Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Review of Eve Online from a 6 month player

Fedaykin425Fedaykin425 Member Posts: 1

Hi everyone,

I thought i would right this, hopefully short, review just to let everyone know what a person who loves this game thinks about it.

A little info about me. Ive been playing eve since the first week of June 2003 and have played continously and consistently since then. I enjoy moslty games of the scifi space genre or war strategy games. This is my first mmorpg and only one so i wont be comparing with any other game. But i can say i havent played a single game as long as i have been playing eve.

As i am sure everyone would like to know i will start with the bad things first

BAD THINGS:
Every patch that comes out for eve fixes bugs in games and usually make more ^X.
Content is somewhat lacking and is not released frequently enough.
There are people in game that like to just cause grief to other people, mostly by using exploits and then have to listen them flame about it on the forums.
Many things you work hard for and long for can get lost to bugs and the GM's wont replace for u cause they dont have a way to prove that you lossed it.
There was recently the implementation of a new very big patch, that has made it harder for people to play the game as a freelancer.
The new patch made it take longer to move around when your in empire space.
Six months after release there are still bugs and an hour downtime everyday.
Best way to gather the most money the quickest is to mine ore, which u will find very boring and will learn how to multitask(read the forums, play another comp game, play your xbox or PS2) by doing so.

GOOD THINGS:
The game should be considered a social game, by the fact that inorder to get anywhere you got to make friends or your experience with eve will just be crap. The best way to do this would be to start a corp and recuit people or join a corp.
The are alots of jobs or careers in game such as manfactuar, trader, pirate, miner, bounty hunter and the list goes on.
Takes time to actually get the good stuff. You cant get the best battleship within one day or a the first 2-3 weeks of playing the game.
Skills train automatically and while your not logged on, no need to go out and kill things to level.
The adrenline rush you get when you get into pvp for your first time and kill the target, and how pissed you get when u lose that battleship and have to work to get another one.
The new patch makes it so that frigates and crusiers are becoming more useful in pvp then everyone just fighting in battleships(especially after u have lossed yours :::^b::).
The thrill of hunting down that rat(pirate) if your a bounty hunter, or popping that indy to see what modules and ores u can steal as a pirate.
Creating your own megacorporation and obtaining all the blueprints to build whatever you like.
With the new patch the npc pirates are now a challenge to take out, where a single battleship wont be able to kill them all easily, without the risk of getting blown up.
Even with the new patch it is still possible to go from one end of the galaxy to the other and back again a couple times in a day.
The new patch has made it easier to catch corp theives and pirates, while it has also made it easier for pirates to catch unsuspecting industrials.
Using a third person internet voice server to make communication with gang buddies easy when hunting.
Several corps form together to create alliances that control regoins of the galaxies, and creat there own ingame content.

Believe me this is not the end of either list but i will try to add more when i get the chance. Trying to write this at the same time im playing the game :::^D::. If anyone wants to buy eve and get a good view of what eve is really like u can contact me in game character name "Fedaykin Naib" and i will help u out or can send u in the direction of some guys that will help get you started. I really enjoy the game and plan on playing the game for alot longer so i might see some of u in there

Comments

• FlemFlem Member UncommonPosts: 2,870
    I must admit i did enjoy beta testing this game, the graphics were smooth but game play was lacking.

• DevestatorDevestator Member Posts: 1

I have also been playing Eve for 6 months and have never been this dedicated to game in my life.

The reason i love this game is because of the people i play with. They make it fun and rewarding. There is a learning curve i must admit. But there are many willing to help.

With the new Patch has come new challenges. All the Expirenced players have once again become Noobs (Kind of). Everybody right now is trying to figure out the new patch and CCP has given us something to do for the next 6 months at least. The company is good about telling the community whats going on with developement with Weekly chats they have with players called CSMs (Concil For Stellar Management).  Eve gets stronger with every release and i recommend this game to everybody. So come board and enter our universe. You'll be amazed. 

-=<To The Pain>=-

-=<To The Pain>=-

• WARPAQ32WARPAQ32 Member Posts: 1

Been playing this off and on the past two months, I can't seem to get into it. My fried has five accounts for the game and won't shut up about it.. One of the reasons I bought it!

what

what

• Rad_RooferRad_Roofer Member Posts: 153

Unfortunately I do not play this game.

Good graphics, and an outright awesome game structure.....but I, personally, cannot handle being a spaceship.  IF ONLY this game was setup as a third-person view.

And to Flem, saying there isn't enough content....bah...that was beta...This game is for-real if you can handle long trips in outer space, and looking at nothing but a spaceship...besides outer space that is.

