Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

AoC worst failure since MxO and SWG?

Comments

• XeniusXenius Member Posts: 25
    Think "it" might be retarded :)

Fish of tommorow

• nixixnixix Member Posts: 21
    This is FunCom's game to ruin. A great analogy would be the US Democrats having the 2004 election in their hands, with nobody but themselves to ruin it.
    I really wish some other developer had taken on this title. I really do. IF there was ANY other name attached to it BUT FunCom...I'm sorry, but I hate to see something with this great a promise shot before it gets out of the gate.

And don't even try and defend FC yet, watch and let them prove what they do best. Foul a great thing.

If you never played AO, do a search for "optiflex shoulderpads". That's your boy FC hard at work.

Just somebody find another company! Please!

• XpheyelXpheyel Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 704

You're indicting FC because the AO graphics screw up visual shoulderpads on Opifex..?

I think Anarchy Online is a lot of fun though its kind of an old-style game with a fair bit of grinding and lewt hunting.

• nixixnixix Member Posts: 21
    No, no, only using that simple example of one of many, many small mistakes. Attention to detail sort of things. If they are anywhere near as callous and indifferent to even the minor bugs/glitches, let alone the many other more major ones..that's all I was trying to illustrate.
    I wouldn't go so far as to agree 100% with the OP, but given their track record the last few years, they'd have to pull off something amazing.

Think of it this way, the Arizona Cardnials NFL team has had many players over the years. Some superstars. First round picks. "Superstars". Yet they've had the same owner who's managed to get involved in things to the point the team is a joke, even more than the Cinncinatti Bengals ever were. So do people run out and buy tickets to next season? Yes, they do. Will they get the most of their money and watch their team kick butt? No. They'd have to win a Superbowl to prove people wrong after all these years, and here we have FunCom, the Arizona Cardinals of the MMO arena

Originally posted by Xpheyel

You're indicting FC because the AO graphics screw up visual shoulderpads on Opifex..?
    I think Anarchy Online is a lot of fun though its kind of an old-style game with a fair bit of grinding and lewt hunting.

• Vin79Vin79 Member Posts: 112

Originally posted by nixix
    No, no, only using that simple example of one of many, many small mistakes. Attention to detail sort of things. If they are anywhere near as callous and indifferent to even the minor bugs/glitches, let alone the many other more major ones..that's all I was trying to illustrate.
    I wouldn't go so far as to agree 100% with the OP, but given their track record the last few years, they'd have to pull off something amazing.

Are we talking about the same company who released 2 expansions that got awards?

Then again i hope the ney sayers actually check the state of the game pre beta before saying to mutch.

• AthameAthame Member Posts: 43
    I'm here to hype this game, too. It and GW are the only things I like oiut there right now. I did hear a rumour that Conan would be rated M tho? because the violence would be graphic. I love Conan, always have but I have small children. I don't know if I want them to see Mommy tearing some guys head off, or ripping his spine out.

Back to official forums to see

• RadiotreeRadiotree Member Posts: 81

Yeah, the M rating is a double edged sword. 

For those with youngsters around, this one may be a bit iffy.  I know I would't want my kids playing it(or watching me play it); their innocence is stripped quick enough without parents contributing to the issue. 

On the other hand, it may do allot to keep the WoW crowd from infesting it.  I know there are going to be many who find their way over, that's a given.  If the M rating keeps 1 leet away, I'd call it a brilliant game plan.(Not bashing WoW, just the ones who enjoy "Pwning n00bs!"...<pointing my finger at akewlguy>).  For this reason alone I'm gonna give it a shot.  Even if I can only play weekends, it should be fun.

To get back on topic...HH, please come back!  You were right, this game is going to be terrible!  Oh why, why didn't we listen to you?!  The horror...the horror...the horror....

• Binny45Binny45 Member UncommonPosts: 522
    I don't play MMO's with my kids there.  When they're awake, I'm spending time with them ;)

I don't think I need to prop up AoC anymore than anyone else has here.  The proof will be in the pudding when the various games get released and the Cheers and Jeers are heard world wide ;)

I think AoC definately has the potential to draw a lot of people to it's fold, and hopefully the M rating will keep some (if not most) of the kiddies from playing.  The community over on their boards is amazing!

• RocwellRocwell Member Posts: 21
    Im all for anything based on Robert E. Howard's work.

