPosts: 669

I have recently downloaded ...<SNIP>...
    Oh and here are my specs just in case you think i'm full of it.
    CPU: AMD 64 3500
    Video: XFX 7800GTX 256MB Overclocked version
    Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM 74 Gb HDD
    2Gb Corsair Twinx Dual Channel DDR 400 RAM
    ASUS A8NSLI Deluxe Mobo
    ...<SNIP>...

I have a system with almost the exact same specs as you except my hard drive is a wd 7200 rpm and my video is asus and not the overclocked version. Game runs sweet as hell on my rig, I typically run "High Quality" except for on raids when I kick things down to "High Performance" or "Balanced" (Depending on size, it's a 10-15s change in game... no logout required.) I do use the SOGA models which may make it take more or less resources, i dunno... i just like the less plastic look of them.

My previous system was a 6600 GT & 1GB Ram instead of what my system currently has and it ran okie, but I really couldn't keep it on balanced unless I bumped the shadows, light sources, and water down a bit.

My S.O. was playing on a 4600, 2.4ghz intel, 7200 rpm, 1GB ram, god knows what ancient motherboard and she had to keep things on "Very High Performance" most of the time to have a playable enjoyable game.

That being said, there isn't a massive difference between Balanced and the higher settings... most little things like light source rendering and better clothing movement. I can bump it up to "Extreme Quality" and the game looks hot (easily as good as Oblivion), just not real playable unless no one else is around for the most part.

I will note one thing, some versions of the nvidia drivers give *massive* performance gains in EQ2 over the older versions, based on your system i'd assume you probally have a reasonably new driver, but ... shrug, might be something to check if you decide to try the game again.

My kid plays the game on a 2500+ amd with 512 mb of ram and a 5200... that... is... not what i'd consider playable... in most areas its "so-so" near the docks in either city its hellish. Lags bad.

Just my few cents.

Edit: Note I'm running 1600x1200@85 on a Diamond Pro 2070SB... so me having high performance isn't due to me knocking the res way down or anything like that.

Shadus

• Ironman2000Ironman2000 Member UncommonPosts: 310

When i can run a game like fear with full effects on and everything maxed out without a hint of slowdown indicates to me one thing and one thing only, lazy programming.  Now sony can go on all they want about future proofing and fancy effects, the fact is even when turned up high i wasn't of the opinion that the game looked any better or in fact as good as other top games currently out, as well i am able to run battlefield 2 up full and with max draw distance on a 64 player map, how do you explain this away sony.
    So to anyone thinking of trying this game i say don't and with one reason in mind it runs badly even on a good PC setup.
    If you disagree with me then fine that's your opinion.
    Oh and here are my specs just in case you think i'm full of it.
    ASUS A8NSLI Deluxe Mobo
    Now to everyone who thought gee my PC is good i'll be able to run everquest 2 well on my PC i say look elsewhere.
    Even on balanced settings (which don't look anything special by the way), as soon as you've got a few enemies on the screen slowdown occurs.  Not good enough sony not by a long way.
    If you are not convinced please try the demo and decide for yourself, if you don't mind a game that chugs up on a regular basis then this could be the game for you.

I wasn't aware of it until someone posted it in another forum, apparently there is a huge stutter issue with the 7x00 and 6x00 models of your graphics card chipset and nVidia is aware of it, but overclocking it with a known problem would seem to me, to make it even more unstable.  I think almost every game has some stability issues with certain cards, I mean I have an ATI X800 pro and EQ 2 runs like a hot knife thru butter, but on City of Heroes I have issues with weird graphic artifacts that ATI and COH devs are aware of.  Its the nature of the beast.  I mean i'm not defending them, but there are issues with every game.

I mean I would be more worried about SoE making game breaking changes more than anything as a reason to not play the game more than this. LOL with their track record as of late, I fear for the future of Vanguard.  At the moment it seems they do have people working to resolve issues like what you're describing, but they have no common sense when it comes to making huge changes to their core game mechanics

• ObadnoObadno Member Posts: 401

I dont understand the performance issues I DO NOT have a high end machine and I never have, I just dont have money like that to waste.