---------------------------------------------
    http://www.simulatedsports.com

http://www.hattrick.org

• ThoemseThoemse Member UncommonPosts: 457

I'm playing eve sicne Beta 4. No other MMORPG could catch my attention for that long (played AO quite long too though)

This game rocks! A bit more content would be great but the new castor patch brought in a lot.

Go get it and give it a try!

• WillJones420WillJones420 Member Posts: 263

I tried this game shortly after it first came out.  There were some good things about it, but bad luck and lack of time forced me to call it quits after a month of playing.  I've been putting some thought into trying it again though.  SWG and Horizons just aren't doing it for me anymore, so I may give EVE another go.

One question though.  Are planets in EVE still just part of the scenery or can players actually interact with them in any way?

• CruiseCruise Member Posts: 39

I played Eve from about the first week of commercial release, and it was my first MMOG. The game had incredible possibilities and I stuck around for the interaction with other players more than anything else (Getting into a good corporation of other players really opens the gameplay up).

They put a major patch in just before Christmas and it alienated the solo player. It fairly well forced players to work together to get ahead, which isn't always easy when your corp members are scattered all around the world.

They also forced players into VERY difficult mining efforts for the critical rare ores by making the NPC pirates uber tough and quick. Players that had owned and flown ships for months suddely were losing them left and right to the AI NPC's, and that made low-security space mining damned hard to do.

They've also forced many players to do long, tedious, repetitive agent missions (shuttling garbage through multiple systems over and over again, anyone?...zzzzzz) just to try and get to the next level of technology.

The trade system is totally whacked, with very little stability in player pricing of critical items. The insurance system will barely cover what your losses might be, and the PK lot make mining efforts in low-security space a real pain, since the industrials move like ice flows in molasses.

I had high hopes for the game and was a staunch player until the latest patch. Forcing players into group play, missions or PvP just doesn't cut it for 'diversity' in a game. At least not for me.

If at first you don't succeed, pay someone who will.

You're supposed to play in groups in a MMORPG.

You still can easy play solo btw. You just wont get that rich as you would by playing ina corp with mates mining in 0.0 sec.

You still can mine normal ores and buy the megazyte off my hands for a high price. image

• EnigmaEnigma Member UncommonPosts: 11,384

Originally posted by Thoemse

You're supposed to play in groups in a MMORPG.
    You still can easy play solo btw. You just wont get that rich as you would by playing ina corp with mates mining in 0.0 sec.
    You still can mine normal ores and buy the megazyte off my hands for a high price. image

Ive bought a Maller (cruiser), Thorax (Cruiser), both Gallente and Amarr cruiser skills and battleship skills plus 47 other skills, 4 frigates, and numerous weapons.  I have 4 million isk left over

That was with an alt I started on Christmas EVE....been playing solo and haven't mined one piece of rock  yet

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Hehe that sure is good. But my corp leader made 1.2 bill in a month *g*

Too bad i took a break at that time and now m0o is terrorizing fountain and we fight instead of mine.

LOL, I only have a level 2 agent.

Did your corp leader solo 1.2 billion? And does he have multiple account ;)

People who have to create conspiracy and hate threads to further a cause lacks in intellectual comprehension of diversity.

Originally posted by En1Gma

LOL, I only have a level 2 agent.

Did your corp leader solo 1.2 billion? And does he have multiple account ;)

Most likely  solo and yes he has 2 accounts.
    We are in FA andnot doing missions. He made it all with mining arkonor and bistot.

I wish i could do the same but we have m00 here atm and they are a pain in the ass. No mining until we kicked their asses out.

I wish i could do the same but we have m00 here atm and they are a pain in the ass. No mining until we kicked their asses out.

LOL, M0o is quite bothersome, indeed.  But they are nice people personally.  I just wouldnt want to warp near em lol

• LanMarkxLanMarkx Member Posts: 3

Just going to counter bad points.

Originally posted by Fedaykin425
    BAD THINGS:
    1. Every patch that comes out for eve fixes bugs in games and usually make more ^X.
    2. Content is somewhat lacking and is not released frequently enough.
    3. There are people in game that like to just cause grief to other people, mostly by using exploits and then have to listen them flame about it on the forums.
    4. Many things you work hard for and long for can get lost to bugs and the GM's wont replace for u cause they dont have a way to prove that you lossed it.
    5. There was recently the implementation of a new very big patch, that has made it harder for people to play the game as a freelancer.
    6. The new patch made it take longer to move around when your in empire space.
    7. Six months after release there are still bugs and an hour downtime everyday.
    8. Best way to gather the most money the quickest is to mine ore, which u will find very boring and will learn how to multitask(read the forums, play another comp game, play your xbox or PS2) by doing so.[/

1. Its a patch. New patches alwasy come with new bugs. Sure, they could come out with just 100% bug fixes, but then people would cry for new stuff, and the reverse is true as well - either way somebody gets mad. Its content vs bugs.

