Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The List: 10 Of The Most Unique Classes In MMORPGs | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2023 in News & Features Discussion

imageThe List: 10 Of The Most Unique Classes In MMORPGs | MMORPG.com

Many MMORPGs make use of classes that are tried and true like mages, warriors, and paladins. While there's nothing wrong with going with the usual archetypes considering how deep build-crafting can be in a lot of MMOs, some games stand out with their unique classes that offer a fresh gameplay experience. Here are our picks for the ten of the most unique classes in MMORPGs.

Read the full story here

Comments

• mortarionmortarion Member UncommonPosts: 2
    Well, Lotro Wardens are not healers. Are dps or tanks with combo gambits. Lots of fun.
    ZenJelly
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    I still remember my tempest in rift he was a warrior inn plate shooting lighting bolts
    JHLotB
  • caalemcaalem Member UncommonPosts: 289
    eh? almost none of these. I found FF14's classes to be awful, differing only in animations/graphics. Only unique class is essentially just a minigame(blue mage.)

FF11 Red Mage was actually unique, FF14's red mage is a joke.
    EQ bard.
    Most EQ classes actually.
    Also, SWG.

Turning MMO classes into grey goo "bring the player not the class" has ruined a large part of this genre for me. It no longer feels like an RPG, just an MMO action game with numbers that go up.
    KyleranelveoneRaagnarzMallyxGorwekinkanat
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

mortarion said:

Well, Lotro Wardens are not healers. Are dps or tanks with combo gambits. Lots of fun.

I think that Wardens had some self healing in their gambits if I remember correctly, but as you say they aren't healers.
    Sovrath
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Rift Chloromancer: Mage class that could heal self and others based on the amount of damage done.

Warhammer Online's Warrior Priest/Disciple of Khaine: Same as Rift's Chloromancer but melee-based with tanky armor.
    SovrathJHLotBViper482ValdheimGorwe
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• DarkhawkeDarkhawke Member UncommonPosts: 212
    Vanguard .. pick any class.  /end
    SovrathGilcroixPr0tag0ni5tValdheimnajob75MyrdynncsthaoGorweKimoAdamantine
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,828
    The Minstrel in DAOC was one of my favorites. Able to stealth invisible, good crowd control with sleeps and stuns, decent melee dmg, and one of the best pet abilities in any game. Minis can tame pets that are higher level than they are, if they can keep them under control. Not to mention some movement speed buffs that can be applied to the whole group (with the croc ring).

City of Heroes has a lot of cool class combinations. The ice/ice blaster was my favorite. Besides being able to deal massive range dmg, it also has slows, sleeps, ice patches, ice storms, and freezes, making it a really good crowd control class.

The Captain is probably my favorite LoTRO class.

I tend to like complex utility classes with lots of different abilities, kind of like a jack-of-all-trades. The skill is using the right ability at the right time. Unfortunately, modern MMO's like ESO and New World won't let you play that way, since you have only a handful of abilities to use.
    KyleranValdheim

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• APThugAPThug Member RarePosts: 543
    There's a typo here; Virtuoso's are not a subclass of the necromancer, its mesmer. You are thinking of Harbinger, Necromancer's with main-hand pistols.

I also think Operative from swtor and Engineer from GW2 are very unique classes. Operative being a stealth healer or a backstabber and Engineer being super versatile and able to take on any and all roles.
    Mouloxtos85Valdheim

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    An average developer suggested: the Whale class.

JHLotBKyleranCalavryMcSleazRoin

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• Nick_ShivelyNick_Shively Member UncommonPosts: 81
    It's too bad the Mesmer in GW2 is a far cry from the one in Guild Wars. The original mesmer could control the battlefield or completely shutdown a single player. It was by far one of the most interesting and powerful classes ever created.

The Dervish from Guild Wars also had some pretty cool/unique way to build it, such as aura stacking and them removing them to do insane AOE damage and status effects.
    Valdheimnajob75Gorwe
  • foppoteefoppotee Member UncommonPosts: 508
    I think from the original Everquest the classes of: Bard & Monk were most different & unique for their time & afterwards.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    One of the worst lists I've ever seen. Shows the shallow pool of experience the author is pulling from.
    Gentrifried_ChickenValdheimnajob75GorweMusket-SquidKimo
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Weird to include both the Mesmer and the Virtuoso, which is just an alternate Mesmer. When the series also has such unique classes to pull from as the Revenant, Dervish, and Ritualist.
    ValdheimGorwe
  • VillapipoVillapipo Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Rift Chloromancer
    JHLotB
  • rainbowploofrainbowploof Newbie CommonPosts: 1

caalem said:

eh? almost none of these. I found FF14's classes to be awful, differing only in animations/graphics. Only unique class is essentially just a minigame(blue mage.)

