Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

how is this game

shugooshugoo Member Posts: 149
on other fourms iver seen ppl saying they left sertain games for this one if its as good as i here is there a trail?

Comments

• SeirusSeirus Member Posts: 5
    otaku? at firs read this - http://mmorpg.com/discussion2.cfm/thread/79271 than - TRIAL 

• mindspatmindspat Member Posts: 1,367

Originally posted by shugoo
    on other fourms iver seen ppl saying they left sertain games for this one if its as good as i here is there a trail?

Be warned Shugoo, EVE Online is NOT your average MMORPG. 

EVE is a dynamic game of galactic domination and corporate dominated star systems. 

The game play can be slow if you're are not familiar with what to do or how to do it. 

It has a VERY steep learning curve and is not kind to those who possess somewhat less then normal inteligence.  (it's brutally awesome!)

Words of advice:

avoid minning.

do not take more then 4 jumps in a direcion.  If you do you are lost.

complete the tutorial

complete the tutorial

complete the tutorial

ask for as much help as possible

and...complete the tutorial.

• ValiumSummerValiumSummer Member Posts: 1,008

A friend of mine asked for some advice on what do to in the game.  

Here is what i suggeted 

If you do play the game I can't recommend you dedicate any substantial amount of training to mining.

I would only recommend training mining if it was on a second account.   I have heard new people say "i'm going to train mining to fund my PVP" .   Well if you have trained mining skills then you'll have a crap load of isk and NO skills to PVP with.   PLUS you will have gone insane from staring at asteroids all day.  

I'd recommend NPC'ing and running missions before mining.  At least you'll be training skills that will help you in combat.   Mission running will get old too as will low sec ratting.     The sooner you can put yourself into the PVP world the better.  

Thats just my humble opinion.

• When I first gave the game a look, there was no tutorial. It's a great game and I'm considering returning but need to find a TimeCard selling site. It's a game where the friends you know can get you places. Plus I usually hate pvp but in EVE it rules!
  • KarakazKarakaz Member Posts: 12

Well what can I say. This is my first mmorpg so I don't have any comparing material but yes it is a great game. At first the game starts slow, but that is only because there are so many things to explore and you have to make up you mind what you wanna do. Also there are alot of helpfull people arround where you can ask questions. There is allways someone who knows the answer.
    The pvp part is really fun, I would recomend you try your hands on that. Steal stuff from people or protect them, hunt in groups etc etc.

Do the trial and you will see why it is first place.

• You usually love your first ever mmorpg, even if it's good or bad. For me it was Star Wars Galaxies and that game was riddled with issues but it still rocked.... I still miss it now *falls to his knees and cries out loud*

Sorry about that.... I hate SOE, they screwed the game up!
  • SonofSethSonofSeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,884

Inteligence and EVE complexity!

I am realy sorry, but I just can't find that huge amount of complexity. The fact is that lack of rules and game-mechanic limitations gives you alot more freedom to do what you choose, more then big majority of popular MMORPGs played now. But also the fact is that game revolves around PVP and economy, and some realy limited PVE, you can see that if you do more than 2 agent missions (PVE type).

So, inteligence..!??  I don't think so, I mean, I see how stupid people who play this game (by this I don't mean that people who play this game are stupid, I'm just refering to those that are, btw. I'm playing it to) want to feel special, but sorry, not to much inteligence needed to play EVE, more like patience.

Imagination?!? Well, now we're talking about something of bit more supstance for the topic at hand. Can you imagine a game like chess, where you can have your figures with designated roles and 8x8 board? Yes, ok, now you have to be aware that everywhere you play it that game of chess will be the same, same pieces, and same board, with litle variations. EVE is like that, it has like 3 basic options and absolutely enormous amount of detail about it, from statistics to percenatages, diferent types of ammo for every single piece of weaponry, all that combined with gazillion skills that afect your use of those same weapons....... So you realy need to have unfailingly big amount of imagination to find ways to play this game in an interesting way, because it's easily described as the most boring grind of them all and the most annoying waiting time for skills to train.

EWERYWHERE YOU GO, IT'S SPACE, just with some color variations.

I'll see how I feel about it when I'm finished with learning to learn.

