Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

WoW vs. Lineage II

LoD254LoD254 Member Posts: 373

What are the major differances between these two games. Lineage has me on graphics but i like the ideas implied in WoW. I've been looking around and i heard Dorfs w/ muskets... does it get any cooler? Please post any major differance if you know of any. most importantly im looking for items(do they relate to diablo 2 in magic abilities of identifying, or DAoC where everything was the same?) and pvp aspects. I hear Lineage will be PvP in certain areas only, which kind of makes xp boring knowing you wont die to a player.

Also how fast is xp in either? I expect we dont know to much about WoW yet, but Lineage II is in beta.

Comments

• CepeBarnCepeBarn Member Posts: 2

WoW rocks, linage 2 is mostly PvP and i didn't see any INGAME story except Core and that isn't even a story, the quests suck only run around in a city or kill a lot of frogs, that kinda shit, and the armors are screwed especially on Orcs.

• LoD254LoD254 Member Posts: 373
    More PvP is a good thing as long as its not that just huge fights are how things always happen. My computer usually lags out and drops me in large gatherings.  Since WoW isnt predicted for at least june ill probably grab a copy of Lineage II in february if its comes out as schedueled.

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     If i were to buy any mmorpgs to wait out WoW it will be FFXI and if i get bored of that EQ2 when it comes out.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • LoD254LoD254 Member Posts: 373
    Is FF pvp oriented at all?

• rathmarathma Member UncommonPosts: 3,786
     Not yet.

http://www.OriginNow.com - Official Fanboi

EverQuest II : Level 20 Paladin - Antonia Bayle Server
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593

You dont want to play FF XI online. That game is not a game, its WORK. Almost everything you do takes an enorumously long time and is very tedious and the forced grouping in that game is one of the worst Ive seen. Basically only one class can solo, rest are fucked and have to look for group for hours.

• AshanorAshanor Member UncommonPosts: 109
    Personally I think World of Warcraft graphics blow Lineage II away. I mean, sure, Lineage has a higher Polycount and will probably push your system to a crawl in high traffic areas but have you looked at the lack of detail in the enviorments? *pukes* Looks so bland, colorless, lifeless. World of Warcraft on the other hand looks bright and colorful with some of the best attention to details I have ever seen in a game.

Human - Rogue

• RaptorStormRaptorStorm Member Posts: 312

Hey LoD254,

I read your post and the replying posts, doesn't look like a lot was answered for you.

I don't know if you have ever played Shadowbane or Ever Quest but here in lies the differences. WoW plays just like EQ and DAoC, the UI is based off key commands for movement and such. L2 is like Shadowbane where it has a point and click system (much like Diablo or Dungeon Siege if you haven't played Shadowbane).

Also like Shadowbane, L2 is PvP designed around larger scale siege battles. Not much else on L2's PvP has been proven beyond rumor, some say it won't be as hardcore as the current over seas beta, some say it will be free reign PvP like Shadowbane is. Either way as far as I know WoW won't be PvP at all, I personally like PvP but that won't stop me from trying WoW.

I'm not sure where Ashanor is getting his info from, but perhaps you should download the movies on the official L2 site, they show some beautiful waterfall backgrounds and nice city designs. I'm not saying they are better then WoW, WoW is more cartooney with its graphics and L2 went for realism, it would just depend which one hit your fancy.

In my opinion WoW... err blizzard rather is trying to back door EQ (which is why SOE retaliated with its RTS Lords of EQ). In that sense WoW will probably be a better version of EQ, taking what EQ has and improving it. I also feel L2 looks just like a better version of Shadowbane, fixing what it was that Shadowbane really messed up on. I don't know if L2 looked at Shadowbane and said we can do this better (like what WoW seems to have done to EQ), or if simply they had the same idea and have taken longer to make it.

Because both games are still in development it would be really hard to point out item differences and xp rates and such because that could change so fast. Probably the best thing to point out is that WoW is going after the EQ fan club, so it will probably be a lot like DAoC and a better EQ. L2 seems to be taking a much different route, a route that very few mmorpg's have went down successfully. I will be trying both because both games look to be promising and I'll let the actual game play make my decision. Which is what I recommend, we have all wasted more then 50 bucks before on dumber things.

Those are my views... seen through a broken glass.
    -Raptor

Smith & Wesson: The original point and click interface.
    -Raptor

• el_Slackoel_Slacko Member Posts: 310

RaptorStorm, most of what you just said left my jaw on the floor. Almost every line was either exaggerated or completely wrong in its info.

"Wow plays just like EQ"    bullcrap. saying that before a game is even in beta is idiotic. DAoC plays just like EQ, just because you use the keyboard for most of the commands, doesnt make it JUST LIKE another game. If that was true, almost every MMORPG out there that wasnt Lineage(1 or 2) and Shadowbane would fall under this category.

"L2 is like Shadowbane.."    again, bullcrap. You even said Shadowbane was like Diablo! My god man, have you even played either one? Diablo(2) is nothing like SB or any other MMORPG. It is a RPG similar to Baulders Gate. Shadowbane is more like EQ than it is like Diablo. Lineage2 is mouse driven because Lineage1 was mouse driven, and they said that they thought most people liked that interface and stuck with it. Not to mention!...Lineage2 will have the ability to convert all its (or most anyways) mouse-driven options to keyboard shortcuts, as stated by the developers.

The next 2 paragraphs about PvP and graphics is mostly true, simply because I havent researched the PvP extensively.

"...err blizzard is trying to backdoor EQ"    riiight. Or mabey Blizzard just decided to try MMORPG in a game like every company and their associates are trying right now? Also, Sony made Lords of Everquest, not to "backdoor" Blizzard, but to make more damn money, which, if you got a brain and a single eyeball, you could have figured out from the loads of expansions they make you buy just to be competitive.

"In that sense WoW will probably be a better version of EQ...(and all the rest of the paragraph)"    Ok now, I can tell you dont study MMORPGs much, as I do, so Ill try to be nice here. Those statements were more than 99% likely completely wrong. WoW is a completely different game than EQ, and all you have to do is look at a screenshot, for 1, its 3rd person, whereas EQ was 1st. The crafting and GUI(general user interface) is completely different. I havent seen WoW combat, but id bet dollars to rocks that it is also completely different.

Both game companies took a look at EQ and SB and tried to make a better game? Hell no, they looked at MMORPGs in general and tried to make a better MMORPG, as have DOZENS of other game compaines.

Wow is going after the EQ fanbases? Dude, EVERYBODY is going after the EQ fan bases. EQ has a few 100 thousand players, Id go after them too. But that doesnt mean they designed their game to attract EQ players in particular! Many companies have looked at games like UO, EQ and AC to see what game systems people prefer and try to incorporate them into their games, to give players a sense of the familiar.

...seen through a broken glass.....   All I can say is to get new glasses, they arent that expensive...

• ARV1ARV1 Member Posts: 64

no comment:::^D::

If you want a free and fun mmorpg to play check out www.ogreisland.com
    My char is MelkorARV feel free to ask me for some help if you need it.

Well I can't argue with people that don't read my posts. WoW plays like EQ because it does. They both use the same UI, which stands for user interface; there for the way you will play both games is the same. Just like Dungeon Siege and Diablo's interface is much like Shadowbane's and L2's because it is, they are all point and click, yes Shadowbane and Dungeon Siege could camera scroll too but it still is a point and click system, sorry if you don't feel that way, you're wrong. I do apologize, el_Slacko, if you didn't know what UI meant in my post. But this is what I typed "WoW plays just like EQ and DAoC, the UI is based off key commands for movement and such." if you took that any other way then the fact that the User Interface is the same I'm sorry you read further into my post then you should have. You are right, the games are still beta and there fore everything else could change, however you are wrong, the UI or User Interface will probably never be touched because that would mean a total revamp of the game.

As far as back dooring EQ, actually I started the sentence with "In my opinion". Now my opinion was based off after having lunch with the VP of SOE that took over four hours of BSing I was specifically told by him that their reason for Lords of EQ was to respond to Blizzard flopping down into the mmorpg market. So take my statement how ever you want, either way WoW is using a lot of EQ's stuff as its base.

Well I'm sorry you are arguing with out knowing a lot about WoW. I have seen the combat in WoW and I've played EQ. Both games use keyboard commands and both games have third person and first person views. WoW is going after the EQ crowd is a blanket statement. Yes EQ has a lot of the mmorpger's out there, my statement was made being that WoW will be implementing a lot of things EQ uses.

Ok, here is what I think el_Slacko wants to read, cut and dry info.

WoW implements a keyboard command interface like EQ and DAoC.
    WoW has the same camera angles that EQ and DAoC have, third person fixed and first person.
    WoW will have a PvP server just like EQ does.
    WoW is to early of a game to state items and xp.

L2 uses a point and click interface like Shadowbane does.
    L2 has rotating camera angles like Shadowbane does.
    L2 has PvP battles based around sieges like Shadowbane does.
    L2 is to early of a game to state items and xp.

More later, I have to go, company just showed up.

-Raptor

-Raptor

• RamsezRamsez Member Posts: 74
    I played Lineage 2 beta and, it's really not what people thinks. It's not that good, FFXI rocks it, and not telling this just cuz I play it, FFXI is really better. Lineage 2 leveling is even slower than FFXI.

Meet me on Shiva, Ramsez
    Or meet me on POL, Ramsez

I have also heard the L2 can get really repetitive; I can only take this for face value though because I can play any mmorpg in a repetitive fashion... just going to the same spot over and over to get good items or good xp.

Like Ramsez stated, I have heard a lot of good things about FFXI and I have a lot of friends that play it and love it... I have heard bad things about it too but I have heard more good then bad. I like PvP and FFXI doesn't have full reign PvP, so this pulls my attention away from FFXI but others may and most certainly do feel different I'm sure. The only problem is the subject topic asked by the originator of this thread was WoW vs L2, so I was trying to stay on the subject topic.

Again my suggestion / opinion is to try both games because they both look and sound promising.

-Raptor

-Raptor

• RulanRulan Member Posts: 19
    WoW looks much better than Lineage II at the moment. L2 has like no info on it in NA, except sites that keep linking to Asian pages. The animations and spell effects are weak (I have seen the movies, it seems like each person casts the same 3 spell effects and 1 attack animation)... if the PvP is good I might check it out but most likely my money will be going to WoW and/or UXO.

• BigPeelerBigPeeler Member Posts: 1,270

i think WoW and L2 are both great in their own ways... I personally like Lineage 2 more atm though...

im a long time player on Lineage 1 (which btw is the worlds biggest online game atm) adn i have played in the Lineage 2 Korean beta...

alot of the negative responses im seeing towards Lineage 2 are either false or ill-informed... i'll explain a few...

1) "Lineage 2 is bassically SB with better graphix, all about PK'ing... too many griefers" well Lineage 2 uses nearly the exact same system that Lineage 1 had and griefers were hardly ever a problem... Lineage 2 unlike SB has strict penalties against PK'ers such as negative karma which leaves u perfectly open for anybody to hunt you... PK'ing is a factor yes, but its not as bad as ppl say...

2) "Nothing in the way of story line" i dont understand where anybody can get this... if you even go to official website you can read the very extensive background for yourself... it is also a prequal to Lineage 1 which IMO had one of the best story lines ive ever seen in an MMORPG

3) "Nothing in the way of content, barey any class's, only a few skills..." it has 30+ total class's each with totally unique play styles and many skills (you can read them for urself on l2.orphus.com)... the game also has a HUGE world with seamless zoning which is constantly evolving with each update (which btw u dont have to buy a new box for every time, u simply download it for free)... this game also has many many monsters and items (you can read up on them yourselves at l2.orphus.com)

4) "ya but there's no way my computer would handle any of those sieges/war's" Lineage 2 uses systems which decrease the detail level's and polygon counts when large amounts of player's hit the screen, i ran Lineage 2 Korean Beta off a 1.1ghz, 256 Ram, 32 MB Nvidia GeForce computer just fine ^^... there are also many ingame options to tweak the graphix

5) "but its a mouse driven game >_<" yes your correct it is mouse driven... but NC did a perfect job at utilizing the mouse for this game... i was also thinking "oh yay a click fest" before i tried the beta but afterwards i never wanted to go back to keyboard again... oh and for you keyboard fans, there ARE keyboard controlls in the game also ^.-

this game also has many unique features such as sieging, dragons, politics and many more...

the only thing IMO that would hold L2 back in the North American market is the fact that not many ppl know about it... its doing just fine in Korea in fact it made world records when it recieved 130,000 paying customer's in its 1st 6 days of commercial service and not to mention Lineage 1 is currently the worlds largest online game... the only problem now is getting it to work for the NA market...

--------------------------------------

• BigPeelerBigPeeler Member Posts: 1,270

Originally posted by Ramsez
    I played Lineage 2 beta and, it's really not what people thinks. It's not that good, FFXI rocks it, and not telling this just cuz I play it, FFXI is really better. Lineage 2 leveling is even slower than FFXI.

