Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

With Seasons, Transmog, and Rewards Coming, the New World Team Talks Designing Skins | MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited March 2023 in News & Features Discussion

imageWith Seasons, Transmog, and Rewards Coming, the New World Team Talks Designing Skins | MMORPG.com

The New World team discusses the design process for new skins and sets, how to keep them grounded in Aeternum, while offering distinct rewards and options for personal customization.

Read the full story here

Comments

• RaagnarzRaagnarz Member RarePosts: 576
    They consistently made the WORST looking skins of any game I have ever played. Everything they do is an affront to every sense you have and a few you probably don't even know you had until you see what repugnant skin of the month released next. I'm talking things like putting randon tree branches growing out of your head and body, or the need to put a sleep bag rolled up on your helmet, or my ever favorite using pastel pink blue and purple on most skins and thereby ruining the one or two well designed skins they had. Oh and of course in their infinite wisdom they made it so skins can't be dyed sooo. New World does a lot of good stuff, but their skins team is the biggest failure in gaming when it comes to doing their job well enough people actually buy what they made. I wanted to spend so much more on New World because I enjoyed it but things were just SO ugly I couldn't.
    SmeaghoulLTBKPetitSoldatApridiseRemaliAsm0deusdefroststarKyleranTruvidiennThe_Korrigan
  • DigDuggyDigDuggy Member RarePosts: 641
    I don't play anymore, but I think this is a good direction. I hate to admit it, but I like skins and I like the season method. I will say though, that I don't think they're very good at making skins.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    With very few exceptions, their skins are hideous and stick out like sore thumbs in a game that is exceptionally good at attractive world-building. They look like cheap Halloween costumes from a dollar store, especially the headpieces.

I have a hard time understanding how the same art director responsible for world design is giving his OK to the crap skins.
    OldKingLogPetitSoldatApridiseAsm0deusdefroststarKyleranThe_KorriganKimo
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    Iselin said:
    With very few exceptions, their skins are hideous and stick out like sore thumbs in a game that is exceptionally good at attractive world-building. They look like cheap Halloween costumes from a dollar store, especially the headpieces.

I have a hard time understanding how the same art director responsible for world design is giving his OK to the crap skins.

I'm going to assume those assets are outsourced, because AGS being such a tiny indie studio on a shoestring budget can't create them in house.
    Kyleran
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Only game I played for more than a month and never bought a skin
    Even if they were free I wouldnt wear them
    Kyleran
  • PetitSoldatPetitSoldat Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Absolutely the entire community has the same opinion on this: NW skins are HORRIBLE. Let's put this pompous innovation aside and keep things simple, for God's sake. I'm tired of seeing bright clowns around Aeternum.
    Asm0deusdefroststarKyleran
  • Asm0deusAsm0deus Member EpicPosts: 4,403
    edited March 2023
    It's pretty funny they say they listen to "player feedback" since they have been ignoring player feedback on skins since day one.

In the official forum we call them clown skins as that what they look like, they ignore what people want...I mean for crying out loud there a huge thread on skins they wont even acknowledge.......

NW is a example of what to do if you do not want people to buy your skins.

Lots of flights of fancy is involved when the devs speak in these videos as they try to pat themselves on the back when it comes to some things.

I have said it before lately in another thread but its funny how they can make a world look good, I especially like MD when its raining yet make such horrendous skins time and again then turn around and say they are listening to player feed back..... They need to fire who ever is making these skins and keeping the same kind of clown costumes coming out...

......seriously I am still sitting on 25k cash shop currency from launch day cause there has not been one decent looking skin in the shop I want to buy....
    ScotRaagnarz

Brenics ~ Just to point out I do believe Chris Roberts is going down as the man who cheated backers and took down crowdfunding for gaming.

• ashiru_1978ashiru_1978 Member RarePosts: 818

Remali said:

I played ~2000+ hours of LOTRO between 2021 and 2023, bought almost all content except for some quest packs I earned for free in a giveaway. Never bought any useless cosmetics. The only thing I bought that may seem close to cosmetics in a sense was VIP and that was only to unlock some benefits that I think are now free with the base game if you create a new account.