I have:

•  1 gig of ram
    • PCI-express (cheapass) motherboard
    • amd athalon 64 bit 2800+( yes read that again 2800) processor
    • EVGA 6800 gs

and i can run on VERY HIGH (befor my computer gets loaded down with other programs and I have to re-install)

and High without shaddows with very little lag except for in cities

and did i mention that i run off a wireless conection that recently dosent go above 48mbps

while a land cable line can go up to 100+

and i get very little lag there is some, but it is by no means game breacking, and it is worth it because the graphics are great!

people say the toons look like plastic if you turn up the charecter texture to maximum, the skin has texture and color variation and wrinkles.

honestly if you have a kik ass system like you do either you have a major virus and way fragmented hard-drive

OR you are a lying sack of S*** I cant go all out cause i think im on my final warning

The new EQ2, better than ever befor !
    don't click this link...

• daniel240279daniel240279 Member Posts: 28

Originally posted by Obadno

I dont understand the performance issues I DO NOT have a high end machine and I never have, I just dont have money like that to waste.
    I have:

1 gig of ram
    PCI-express (cheapass) motherboard
    amd athalon 64 bit 2800+( yes read that again 2800) processor
    EVGA 6800 gs
    and i can run on VERY HIGH (befor my computer gets loaded down with other programs and I have to re-install)
    and High without shaddows with very little lag except for in cities
    and did i mention that i run off a wireless conection that recently dosent go above 48mbps
    while a land cable line can go up to 100+
    and i get very little lag there is some, but it is by no means game breacking, and it is worth it because the graphics are great!
     people say the toons look like plastic if you turn up the charecter texture to maximum, the skin has texture and color variation and wrinkles.
    honestly if you have a kik ass system like you do either you have a major virus and way fragmented hard-drive
    OR you are a lying sack of S*** I cant go all out cause i think im on my final warning

That's a very good and valid point you make there ironman and would certainly explain the issues i've had with the game.  If i could get it to run good i would certainly give the game a try, as it does look promising.  Having read a lot of peoples responses i would likely say the problem could be 2 things, 1 would be that it just plain doesn't like my video card, or 2 my video drivers maybe were the cause, there is the third option that the demo is perhaps not as optimised as the full retail version, however i would think that to be unlikely due to the fact that they are trying to get you into the game in the demo and would surely not release something inferior in performance terms to the full retail version (stranger things have happened though).

I would be interested to hear what the performance is like from people running a 7800 series nvidia card and what drivers they are using.

Oh and obadno, i simply have no reason to be lying, i am just stating my experience due to whatever problem.  Swearing is also not necessary.  You don't have to believe me but you could be a bit more diplomatic in your response.

Here's a thread everyone with a geforce series card should read if they are having trouble with eq2.

http://eqiiforums.station.sony.com/eq2/board/message?board.id=tech_support&message.id=118649.

If you don't believe me, then believe 190 others.

• I have a very similar setup except my cpu is an AMD 4000.

EQ2 runs quite decently on my machine.

I can do medium high outside of towns if I want, but since I did PvP server I put it down some for pure performance.  I think I was running at balanced.

However inside town is a different story there is a big difference between inside town and a place like Atonica.

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by Slanger

Well Mr. 1 post reviewer. I own the full version with all
    expansion packs and running on a much lesser rig than you on Balanced setting,
    and I haven't had any slow down at all even with many mobs, npc's, and players
    on my screen.

My set up:

AMD 2700

Geforce 6200 256mb

1gb ram

250gb 7200rpm HD

Game looks great and plays great. Problem might be the free trial or something’s
    going on with your computer. My friend just recently upgraded his pc and he's
    amazed at the difference and his set up is still not as good as yours.

mr. 1 post reviewer?

um, does that mean that he/she doesn't know anything because of not posting in the place YOU think should be the only place to post?

eq2 was as horrid as eq.  soe got crafting semi-decent in swg.  failed horribly in eq and eq2.

if they botched something which should be an integral part of any mmo which even pretends to have a player economy or something to do other than JUST kill....  well, doesn't say much for the rest of the game.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• LoafkillLoafkill Member Posts: 6
    I usually dont post anything reguarding topics like this,, but the games your compareing eq 2 are totally different,, theres alot more going on as far as network information being sent and recieved (as far as there servers are concerned )and as far as video lag goes,, you have to think ,, theres alot more polygons to be drawn in anyone place in eq2 then in fear, or any fps,,, once the polygons are drawn, then its textured,, and so on... so before you tell anyone not to buy a game because you think the engine sux,, do you really know what your talking about... im not saying that i do ,,  in saying so ,, as far as im considered,, when eq2 first came out i didnt have the machine to run it,, or i did, but i had to have it on high performance,, or lower,,and there is a big difference between high performance, and high quality in my opinion...  i dunno i was bored and figured i would post for the 1st time.. and i think there has been some great improvements since release,, and im actually starting to enjoy the game,, as far as crafting i can care less, i have never done alot of crafting,, well ayways i quess what im trying to say is,, why post on a subject like this when you can only assume that the engine sux,, or you think it sux, when in reality you really dont know what your talking about,, lazy programers,, piff,, try makeing your own engine,, thats what i thought... your a consumer not a programer and it makes me kinda annoyed when someone talks about stuff that they dont know about.. if your gonna compare a game,, compare it to the same genre or type... not a fps,,
  • damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449

Originally posted by Loafkill
    I usually dont post anything reguarding topics like this,, but the games your compareing eq 2 are totally different,, theres alot more going on as far as network information being sent and recieved (as far as there servers are concerned )and as far as video lag goes,, you have to think ,, theres alot more polygons to be drawn in anyone place in eq2 then in fear, or any fps,,, once the polygons are drawn, then its textured,, and so on... so before you tell anyone not to buy a game because you think the engine sux,, do you really know what your talking about... im not saying that i do ,,  in saying so ,, as far as im considered,, when eq2 first came out i didnt have the machine to run it,, or i did, but i had to have it on high performance,, or lower,,and there is a big difference between high performance, and high quality in my opinion...  i dunno i was bored and figured i would post for the 1st time.. and i think there has been some great improvements since release,, and im actually starting to enjoy the game,, as far as crafting i can care less, i have never done alot of crafting,, well ayways i quess what im trying to say is,, why post on a subject like this when you can only assume that the engine sux,, or you think it sux, when in reality you really dont know what your talking about,, lazy programers,, piff,, try makeing your own engine,, thats what i thought... your a consumer not a programer and it makes me kinda annoyed when someone talks about stuff that they dont know about.. if your gonna compare a game,, compare it to the same genre or type... not a fps,,

if someone is a consumer, paying for a game, shouldn't the game accomodate people who don't have the very latest and greatest computers?

wouldn't you WANT to reach as many people as possible with your game?

if someone has issues playing one game but not others, it's easy to say "get a better box" or "you try to program a game"; but um, how many millions have companies taken in after release of games like eq2?  how many hundreds of millions of dollars DOES it take to make games easily accessible to a wider audience?

just things to consider.

the consumer's job is to consume, i would think.  the gaming company's job would be to provide easily accessible games to reach as wide an audience as possible.  not logical to blame the consumer for a provider's shortcomings, is it?

i just double checked the OP.

ASUS A8NSLI Deluxe Mobo

what part of this set up is craptastic?  should a game require a computer that can land spacecraft on pluto?

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?

• VyavaVyava Member Posts: 893

Originally posted by damian7

i just double checked the OP.

ASUS A8NSLI Deluxe Mobo

what part of this set up is craptastic?  should a game require a computer that can land spacecraft on pluto?

The poor performance is most likely using a version of the video drivers that is not fully supported, or just has issues. I run on balanced even through raiding on a lesser system without any issues. I used to have issues until I actually read the FAQs on the official forums listing specific drivers (for various card companies) that had issues and/or require special settings.

WoW 1.10 release has created similar issues on a different system. ROleld back my video driver and they all went away. For some reason people just assume the latest release will run better/faster, but often it takes an update for most games to catch up.

Lesson here, don't do major updates until you make sure they will fully function for the software you are going to run.

• LoafkillLoafkill Member Posts: 6

I was just saying why complain about a game that he hasnt truely played,,, sure hes played the demo,, but what i was saying is compare a game of equal value,, you cant compare eq2 to any other game,,(mmo) atleast not at this date,,,,there is no other mmo with the complexity or dynamics as far as graphics go... and i agree with you about they should provide a game that everyone can play,, but in my experience i think they planed ahead,, in the past 2 yrs, technology has become better,, eq2 runs better, now it can only get better,,i have no problem running the game,, i cant run it on the max settings ,, but very close,,

abit an8 fatality mobo

amd athlon 64 3500+

4gigs of corsair xms 3200

bfg nvidia 7800gt pci express x2

3 74 gig raptors in a raid 0

pci ppu card

• kezef76kezef76 Member Posts: 17
    I think you left out the most important piece of information here.  What kind of internet connection are you using?  Dial up is not an option.  DSL is ok but not recommended if you have access to cable.

Also, I have noticed that the game runs 100% better after a defrag and disk clean up.

• OldManFunkOldManFunk Member Posts: 894
    At the request of a guild member, a friend and I gave the EQ2 trial a try tonight. The game is much better than it use to be... at least, the beginning is much better. I'm not sure what it's like off that newbie island, yet. Probably won't find out, either. But just the same had EQ2 released in its current state it would have done much better.

Just wanted to say something about the video performance... my friend and I are playing on similar machines and while we were running around on the newbie island her frames suddenly went to crap in an area that we had been through several times before. She could barely move through the same areas where I had absolutely no lag at all. I never had lag problems but did get some odd video problem where after equipping my newb hat my character went from being a well rounded 3D model to a 3D paper doll. Nothing that I tried was able to restore the graphics and make my character look normal again. I'm assuming it will look normal the next time I play and my friend will have no lag the next time she plays... until whatever oddity that is causing the problems comes up again.

It seems as if there's a few bugs in the current EQ2 client.

Originally posted by Loafkill
    I usually dont post anything reguarding topics like this,, but the games your compareing eq 2 are totally different,, theres alot more going on as far as network information being sent and recieved (as far as there servers are concerned )and as far as video lag goes,, you have to think ,, theres alot more polygons to be drawn in anyone place in eq2 then in fear,

Really a lot more polygons than in fear, bollocks, i doubt you have even played fear by that comment.

or any fps,,, once the polygons are drawn, then its textured,, and so on... so before you tell anyone not to buy a game because you think the engine sux,, do you really know what your talking about... im not saying that i do ,

You appear not to know from what i can see.

,  in saying so ,, as far as im considered,, when eq2 first came out i didnt have the machine to run it,, or i did, but i had to have it on high performance,, or lower,,and there is a big difference between high performance, and high quality in my opinion... 

What setup are you running?

i dunno i was bored and figured i would post for the 1st time.. and i think there has been some great improvements since release,, and im actually starting to enjoy the game,, as far as crafting i can care less, i have never done alot of crafting,, well ayways i quess what im trying to say is,, why post on a subject like this when you can only assume that the engine sux,, or you think it sux, when in reality you really dont know what your talking about,, lazy programers,, piff,, try makeing your own engine,

What an idiotic comment, "go make your own engine", what if i didn't like daikatana's graphic engine should i go make my own?  What a childish ignorant comment.  I've taken other factors into account and i believe the graphics engine to be the problem after having read extensively through the forums.

thats what i thought... your a consumer not a programer

and consumers have a right to complain if they don't think a product is as it should be.

and it makes me kinda annoyed when someone talks about stuff that they dont know about.. if your gonna compare a game,, compare it to the same genre or type... not a fps,

Well you can be annoyed, it is clear to anyone reading your post that you are the one making an attack on myself for giving an educated opinion and backing it up with examples.

Why are the games i listed totally different, they use advanced effects similar to those found in eq2? Why should i compare games in the same genre should i be comparing eq2 to DAoC, no, oh i thought not. 

As for saying i don't have a clue, i've done a bit of research and have some knowledge on programming and you admit to knowing very little, so how would you know?

As well if you read the board properly i have since made posts asking people with similar setups to mine how the game runs on their PC (thankyou for all that have posted on that), how bout listing your specs and saying if you get any problems in the game.

I thought i would stick in a poll to see how people vote

• 92165449216544 Member Posts: 1,904
    Why has this thread reached 50 comments? Big deal, their graphic engine doesn't run well on even some of the best computuers. If that bothers you, don't play. If the goal of you thread was to stop or educate people on the issue of how it performs, I highly doubt it made any impact. Other then that there really is no reason or point to this arguement.

• headcacheheadcache Member Posts: 61

Fun discussion! Especially with Sony claims of "built for the future". The problem with that claim is that they don't know what will come in the future. The new cards let you offload more and more each generation and the new game engines are coded to take advantage of this.

But, even aside from all that, I've got a 3800+, 2G RAM and 7900GTX 512M video and EQ2 does not perform as well as it should. It also does not seem to scale well. My last card was a 6800Ultra. The speed improvement in EQ2 versus any other game I have played are not in line. I think this means the engine is relying a bit too much on the CPU for a lot of things, but without seeing the code I can't know of course. I just know it's a sluggish engine, full of features but not a very streamlined implementation.