Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Streamers, a major problem in big Mmorpgs

2»

Comments

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Kyleran
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Streamers are like forum posters: some you pay attention to and others you just totally ignore.
    DibdabsAsm0deusKyleranOldKingLogThe_KorriganSovrath
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
    Iselin said:
    Streamers are like forum posters: some you pay attention to and others you just totally ignore.
    So that either makes me Amouranth or Asmongold?
    Amouwhat and Asmowho?
    KyleranTokken
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,456
    Iselin said:
    So that either makes me Amouranth or Asmongold?

Amouranth streams video games? I kid I kid lol
    Asm0deusKyleran
    edited April 2023
    kitarad said:
    Diablo Immoral's multi tiered system to fleece players would not have been discovered but for some of these streamers and it was quite a convoluted system that most players would never have figured out. I am grateful for these youtubers spending their time and their patrons' money on that discovery.
    Exactly right.

The only streamers I bother with (other than occasionally following a link to others if it looks interesting) are the ones who are dedicated to one or a couple of games I play because they're much more knowledgeable about that game or games than the big name streamers who have superficial takes.

Even then, I almost never watch a live stream unless there's some Twitch drop happening I'm interested in getting.

The crowd that writes (actual written words! :)) over at Maxroll is a reliable and knowledgeable group about the ARPGs they cover. That was where I got most of my info about the convoluted P2W monetization in Diablo Immortal.

They also got some extra brownie points when they decided to wash their hands off DI, delisted it, and stopped covering it.
    Kyleran

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
    Dibdabs said:
    Streamers are so generic I am surprised they can attract and maintain an audience.  They're just clones of each other.

It doesnt say much for the audience does it?
    Kyleran
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    edited April 2023
    Iselin said:

I'd like to agree but I've seen annoying and direct bullshit in games thanks to not necessarily the streamers themselves but certainly due to the moronic behavior of their cult like sycophantic followers and/or haters. Using social media to hype your game can only end in tears. I'd like to cite for example the recent imbecilic cultural melt down over a certain interweb celebrity being picked to sell a certain brand of beer.

Post edited by OldKingLog on
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Nilden said:
    Remember this gem? 18 million followers multi millionaire and the guy is still cringe.
    Is that this PewDiePie.. or however he's called from somewhere in Scandinavia ? I have no clue how he actually looks like.

I think his "trick" IS being cringe. I checked out some of his stuff and he never was anything but. I guess his audience is teenagers who think cringe is cool.

Either way he was just lucky to be at the right spot in the right time. Nobody else is becoming multimillionaire through YouTube anymore. Thus its no surprise that he's not actually that special as an entertainer. He just had luck is all.

Nilden said:
    I'd rather play the game myself.
    Yeah but at a certain point it gets very interesting to watch people play games you've played. I often find out things I didnt knew about the game this way.

For example my probably most favorite streamer, ManyATrueNerd, is currently playing Oblivion, and he finds a TON of stuff I had no idea existed. Granted, every time I tried to play TES, it was mainly a horrible struggle with the rulesystem. If I was playing what ManyATrueNerd was playing, I would obsess over getting 5 in two stats every levelup.

Another example is speedruns. You can learn a lot of stuff about games watching speedruns, even if you yourself dont do them.

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498

Nilden said:
    Remember this gem? 18 million followers multi millionaire and the guy is still cringe.
    Is that this PewDiePie.. or however he's called from somewhere in Scandinavia ? I have no clue how he actually looks like.

I think his "trick" IS being cringe. I checked out some of his stuff and he never was anything but. I guess his audience is teenagers who think cringe is cool.

Either way he was just lucky to be at the right spot in the right time. Nobody else is becoming multimillionaire through YouTube anymore. Thus its no surprise that he's not actually that special as an entertainer. He just had luck is all.

Nilden said:
    Yeah but at a certain point it gets very interesting to watch people play games you've played. I often find out things I didnt knew about the game this way.

For example my probably most favorite streamer, ManyATrueNerd, is currently playing Oblivion, and he finds a TON of stuff I had no idea existed. Granted, every time I tried to play TES, it was mainly a horrible struggle with the rulesystem. If I was playing what ManyATrueNerd was playing, I would obsess over getting 5 in two stats every levelup.

Another example is speedruns. You can learn a lot of stuff about games watching speedruns, even if you yourself dont do them.

Naw, life's too short to spend even a moment watching other people play games.

;)

OldKingLogDibdabs

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Kyleran said:

Nilden said:

Nilden said:

;)

I'm going to start streaming me watching other streamers, seems very zen.
    Kyleran
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Kyleran said:

Nilden said:

Nilden said:

;)

Asmongold does that and gets 500k views in a day and it boosts the person he's watching views too. I know ...
    OldKingLogcheyane

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    kitarad said:
    Kyleran said:

Nilden said:

Nilden said:

;)

Asmongold does that and gets 500k views in a day and it boosts the person he's watching views too. I know ...

OldKingLog

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    edited April 2023
    The first I saw it I was like 'The fuck'. I mean he literally just watches pauses and comments on the video and the people who support him are like let's go support the original video guy. I mean all the work was done by the original uploader but 'hey who cares huh"

The level of unfairness and the extent of his influence is stupid but there it is. 

The fact that I know this is like a big fat blemish on me I guess.
    OldKingLogcheyane

• DjijinDjijin Member UncommonPosts: 108
    edited April 2023
    Streamers are an issue, because players are now mostly group think, internet meme influenced people deathly afraid of independent thinking. The streamers become the Pied Piper, and their followers mindless, social bubble followers.

I've seen numerous times streamers turning their audience against others when comments contrary to the streamer's ideals are expressed. I've seen this carried into games where masses of players follow the streamer, repeat the streamers opinions ad nauseam, and attack anyone not parroting the same opinions. They become a plague against social cooperation and participation. Elitism becomes rampant, because most steamers are power gamers and reflect that culture. This elitism has become very apparent even with an anti-meta movement like Hardcore when it becomes popular. 

The issue is the scale and monopolization of influence. Small streams with their niche game play are a positive influence, but larger audiences serve the streamer more than the game itself, and the negative impacts of this become painfully apparent. 
    OldKingLog