• cheggelundcheggelund Member UncommonPosts: 91

Originally posted by Radiotree

Yeah, the M rating is a double edged sword. 
    For those with youngsters around, this one may be a bit iffy.  I know I would't want my kids playing it(or watching me play it); their innocence is stripped quick enough without parents contributing to the issue. 
    On the other hand, it may do allot to keep the WoW crowd from infesting it.  I know there are going to be many who find their way over, that's a given.  If the M rating keeps 1 leet away, I'd call it a brilliant game plan.(Not bashing WoW, just the ones who enjoy "Pwning n00bs!"...<pointing my finger at akewlguy>).  For this reason alone I'm gonna give it a shot.  Even if I can only play weekends, it should be fun.
    To get back on topic...HH, please come back!  You were right, this game is going to be terrible!  Oh why, why didn't we listen to you?!  The horror...the horror...the horror....

Careful what you ask for, maybe HH will be back!

I also agree that for those with children this game might be a bit too violent. Maybe they will have a way to turn off blod/gore?

-Chegg

• EvelknievelEvelknievel Member UncommonPosts: 2,964

Originally posted by nixix

Think of it this way, the Arizona Cardnials NFL team has had many players over the years. Some superstars. First round picks. "Superstars". Yet they've had the same owner who's managed to get involved in things to the point the team is a joke, even more than the Cinncinatti Bengals ever were. So do people run out and buy tickets to next season? Yes, they do. Will they get the most of their money and watch their team kick butt? No. They'd have to win a Superbowl to prove people wrong after all these years, and here we have FunCom, the Arizona Cardinals of the MMO arena

Originally posted by Xpheyel

I still play AO occasionally, when this game was released it had bugs from here to high water. But Funcom managed to iron out the game as it progressed. Not ever mmorpg is going to be perfect and you must take the good with the bad, or just simply stop playing it and become a basher to it since the game did'nt meet your criteria. (enter the: forums pt1)

But all in all, AO to me still rocks and will always be one of my favorite sci-fi mmo's to date and still has alot of people involved in the game.

With FC picking up the AoC title, I think alot of people out there are going to be thrilled when this game releases.

• mouimoui Member Posts: 12
    based on the title of this thread, I just wanted to point out AoC's three "best mmo" awards from E3 this year :D

http://opinionator.net/aoc/e3-awards

Opinionator Games' AoC : http://opinionator.net/aoc

• XeniusXenius Member Posts: 25
     3 omg thats like the best ever omg

Fish of tommorow

• DeletedAcctDeletedAcct Member Posts: 883
    AO is not just popular with the Norwegians, unless I and a few thousand others were moved in our sleep:P And I have great faith in Funcom to make a huge success out of AoC. Am I a Funcom fanboi? No. I realize they have their shortcomings, as do all devs. Am I an AO fan? Absolutely. Funcom turned what started to be the biggest disaster in mmo histoery and completely turned it around into the game it is today and my home away from home. I expect nothing less of AoC, but I will wait until it is out and playable before I fully support it or declare it a failure. Wish everyone could do that instead of formulating unfounded opinions about games that aren't even out yet. When it's out and if it turns out to be garbage, then please feel free to bash it as such. I will probably join you. But until then, any and all opinions of AoC's imminent failure are just that. Opinions.

Originally posted by Zorvan
    AO is not just popular with the Norwegians, unless I and a few thousand others were moved in our sleep:P And I have great faith in Funcom to make a huge success out of AoC. Am I a Funcom fanboi? No. I realize they have their shortcomings, as do all devs. Am I an AO fan? Absolutely. Funcom turned what started to be the biggest disaster in mmo histoery and completely turned it around into the game it is today and my home away from home. I expect nothing less of AoC, but I will wait until it is out and playable before I fully support it or declare it a failure. Wish everyone could do that instead of formulating unfounded opinions about games that aren't even out yet. When it's out and if it turns out to be garbage, then please feel free to bash it as such. I will probably join you. But until then, any and all opinions of AoC's imminent failure are just that. Opinions.

Well said Zovan.

Contructive criticism is great, unfounded bashing is not.

-Chegg

• ShoalShoal Member Posts: 1,156

Point & Click MMORPG Movement/Combat Interface = Loser

Funcom - Change it or Fail

Nuff Said

• De_ValosDe_Valos Member Posts: 23
    Shoal,

Where is it that you've drawn your assumption that Age of Conan: Hyborian Adventures uses a point and click movement/combat interface?  You can use your keyboard, WASD or arrow keys to move your avatar, to attack you press 4-9 on the numeric keypad.  Each press causes your avatar to swing their equipped weapon in a specific direction.  You do not have to click on a MOB in order to strike it.  If the Mob is within range and capable of intersecting the weapons arc you will strike it and thus do damage.  No need to target/click a mob at all.  With this system if you have 50 mobs standing in front of you (not likely) and you press 9 you will swing your blade from the upper right, diagonally down to the lower left, just as a human would swing the weapon striking all mobs within the path of the weapon.

• sahmsahm Member Posts: 1

this is the only game worth waiting for.

blizzard fanboys will be served whine and cheese at the entrance to wow forums ,

now shush back to cartoon world of childplay

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by HyborianHero

I'm wondering if anyone else besides myself is feeling the dark cloud that is starting to hang over this game?
    WTF are you talking about the game hasn't even released yet. Doomed, yes Conan is doomed like all MMO's if you read any games forums.  They are all doomed. People have been crying that their game was a failure since UO released.
    "It seems as more tidbits of information is released that AoC is offering nothing new."
    What would you like to see? Looking at some of its features, I would have to say it is offering many things most MMO's do not have. What specifically are looking for that new or inovative? It is, after all, just another fantasy game. You can only do so much with swords and spells.
    Something new would need to be a radical departure from the current market formula, something most of these companies are probably not willing to do.......why? because MMO's have a pretty sucky profit history. There are maybe 3 or 4 worldwide that are making any "real" money.
    "In fact the game seems to be actually falling behind some of the games currently available. "
    How so?
    It seems FunCom has hooked onto the Conan name in order to make some easy cash.
    Yes, it is always an easy endevor to make a real fast MMO and throw it out there. Honestly, there are much "easier" ways for a corporation to make "easy" money lol. MMO's are a complete crap shoot. Its amazing anyone is still trying to make them. MMO's are probably one of the WORSE investments a company could make.
     (although the potential is out there to make some very good money, very very few companies ever achieve it. So far only NCSoft with Lineage and Lineage II and Blizzard with WoW are the only ones really with "blockbuster" scale games, everyone else is still dabbling around the couple hundred thousand mark or LOWER with most of them dieing off to a "core following" within a few short years)
     But apparently their interest in REH's Hyboria begins and ends there. Conan fans on the AoC forums point out the multitude of areas that FC appear to be simply ignoring. I think this game is going to be an absolute disaster. At least for true Conan and REH fans.
    Oh well, SWG fans feel they got left behind and "real" LOtR fans are crying also.  In fact all these "real" fans always feel like they get "left behind". You know why? Because they expect it to turn out their way. They read to much into the design. Its a game for crying out loud not an alternate lifestyle.
    Unfortunately it may live long enough to be the stellar success that Anarchy Online is. And yes I was being sarcastic. As there is certainly enough people who want nothing more then to prove their l33t status to anyone in ear shot in PvP. No doubt to me, that after the initial tide of interest in the release fades, subscriptions will drop off fast and furious.
    Whatever.
    MMO's have an expected "lifespan" of about 5 years. After 2 or 3 they all go into shrink mode. After 5 technology has completely left the game behind to the hard core followers (UO, AC and EQ for example)

I don't see your point. You are obviously some sort of Conan fan judging from you avatar and name, so whats the problem? You are trying to rip the game up before it even releases. Have you played it? If you have, you  do realize that Betas are not the true game. They are TEST. What you may believe the game is today may not be the case the next....BECAUSE THEY ARE TESTING IT.

Torak, I think HyborianHero is a lost cause. At this point I feel a bit like feeding the troll, oh well ;)

Also, I am so sick of all the WoW fanbois that come here and proclaim that 'point-and-click' combat/movement will ruin the game. Please READ UP on a game before you criticize it.

Thanks for setting that straight De Valos!

-Cheggelund

• TorakTorak Member Posts: 4,905

Originally posted by cheggelund

Torak, I think HyborianHero is a lost cause. At this point I feel a bit like feeding the troll, oh well ;)
    Also, I am so sick of all the WoW fanbois that come here and proclaim that 'point-and-click' combat/movement will ruin the game. Please READ UP on a game before you criticize it.
    Thanks for setting that straight De Valos!
    -Cheggelund

Yeah I see some of his post........I didn't realise he was just a troll. I wasted a big long post on him lol

I have nothing against point and click, I play L2. Its actually easier then w.a.s.d. You just "point and click" lol. (what I do not like is how in some point and clicks the camera needs to be rotated manually, I think FFIX did that) All in all, its simply a matter of taste. if it is good game it will do well.

• RadiotreeRadiotree Member Posts: 81
    For what it's worth, I dont think HH is a troll in a traditional sense.  I think he really does believe what he says.... He just can't say what he thinks without being annoying, emotional, or petty.  Too bad really, maybe he could have found at least some sympathy othewise.  Not from me though
  • Valant6Valant6 Member Posts: 50

Wow..How stupid does this poster look now that AoC has taken home 3 major Best of Show awards from E3, beating out some stiff competition.

