Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Path of Titans - my review.

eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
edited March 2023 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Ok, so I will share my opinion about the game I am currently playing: Path of Titans (PoT)

PoT is a MMO survival game (up to 200 players/server) involving dinosaurs and other prehistoric creatures.

I am currently having a blast with it.

The game is simple: you start as a juvenile and grow your dino up to the adult stage. For this reason there are overall two stages:
- stealth and escape the predators when you are young.
- spread the terror when you're adult.
And... well that's about it! (almost)

Let's start with some issues:
- the game is in early access ("in development" as the devs state) and thus a bit rough around the edges and sometimes bland/lacking content
- notably the questing is a node harvesting simulator which is rudimentary but acceptable for herbivores. However it is a strong offender for carnivores that have to pick flowers, nuts, and other pinecones on in order to grow  :(
- this is also a gankfest and might not be for everyone. Especially knowing that you lose a chunk of progression each time you die.

The good:
- the creature design is great and they are a real pleasure to look at.
- the maps (there are two, nowadays everybody goes on the new one "Gondwa") are well designed. They include many areas with distinctive identities, which makes traveling from one area to another very pleasant. There is a lot of well made weathers and a day/night cycle.
- there are many dinos to pick from (almost 20). Most of them feel really different to play than the others. This variety is very welcomed. You can be a giant T-Rex or a micro-raptor. You can stomp the earth, or spread your wings and fly. Some others are just hanging in the water. Yes, you can explore the magnificent depths of the ocean (even if right now there is not so much life there)
- the game is thrilling: when you start young, danger is everywhere. You hear in terror the squawkings, the roarings and the stompings. The quests are dull in themselves, but they are designed to make the players move, and create encounters that are always uncertain. The fresh water is scarce which funnels the creatures to the lakes. Here the behaviors varies but are often violent.
- some players find the combat basic, but I think it is filling the bill properly because it requires skill. Damage is locational (injury on tail is not as bad as on the head), rotation speed is important (biting the other without being bitten). Terrain awareness and managing stamina properly are of paramount importance. Each creature has also a set of abilities to use.
- speaking of abilities, you have a little bit of freedom to built your dino: from a subspecies that you select at the creation to the set of abilities you are going to use each time you get out of your homecave.
- the game is available on all platforms (it shines obviously on PC)
- endgame activities (beyond just playing the game) include unlocking skins, and designing your homecave using ingame currency earned from questing/killing adult dinos.

Differences with "the Isle" (older competitor) and PoT according to what I've read (I never played the Isle)
- The Isle is more beautiful but runs like a potatoe even on high-end machines
- The Isle features permadeath / PoT inflicts a loss of progression on death
- More dinos on PoT
- More features on the Isle (nesting/more abilities)
- The Isle has a bad reputation of being abondonware with unpopular moderators ingame.
- PoE is too young to earn any kind of reputation good or bad.

General negative opinions about PoT:

Players often complain about:
- being killed on sight (yes some people do not accept to be freely eaten in a dino game!)
- mixpacking (carni / herbi working together)
- packs that exceed the grouping limits and rules (coordinated with third party softwares such as Discord)
- the anodontosaurus (some sort of ankylosaurus)

Personal opinion as a conclusion:
I thought that survival games and their chaotic PvP were not for me because:
- they usually feature crafting as a major gameplay element. And I hate crafting!
- nowadays, I play solo most of the time which is frustrating when people group and gank.
Well, I realized that I absolutely love the non-scripted aspect and the challenge of it. Moreover, (if we except decorating the instantiated  homecave) there is no crafting whatsoever. Here, you just have to jump in and avoid trouble! Unless of course... you actively look for it  >:)

PS: if you decide to play this game, I strongly advise you to start with a fast dino that stays relevant later on. The concavenator, the pachycephalosaurus, or the ceratosaurus are good examples(especially the cera which is very versatile). It will allow you to discover the map, to quest easily, and thus to progress faster. When you know the map well, you are ready to create an apex predator, which is more powerful but generally also slower and might be the target of packs.

Post edited by eoloe on
maskedweaselScotTokkenOG_Solareus

Comments

• Cmccu84Cmccu84 Member UncommonPosts: 18
    Not bad man very informative
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    To many words. I'll get a seizure trying to read that, what's the short version ?
    eoloe
  • DattelisDattelis Member RarePosts: 1,456
    Unfortunately, I stopped reading after gankfest, good luck to those that try it out though.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Path of Titans

A link would be good in the OP's post. Is it launched yet or still being developed? 
    Tokken
  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081
    Scot said:
    Path of Titans

A link would be good in the OP's post. Is it launched yet or still being developed? 
    good point, Was thing of the Clash of the titans, an old movie
    Scot said:
    Path of Titans

good point, Was thing of the Clash of the titans, an old movie
    Also with a more recent and rather poor remake.
    Mendel
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Scot said:
    Path of Titans

It is written in the "issue" section: it is EA.
    eoloe said:
    Scot said:
    Path of Titans

It is written in the "issue" section: it is EA.
    My bad, too much skimming, until its launched I wont touch it, but give us a heads up when it does it looks interesting. 
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    edited March 2023
    Console only? 
    Something like this actually sounds like a rather simple, fun, and largely relaxing game for Casual+ players. I could be wrong, I guess it depends on world size vs. server size. 
    I have thought about an African critter game along these lines. 

CS?

Once upon a time....

edited March 2023
    Console only? 
    Something like this actually sounds like a rather simple, fun, and largely relaxing game for Casual+ players. I could be wrong, I guess it depends on world size vs. server size. 
    I have thought about an African critter game along these lines. 

CS?

It is on all platforms.

But it shines on PC (like should all games?). That said even if I am KB/Mouse kind of guy, I understand that it must be great with a controller as well (xbox/PS).

Relaxing?

Not as a juvenile.
    ----------------------
    You are literally a snack on legs. You goal is to stealth, escape the most populated areas or get hunted. The best tactic when you spawn out of tutorial is to GTFO of the starter areas that are well known hunting grounds.

If you manage to do so, then there are some areas on the map that are really chill.

As adult (relaxing?)
    -------------------------
    It depends. If you play a big herbi and know your stuff, you will not be easy to take down. Be wary of roaming packs though. If you chill in a herbi group, you are pretty safe. Again an important element for a chill experience is to avoid most common PvP areas.

If (like me) you are a trouble maker, then no, it is not relaxing. But it is thrilling :)

If you really want a chill experience,
    ----------------------------------------------
    Select the Thalassodromeus (AKA "bird") which is a flying pterosaur that is able to swim.
    Since you fly, no one can touch you except other "bird" players (who are usually not aggressive). You can rest on unreachable spots. And you can spectate and comment on global chat the fights you witness.
    Bird is also known for its squawking, which sound like a very loud annoying taunt.

Scot said:
    Path of Titans

Added.