• Rod_BRod_B Member Posts: 203

Originally posted by SonofSeth

Inteligence and EVE complexity!
    I am realy sorry, but I just can't find that huge amount of complexity. The fact is that lack of rules and game-mechanic limitations gives you alot more freedom to do what you choose, more then big majority of popular MMORPGs played now. But also the fact is that game revolves around PVP and economy, and some realy limited PVE, you can see that if you do more than 2 agent missions (PVE type).
    So, inteligence..!??  I don't think so, I mean, I see how stupid people who play this game (by this I don't mean that people who play this game are stupid, I'm just refering to those that are, btw. I'm playing it to) want to feel special, but sorry, not to much inteligence needed to play EVE, more like patience.
    Imagination?!? Well, now we're talking about something of bit more supstance for the topic at hand. Can you imagine a game like chess, where you can have your figures with designated roles and 8x8 board? Yes, ok, now you have to be aware that everywhere you play it that game of chess will be the same, same pieces, and same board, with litle variations. EVE is like that, it has like 3 basic options and absolutely enormous amount of detail about it, from statistics to percenatages, diferent types of ammo for every single piece of weaponry, all that combined with gazillion skills that afect your use of those same weapons....... So you realy need to have unfailingly big amount of imagination to find ways to play this game in an interesting way, because it's easily described as the most boring grind of them all and the most annoying waiting time for skills to train.
    EWERYWHERE YOU GO, IT'S SPACE, just with some color variations.
    I'll see how I feel about it when I'm finished with learning to learn.

How long have you been playing it exactly ?

28 days.

Hahaha, then this makes 28 DAYS LATER!  

• human151human151 Member Posts: 1

NOOB.

28 DAYS....your not qaulified to speak about eve as not being "intelligent".

Your barely out of your ibis, my friend.  

• Rod_BRod_B Member Posts: 203

Give it another three months. Then lets talk about the complexity and so on again.

I can see where you don't find it really that complex at start, since it's more extremely detailed then extremely complex in terms of economy and shi[p fitting and so on. But the complexity does come with time. Once you're in a corporation that for example manages a complete production line from moon mining and mineral refining to tech2 component production, large resource logistic movements, out post management, and player politics and war to top it all of I think you'll see how complex it can actually get on that level.

It's when you look at what's possible rather then what's alreayd given that the complexity scales up along with your imagination.

Originally posted by human151

NOOB.

Criticism noted, I am a noob, as in not very expirienced with the game, but I hardly see how longer playing time will reveal the immence so called depth this game is suppused to have.

This is a great war game, with all those tactics options and many diferent modules that can turn two essentially same ships into completly diferent ships depending on its role in a skirmish. Maybe thats the reason why so many real life soldiers and mechanics play the game.

But what bugs me is all this talk about inteligence needed to play the game. Comon be honest, is it realy inteligence that is needed to play this game or is it something more basic, like, let's say literacy. Because to me, inteligence is needed to actualy figure something out that is in no other way posible, apart from using your intelect. If you have time and are willing to put in the effort needed to read the manual and do some calculations (basic mathemathic skills), you can find out anything you want to know about the gameplay.

But PVP kicks some serious ass, definetly, I would like to see newer games to be brave enough to come with that much moxy and freedom.

Originally posted by Rod_B

Give it another three months. Then lets talk about the complexity and so on again.
    I can see where you don't find it really that complex at start, since it's more extremely detailed then extremely complex in terms of economy and shi[p fitting and so on. But the complexity does come with time. Once you're in a corporation that for example manages a complete production line from moon mining and mineral refining to tech2 component production, large resource logistic movements, out post management, and player politics and war to top it all of I think you'll see how complex it can actually get on that level.
    It's when you look at what's possible rather then what's alreayd given that the complexity scales up along with your imagination.

I agree, raising a corporation in EVE and making it work would be apsolutly worthy effort and an interesting social or even more economic study. Great if you're an economics major and you need to turn in a paper on virtual world economics, EVE would be a great place to try rules and regulations from real world in virtual and see how people act in their buisnees ventures when there is no real gain or loss, only virtual.

• GlacianNexGlacianNex Member UncommonPosts: 652

NOOB.

Criticism noted, I am a noob, as in not very expirienced with the game, but I hardly see how longer playing time will reveal the immence so called depth this game is suppused to have.

This is a great war game, with all those tactics options and many diferent modules that can turn two essentially same ships into completly diferent ships depending on its role in a skirmish. Maybe thats the reason why so many real life soldiers and mechanics play the game.

But what bugs me is all this talk about inteligence needed to play the game. Comon be honest, is it realy inteligence that is needed to play this game or is it something more basic, like, let's say literacy. Because to me, inteligence is needed to actualy figure something out that is in no other way posible, apart from using your intelect. If you have time and are willing to put in the effort needed to read the manual and do some calculations (basic mathemathic skills), you can find out anything you want to know about the gameplay.

But PVP kicks some serious ass, definetly, I would like to see newer games to be brave enough to come with that much moxy and freedom.

I will agree and disagree with you at the same time. If we take your definition of inteligence, then yes for the better part of the game you dont need to 'inteligent' you just have to be presistant, literate and willing to understand and to learn.

However when you get into politics point of the game, and when you have to solve political problems and resolve conflicts that involve not only you and your corp mate but also peoples from other corps that is where inteligence is required. If a corporation is to survive in the world of EVE its leaders and officers have to be patient and inteligent people, without it a couple of ill made designions and you are out of the picture.

Do a lot of people get to participate in the 'inteligent' part of the game? Those who wish to do it. If you are in the corp and you show that you are responsible and can get things done, with time officers will be glad to put some responcibilities on your sholders.