Dude you're a moron.

AoC is bringing many innovative features to an MMO title, not to mention some spiff ass graphics along with the incredible gameplay elements....Go watch all the Trailers and gameplay footage from E3 2006, and tell me if you saw a better MMO presentation...

I'll save you the trouble - there wasnt one, and thats coming from a Vanguard Fanboy.

• AlmondManAlmondMan Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by HyborianHero

I'm wondering if anyone else besides myself is feeling the dark cloud that is starting to hang over this game? It seems as more tidbits of information is released that AoC is offering nothing new. In fact the game seems to be actually falling behind some of the games currently available.
    It seems FunCom has hooked onto the Conan name in order to make some easy cash. But apparently their interest in REH's Hyboria begins and ends there. Conan fans on the AoC forums point out the multitude of areas that FC appear to be simply ignoring. I think this game is going to be an absolute disaster. At least for true Conan and REH fans.
    Unfortunately it may live long enough to be the stellar success that Anarchy Online is. And yes I was being sarcastic. As there is certainly enough people who want nothing more then to prove their l33t status to anyone in ear shot in PvP. No doubt to me, that after the initial tide of interest in the release fades, subscriptions will drop off fast and furious.

King carebear? How is there "nothing new" in this title? How is it falling behind others? As a quick look over almost every single title being hyped on this site can tell, then 90% of All upcoming MMOs are clones of World of Warcraft (Vanguard being hyped highly as one, for whatever reason; more pulpy cheese for the masses to revel in I guess) or Lineage 2 clones from NCsoft...

Here we have a title that takes it's creative inspiration from a more "mature", if one can call Conan litterature mature in any other sense of the concept than having explicit sex and violence, source, rather than the usual fairies and elves vs. green men with tusks garbage "we" are all so happy to revel in. That alone is new. On top of that, we have the inclusion of an RTS element, a realtime combat system that in current previews appear to be lightyears ahead of what anyone else has dared do. Ultima Online style combat as breaking edge uberness in WoW and all it's clones is an absurd anakronism that should be done away with. DDO tried, but failed.

Note how above I said creative inspiration? That's right, making a complete copy of a world set down by a depressed and suicidal writer close to 100 years ago, published solely in pulp magazine untill rather recently, and thinking that would be a wonderful and balanced game is an absurdity. Even with more modern and well documented make-believe worlds that would cause no end of problems.

Why? It's this thing called balanced gameplay. While not something anyone has, as of yet anyway, managed to create that on a larger scale than quick-bout FPS games, at least attempting to make a balanced game where you have a relatively varried number of different ways to interact with the game, like fighting or using magic or tradeskilling. If you want a game more closely built to the material it is based upon, you'll have a catastrophy as the world is not ready for anything like that.

We want more or less predictable gameplay with everything set in safe frames so we know everything. Having a more open game world will not happen for many many years. The very idea of more innovative game design for MMOs has been more or less completely abolished by the enourmous (in relation to it's media) success that World of Warcraft is enjoying.

Instead of whining about the straying from a few things in the original litterature, that most players will never have read anyway, who knows some might actually pick it up now, and the fact that the game will involve PvP and not only be a chat interface with pretty graphics,     you should be applauding Funcom for actually bothering to try with another MMO game that dares to be different.
  • AlmondManAlmondMan Member Posts: 10

Originally posted by DaBearman
    My problems aren't with the lore in. My problems are with the way their headed with things. The way it's looking this will just be another snorefest from FC like AO is.  They're also making everything revolve around guilds and trying to steer everyone into guilds, so that signals failure to me. The devs there all seem to be of the "we're cooler than Blizz and Mythic" mentality and have let their bloated heads cloud their judgement. If I was a FC investor I'd be making the call to sell my stock asap. This game is going nowhere but out in their "border lands" where hardly anyone will be playing it.

So your problem with this game is that it's team work orriented? This is a massively multiplayer online game. That "massively" and "multiplayer" part of the name of the genre has to do with playing the game with other people. People who are not egotistical noobs who's only reason for playing the game is to build solo, a character at the highest level with the best equipment possible, gained through leeching on the efforts of a few other people. That kind of person doesn't work in a guild orriented environment, because such an environment involves giving to other people and not only receiving. Guys like you are free to just play the 20 lvl solo part of the game and then never look at the online part. Noone forces you to do that. And honestly, I hope that there'll be as few of your kind as possible in AoC so my game experience won't be ruined. I am sure you're already drooling over joining the bot to raid Tulsa Doom's fortress or something goofy like that...

Yea, some of you may know me as Mastablasta over on the AO forums...