2. somewhat agree. However, their is alot of content in the game right now, you just need to look for it. It dosn't just come and hit you upside the head like in some other online games.

3. If somebody is using an exploit by all means report it! GM's will check it out and ban them! I've found out that most 'exploits' that people use are not exploits actually, but just people whining on the forums and making a false claim - I wish these people would get banned.

4. The GM's know you lost it - the problem is finding out why you lost it. Say the server connection gets axed, which can happen anywhere between you and the server (or at the server). the GM's have no way to tell if that was the case or you say - pulled your net plug out of the wall to avoid losing your ship. If it can be proven that the server/game had an error/bug and you lost items as a reslut you will get the items back. This is done to prevent scams on replacement items, and most online games have a very similar policy in place.

5. Its an online game that is highly based upon corperations, the freelancer can survive - but they souldn't be able to compete with a 160+ person mega-corp. Its a multi-player game. If you want to be a 100% freelancer, get a single player game. (sorry to sound rude, can't say it any other way really.)

6. Actually, the new patch made it faster. warp speed is now 150% what is was, and using the correct micro ward drives and afterburners (which are based upon ship class now) make it batter. The only ship class that is 'slower' is a battleship and an industrial ship - which were never meant to move that fast. Get a crusier or frigate to travel at high speeds.

7. I'd rather have an hour of downtime every day than have the servers running for weeks letting the lag build up on the server, besides during the downtime they check logs and make backups (I'm guessing) The plan is to eventually have a full 24/7 setup, but don't start that unless the game can actually do it. Besides - I need to eat and sleep sometime. :)

8. You are correct on this one - minning is the 'quickest' way to make isk, but some other things are being quickly match to it. Agent missions for one with the proper level agent and skills can be as rewarding. Hunting npc pirate can be very rewarding as well, but has a big risk in it. If you want a high income, fairly safe thing to do then mine ore in high security systems.

• wjdfwjdf Member Posts: 5
    Now is the perfect time for new players to join. With all the new promotions going on there are more new players than ever. This is extremely beneficial since the game has such an extremely high learning curve.

*DreamSales* Come check out channel DreamSales for all your manufacturing needs. The best part is that we sell under the market by keeping low or no inventory. **Message applies only to EVE Online Players.

• cheebacheeba Member UncommonPosts: 196
    This game is great btw.  Been playing since release.  Join a corporation and teh content will come to you.  Did I mention it has a player driven economy.   I am also part of the Fountain Alliance and weve been having loads of fun dealing with those pesky pirates.  Even though we wish they would just bugger off.  Give this game a try for longer than a month and youll be happy you stayed around.

---------------
    Tested over a 115+ games since 1997.

Currently Playing:

Played(Retired): AOL NWN(91-95), UO, EQ1/2, DAoC, CoX, Lineage1/2, SWG(Pre CU/NGE), Planetside, Anarchy Online, FFXI, AC, Vanguard, D&D, AoC, DCUO, Rift, Eve, others

• rebal88rebal88 Member Posts: 98
    6 months and loving it!
  • pihlssitepihlssite Member CommonPosts: 213

I been playing this from beta.

I cant say mining is boring I like mining and trading.

The game is getting bigger and bigger and content is getting more and more.

the daily downtime is good

O 3d chars is coming and walking in stations this year 2007 according to ccp.

plans is getting your own apartment the ability to walk in your hangar is another one.

the list continues...

Planets (landing and all that] are a later projekt

• binjuicebinjuice Member Posts: 363
    Please people don't necro threads - this is scary old (04) don't post here anymore

"Just because there are other colours to use in chat does not mean you have to use them..." - Please follow

• damian7damian7 Member Posts: 4,449
    Originally posted by binjuice

Please people don't necro threads - this is scary old (04) don't post here anymore

actually it's from 2003. 

if forums aren't supposed to have comments on threads older than a week, the mods should delete them, right?

that is one of the stupidest *rules* enforced by the eve-o nazis.  "oh you necroed a thread, that's bad".  well, what if the bloody thread has information that is pertinent to what i'm posting?  sorry, delete them, or take a sign.

could we please get correspondent writers and moderators, on the eve forum at mmorpg.com, who are well-versed on eve-online and aren't just passersby pushing buttons? pretty please?