Meet me on Shiva, Ramsez
    Or meet me on POL, Ramsez

sry i just have to reply to this... most ppl can hit lvl 20 in a matter of 2-3 days (or less) in Lineage 2 and already there are many lvl 70's... not to mention L2 has no lvl cap ^^

--------------------------------------

• ChuckaChucka Member Posts: 109
    just to clear this topic of any confusision... sure lineage 2 is a good game but WoW |>///|/5 it mmmmmmk

Cheers,

Cheers, Dedicated WoW Fan

• MistiMisti Member Posts: 724

I think both games look great and a very hard choice.

Lineage 2 has far better graphics (not that there is anything wrong with WoW's which are quite nice) and an amazing selection of classes that seems far greater then any other mmorpg I have played.

The creatures and landscapes seem very diverse in Lineage II (unlike FFXI which has to be the single worst mmorpg I have ever seen in regards to variety of monsters).  WoW seems a bit more limited in the creature variety but its really too early to tell at least until beta.

One of the biggest things that I lean toward WoW for are the non point and click movement.  I have read that you can use the keys to control your movement in Lineage II but still dont know for 100% and I will never play a point and click movement mmorpg again.  Its totally non-imersive, horridly out of your control and prone to attacking things you dont want to or clicking on npcs rather then destinations, and letting the computer decide how you get from point A to point B is never a good choice. 

Im not a huge pvp person so that puts me on the fence a little on Lineage II but I dont mind a little of it if well done with penalties for idiots who just like to run around pking.  Comparing Lineage II to Shadowbane makes me shudder though.  If Lineage II is anything like that horrid thing I wont bother playing it.

I think Lineage II will be out before WoW so I will give it a try at that point and decide if I should try WoW from there.

Just to clarify a bit. I used Shadowbane as a point of reference for analogy reasons. The two games are still very different in anything deeper then a similar interface and similar siege battles.

I can't read Chinese so I don't know how to map the movements to the keyboard... though I can say from what I've played of L2 the only thing similar to Shadowbane with the point and clicking is walking and highlighting objects.

In Shadowbane if you took the mouse over to the edge of the screen and pushed the mouse off the screen, the screen would rotate around your character, so if you wanted to rotate the camera angle up you push the mouse off the top of the screen and so on for the other directions. In L2 you need to click and hold down the right mouse button, once you've done this the camera will move with the movements of the mouse.

Shadowbane was clumsy for chaotic combat, clicking on allies and attacking them on accident was really easy if you didn't pay close attention. Not sure why it doesn't seem that way in L2 but it doesn't. When you click on a creature you see the creature's name in the top middle of your screen with its health and such, then when you mouse back over the creature your mouse pointer changes to a default action. For NPC's the mouse icon changes to a chat bubble and for monsters the icon changes to a sword indicating attack. You can then click on the creature again to do the default action. You can't just double click on anything, you have to click then stop clicking for the name to get on your screen then you can click again. It looks like this should almost completely eliminate accidental attacks from other players, that and the default action towards another player is not the 'attack sword'.

You pick up stuff just like you do in Shadowbane, click on it and your character runs over to it and will pick it up.

Now this part seems to be a mixture of a few games but is really nice. You have action Icons that you can move to your "hot list" which is mapped to your "F" keys F1-F10 (and you have several rows of 1-10 that you can scroll back and forth on). You drag these icons to one of these boxes and you can use more key commands then mouse clicking. This really sped up combat, click on the monster then hit the F-Button that held my 'attack icon' in it, instead of waiting for the mouse cursor to change. Then when the monster died and spewed great treasures from its bowels I could click on another F-Button that I had my 'pick up closest objects' icon in, instead of having to try and find stuff in tall grass then get an angle to click on it. This seems kind of like EQ, where while you are attacking you can click on special attacks or click on an F-Key that you have mapped to a special attack and start showing off with different combat maneuvers and such. From the looks of it every action and skill have a little icon for it that you can toss into your 'hot list', from sitting and standing to waving to auto targeting the next monster and attacking it.

Now the one thing I can say that I hope they change before the final version of L2, is the variety of starting characters. Everyone starts in a city of their race, so if you're human all you will see when you log in is humans. Well when you create your character you have a warrior or a mage then male or female, not much else, a hand full of hair styles, two or more different faces and that's about it. So when you first start playing, doesn't matter what race you are, it looks like a fantasy version of Clone Wars. You definably wouldn't be able to log on and say "hey look, there's Jim with his ever funky lime green hair cut." I hope that as levels progress and equipment becomes very different that the players start to look more unique instead of something out of a Borg Collectiveness.

I hope this puts more light on L2 for everyone, feel free to ask me questions in the L2 forum here. The more I play the more I will be able to answer questions.

-Raptor

-Raptor