Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Idea: For new releases of FFA Full Loot MMOs, turning off all FFA Full Loot for the first Month

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I had this idea for how new FFA Full Loot Niche MMOs can should handle releases and post release. 

We already know that FFA Full Loot MMOs are very niche in this space. Most fail and the community of toxic PvPers run away all the PvEers and then eventually turn on each other, destroying the game "Generally"(Not all the time, but most of the time this happens).

I was thinking about some solutions to this without completely removing the FFA Full Loot stuff. There are many solutions to this of course. But this is one of my recent ideas that I theorized around for a bit and wanted to share.

What if for new FFA Full Loot MMOs, all the FFA Full Loot was disabled for the first month and a half after release, so players could get a chance to become more accustom to the game world, lore, gameplay and community and PvE elements, etc, which can build up player attachment, before dropping the "Potential" toxic bomb on them which is "The FFA Full Loot". 

Then I would do this in ONE WEEK PER MONTH Intervals, disabling the FFA Full Loot, giving time for players to jump back into the game on a consistent regular bases , which fuels the consumer base on the business side, and helps retention of players.

In many of the "Sandbox" FFA Full Loot MMOs over the years I would notice how the PvE side of the game was very limited and secretive. There was very little large scale open world PvE gameplay due to fear of the PvP and potential backstabing of ambush groups of PvPers during a PvE Boss encounter.  So this kind of content was very limited. Such as in Darkfall.

With this model I suggested above, the fun large scale open world PvE content could still be beneficial to Developers to make since for one week per month, that content would be full on supported by the PvE players that come in to play during that no FFA Full Loot period. Some of those players may continue to play when that FFA Full Loot is turned back on, and take that gamble. Which is the point of this idea. Creating retention.

Thoughts?

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

finefluff

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719

Thoughts?
    It's a trap.
    Kyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    Iselin said:

Thoughts?
    It's a trap.
    Retention Trap. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    How about coming up with a better idea than FFA loot?
    RemaliMendel
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038
    bait and switch, what a bad idea.  Dont you think there is a reason why full loot pvp is so unpopular lol.  How about make a game and advertise the game you made and not something else?
    Mendel
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    There would be an incredible amount of hate directed towards the game because no one likes to be taken in. Terrible idea based on deceit.
    BrainycheyaneMendel

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    FFA full loot MMO is simply an unfixably stupid idea.

FFA full loot is perfectly fine if you want to have a game that runs like a couple hours, or even shorter. Like Battle Royale.

But if you want to have a game with longterm motivation, like a MMO, and want to make people work for their equipment for extended periods of time, in case of raids even months, well with FFA full loot you can lose it at any time.

Ever heard of this thing commonly called ragequit ? Would hit you big time.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085
    Robokapp said:
    how does EVE do it? with security levels. 

We need ... that.

And here I just said unfixable.

Well yeah EVE pulled it off. Sort of.

Though I would have to point out, they did it by essentially removing the issue.

On top of that, they have permadeath. But they also did that by essentially removing that issue.

So you can calibrate the risk you take. You pick your less valueable starship and risk it in the high danger zone. And there is (effectively) no permadeath either, because you can clone yourself; if you die that just means your next clone takes over.

• UwakionnaUwakionna Member RarePosts: 1,139
    So basically, you want a game that suddenly tanks after a month.
    What is with people wanting to sucker people into a playstyle they dont want to play?  Why not make a game that attracts full loot players in the first place without relying on people that hate the playstyle.

Next up, game pays players crypto to be virtual targets in full loot pvp MMO.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    Why would you want to mislead people like this and expect any good will. Horrible idea.
    Mendel
    Chamber of Chains
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Morgenes83Morgenes83 Member UncommonPosts: 286
    I like some of the systems of Meridian.

One is (idk if it is still in) that you got hunt by a revenge angel if you ganked players below a certain HP threshold.

The other is the frenzies where the sky turns red and everyone can freely attack/kill everyone for some time, just to have the whole server being rolled back at the end.
    Kyleran

1997 Meridian 59 'til 2019 ESO 

Waiting for Camelot Unchained & Pantheon

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    I appear to be one of few who understood that the proposal to turn off full loot at the game's start and again for short periods monthly was to be an advertised feature of the game?

Not sure why so many here took the approach it was an intent to deceive, rather to give players a chance to try the game to see if the PVE content warranted putting up with the full loot PVP side.

There are players like me who carebeared it up in EVE for 10 years as there was a lot I liked, enough to make losing my stuff on an occasional basis worth the risk.

finefluff

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,164
    edited April 2023
    "PvEers and then eventually turn on each other"

Example? In game or on some forum? I've never seen this. Both sides have very toxic players, it's part of the whole MMORPG experience. 

Even when they took away TEF in SWG, which was a bad idea; only complaints I saw was from a few gank squad guilds. Once they added GCW everyone forgot about it and the pvers went about their business.  The closed thing I witnessed to annoying everyone was in BDO where one pve player on the forums insisted daily that they be able to make beer in peace, but no one turned on her. All I think people wanted then was the PvP quest that Korea had as a hardline if I remember, and eventually they fixed it.

A lot of self described PvE players I've know also participate in PvP, I think they just don't like non consensual PvP usually from exploiters, hackers and noob campers. I remember after BDO launched there were a few exploiters running around killing players with speed and invincibility hacks and everyone was pissed off.

I think the one thing that can kill a game is the game itself.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited April 2023
    Kyleran said:
    I appear to be one of few who understood that the proposal to turn off full loot at the game's start and again for short periods monthly was to be an advertised feature of the game?

Not sure why so many here took the approach it was an intent to deceive, rather to give players a chance to try the game to see if the PVE content warranted putting up with the full loot PVP side.

There are players like me who carebeared it up in EVE for 10 years as there was a lot I liked, enough to make losing my stuff on an occasional basis worth the risk.

OR they could just have a pve server?  LOL ok so bait and switch or PVE server so PVE players who want to pvp can test.  Hmmmm I wonder.

I will take Bait and Switch for 100 Alex, and next I want dead game for 1500.
  • OG_SolareusOG_Solareus Member RarePosts: 1,041
    edited April 2023
    Iselin said:

Thoughts?
    It's a trap.

The players playing FFA have all signed the waiver, that all you loot belong to me so really makes it more simple :)

Kyleran
  • fineflufffinefluff Member RarePosts: 561
    I think it’s a cool concept. They have could have a calendar and log in warning to alert players as to when it is enabled. Players that don’t want that risk can store all their valuables in their bank and keep playing. 

The only full loot pvp I played was wilderness pking back in Runescape. The game grew and succeded despite having a massive ffa pvp zone that was basically full loot. In Runescape you dropped all but your three most valuable items if you died and all of your items if you were skulled (you’d get a skull above your character if you attack another player first).

This shows that implementation matters. Most players will not like the entire world to be ffa full loot all the time. But if it’s relegated to specific zones or specific times or a specific mode, then it can be a novel and exciting experience for players every once in a while.

Hardcore ironman in WoW classic is growing in popularity. They even say Blizzard will add it as an official mode based on data mined information. This is even more hardcore than full loot pvp - you lose your character! Diablo and PoE also have such modes. This shows that a significant number of players enjoy high risk play, as long as they have control over when they engage in that experience.
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    edited April 2023
    Some games have tried limiting PVP at first....I think BDO it was level 50...Archage was level 35.....It doesnt really appeal to the non PVPer though...Once the PVP (especially FFA PVP) kicks in, we pretty much no longer have interest.