Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Palia Devs Say Over 600k Have Applied to Test the Cozy Sim, With Testers and Signups Showing Genre A

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2023 in News & Features Discussion

imagePalia Devs Say Over 600k Have Applied to Test the Cozy Sim, With Testers and Signups Showing Genre Appeal | MMORPG.com

Developer Singularity 6 has revealed some stats about its in-development cozy sim, Palia. The game, which promises a friendly, meaningful online experience, has gotten over 600k signups for playtesting and sustained interest.

Read the full story here

Comments

• NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    This is one, my wife and I are really looking forward too. I love that combat is optional but will have many types of combat systems and classes. I cant wait to see how they balance content. I love Zen game play.
    ZenJellyWordsworthMensurSailorMomTruvidiennSovrathTiller
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    I'm looking forward to this one. It won't be my main game, but I plan for this to be my relaxing game. Go kill pixel people and pixel creatures for a while, then decompress with some farming and setting up my house.
    ZenJelly
  • MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    I am looking forward to trying this game. Hopefully they have some deep crafting systems.
    ZenJelly

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,454
    Keeping my eye on this one. Maybe it'll be what EQ Next was trying to be before Sony/Daybreak axed it.
    ZenJelly
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,100
    I am also watching this keenly. I think I might be very happy in this game so cautiously optimistic about it.
    ZenJelly
    Chamber of Chains
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited March 2023
    "the wide appeal of a cozy and positive game focused on meaningful experiences and sharing".

So much positivity we should all be glowing. ;)

I think there is an agenda in the gaming media to be "on side" with games like this and be critical of the likes of Shooters.

I am not saying games like this have not been successful but as always we will see how good it is once we have the reviews. So yes Christina, put me down as one of the "skeptics", I would say pragmatics mind you.
    Post edited by Scot on
    ZenJelly
  • milayskymilaysky Member UncommonPosts: 39
    I would love this to be a good game. One for the relax and play.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Scot said:
    "the wide appeal of a cozy and positive game focused on meaningful experiences and sharing".

So much positivity we should all be glowing. ;)

I think there is an agenda in the gaming media to be "on side" with games like this and be critical of the likes of Shooters.

I am not saying games like this have not been successful but as always we will see how good it is once we have the reviews. So yes Christina, put me down as one of the "skeptics", I would pragmatics mind you.
    Or barfing.

Unlike some gamers I don't seek to escape my inner murder hobo, I embrace it, especially when fighting on the side of "good", which of course I get to decide what is good, and what is not.

600K signups shows there's some interest for sure, especially when it's something free, but long term success can be elusive so we'll see how it all plays out.

Likely without me of course.... :)
    RemaliScotZenJelly

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's a devious plot to get the few remaining non-gamers gaming. Like a gateway drug, they'll be killing zombies and buying surprise mechanics in no time, I tell you!

And only 600K sign-ups? They have to do a better marketing job There are many more vegans than that in California alone.

:)
    SovrathZenJellyMcSleazKyleran
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• halfmystichalfmystic Member RarePosts: 535
    Nothing for me has quite captured Stardew Valley's 'comfy' feel, I loved it a lot. Didn't rush at all, maximum relaxation.

I hope this one knocks it out of the park because I would love another game like that.
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    It kind of surprises me that so many are interested in this.  Normally, you would think that people want your standard killing this and killing that.  I think it speaks to where we are today.  People are stressed about everything these days and some relaxing fun might look more appealing than it otherwise
    otherwise would..
    ZenJelly
  • AngrakhanAngrakhan Member EpicPosts: 1,164
    Yeah we'll see. I can appreciate people wanting a game to just relax in without the stress of trying to min max everything and reach end game and grind your eyeballs out farming best in slot gear. However, on the other hand I've done "horizontal progression" before and found it amazingly boring, and that was in a game focused on combat. Doing horizontal progression in a game about holding hands with your friend while you go on a walk through the woods will likely literally put me to sleep at the keyboard. I wish them the best, though, because the genre needs to try new things and not just bang their heads against the wall trying to repeat the WoW formula. I think that dead horse has been beaten enough.
    ZenJelly
    Iselin said:
    It's a devious plot to get the few remaining non-gamers gaming. Like a gateway drug, they'll be killing zombies and buying surprise mechanics in no time, I tell you!

And only 600K sign-ups? They have to do a better marketing job There are many more vegans than that in California alone.

I so wish that were true, but the fawning attention these sort of games get always make it seem to me like gaming journalism thinks there is something wrong with the gaming we have now. Our gaming is not "positive" enough, we are not having "meaningful experiences" with "friendly gameplay".

Roll on the zombie killing!
    ZenJelly
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002
    It could be fun. I've signed up for continued information. I generally like exploring so as long as there is some combat that should be fine.

They ask what "3" games are your favorites from a list and several are games with combat.
    ZenJelly
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,983
    Sovrath said:
    It could be fun. I've signed up for continued information. I generally like exploring so as long as there is some combat that should be fine.

They ask what "3" games are your favorites from a list and several are games with combat.
    Yeah thats the trigger for going on the Do Not Invite list.

Sovrath

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    I'll be interested to see how well it does. I've played 3 games that didn't require combat, and had fun in them.

Ryzom -- I loved loading up with my packer, lighting a good cigar, and heading out for an evening of digging and exploring. Combat is optional if you can avoid mobs well enough.

PoTBS -- as a Freetrader, I spent many fun nights setting up my industries in different ports, hauling goods around, and manufacturing things to sell

No Man's Sky -- another combat-optional game that you can focus on exploration and crafting/building.

Of course, I like combat too, so if this game doesn't have it, or it's too clunky, I might not be that interested.
    Sovrath

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

Scot said:
    Iselin said:

I so wish that were true, but the fawning attention these sort of games get always make it seem to me like gaming journalism thinks there is something wrong with the gaming we have now. Our gaming is not "positive" enough, we are not having "meaningful experiences" with "friendly gameplay".

I wonder if it's more about most games, at least most prominent games, seem like games 13 year olds would enjoy?

Obviously it seems most of us are wayyyy older. 

But when one hears it out loud (or at least when I hear myself talking about it) I definitely get a bit self conscious ..

Then I lit my torch 'cause the dungeon was really dark and I made my way down only to find a GIANT Spider! I threw FIREBALLS at it but it poisoned me and I had to run only to head the wrong way into ZOMBIES ...

I docked on the space station and there was a GIANT ROBOT and it had LASERS and EVERYTHING and I had to fight it but the side of she space station blew out and I had to hang on for dear life. That's when I saw THE ALIEN!!!

It could be the people I call friends as most of them don't play video games and usually have a gentle eye roll when I describe them.

My one friend who tried Journey really like it precisely because it was chill and beautiful and as far as I know didn't have robots or monsters or fighting.

Scot

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• MensurMensur Member EpicPosts: 1,512
    I hope they have fishing leaderboards and competitions :D

mmorpg junkie since 1999

• 2TonGamer2TonGamer Member UncommonPosts: 50

Nothing for me has quite captured Stardew Valley's 'comfy' feel, I loved it a lot. Didn't rush at all, maximum relaxation.

I hope this one knocks it out of the park because I would love another game like that.

Dinkum isn't bad. It has a lot more to go, but so far it's got the Stardew Valley feel with the 3D look and also some Minecraftish terrain.
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,847
    Lots or people will sign up for any free play tests.

Because they're free.

When a game has the audacity to start asking for money these people will disappear.
    McSleazKyleran
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

Sovrath said:

I think this game has become misinformation 101. Optional combat means "combat will not be in this game, or will suck" allot of the Devs come from WoW and other MMOs that are well know for good and grounded combat.

IMO a game that does not rely on combat could have some solid content. Add also a solid combat content on top of that, could really make a winner.

I love games like Biomutant and Phoenix Rising. Where you can play for hours exploring and solving puzzles. Have left me shocked when I realized I have played for 1 to 2 hours and not fought single mobs. And when you get back into combat, it's a breath of fresh air, Becuase the combat is also fun. That's what I hope for in this game.
    strawhat0981Scot
    edited March 2023
    Sovrath said:
    Scot said:
    Iselin said:

I wonder if it's more about most games, at least most prominent games, seem like games 13 year olds would enjoy?

Obviously it seems most of us are wayyyy older. 

But when one hears it out loud (or at least when I hear myself talking about it) I definitely get a bit self conscious ..

Then I lit my torch 'cause the dungeon was really dark and I made my way down only to find a GIANT Spider! I threw FIREBALLS at it but it poisoned me and I had to run only to head the wrong way into ZOMBIES ...

I docked on the space station and there was a GIANT ROBOT and it had LASERS and EVERYTHING and I had to fight it but the side of she space station blew out and I had to hang on for dear life. That's when I saw THE ALIEN!!!

It could be the people I call friends as most of them don't play video games and usually have a gentle eye roll when I describe them.

My one friend who tried Journey really like it precisely because it was chill and beautiful and as far as I know didn't have robots or monsters or fighting.
    I would agree on that up to a point. Gaming started as very teenage focused and only certain genres or franchises have moved to the older than teens category.

But are these games more for adults? I would question that, in fact is this not a game pre-teens would enjoy?

Also is this not a game made more for girls? I believe that gaming media sees gaming as too much for the boys/ too violent and lauds anything that is seen as not involving fighting giant spiders and so on. My problem with this (as always) is are we getting good games or games being promoted because of an agenda? Not saying that assumption is right, I play some that fall in this category, but that may be how they see it.

Journey is on my wish list btw, since my last post I have reappraised the sort of game this might be. I like a game with puzzles and exploration myself, so I have an interest in making sure we are getting great games of that sort and not just ones with the cracks painted over because of pre-conceptions about the gaming industry.
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited March 2023
    Scot said:

So much positivity we should all be glowing. 

I am not saying games like this have not been successful but as always we will see how good it is once we have the reviews. So yes Christina, put me down as one of the "skeptics", I would say pragmatics mind you.
    Palia is a project where a Western dev is building an MMO that's quite a bit different from any other MMO out there. They have a decent budged, have made a playable alpha, and aren't asking us fans to finance their development.

There would be something wrong with MMORPG.com as a fansite if they weren't hyped for upcoming unique MMO at this point.
    Scot

Vrika said:
    Scot said:

So much positivity we should all be glowing. 

Palia is a project where a Western dev is building an MMO that's quite a bit different from any other MMO out there. They have a decent budged, have made a playable alpha, and aren't asking us fans to finance their development.

There would be something wrong with MMORPG.com as a fansite if they weren't hyped for upcoming unique MMO at this point.
    That's a fair point and we need to see diverse gameplay not "same as it always was", just hoping they play to great gameplay not trendy social concerns about gaming.
    Slapshot1188
    Scot said:

But are these games more for adults? I would question that, in fact is this not a game pre-teens would enjoy?

Also is this not a game made more for girls?

I would say this type of game is for teens and up. Not sure why it would be for girls. I mean, I like to blow things up as much as the next "bloke" but I'm perfectly fine with a game that has no 'splosions if it's engaging. I'm pretty sure  there are plenty of men who are on the same page.

Mendel