FF11 Red Mage was actually unique, FF14's red mage is a joke.

EQ bard.

Most EQ classes actually.

Also, SWG.

Turning MMO classes into grey goo "bring the player not the class" has ruined a large part of this genre for me. It no longer feels like an RPG, just an MMO action game with numbers that go up.

Aww it must stink to have a such a bad opinion. So mad that the best MMO right now ( and the only one worth playing in the past 10 years let's be honest) is getting top list recognition. FF14 will continue to grow & you cry more hehe ❤️
    KyleranSensaiZenJellyRemaliashiru_1978KnightFalz
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351
    So the article is ten of the most unique classes in large, popular MMORPGs that don't really have anything all that unique?

You could easily come up with ten classes more unique than that from Uncharted Waters Online alone, such as the interpreter, sommelier, or salvager.
    Valdheimnajob75GorweAdamantine
  • CalavryCalavry Member UncommonPosts: 113
    Maybe he should try one of the Star Wars Galaxies emulators and role an Entertainer :).

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Merchant - Domo (uses money for attacks)
    Gambler - Wakfu (random battle lengths)
    Super Newb - Ragnarok Online (has powerful version of newb abilities)
    Animists - Dark Age of Camelot (plant summoner)
    Shadowknight - EQ2 (life steal tank)
    Rift - Chloromancer (plant based healer)
    Monk - EQ1 (dodge tank with self heal)
    GW2 - Revenant (Take on monsters abilites)
    Maple story - Mechanic (basically a pirate in a mech suit)
    Anarchy Online - Doctor (healer that can do debuffs as well)

That's just randomly off the top of my head which is more suitable for unique classes.

Gentrifried_ChickenRemaliAdamantine

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• LamiaCritterLamiaCritter Member UncommonPosts: 85
    10 most uniquea nd two of them are literally not unique.
    The Sith inquisitor? Really? That's just a generic-ass lightning mage.
    EQ2's warden? Yeah, no, that's literally just a druid.
    McSleazGilcroixRemaliValdheimGorwe
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    For me it was..

EQ1: Enchanter
    Rift: Bard
    DAoC: Minstrel

But there are some gems on that list.
    olepi
  • lothariclotharic Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Did chatGPT write this list?
    NanfoodleMcSleaznajob75Adamantine
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617

lotharic said:

Did chatGPT write this list?

I found this to be one of the better thought out write ups and all classes that have shined in the games that came from. I played most of them and loved them very much.
    Arglebargle
  • GilcroixGilcroix Member UncommonPosts: 262
    Bard - Vanguard

You could create you own songs and choose what buffs and stats went into them.
    Valdheimnajob75
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I must admit I am surprised by the inclusion of anything in SWTOR.

Mechanically, all of SWTOR's classes were very boring and straight forwards to play. Aesthetically they looked cool, can't deny that. But as a class? As a role? Nope, extremely vanilla.

As others mentioned, I'm surprised that non of SWG's classes (professions) made it into this list. SWTOR's smuggler was just a generic ranged DPS class, but SWG's smuggler? A class devoted to crafting drugs, slicing (improving) other peoples weapons and armour, trading faction standing for credits as well as a bit of pistols DPS? Far, far more unique.

How about SWG's image designer? A class that does nothing except alter the appearance and stats of other players, providing access to hairstyles and tattoos not otherwise available to players.
    ValdheimGilcroixRoin
  • Mylan12Mylan12 Member UncommonPosts: 288
    How could they leave out the EQ bard?
    The minstrel in DAoC while somewhat similar to the bard had its unique elements.
    The bard in Vanguard was unique also.

While I loved my Sith Inquisitors, it was fun but not unique just a fun mage/wizard like most every game has in some form.

Not many games have had anything resembling an EQ bard.
    ValdheimNanfoodle