I think that in a lot of cases when people say inteligent they mean literate and patient people who seek more then just "OMFG I PWN YOOO!" type of satisfaction.
  • apertotesapertotes Member Posts: 363

NOOB.28 DAYS....your not qaulified to speak about eve as not being "intelligent".Your barely out of your ibis, my friend.   Criticism noted, I am a noob, as in not very expirienced with the game, but I hardly see how longer playing time will reveal the immence so called depth this game is suppused to have.

well, its up to you to show intelligence or not. this game is completely open ended, and lets do you almost anything you want. so if you want to do intelligent things, you can go ahead and do it (thinking about Guiding Hand Social Club and some of their most famous plays, sure it takes not only ingame skills, but also out of game intelligence).

it is like lego. if you dont think lego requires intelligence, then you wont share my point of view, but i think that lego requires a lot of intellingence if you want to create something interesting, different, beautiful. for me, EVE is the same. you got your skills, the game gives you the tools to do anything you want with those skills. but doing what everybody is doing, is not a sign of intelligence. probably the most powerful players on EVE are quite clever people on real life, and they used that intelligence to take advantadge on the game by doing things nobody did before, and succeding, and for me that is a sign of intelligence.

Yes, yes, I agree with both of you, Urza and apertotes, to be exceptional in anything you need superior inteligence, and EVE doesent fall short in that field, and if you follow that same logic, inteligent person can play WoW inteligently to, so does that mean WoW requires inteligence?! Ofcourse not!

My beef is with those that respond without thinking, with those that upon reading someones post saying "I don't like this game, it's boring...bla, bla..." they imidietly claim that obviously that poster is lacking inteligence and thus canot begin to comprehend the everything that is EVE, that is what I'm calling crap!

Biggets and best part of this game is it's social aspects and oportunitys, but calling every player that doesen't want to be a part of corporation stupid, well, how smart is that!? Stupid is the player that buys this game and then gets disapointed because he didn't know anything about it before he started playing.

I'm curently on EVE forums and loking into corporations to find something that would appeal to me, but I also like to solo. Why play a MMO if I want to solo you ask? Well, you can't realy solo in a singleplayer game, now can't you, it kinda takes away the whole point of soloing if the game offers only that aspect, but soloing something and then sharing war stories after, well, that's something. And this is only one aspect of personal tastes when concidering playstyles and gamestyles, many people don't actualy like space that much, and some would realy like to take a stroll trough the station and grab a drink in a bar, because it gets kinda lonely beeing stuck in that pod all the time talking to other people only trough com-system.

• SonOfAGhostSonOfAGhost Member Posts: 383
    So Seth is saying Eve is like chess but even more complex. Ok I can see that. Since when doesn't chess require intelligence to play well? To paraphrase Princess Bride:

Intelligence, you keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Originally posted by SonOfAGhost
    So Seth is saying Eve is like chess but even more complex. Ok I can see that. Since when doesn't chess require intelligence to play well? To paraphrase Princess Bride:
    Intelligence, you keep using that word, I don't think it means what you think it means.

Think of EVE as Chess with 3 pieces on every side, but with board the size of planet.

• apertotesapertotes Member Posts: 363

Originally posted by SonOfAGhost So Seth is saying Eve is like chess but even more complex. Ok I can see that. Since when doesn't chess require intelligence to play well? To paraphrase Princess Bride:
    Think of EVE as Chess with 3 pieces on every side, but with board the size of planet.

even if we only speak about the combar part of the game, there would be more than 3 pieces. you have BS, cruisers, frigates, logistics, hacs, recon ships, cover ops, carriers, interceptors, destroyers, interdictors, BCs, command ships... each of them got different stats, different roles, different tactics, different play stiles.

but then you also have to count the non-combat part of the game, which even so is pvp intensive, like production, market strategies, having the best resources, research...

in the end, this game lets you do almost anything. so it really doesnt require intelligence, but just like real life, intelligent players will be better.

• thursdaythursday Member Posts: 24

Why did I have to read this thread?

Now I have to go back to see if my Fed MegaT hasn't rusted away from months of healthy RL mothballing.

• SobaManSobaMan Member Posts: 384

Originally posted by thursday

Why did I have to read this thread?
    Now I have to go back to see if my Fed MegaT hasn't rusted away from months of healthy RL mothballing.

Ummm... contact Kurren in-game if you can't find a use for that beautiful black beast!

Complexity, intelligence... two words... Political Agendas.  I've never played a game that I can influence, and I mean I can actually influence it.  I may not, and I probably won't for some time... but I can.  Every ship I blow up fluxuates the market (I'm not a pirate... just mean with my guns towards people I don't like)... and that is the smallest scale of my influence.  So... gimme your Fed Mega!  Let me fluxuate the market even more!! 

We can agree to disagree, or we can bicker constantly... either way, I'm right.
    SobaKai.com
    There are two types of people in this world - people that suck... and me.