I have yet to find a game that is SO GOOD, that I love so much that I would buy useless cosmetics in it.
  • [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited March 2023
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914

Remali said:

I played ~2000+ hours of LOTRO between 2021 and 2023, bought almost all content except for some quest packs I earned for free in a giveaway. Never bought any useless cosmetics. The only thing I bought that may seem close to cosmetics in a sense was VIP and that was only to unlock some benefits that I think are now free with the base game if you create a new account.

I have yet to find a game that is SO GOOD, that I love so much that I would buy useless cosmetics in it.
    I like my chars to look good
    Some ppl even select randomize in the character creator I have never done it
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    The skins show a huge flaw in this directionless mess of a game, the complete and utter lack of cohesion. Games spanning large amounts of time are not uncommon but NW is just a mess and look like they are buying assets from random artists to try and flog in the cash shop.

Theres no rhyme or reason to the skins which means theres no immersion to be had which alienates a good portion of the playerbase, poor AI alienates more, changing crafting from being good to worthless to vital to worthless again alienates more, piss poor pvp alienates yet more players.

I have never seen anything as random as New World, no one is leading this mess, theres no plan in place, just throwing any random crap at it and praying it sticks and this junk is just to try and claw back pennies on the millions they spent.
    BrainyOldKingLog
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166

Absolutely the entire community has the same opinion on this: NW skins are HORRIBLE. Let's put this pompous innovation aside and keep things simple, for God's sake. I'm tired of seeing bright clowns around Aeternum.

It sounds like the entire community does not in fact agree if you're tired of seeing the skins being used.
  • BrainyBrainy Member EpicPosts: 2,038

It sounds like the entire community does not in fact agree if you're tired of seeing the skins being used.
    Maybe not the "entire" community, but almost the entire community is very probable.
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,166
    Brainy said:

Maybe not the "entire" community, but almost the entire community is very probable.

I would not be at all surprised if a sizable majority felt so.
  • OldKingLogOldKingLog Member RarePosts: 564
    The skins show a huge flaw in this directionless mess of a game, the complete and utter lack of cohesion. Games spanning large amounts of time are not uncommon but NW is just a mess and look like they are buying assets from random artists to try and flog in the cash shop.

Theres no rhyme or reason to the skins which means theres no immersion to be had which alienates a good portion of the playerbase, poor AI alienates more, changing crafting from being good to worthless to vital to worthless again alienates more, piss poor pvp alienates yet more players.

I have never seen anything as random as New World, no one is leading this mess, theres no plan in place, just throwing any random crap at it and praying it sticks and this junk is just to try and claw back pennies on the millions they spent.

As I've said before it just seems like monkeys with typewriters at this point.
  • The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,459
    Iselin said:

Aye. I'm using the "wheel of time" skins mostly for armor, at least those look "normal" and fit the "native american" style of my character.

There are very few shop skins that are cool looking. The metal raven one is nice, the one from the desert package too, and there's a viking style outfit which is pretty cool. The woodsman outfit that came with the preorder is nice and simple too, I was using that one before the Wheel of Time gear.

Everything else makes you look like a clown in some carnival, not an adventurer.
    Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Iselin said:

Aye. I'm using the "wheel of time" skins mostly for armor, at least those look "normal" and fit the "native american" style of my character.

There are very few shop skins that are cool looking. The metal raven one is nice, the one from the desert package too, and there's a viking style outfit which is pretty cool. The woodsman outfit that came with the preorder is nice and simple too, I was using that one before the Wheel of Time gear.

Everything else makes you look like a clown in some carnival, not an adventurer.
    The helmets/masks in the game are the worst, especially in the cash shop.

My fire mage character just turns them off, fortunately my alt melee got a decent looking outfit including a baller hat from the in game gear.
    The_Korrigan

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon